Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

10 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

First time I’ve seen an envelope for additional gratuities on top of the gratuities. 
In the old days we’d find several ready to be filled. 
Then came automatic gratuities. 
Then came cruisers that liked to give a little extra to people that went above and beyond. 
And now there are expectations to be met. Or ignored. 

The last 3 cruises, we received 2 envelopes.  Had to go to guest services to pick up more, because we usually give in addition to the daily grats.  With the lower passenger counts, they have been very appreciative.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

First time I’ve seen an envelope for additional gratuities on top of the gratuities. 
In the old days we’d find several ready to be filled. 
Then came automatic gratuities. 
Then came cruisers that liked to give a little extra to people that went above and beyond. 
And now there are expectations to be met. Or ignored. 

They put that all the time now, Mimi. Having said that we did not get one with our tags this time.

We have an excellent room attendant and I will miss her. She is a lovely person. And envelope or not she got something at the start and will definitely get some more this evening. 

While on thus I wanted mention: The crew on this ship has a great morale, are happy, very hardworking and great. I am noticing a big difference from the Anthem crew from November,  not that they were not good. Happy is what comes to mind.....management is happy from top down, starting from Captain Per...reflects on the staff attitudes too. Saw that with Captain Kate and her crew on Celebrity. 

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Thanks OB (and everyone else currently cruising) for your comments from your ship this week.  Life is so much better when you're able to live vicariously through someone else on a cruise ship.  Good luck with your trip home.  If you get stuck in Florida, hopefully you'll have a little warmer temps than northern Florida.  Freeze warning for us tonight.

This will be one of those nights when some people turn their sprinklers on so they have icicles and decorated trees and bushes in the morning. 
The Florida version of a wintry landscape. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

They put that all the time now, Mimi. Having said that we did not get one with our tags this time.

We have an excellent room attendant and I will miss her. She is a lovely person. And envelope or not she got something at the start and will definitely get some more this evening. 

While on thus I wanted mention: The crew on this ship has a great morale, are happy, very hardworking and great. I am noticing a big difference from the Anthem crew from November,  not that they were not good. Happy is what comes to mind.....management is happy from top down, starting from Captain Per...reflects on the staff attitudes too. Saw that with Captain Kate and her crew on Celebrity. 

I would say the very same thing about the crew on Allure. They have been great. If they are stressed out then they are the ultimate professionals and not showing it.

Maybe they keep it.... Below Deck. Sorry, just had to slip that in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

My lifeguard story...When I was in my 20s and single, I'd rent a house on the south Jersey shore every summer with a group of guys.  We'd go there every weekend.  There were lifeguard stands every 100 yards or so on the beach with 2 lifeguards per stand, and they'd practice all the time.  One stand would simulate an emergency and have one lifeguard dive into the water while the other lifeguard blew his whistle and waved his flotation device up and down.  A lifeguard from the neighboring stand on either side would come sprinting to the stand with the emergency, and the remaining lifeguard from each of those neighboring stands would do the same whistle and wave thing, causing the next stand down the line to also react.  I think this was their way of getting as many lifeguards to the emergency location while ensuring that there's at least one lifeguard left at each stand should a second emergency happen.

I was looking at the lifeguard stand near me one day when one of the lifeguards suddenly jumped down from the stand and sprinted in the direction of their neighboring stand.  I thought maybe there was an emergency, but there was no whistle blowing or waving.  I looked and saw a lifeguard from the neighboring stand sprinting in our direction, carrying a paper bag.  The lifeguard by me was trying to block the bag carrying lifeguard from reaching his stand.  He was not successful.  The bag carrying lifeguard had a bag full of popcorn that he sprayed all over the lifeguard stand.  That immediately attracted what had to have been at least 100 seagulls who swarmed the stand.  

Being a lifeguard seems like one of those jobs that is an awful lot of boredom mixed in with a little bit of occasional terror.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

The last 3 cruises, we received 2 envelopes.  Had to go to guest services to pick up more, because we usually give in addition to the daily grats.  With the lower passenger counts, they have been very appreciative.  

I don't bother with envelops. Those who I want to give extra to I just hand the cash.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I just caught the tail end of another Mama Mia performance. If it had not been such a nice weather day I would have gone for the entire show. I am starting to feel like that show is to me what CATS is to @John&LaLa.☺

I don't know if it's the same cast that they had in September but the woman who played Donna then was excellent.  Fantastic voice.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

Morale everywhere starts at the top. Too bad more executives haven’t learned that. Happy employees equal happy customers and more production. 
We like to give extra but I like to think it’s a nice surprise. Having envelopes make it less of one. 
Our last cruise was Princess April 2019. 
They probably have the envelopes too, now. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

+2

Marietta...sometimes, a gal has to do what a gal has to do!  All kidding aside, I sure hope Charlie feels better.  Especially not fun not feeling well while being on a cruise.

I've always wanted to try ginger beer...a Caribbean mule sounds good!

+1

Put Caribbean Mule on your drink list for your February cruise.

Sounds like you will need the heat on this weekend in FL --- burrr.    Stay warm😍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arzeena said:

We have sailed with Captain Per a few times and he is wonderful.  Very personable.  We were in the WJ on Mariner having dinner one night and I was trying to read the name of one of the dishes.  It was on the angled glass above and I was on my tippy toes trying to read it when I heard a boisterous laugh behind me.  I turned around to see Captain Per watching me.  I told him the signs were hard to see for the vertically challenged to which he replied he didn't have that problem but would have that taken car of for the rest of us!  He stayed and talked to us for a few minutes before he went to have his own dinner in the WJ. 🙂 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, bobmacliberty said:

I don't know if it's the same cast that they had in September but the woman who played Donna then was excellent.  Fantastic voice.  

Donna was great. I think Sophie was a little weak but still, overall, a fantastic show and cast.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

Morale everywhere starts at the top. Too bad more executives haven’t learned that. Happy employees equal happy customers and more production. 
We like to give extra but I like to think it’s a nice surprise. Having envelopes make it less of one. 
Our last cruise was Princess April 2019. 
They probably have the envelopes too, now. 

I find the envelops a little off putting. It is as if they are asking for more.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

My lifeguard story...When I was in my 20s and single, I'd rent a house on the south Jersey shore every summer with a group of guys.  We'd go there every weekend.  There were lifeguard stands every 100 yards or so on the beach with 2 lifeguards per stand, and they'd practice all the time.  One stand would simulate an emergency and have one lifeguard dive into the water while the other lifeguard blew his whistle and waved his flotation device up and down.  A lifeguard from the neighboring stand on either side would come sprinting to the stand with the emergency, and the remaining lifeguard from each of those neighboring stands would do the same whistle and wave thing, causing the next stand down the line to also react.  I think this was their way of getting as many lifeguards to the emergency location while ensuring that there's at least one lifeguard left at each stand should a second emergency happen.

I was looking at the lifeguard stand near me one day when one of the lifeguards suddenly jumped down from the stand and sprinted in the direction of their neighboring stand.  I thought maybe there was an emergency, but there was no whistle blowing or waving.  I looked and saw a lifeguard from the neighboring stand sprinting in our direction, carrying a paper bag.  The lifeguard by me was trying to block the bag carrying lifeguard from reaching his stand.  He was not successful.  The bag carrying lifeguard had a bag full of popcorn that he sprayed all over the lifeguard stand.  That immediately attracted what had to have been at least 100 seagulls who swarmed the stand.  

Being a lifeguard seems like one of those jobs that is an awful lot of boredom mixed in with a little bit of occasional terror.

That’s what my first ever anesthesiologist told me about his job when I had my botched gall bladder surgery. 90% boredom and 10% pure terror. 

• Like 2

Just now, Arzeena said:

I am catching a few moments of peace on my balcony, till sunset. I am blessed with quiet neighbors, so very peaceful outside and have enjoyed the balcony. 

I am doing the same with a glass of wine. Life is very good right now.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Maitaivegas said:

Ok I need some advice.

I can’t imagine cruising without an alcoholic drink but I really don’t drink at home.

How strong are the mixed drinks on the ship? Say a mojito or a cosmopolitan?

I don’t know of any mocktails that aren’t really sugary.

thanks

Give one a try and drink it slow and see how you like it.    Once you board the ship you will be on island time, no rush for anything.     

You can have the same drink taste different per bartender.    Some good, some not as good.    The Bartenders will be happy to help and make some drink suggestions based on what you like.   

Martini's such as a cosmo will be stronger than a mojito  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I always have Goslings Black Seal rum and Goslings Ginger Beer in the house.  I enjoy an occasional Dark and Stormy.  In fact, since it's after 5:00pm here...

Whoever started the ginger discussion to help with seasickness...thank you.  I never would have thought of having a Dark and Stormy right now.  Tasty.

IMG_8192.thumb.jpg.4d73e5f1193aaa15d32fa208afe61ad8.jpg

Cheers!

IMG_8193.thumb.jpg.ad355fa24797c2e220ccfcf9154c9649.jpg

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

It would be great for the Alaska cruise.  I just thought of something.  While at port you could use your cell phone internet so you would not have to worry about file size when posting video.

Alaska would look amazing on a Insta360X2. Great for panoramas.

3 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

This trip has been rough for me.  Our waiter didn’t want me to order the same desserts due to my tree nut allergy, so he has been checking on everything with the chef, including desserts.  I am eating things I never had before such as molten lava cake and I am full all the time!!!!!No one ever bothered to check on desserts for me before, just said I better not have it…..

So good that your waiter was looking out for you. So many great desserts on board. Did you like the chocolate molten lava cake? I love that cake.

2 hours ago, mo&fran said:

With double points,, I scheduled as many cruises as I could to get caught up.  

Good strategy. We are doing the same. Doing 3 cruises in a year and a half going from gold to diamond.

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Currently 9F, feels like -4F at 3:12pm.  Drops to -11 tonight, feeling like - 26.

It is sunny at least, which means no extra snow here, as of now. 

Maybe time to take the cover off the pool for a polar plunge?

2 hours ago, Arzeena said:

Breakfast also has many Indian and international items. @Sea Dog no Burji.

That's too bad. Loved Burji. I am now hooked on Indian food when I'm on board.

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

During a recent moment of reflectiveness as I was staring out over the ocean I was thinking how blessed I, and all of us here, are to have the means to be able to do what we love. So, to all of my C.C. friends.... Cheers.

20220128_161926.thumb.jpg.c322b336c63045eeb8af498eef71ede7.jpg

Cheers to you OB. We love living through you. We do have a nice family don't we?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

Thanks OB (and everyone else currently cruising) for your comments from your ship this week.  Life is so much better when you're able to live vicariously through someone else on a cruise ship.  Good luck with your trip home.  If you get stuck in Florida, hopefully you'll have a little warmer temps than northern Florida.  Freeze warning for us tonight.

I thoroughly enjoyed seeing pics from OB along with others while on the ships. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Whoever started the ginger discussion to help with seasickness...thank you.  I never would have thought of having a Dark and Stormy right now.  Tasty.

IMG_8192.thumb.jpg.4d73e5f1193aaa15d32fa208afe61ad8.jpg

Cheers!

IMG_8193.thumb.jpg.ad355fa24797c2e220ccfcf9154c9649.jpg

Do you know I've never tried ginger beer? I will have to give this a try. Does it need to be with Goslings? Could Kraken work?

I spy a bottle of Blanton's and Jefferson's Ocean. Am I right?????

Tonight while watching Below Deck we will make some Lava Flows.

• Like 2