Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

5 hours ago, island lady said:

We had a big rig tractor trailer pass us on extremely busy I-75 3 days ago.  Not unusual.  We keep just under the speed limit and stick to the slow lane.  Passing us is fine, but trying to cut back in before he was actually past us...not so good.  Happened so fast that Bucky did not even have time to blow the horn.  

Luckily was just enough room along the side of the highway to quickly jerk out of his way (not easy with a large RV and a Jeep towing behind us).   Defense driving saved us and avoided a major accident, especially since we were going over a long low bridge on the water.   Things were shook up inside the land yacht, and we felt the bumps of the side of the road pretty hard, but he was able to keep it on the road and get back on.  

The jerk truck driver sped up big time, guessing he knew what he did...I was unable to catch the name on the truck or his license tag number.  Definitely made the blood pressure rise!!  😮 

Just one more reason to be done with RV travel.  We already had one careless 16 year old smash up our first RV cutting us off on a highway entrance ramp in Michigan.  This was just a reminder.  

Prefer to have the ship's captain drive us now.  😉 

In 1977 I was driving on an icy street and teenagers decided to run me off the road.I lost control of my car and smashed into a lamp post.I was not injured but my car sustained damage.I was able to get out of the car and walk two blocks to a pay phone and called Toby’s step father to get me home .Those teens are in their 60’s now .

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

In 1977 I was driving on an icy street and teenagers decided to run me off the road.I lost control of my car and smashed into a lamp post.I was not injured but my car sustained damage.I was able to get out of the car and walk two blocks to a pay phone and called Toby’s step father to get me home .Those teens are in their 60’s now .

OMG - thankful you were okay and able to walk to a pay phone.     There is something I have not heard in ages - pay phones!    As a teenage girl I was always told to keep a dime or quarter in my pocket for emergencies.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Thank you.     I love going to weddings but also know they are very costly here in the US and I always think it is really necessary to spend $50,000 to $100,000 on a wedding that lasts just a couple of hours and what the young couples could do with that money - like buy their first house, etc.      

So happy when I heard our Son and his Fiance decided they do Not want a big wedding at all.    They want just a small simple day with immediate family and friends - probably 25 to 30 people at most.    I suggested they get married on a cruise ship or a caribbean island.   My brother and his wife got married in St Lucia then came home and had a reception in their back yard.

My younger daughter and her then fiancé were in St.Kitts to look at a place for a destination wedding.They liked it so much that they got married on the spot.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yes, we have a list from our wedding on gift funds we received too.  It is stored with all other wedding memorabilia. 

Our wedding was about 120 people - which was more than we wanted but once my Mother got started on the list and saying we "have to invite so and so" .   

I would have been happy with a simple beach wedding with just immediate family and close friends.    

It has always been that the brides family pays for the wedding .It the grooms family wants a different arrangement then it is discussed.

38 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Keep hearing on the news that nor'easter, possibly 2 of them, will be hitting us this week.   Possible bomb cyclones.       One starting this evening saying wind gusts of 60 to 80 mph.    Generator is already to go, if needed.    Hopefully it won't be as bad as they saying it could be.     Good luck to everyone in the area.

At least it isn't going to be snow. However, the trees still have their leaves and that make them vulnerable to the wind.

• Like 2

Just now, lenquixote66 said:

It has always been that the brides family pays for the wedding .It the grooms family wants a different arrangement then it is discussed.

I wasn't sure if that tradition applied to Israel so I had to ask Dani.    You know what they say about curiosity - LOL 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Keep hearing on the news that nor'easter, possibly 2 of them, will be hitting us this week.   Possible bomb cyclones.       One starting this evening saying wind gusts of 60 to 80 mph.    Generator is already to go, if needed.    Hopefully it won't be as bad as they saying it could be.     Good luck to everyone in the area.

Here it is expected to be 40-60 mph starting at 11 PM.My younger daughter is sleeping here tonight in case we have a problem and my son in law,Mallory’s father is staying home from work tomorrow and let us know that we can call him if we have a problem.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I found the best thing for a dad is to take a step back and try not to add up the cost.

When I got married, I was told to just say, "Yes dear, whatever you and your mother want".  I imagine that applies equally well to the father of the bride.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

OMG - thankful you were okay and able to walk to a pay phone.     There is something I have not heard in ages - pay phones!    As a teenage girl I was always told to keep a dime or quarter in my pocket for emergencies.

In 1998 it was snowing when I left work so I opted to take an express bus home rather than the subway.The bus broke down ,no heat or lights.The bus driver told us passengers that we could either stay on the bus till a replacement bus would come or get off.It was in a high crime area very far from where I lived.I was going to stay on the bus.A woman said she was pregnant and preferred to walk to a pay phone and call her husband to pick her up.She asked if someone would go with her.I was the only one who said I would go.She said her husband would drive me home.We found a phone booth.She called him.I told her to stay inside the booth with the door closed .I stayed. outside.Her husband arrived 30 minutes later and said he was not taking me home.She yelled at him.When he arrived at his house he said he was not going any further and I would have to get out.

It was late at night and I was a mile from home.I found another phone booth ,called Toby and told her that the bus broke down and I was walking home.I did not tell her what happened.I then walked home.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

When I got married, I was told to just say, "Yes dear, whatever you and your mother want".  I imagine that applies equally well to the father of the bride.

In January I will be married 55 years.Saying  Yes,dear whatever you want is the norm in my house.😀

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

What will get to her soon is not being able to get things done.

This is particulary frustering, wanting or needing to get stuff done and having to wait it out.  Seems like the smallest injury these days takes forever to heal.  I hope tomorrow's visit goes ok. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

In 1998 it was snowing when I left work so I opted to take an express bus home rather than the subway.The bus broke down ,no heat or lights.The bus driver told us passengers that we could either stay on the bus till a replacement bus would come or get off.It was in a high crime area very far from where I lived.I was going to stay on the bus.A woman said she was pregnant and preferred to walk to a pay phone and call her husband to pick her up.She asked if someone would go with her.I was the only one who said I would go.She said her husband would drive me home.We found a phone booth.She called him.I told her to stay inside the booth with the door closed .I stayed. outside.Her husband arrived 30 minutes later and said he was not taking me home.She yelled at him.When he arrived at his house he said he was not going any further and I would have to get out.

It was late at night and I was a mile from home.I found another phone booth ,called Toby and told her that the bus broke down and I was walking home.I did not tell her what happened.I then walked home.

What a inconsiderate jerk that guy was!  To think, you were the only one willing to help her out and never considered the danger you put yourself in while waiting for him to show up. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

No. It is usually done "fifty-fifty"....

BUT, suppose one of the parties wants a big and costly wedding, and the other party doesn't have the means for it, or one party has 20% and the other 80% of the guests, an "agreement" is reached, proportionate mainly.

The first 2 weddings we've been to -- the couples were well into their thirties, and they paid for the wedding, with the parents adding symbolic gestures, like the bride's dress or groom's suit.

Our married son has done the same, and they broke even (+ 2000$).

I was 42 when I got married and I paid for it , even though most of the invites went to friends of my mother in law.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sheal said:

What a inconsiderate jerk that guy was!  To think, you were the only one willing to help her out and never considered the danger you put yourself in while waiting for him to show up. 

Yes,a week later I met the woman in a store and she could not stop apologizing .She was very embarrassed.I told her that I was not angry at her.I never saw either one of them again.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

As a teenage girl I was always told to keep a dime or quarter in my pocket for emergencies.

Me also!😁

45 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

My younger daughter and her then fiancé were in St.Kitts to look at a place for a destination wedding.They liked it so much that they got married on the spot.

One of our 3 daughters was married in Poets Walk, Central Park.  We arrived by Horse and Carriage.  ❤️

42 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Jim and I paid for our own Wedding. 

• Like 7

53 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Here it is expected to be 40-60 mph starting at 11 PM.My younger daughter is sleeping here tonight in case we have a problem and my son in law,Mallory’s father is staying home from work tomorrow and let us know that we can call him if we have a problem.

You have a wonderful family 🥰

Rain to start here in lbi after 10 pm.    I heard from my neighbor at home in bucks county that thunderstorm with pouring rain has started there.  We have had a lot of rain the last couple of months, tired of it.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Very nice of you to help her.  

He sounds like a big Jerk!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coralc said:

Oh. We had a bomb cyclone here over the weekend. :classic_biggrin: It sounds scarier than they actually are. But a lot of trees fell over, some flooding and a lot of rain. That's okay. We can use the rain. :classic_biggrin::classic_smile:

I saw on the news the rain, flooding mud slides, etc in CA.  At least the fires are done.🤗

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Me also!😁

One of our 3 daughters was married in Poets Walk, Central Park.  We arrived by Horse and Carriage.  ❤️

Jim and I paid for our own Wedding. 

We did not.Toby’s mother paid 50% and my parents paid 50%.One interesting thing about our wedding is that I have the list of gifts we received from every person who came.I look at it occasionally.The amounts considered generous in 1967 have changed greatly.😀

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Anyone planning to catch the start of the new Below Deck season tonight?

Doing my usual and recording.  I still have to watch the after events of below deck med and see the confrontation between Matt and Sandy.

Definitely look forward to Captain Lee and Chef Rachel.