Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

22 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

I'm back.  I've been forewarned. No major pain yet but that will come later today, tomorrow.  I'm ready for it!  Remember, I had open surgery, not laparoscopic.  I forgot to ask the surgeon why he chose that route.

Most pain is a sore throat from the tube stuck down my throat during surgery.

I'm armed with hydrocodone and motrin to hopefully zap any pain that pops up.

Again, thank you all for your good wishes.  Dani created a wonderful community of caring friends.  It's comforting to know we're here for each other to share our lives, good or bad.

I'm pleased to hear your operation was successful Bonnie.

Best wishes for a pain free recovery.

d32faa347e4b815a41d9a250f13fe0dd.gif

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

I'm back.  I've been forewarned. No major pain yet but that will come later today, tomorrow.  I'm ready for it!  Remember, I had open surgery, not laparoscopic.  I forgot to ask the surgeon why he chose that route.

Again, thank you all for your good wishes.  Dani created a wonderful community of caring friends.  It's comforting to know we're here for each other to share our lives, good or bad.

Thankful it went well for you!  I hope you have a quick recovery!  The hydrocodone works great for my kidney stones pain.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, schooner_Drinker said:

Joy, you and Andy 🐾✔️ added to both cc roll calls.

Will be nice to see you again, hopefully no wheelchair for you this time around 😇

Ha ha ha, you had to bring that up!  Hoping to see you and Grant in the Quest!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you @1ANGELCAT.

Very sad news.

Prayers 🙏 and Condolences to the crews family and friends.

Prayers 🙏 for the passengers and other crew too.

We are all one cruising family.

Graham.

+1 @1ANGELCAT  prayers for all involved or affected.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Bonnie, prayers for a speedy pain free recovery 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Hope things go as smooth as possible. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

@BonTexasNY

Prayers for a safe healthy recovery period.  

Rest up. Take care

Sue, and OB, I've had 5 surgeries, and this is the first time hydrocodone actually is effective for pain management. OR perhaps the pain isn't too severe to begin with?  I've been taking it around the clock no matter what.  This is the nurse's recommendation. I would appreciate your professional opinion.  This is the place for it. 🤔

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good afternoon, I know this a Royal Caribbean thread, but I ask for prayers and support to the passengers, crew and officers of Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam.

Ar approximately 9 am this morning, the fire alarm was sounded and the master of the vessel announced that there was a steam leak and crew quarters were being evacuated. 
Tragically, a steam line exploded and 2 crew members were killed.💔

The ship is currently at Half Moon Cay and is awaiting permission to leave.

Thanks. That is really sad. People should never have to go to work expecting to die. The unexpected sometimes happens, but I am sorry for them and their families. 

It was kind of a sad news day all around. It is awful to hear about the King and tragic to read about Catherine. What a difficult thing for the family to be going through. 

We wish them all well. Comfort for the families of the crew members. And healing and hope for the royal family members. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Sue, and OB, I've had 5 surgeries, and this is the first time hydrocodone actually is effective for pain management. OR perhaps the pain isn't too severe to begin with?  I've been taking it around the clock no matter what.  This is the nurse's recommendation. I would appreciate your professional opinion.  This is the place for it. 🤔

Now days doctors are very conscious about ordering pain meds/ narcotics. 

The current standard has been to attain surgical and post op course with a “ non narcotic” approach. 

As I was getting ready to retire we were transitioning in this current safety protocol. 
For our area it was not 100% narcotic free surgical pain management nor post op. 
But a combination of various blocks, receptor blocking meds…………

But aside from all the mumbo jumbo it provides a physician directed guided plan. 
Your physician and his/her closet medical team will direct your care knowing from experience what the most common healing time frame is. 

That is one of the reasons your prescription for pain meds has a case determined number of pills with no refills. 

Ok. So now to answer your question. 
When we send a person home with post op instructions we too tell them to take the pain med ordered “Around the clock” for the immediate post op recovery phase. Usual not to exceed 3-4 days. 

Why?

if you block your own bodies nerve pathways before the pain starts than the goal and you have one happy camper. 

Also another factor is the individual surgical procedure and the level of pain it produces. 

Remember I am a Nurse. Anesthetist. And practiced side by side with Anesthesiologist  who were educated in more detail in the practice of medicine than I. so I always had a great resource person. 

Oh so much mumbo jumbo. 

However. All being said. 
Take “their advice”

They know best. 
You can read my view. 
But I do not know all your health history or needs to determine what is best for you. 
But as a friend I will attempt to help you understand what your physician ordered. 
AS YOU PRACTICE HIS INSTRUCTIONS.  

But what I can say is it is done. All over. HAPPY HEALING. 

SUE

❤️

Edited by Lionesss
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Coralc said:

Thanks. That is really sad. People should never have to go to work expecting to die. The unexpected sometimes happens, but I am sorry for them and their families. 

It was kind of a sad news day all around. It is awful to hear about the King and tragic to read about Catherine. What a difficult thing for the family to be going through. 

We wish them all well. Comfort for the families of the crew members. And healing and hope for the royal family members. 

+ 1  every word, Pat.

@1ANGELCAT, @grapau27

@BonTexasNY

Bonnie, Glad you're "after", and so far -- so good. Let it continue like this 👍

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Wishing you a speedy recovery

@h20skibum  your grandchildren are so talented it’s amazing. 

@Sea Dog  your cruise itinerary looks amazing just wish it didn’t include Easter Sunday. I am considering it though 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Lionesss said:

The current standard has been to attain surgical and post op course with a “ non narcotic” approach. 

As I was getting ready to retire we were transitioning in this current safety protocol. 
For our area it was not 100% narcotic free surgical pain management nor post op. 

But aside from all the mumbo jumbo it provides a physician directed guided plan. 
Your physician and his/her closet medical team will direct your care knowing from experience what the most common healing time frame is. 

That is one of the reasons your prescription for pain meds has a case determined number of pills with no refills. 

When we send a person home with post op instructions we too tell them to take the pain med ordered “Around the clock” for the immediate post op recovery phase. Usual not to exceed 3-4 days. 

Why?

if you block your own bodies nerve pathways before the pain starts than the goal and you have one happy camper. 

Also another factor is the individual surgical procedure and the level of pain it produces. 

Remember I am a Nurse. Anesthetist. And practiced side by side with Anesthesiologist  who were educated in more detail in the practice of medicine than I. so I always had a great resource person. 

Oh so much mumbo jumbo. 

However. All being said. 
Take “their advice”

They know best. 
You can read my view. 
But I do not know all your health history or needs to determine what is best for you. 
But as a friend I will attempt to help you understand what your physician ordered. 

SUE

❤️

Sue, thank you so much.  Your advice is always spot on.  I'm taking pain meds as my doctor ordered. I slept very well since I hardly move once asleep. I credit our tempurpedic mattress.  It envelopes me and cuts down on moving.  I highly recommend it. Getting out of bed however, elicited a major loud groan, low scream.  So, I learned, not to move. 😏

I know my liittle itty bitty hernia open surgery is minor compared to what other folks are going through or have gone through but pain is pain and I'm glad mine is manageable.  May all of our pains never get greater.

Oh, one benefit is that Jack made breakfast and cleaned up.  Yes!

• Like 5

1 minute ago, BonTexasNY said:

My original post gotten eaten in cyber space.  I'll try to recreate.

@Lionesss Sue, your advice is always spot on.  Day 2 today, meds around the clock as the doc advised.  I slept well but I saw stars when I got out of bed.  Hardly any pain when not moving but killer pain when I move those tummy muscles.  I love our tempurpedic mattress.  It envelopes me and inhibits movement.  I highly recommend it.

So, I am sitting comfy in my recliner, trying to move as little as possible.  One benefit is that Jack made breakfast and cleaned up.  Yes!

I know my itty bitty open hernia surgery is minor compared to those surgeries in here others have experienced, but pain is pain.....sigh.

• Like 19

7 hours ago, Lionesss said:

Why?

Oh so much mumbo jumbo. 

However. All being said. 
Take “their advice”

They know best. 
You can read my view. 

SUE

❤️

Sue , your last paragraph is the best advice ever given on here.  

28 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

IMG_0563.thumb.jpeg.fccaa5ecb81c1a8dcb2b01d7051ec7f3.jpegMy grandson is a Rangers fan.  These are the party cookies he is giving his friends😁IMG_0562.thumb.jpeg.959678d659f4fb4341ca92bbf1b26c90.jpeg

These are amazing. Looks like they will have a great party. 

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

IMG_0563.thumb.jpeg.fccaa5ecb81c1a8dcb2b01d7051ec7f3.jpegMy grandson is a Rangers fan.  These are the party cookies he is giving his friends😁IMG_0562.thumb.jpeg.959678d659f4fb4341ca92bbf1b26c90.jpeg

Those cookies look great.  I am sure they will be enjoyed.

• Like 2