Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

22 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Another beautiful beach day at LBI.  Started the morning with an hr long bike road then coffee on the bench at top of the dunes.

20210616_082510.jpg

20210616_082529.jpg

Beautiful.  We rented for 2 weeks in LBI each summer for close to 20 years with family.  Started when my daughter was 5 and  my son and nephew were just a year old, with 4 more cousins came along over the years so we had a full house.  Most years we were on 17th street in Beach Haven 2 houses from the beach. 

Spent many a nights at Hudson House once the kids went to sleep leaving them with grandparents, my daughter was excited to go on her 21st birthday with the "grown ups". 

Miss it all, great memories.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Indeed, the "Sea" of Galilee actually is a freshwater lake, and not a big one at that (Length - 13 mil, width - 8.1 mil).

It is now at its highest level in the last 2 decades. It is assumed that when Jesus walked on water [aka, Sea of Galilee], it was in one of its lowest levels.

I didn't intend to post those pics of the "Sea", but since you raised the subject of biblical references, I assume there will be others also interested.

You can still see some trees "in the middle of the water", a "memory" of where the lake started some years ago, when it was at its lowest level ever...

20210614_153641.jpg

20210614_153643.jpg

Lovely to get to see an area I’ve known all my life but have never seen. Thank you.  
BTW, my DS’s BIL met his husband working at a kibbutz. He happens to be Catholic so I’m assuming kibbutzes are international and interdenominational?

Edited by jagsfan

16 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

Lovely to get to see an area I’ve known all my life but have never seen. Thank you.  
BTW, my DS’s BIL met his husband working at a kibbutz. He happens to be Catholic so I’m assuming kibbutzes are international and interdenominational?

Kibbutzes are very popular places for volunteers from all over the world. As it happens, one Jewish girl, member of the kibbutz, meets a nice Catholic/Protestant/Methodist/etc. guy [or vice versa], and they marry and live happily ever after either in the kibbutz, or in the non-Jewish party's country.

Some convert to Judaism, some not.

In most cases, the Jewish party doesn't convert to the "other" religion or doesn't need to, because the option of civil marriage exist in all the countries, beside Israel....

Sadly, in Israel the only option is a religious marriage, which doesn't allow interfaith.

Not only that, your "Jewishness" has to meet very strict requirements.

For starters -- to be Jewish, you'll need a Jewish mother.

When I went to register to get married, I was required to bring my mother [in order to "verify" my Jewishness, according to the rabbbi]. The reason - I immigrated from Romania, where there were many mixed marriages.... so, may be my father married outside his religion???

So my mother came and immediately started speaking Yiddish with the rabbi.

I was "verified".....

BTW, my DS2 and DIL opted out of a religious marriage -- they made their vows in front of family and friends and threw a nice party. We absolutely agree.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Kibbutzes are very popular places for volunteers from all over the world. As it happens, one Jewish girl, member of the kibbutz, meets a nice Catholic/Protestant/Methodist/etc. guy [or vice versa], and they marry and live happily ever after either in the kibbutz, or in the non-Jewish party's country.

Some convert to Judaism, some not.

In most cases, the Jewish party doesn't convert to the "other" religion or doesn't need to, because the option of civil marriage exist in all the countries, beside Israel....

Sadly, in Israel the only option is a religious marriage, which doesn't allow interfaith.

Not only that, your "Jewishness" has to meet very strict requirements.

For starters -- to be Jewish, you'll need a Jewish mother.

When I went to register to get married, I was required to bring my mother [in order to "verify" my Jewishness, according to the rabbbi]. The reason - I immigrated from Romania, where there were many mixed marriages.... so, may be my father married outside his religion???

So my mother came and immediately started speaking Yiddish with the rabbi.

I was "verified".....

BTW, my DS2 and DIL opted out of a religious marriage -- they made their vows in front of family and friends and threw a nice party. We absolutely agree.

Does Israel recognize either civil or "mixed" religious marriages performed in other countries?

Went up to London today, only the second time since 2019 and first time on public transport.  Met up with one of my oldest friends.  Noticeably quieter this morning but pretty busy around Oxford Street, Bond Street, Regent Street by the afternoon. Everyone on the train has masks on, though a couple are around their chins🤣  Lots of the tartan army around, big match in the euros tomorrow between England and Scotland.

Had our make up done in one of the major Stores, practising for the wedding day,  and then a long boozy lunch 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

So sorry to hear about your daughter and her puppy.

Thank you.The owner of the dogs who attacked the puppy went to my daughters house last night.She apologized and offered to pay the Vet bills.

My son in law told her that they have Pet Insurance and they were filing a claim.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Does Israel recognize either civil or "mixed" religious marriages performed in other countries?

The "State of Israel" recognize marriages performed in other countries. It doesn't check the religion.

The problems arise when the kids born from those marriages want to marry religiously in Israel. If both parties don't meet the "requirements" of being Jewish [in the eyes of the religious "authorities"], they are denied.

We have a huge problem with immigrants from Russia, where mixed marriages were very common -- those people serve in the army, pay taxes, are full citizens, yet are denied the basic right of marrying.... since, as I've mentioned, the option of civil marriage doesn't exist.

They travel to a neighboring country, like Cyprus, marry there, and get back and register as a married couple. It costs money, you cannot marry in front of family and friends.... very very frustrating.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

A very healthy meal 👍

Do you cook the couscous or you buy it ready made? 

I'm buying it like this, add 3 spoons of olive oil, some salt and then 400 ml boiled water, cover it and leave it for 5 minutes. Rack it with a fork. Delicious.

couscous.jpg

Very similar. It comes dry, like pasta and cooks like pasta as well, about 8-10 minutes in low boiling water or broth. 

CFE850DF-20DD-46E2-A230-B4DCCF5C1F6A.jpeg

Edited by Momof3gurlz
  • Like 1

Spent two hours sorting new flights out to barcelona from the UK as Easyjet decided to change my flight. So refund from them and changed to a new carrier and saved £500 winner.

Just spent the last hour going through the boards and shaking my head at some of the posts.

Rest of the evening, footy onTV

• Like 4

1 hour ago, akcruz said:

Beautiful.  We rented for 2 weeks in LBI each summer for close to 20 years with family.  Started when my daughter was 5 and  my son and nephew were just a year old, with 4 more cousins came along over the years so we had a full house.  Most years we were on 17th street in Beach Haven 2 houses from the beach. 

Spent many a nights at Hudson House once the kids went to sleep leaving them with grandparents, my daughter was excited to go on her 21st birthday with the "grown ups". 

Miss it all, great memories.

My wife's family has been renting homes on the Jersey shore since the beginning of time. In the 1960's & 70's, it was Seaside Heights. Sometime in the 1980's, they transitioned down to LBI, first on the mainland along the bay. Beach Haven West - a cousin had a shack, er, 2 1/2 season house that was rent-free. 🙂. That's when I met her. Lot's of fun (not) making the 1 hour, 3 mile drive across the bay to the ocean beaches at Ship Bottom, only to spend another 30 minutes looking for parking. Good times. Eventually, they started renting on LBI proper, rotating thru several different houses until they settled in one of the many towns with Beach Haven in the name. Within walking distance of Fantasy Island (no, it's not a strip club but a childrens amusement park) and Bay Village. Usually in the 9th or 11th street area as it would always be a different house each year, depending on price/availability.

Didn't discover the Hudson House until a few years ago. It's well-hidden but within stumbling distance. 😉

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

The "State of Israel" recognize marriages performed in other countries. It doesn't check the religion.

The problems arise when the kids born from those marriages want to marry religiously in Israel. If both parties don't meet the "requirements" of being Jewish [in the eyes of the religious "authorities"], they are denied.

We have a huge problem with immigrants from Russia, where mixed marriages were very common -- those people serve in the army, pay taxes, are full citizens, yet are denied the basic right of marrying.... since, as I've mentioned, the option of civil marriage doesn't exist.

They travel to a neighboring country, like Cyprus, marry there, and get back and register as a married couple. It costs money, you cannot marry in front of family and friends.... very very frustrating.

I can understand the reasoning, though. 
I imagine it is to protect the religion, with good reason. 

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

My wife's family has been renting homes on the Jersey shore since the beginning of time. In the 1960's & 70's, it was Seaside Heights. Sometime in the 1980's, they transitioned down to LBI, first on the mainland along the bay. Beach Haven West - a cousin had a shack, er, 2 1/2 season house that was rent-free. 🙂. That's when I met her. Lot's of fun (not) making the 1 hour, 3 mile drive across the bay to the ocean beaches at Ship Bottom, only to spend another 30 minutes looking for parking. Good times. Eventually, they started renting on LBI proper, rotating thru several different houses until they settled in one of the many towns with Beach Haven in the name. Within walking distance of Fantasy Island (no, it's not a strip club but a childrens amusement park) and Bay Village. Usually in the 9th or 11th street area as it would always be a different house each year, depending on price/availability.

Didn't discover the Hudson House until a few years ago. It's well-hidden but within stumbling distance. 😉

We too went through many houses but kept coming back to the one on 17th as it was walking distance to just about everywhere we went, had a few interesting walks back home from HH depending on who went that night.  Even with that it is great place for a family vacation, miss it even though I now live just over a mile from the beach here in SC, just not the same.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Seems like all the cats like doing the same thing. Here are our two loungers. Kylar (black) and Drave (black and white), yes weird names given by my son as it's his cats.

cats.jpg

Sooo cute!  They obviously love their cat tree!  Good location at the window!  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

Good location at the window!  

Yes they are pretty funny whipping their heads around to follow flying birds. It's hilarious if there is a bug on the outside of the window. They will bat at the window trying to get at it. It's hilarious to watch.

• Like 2

We are back from our trip to the grocery store and the Lobster pound.  These guys are taking up way too much room in my fridge right now, but I didn't want them eating my veggies!  😮 

Bucky collecting fresh sea water from in front of the house to steam them in, which was recommended by the lobster people as much better than with sea salt added to steam them in.   

Corn and red pots prepped and ready to steam as well, but first...it's time for happy hour!  😉 

20210617_140647.jpg

20210617_155538.jpg

20210617_155601.jpg

20210617_155613.jpg

• Like 12