Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

On 9/20/2020 at 7:52 PM, dani negreanu said:

"She asked for it"....😁

Soo glad u quoted me, I was not sure the Hebrew will appear and be readable, and not some gibberish...

Yeah I forgot about the script.    My skill with Google translate just can’t keep up.  I will get one of my Jewish friends to translate for me.  Everybody has been a bit busy!!  

I have to say that the stuffed fish soup was delicious.  For me that is comfort food at it’s best.   I only remembered at the very last fish to take a picture.  The colour is the soup bowl I used.   I was not sure if to share because when I checked the photo I realised that it looked rather menacing due to two pieces of pepper oddly placed.    It is not the best photo of my cooking.  7BA13E87-FBCE-4D89-A898-CC95BC816731.jpeg.1a3a48a12583a6c060643bf1b8c94818.jpeg

I will be making it again !!   Next time I am sure that it will not have such a hamsteresque quality.  

• Haha 1

we spent our day off yesterday power washing my MIL's house and deck.    On our way there we stopped at dunkin donuts and picked up coffee and donuts.    She loves anything chocolate so I got her a mocha latte.      I swear she is the most ungrateful person I have ever met.     when we were done and loading the pressure washer back into my trunk (which isn't easy to do) she complained about how she didn't like the latte (she didn't even know what a latte was - she thought it was chocolate tea).      She didn't say thank you for spending the day in cleaning the mold/mildew off her house - nothing!      I tell my DH every time we do something nice for her we end up leaving there mad.   He said that's how it has been his whole life.    

I have been doing her weekly food shopping since march and every week she rips me off.   If her bill is $65 - she gives me $60.    Finally after about 6 weeks of that happening I said something to her so she handed a $5 bill.    Woohoo!    Every week she complains about something I buy her so yesterday I told her when I go to the store for her today I am buying exactly what is on her list and if I cannot find it - no substitutions!   I tried to set up her with online shopping one week but when she found out she had to pay a $10 delivery fee - 'Oh I cannont afford that" believe she Can afford it.      I have to find a way to get out of doing her shopping it is driving me nuts and there are no other family members that want anything to do with her anymore because she is so rude.      

Sorry I am furious and happy I could vent as my DH gets too upset to talk about it.   

• Like 3

We typically have a Daytona HOG Chapter meeting once a month on a Saturday. Our March meeting was cancelled and all that followed until yesterday. We had our meeting and fall picnic outdoors with lots of social distancing. A few members are convinced CV is a hoax and it was funny seeing them all grouped together for the meeting and lunch. All the other members did a great job maintaining distance. Lots of hand sanitizer and about 50% wearing mask. I felt safe in my surroundings. It was nice to see old friends again. 

M8

29B3BE77-A97B-48E3-A0C8-10174FA1168C.jpeg

9EDD5A83-3A9F-44DF-B0D8-80C897520A4D.jpeg

A8CC9850-3A6F-4866-AA0D-641468BBCE2F.jpeg

F8AD532E-863F-4D03-A9F9-F6FB788A4385.jpeg

950EE900-6554-4263-9328-75C7DD2C2818.jpeg

379F2635-8B45-46FB-B11C-277EBB519375.jpeg

537504AB-3063-4FEC-A994-3F6B7E1FFF4A.jpeg

BB775277-C751-4AC6-A496-EA26BBA2B894.jpeg

597B89DB-9090-497B-9E8F-DBC0CE201D34.jpeg

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

we spent our day off yesterday power washing my MIL's house and deck.    On our way there we stopped at dunkin donuts and picked up coffee and donuts.    She loves anything chocolate so I got her a mocha latte.      I swear she is the most ungrateful person I have ever met.     when we were done and loading the pressure washer back into my trunk (which isn't easy to do) she complained about how she didn't like the latte (she didn't even know what a latte was - she thought it was chocolate tea).      She didn't say thank you for spending the day in cleaning the mold/mildew off her house - nothing!      I tell my DH every time we do something nice for her we end up leaving there mad.   He said that's how it has been his whole life.    

I have been doing her weekly food shopping since march and every week she rips me off.   If her bill is $65 - she gives me $60.    Finally after about 6 weeks of that happening I said something to her so she handed a $5 bill.    Woohoo!    Every week she complains about something I buy her so yesterday I told her when I go to the store for her today I am buying exactly what is on her list and if I cannot find it - no substitutions!   I tried to set up her with online shopping one week but when she found out she had to pay a $10 delivery fee - 'Oh I cannont afford that" believe she Can afford it.      I have to find a way to get out of doing her shopping it is driving me nuts and there are no other family members that want anything to do with her anymore because she is so rude.      

Sorry I am furious and happy I could vent as my DH gets too upset to talk about it.   

My aunt used to pick up groceries for my mom every now and then and charged her to the penny.  I remember my mom counting out pennies for the thirty three cents or whatever!  I guess that was better than if she didn’t pay my aunt the full amount🤪

4 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

My aunt used to pick up groceries for my mom every now and then and charged her to the penny.  I remember my mom counting out pennies for the thirty three cents or whatever!  I guess that was better than if she didn’t pay my aunt the full amount🤪

It was the way they were brought up, to pinch every penny they could.  I do shopping for a couple of elderly relatives and I don't sweat the small stuff.  A few bucks here and there isn't going to kill me.  We do all sorts of things that they can't do on their own and then all we hear is how great my brother is because he called today lol  Sometimes you have to put on your big girl pants and just deal with it and hope someone will do the same for you when you can't do it yourself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

We typically have a Daytona HOG Chapter meeting once a month on a Saturday. Our March meeting was cancelled and all that followed until yesterday. We had our meeting and fall picnic outdoors with lots of social distancing. A few members are convinced CV is a hoax and it was funny seeing them all grouped together for the meeting and lunch. All the other members did a great job maintaining distance. Lots of hand sanitizer and about 50% wearing mask. I felt safe in my surroundings. It was nice to see old friends again. 

M8

Right on. Looked like a beautiful day for a ride and a nice event. But I hope those in shorts and sneakers weren't riders. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Thanks 1

@Sunshine3601 some individuals just don’t know how be be great full or thankful. The two of you are close to saints to do this with the response you get, even though you might want to stab her eyes out with a butter knife once in a while.😉

I do have some advice that won’t help right now but for later; when things get back to normal don’t take her on a cruise with you. 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Right on. Looked like a beautiful day for a ride and a nice event. But I hope those in shorts and sneakers weren't riders. 

I’m the Membership Person so I had obligations prior to the meeting as I had a car full of junk so I was in shorts. I believe all those in shorts were also part of setting up for the picnic. It was a lot of work. I was happy to see most people respect others space. I was responsible for me and I tried not to put myself in an unsafe place. I did no handshakes, just first bumps. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

It was the way they were brought up, to pinch every penny they could.  I do shopping for a couple of elderly relatives and I don't sweat the small stuff.  A few bucks here and there isn't going to kill me.  We do all sorts of things that they can't do on their own and then all we hear is how great my brother is because he called today lol  Sometimes you have to put on your big girl pants and just deal with it and hope someone will do the same for you when you can't do it yourself.

I completely understand and feel the same way but it is Not easy to do when every single week she complains and Not once has said Thank You!!

It's not about money it's the fact she Never is nice and Never says Thank you.  The DH tells her all the time that she should appreciate everything I do for her and she grunts at him.  

By the way she is a millionaire and has been for many years!  She still drives and gets around just fine.

Her other son hasn't visited her in probably 2 or 3 years.  Her Sister didnt speak with her for about 20 yrs.  Her sister in law told her about 5 yrs ago to stop calling her.  The neighbors all ignore her.

Its bad!!

41 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

@Sunshine3601 some individuals just don’t know how be be great full or thankful. The two of you are close to saints to do this with the response you get, even though you might want to stab her eyes out with a butter knife once in a while.😉

I do have some advice that won’t help right now but for later; when things get back to normal don’t take her on a cruise with you. 🤪

You are so right!

No worries she thinks cruise ships are filth buckets and would never get on one.

I cannot wait to cruise again so I dont have to do her weekly shopping...hehe!

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Talking about doing things and money for our moms. 

My 87 yo Mom doesn’t have any online accounts so I do a lot of online ordering for her so she doesn’t need to go out and get. All is delivered to her. Think that are not Perishable. Most of it comes from Amazon. I even ordered a chair for her computer desk. Things like her probiotics she takes and anything I can save her from going out. I wasn’t charging her for it, she is my Mom and it doesn’t damage my bank account. I have two brothers. One pitched a fit and insisted I charge her. His reasoning, when she passes he doesn’t want anyone to say we are due this or that. I thought it was about the dumbest thing I heard. Why can’t I help my mom. Oh well....  

M8

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I completely understand and feel the same way but it is Not easy to do when every single week she complains and Not once has said Thank You!!

It's not about money it's the fact she Never is nice and Never says Thank you.  The DH tells her all the time that she should appreciate everything I do for her and she grunts at him.  

By the way she is a millionaire and has been for many years!  She still drives and gets around just fine.

Her other son hasn't visited her in probably 2 or 3 years.  Her Sister didnt speak with her for about 20 yrs.  Her sister in law told her about 5 yrs ago to stop calling her.  The neighbors all ignore her.

Its bad!!

My MIL was like that until the day she died.  She disowned one son and her only sister.  My DH and I were the only ones that were left and she never appreciated a thing.  It is very frustrating to deal with but you will never change her.  I just limited the direct contact I had and did her shopping and stuff but made my DH deal with her directly.  I learned to not let her get to me and not let her affect my marriage.  Some people are just angry and mean.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Its bad!!

It sounds difficult.    You clearly are the sort of daughter in law anyone would wish for.  

I am not sure how you cope with it, but  you are doing it for your DH aren’t you?   It sounds like he appreciates what you do  too.  He feels an understandable responsiblity to his mother.  If he didn’t visit and do chores  he would feel a lot worse than the negative that he gets when he comes away.   So bless him for being so loyal in the circumstances. 

• Like 2

My husband has an elderly uncle that is aging not to gracefullly.

So, we have Uncle Jack to dinner twice a week and I make care packages for him to hold him thru the other 5 days.

I can only hope one day someone would help me or my DH out if we get old and greyer to cook or whatever.

He is very grateful for everything we do, and his Thank you's are all we need.

And no, I would NEVER EVER EVER EVER take him on a cruise.

He is so set in his ways, and fixated on day to day activities that it would be a painful vacation.

Life's to short to worry about life's little things.

So  I keep it simple.

Be safe.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

My 87 yo Mom doesn’t have any online accounts so I do a lot of online ordering for her so she doesn’t need to go out and get. All is delivered to her. Think that are not Perishable. Most of it comes from Amazon. I even ordered a chair for her computer desk. Things like her probiotics she takes and anything I can save her from going out. I wasn’t charging her for it, she is my Mom and it doesn’t damage my bank account. I have two brothers. One pitched a fit and insisted I charge her. His reasoning, when she passes he doesn’t want anyone to say we are due this or that. I thought it was about the dumbest thing I heard. Why can’t I help my mom. Oh well....  

M8

Like my youngest.  She was living in England (where my parents in their 90s live) when lockdown started.  At that time there was a huge issue with people getting  enough food.   She had milk deliveries.  She arranged for them to have milk deliveries from the same company so that at least for milk and bread they were sorted.  They keep telling me that they owe her money.  At least £100 for the last 6 months.  What is she going to say!!  

Ignore your brother.  

+. I love that your mother has a computer desk.  My Dad has an Ipad.  Makes a big hullaballoo when the tiniest thing happens, but technology keeps us in touch. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think a lot of things that might not affect us as much normally, certainly do at this terribly stressful time.  The saying “No good deed goes unpunished” is certainly true.  Also “An act of generosity rarely ends a man’s responsibilities towards another; it tends to begin them.”

I, too, have an ungrateful family member.  I finally had to make the difficult decision to cut off contact.  However, this isn’t an elderly person.  For everyone who is looking after others, especially those who are ungrateful, I truly sympathize.  Sometimes offering sympathy is all one can do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, ollienbertsmum said:

I love that your mother has a computer desk.  My Dad has an Ipad.  Makes a big hullaballoo when the tiniest thing happens, but technology keeps us in touch

Thanks. I was always the Computer Nerd in the family. My BS was in Computer Engineering Technology which later became Computer Science. I tried to keep my parents with computers  and technology. My parents were so far ahead of other people their age. Mom has a desktop computer and printer. She still manages her bills (writes checks) and mails them. She also has an iPad and iPhone. She has lost most her local friends. Has family in KY and locally, her kids (me and brothers), grandkids, a great grandkids. I really don’t know what she would do without her Facebook. Lol. Sometimes it’s an issue late at night as she takes some before bed medications that make her loopy. We created a close site just for her and family with access. That has worked out well. 

55 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

M8

And I'm sure your Mother appreciates.  My MIL has been a very rude and nasty person her whole life.  There is absolutely noone that wants anything to do with her anymore.  Everyone has disowned her.  She has been a millionaire for 40+ years and wants everything for nothing and NEVER says thank you!

I try my best not to let her get to me but she does.  Everything that comes out of her mouth is so rude and ignorant.  My hubby, her Son cannot stand her either but promised his Father when he was on deathbed that he would take care of her.

I could go on a zillion stories on how she treated her own children when they were growing up.  Shes nasty!

• Like 2