Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

5 hours ago, sgmn said:

Wish me luck today. DH and I are taking our nine month grandson to a soft play place today for the first time.  He's become very bonded to his mum so hoping that he'll be happy with just Grandma and Grandad today. 

Good luck Sue.

I'm sure you will be spoiling him and he will want to be with you both.

Graham.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Great stories. So true most people of oblivious to what's going on around them which can be very dangerous.

So very true.  It’s one thing I really stressed to my girls once they started going places with friends, etc.  “always be aware of your surroundings”.  

• Like 9

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

So I have a couple of stories along this line.  

First story - we were in the ship’s pool, and they were early in the process of using life guards at the pools.  I have bee wracking my brain trying to remember which ship this was, but it had a walkway over the pool, and beneath the walkway, there were stools in the water where you could enjoy a drink. As part of the training, they had placed a dummy at the bottom of the pool at the end near where the stools were.  It was amazing how many people got into the pool without noticing this “body” at the bottom.  It even took a while after the lifeguard ***** change for the new lifeguard to notice and jump in to retrieve the “body”.  I guess sometimes people don’t know what is going on around them. 

Second story - we were sailing on Coral Princess several years ago, and their Lotus pool is 6’-7” deep, so over everyone’s head.  This was before the days of lifeguards on ships. My wife was in the pool, hanging on to the side rail, when a gentleman who could not swim went in the pool, not realizing how deep it was. 

He kept bouncing off the bottom, flailing his arms trying to get to the edge.  It probably didn’t help that my wife thought he was trying to grope her, and she kept pushing him back to the center of the pool.  

She pulled herself out of the pool and said “that guy kept touching me”.  Meanwhile, this guy is still gasping for air and trying to make it to the edge of the pool.  Long story short, after realizing this guy was in trouble, I went in and was able to get him safely out of the pool.  Once again, most people didn’t notice what was happening, until I pulled him from the pool. 

Too often someone here drowns in a pool with people all around them. 
With all the splashing and even more, the noise, it all becomes background. 
Thank goodness you did notice!

When one of my granddaughters was 4, they were at a family pool party. 
My son-in-law comes from a prolific family, so lots of kids. 
Hilary had started swimming lessons…a must in Florida. 
Our DD was right there with her sisters-in-law and watching her. And got distracted. 
There was a pool full of yelling, jumping and splashing kids. 
That’s when Hilary came up to her and said “I saved myself, Mommy.”

She was knocked into the pool and managed to get herself to the side and climb out. Two Guardian Angels at work that day, Hilary’s, and Lisa’s; she would never have forgiven herself. 

• Like 10

28 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

So very true.  It’s one thing I really stressed to my girls once they started going places with friends, etc.  “always be aware of your surroundings”.  

Great advice to your girls Deb. It's very unfortunate but young women have to be even more so vigilant.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

Telling me that it is safe would work better than using the word kill.  That would just get me even more anxious with the whole situation.  Both woman were amazing and just did what they had to do.

Both women were amazing, especially the woman who is afraid of heights and did both the bungee jump and the Swiss mountain trail.  Talk about overcoming your fears!  Good point about the word kill.  I guess the key is that everyone is different and is driven by different needs.  You would think that any participant on the show should understand what behavior helps his/her partner and do that rather than what he/she thinks is correct.  Maybe that's easier said than done.  Micheline and I have said that we would need a "safe word" if we were ever on the show.  If the stress causes either of us to behave poorly, the other would say the safe word and that would (hopefully) cause us to pause and reset.

Somewhat related, I always disagreed with the Golden Rule, even though the idea behind it is a key tenet in many religions.  It should not be "do unto others as you would have done unto you".  The idea is good and is essentially focused on treating other people nicely...something the world can use a lot more of.  I believe however that it should be "do unto others as they would like to have done unto them".  Too many people assume that just because I want to be treated a certain way, that other people also want to be treated that same way.  Everyone is different.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

We almost always just end up going to Nachi Cocom and sitting further down the beach toward Mr. Sancho's.  Fewer crowds (although it's never crowded to begin with) and close to the satellite bar.

Nachi Cocom is are go to place too.  Started many years ago.  It is where I had my first Miami Vice.  😊 

• Like 3

@Sea Doghave you considered getting a 360 camera anymore?  I was hoping the CES 2022 would of revealed new ones coming out but I haven’t noticed any new ones on the horizon.  I was hoping some of of the more reasonable priced one would increase the resolution on video.  5.7k sounds good until you realize it’s talking the whole 360 so when you edit it to a normal view (not 360) the resolution is much less.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

I believe however that it should be "do unto others as they would like to have done unto them".  Too many people assume that just because I want to be treated a certain way, that other people also want to be treated that same way.  Everyone is different.

Totally agree with this. The original implies selfishness and yours implies thinking of others before yourself. When I was young I was taught “I’m Third.” God first, others second and I’m third. I try to practice this daily.

39 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

@Sea Doghave you considered getting a 360 camera anymore?  I was hoping the CES 2022 would of revealed new ones coming out but I haven’t noticed any new ones on the horizon.  I was hoping some of of the more reasonable priced one would increase the resolution on video.  5.7k sounds good until you realize it’s talking the whole 360 so when you edit it to a normal view (not 360) the resolution is much less.  

Yes I’m still going to get one. I’d like to get one before my September cruise to work with it. @twangsteris getting really good with it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Don’t look at the current forecast - unless you’re already at the bar 😳😬.  
Also, Jim Cantore has arrived in NE.  Not NE England 🤣.  

Here is my perspective after a good night's sleep. Nothing I do today will change whether I get home Sunday or not. What I won't let this storm do is rob me of my last couple of days of vacation. And no, I have not even had a Painkiller today....yet.😇

• Like 19

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Woke up to flurries and weather people say just a lite coating as this is not part of the noreaster.  Here is what I have so far20220128_094006.thumb.jpg.204412c8267fb4b2b05f37f1707334df.jpg

Is that a dumpster with a built in port-a-potty? I've never seen such a dumpster. And Waste Management is missing out on a whole lot of revenue by not having advertising on our dumpsters here. :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Is that a dumpster with a built in port-a-potty? I've never seen such a dumpster. And Waste Management is missing out on a whole lot of revenue by not having advertising on our dumpsters here. :classic_biggrin:

Yes, it is a dumpster with built in port-a-potty.    First time I have ever seen one too.    Unfortunately, that is my neighbor that had excessive fire damage right before Christmas.    They started tear out while we were on our cruise and we turned onto our street we did a double take on that dumpster too.      It is called Redbox+     (I don't think they have redbox movies in the potty🤣)

We have both been working from home and seen various construction trades go in and out the house on a regular basis we have actually seen several guys use it since utilities are turned off at the house.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Here is my perspective after a good night's sleep. Nothing I do today will change whether I get home Sunday or not. What I won't let this storm do is rob me of my last couple of days of vacation. And no, I have not even had a Painkiller today....yet.😇

The perfect way to look at it IMO.  Especially when you consider this DIDN’T happen last weekend when you were headed to the cruise.  I feel for those from this area trying to get to FL for this weekend’s departures.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Yes I’m still going to get one. I’d like to get one before my September cruise to work with it. @twangsteris getting really good with it.

I am glad you mentioned @twangster.  I forgot that he used one.  It got me to go check out his latest review.  Great pics as usual.  If you didn’t know he used it I don’t think you would notice much difference.  Although some look like a cool drone video which wouldn’t happen on a ship.  Sometimes you can see a shadow of the stick he has it on.  I’m getting that itch to get one again.  It would be great for the Alaska cruise.  I just thought of something.  While at port you could use your cell phone internet so you would not have to worry about file size when posting video.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

I can't find the ginger altoids anymore but I can get Gin Gin candies that have real ginger in them that help a lot.  Lorna Doone cookies also help too.  Just a plain shortbread that sweetens my stomach.

How funny, I brought a box of Lorna Doones with me.  I love them.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Keksie said:

For stomach problems my first go to is ginger.  I have tins of ginger altoids that I use.  Of course check with your Dr. for any medication interactions.

I didn’t know about ginger altoids. I’ll have to look sometime for them. I have bought the candied ginger before from Whole Foods.

3 hours ago, mo&fran said:

Just got our negative tests back for our Allure  cruise departing on Sunday. WE will be B2B2B2B2B. 

Then off for a week and then another B2B,

I booked the 30th cruise several days ago. Since I’m already on the Allure and also have February 5th booked I figured why not just stay on. 😁 Mike isn’t on the next one, but he will be back for the 5th. Maybe we will see you around the ship. All your b2b cruises sound nice. 🥂 🛳

• Like 3