Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Waiting here for the lightbulb to pop on and you all remember each other!

My friend was in Israel one summer.  She came back to NY and started teaching.  Her co-worker kept telling her that she looked familiar.  Both were in Israel at the same time but could not remember exactly where, if in fact they met.  The next day my friend's co-worker brought in her vacation photos showing my friend and her husband in the background of 2 photos taken in Jerusalem. My friend had none of her co-worker.  So, even though they were only a few feet apart, they never actually met until they came back home!

Many years ago one of my friends went on vacation to Scotland.He wanted to see places not listed in tour guides and approached a woman in a store .She replied that she is a tourist.He asked where she is from and she said NYC ,so was he.It turned out that they both lived in the same Manhattan apartment building but never knew each other.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

I’m now racking my brain trying to remember people we’ve struck up conversations with or been on excursions with.  Several couples/table mates from Canada,  two couples from Albany NY area who were on our Jost Van Dyke catamaran excursion with the Gem in 2017, a couple from Tampa on the Dawn who owned a well known restaurant,  also lots of shared taxi van rides in St Thomas,  to Orient Beach in SXM and one to Little French Key in Roatan. Of course I don’t recall every random conversation at bars. We did visit the atrium bar every night before dinner on the Gem.  

Did you go to see Leo the guitar player singer on the Gem ? I went nearly every night whenever I was on a Gem cruise and he always would say Lenny from NY just sat down.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

We were in the Coastal Towers.  I guess with reservations made online and self check-in kiosks, it’s harder for hotels to screen guests.  But they should do something when they get a complaint at 2 am. 

I agree, Coastal is usually quiet.  I think they have been getting out of control booking all these kid groups.  I know they need money but they should put them in one tower all by themselves!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, singinalot said:

we went back to the house and spent the afternoon at the pool 🙂 before a quick walk and dip at the beach. LOL hubby was baking in the sun but didn’t want to get out of the pool…the tops of his feet got pretty burnt

1214E112-B136-4B0E-983D-C379F9303AC0.thumb.jpeg.24e7758bd5a63fc50af763ca474228cd.jpeg

Looks like all of his friends were joining him in the pool. 😁

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Many years ago one of my friends went on vacation to Scotland.He wanted to see places not listed in tour guides and approached a woman in a store .She replied that she is a tourist.He asked where she is from and she said NYC ,so was he.It turned out that they both lived in the same Manhattan apartment building but never knew each other.

Amazing.

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

During the summer all I wear is flip flops except for walking, Asics. It looks like that is about all to change. About 6 weeks ago I injured my right foot working in the yard.  I think I fractured my toe.  To stubborn to go see a doc.  I thought, the doc will just tell me to stay off it.  6 weeks later I am getting around a lot better.  With my Asics on I am close to walking normal.  From now on the flip flops will mainly be for the beach and cruises 🚢.

A couple years ago my husband shattered, crushed his big toe and he's never been able to wear flip flops since that happened.  His toe isnt able to get the grip you need for flip flops so now he's a sandle guy when out or bare foot around the house.

• Like 2

When at St Thomas we have been to Megan’s Bay a few times and enjoyed it.  Last time we were there we went to another beach recommended by a local shop owner but I don’t remember the name.  We will be there in October, any recommendations on what to do?  We are also stopping at St John’s for the first time.  Any recommendations for here too?

7 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

A couple years ago my husband shattered, crushed his big toe and he's never been able to wear flip flops since that happened.  His toe isnt able to get the grip you need for flip flops so now he's a sandle guy when out or bare foot around the house.

I haven’t even tried the flip flops yet.  The toe next to the big toe is still hurting.  I am sure I would not be able to grip with it.  I might need to consider sandles.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Amazing.

I was posting on a CC board a few months and saw that a regular poster mentioned that he had lived for many years in Brooklyn .I asked where and it was a block away from where I lived.When he read my response he gave me his e-mail address and we found out that we have mutual friends.

• Like 3

We have been getting plenty of rain lately and the rain is causing my basil to grow like crazy.  So I have been making a large amount of pesto lately. So thankful I have a vacuum sealer. I started growing basil last year and it was really the first time I got into the pesto.  I love it on a lot of things now.  Makes a great pizza.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Did you go to see Leo the guitar player singer on the Gem ? I went nearly every night whenever I was on a Gem cruise and he always would say Lenny from NY just sat down.

A few times but not regularly.  There was a great comedian on one of our Gem cruises, I think his name was Tim Kaminsky?  And on the 2017 cruise there was a fantastic musical group that featured a married Filipino couple as the lead singers (husband may have been Hawaiian?) Can’t recall their names but we would go listen wherever they were playing.  On the final night of that cruise they did a crew member talent show in the Atrium.  The ship captain did a fabulous job singing & playing guitar.  

Edited by Momof3gurlz

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I haven’t even tried the flip flops yet.  The toe next to the big toe is still hurting.  I am sure I would not be able to grip with it.  I might need to consider sandles.

Toes take quite a while to heal since we use them more than we realize.  I would wait a while before trying flip flops or sandals.   Good luck🤩

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I was posting on a CC board a few months and saw that a regular poster mentioned that he had lived for many years in Brooklyn .I asked where and it was a block away from where I lived.When he read my response he gave me his e-mail address and we found out that we have mutual friends.

6 degrees of separation,

31 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

A few times but not regularly.  There was a great comedian on one of our Gem cruises, I think his name was Tim Kaminsky?  And on the 2017 cruise there was a fantastic musical group that featured a married Filipino couple as the lead singers (husband may have been Hawaiian?) Can’t recall their names but we would go listen wherever they were playing.  On the final night of that cruise they did a crew member talent show in the Atrium.  The ship captain did a fabulous job singing & playing guitar.  

I always loved cruise talent shows.  Very spontaneous and so much fun.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

When at St Thomas we have been to Megan’s Bay a few times and enjoyed it.  Last time we were there we went to another beach recommended by a local shop owner but I don’t remember the name.  We will be there in October, any recommendations on what to do?  We are also stopping at St John’s for the first time.  Any recommendations for here too?

I think your cruise will be docking at St John's Antigua. Antigua has 365 beaches. Last time we were there we took the helicopter excursion over Montserrat. It was expensive, but awesome. 

There is also another island near St. Thomas called St. John. It is a beautiful island, and worth visiting. It is generally easier to take a ship excursion over and visit Trunk Bay (as Sea Dog mentioned). If you do it on your own, it involves 4 buses and 2 ferry rides. Which was fine. But if we do it again, we will just take the ship excursion. :classic_biggrin: 

Edited by Coralc

Yesterday, we made a trip to the Linesville Spillway to feed the fish with our grandson.  Someone asked a few pages back if feeding the fish was still a thing.  As you can see from this short video I made, it is. 

They say over 300,000 people go here each year to feed the carp, and someone calculated that each person tosses 2.4 pounds of bread to them.  We did our part to keep up the average.  Grandson loved it. 

74C59EF2-A603-46A3-B5D8-AFF838B0A8DF.thumb.jpeg.d13e97ff0219a8570181fbb628b00581.jpeg

Even the Amish families come to feed the fish

5C4F6199-297D-44EA-8904-C13AB319FEC2.thumb.jpeg.70874df5bf434fd475e00a67b7d48f0d.jpeg

We spent a little time on a hiking trail near there

163D1FA7-802A-4405-95A4-EC38F0C2F397.thumb.jpeg.832884107dddfa2ef4bce75a0b6d3f4a.jpeg

It even had a nice lake view

12AE11C9-9608-49A4-BFB1-63B7AE5A1CB1.thumb.jpeg.785029e2542d6c588c8b7eadeacea430.jpeg

Next, we made a stop at Conneaut Lake Park.  It is one of the oldest amusement parks, and was well known for the Blue Streak wooden roller coaster.  I remember coming to this park as a kid, and it is sad the shape it is in now.  We did manage to do a couple kiddy rides. 

0C9D8485-C6E1-4F70-A0FE-479347875BEC.thumb.jpeg.d97fe9791fbfa7a76a3616f5d1bf1caa.jpeg

11609E6E-F3EE-4893-95D0-4CE4F34CE2AC.thumb.jpeg.b4ef87e7e968a2c3f2f13a0ee342511e.jpeg

Finished our day with a stop at Eddie’s Footlong Hotdogs. 

53F885CC-6E85-497C-8FB1-C992320B1951.thumb.jpeg.5d87fe85e6b50ba5fbcf22f4e3dbaf21.jpeg

A dog with the works

6464F830-2BEA-476E-902D-33F386739EC4.thumb.jpeg.ac5cae937fe61e373d8dfbabc441ba60.jpeg

Their prices aren’t too bad. 

0CFF4C4D-7BEA-44E8-97BA-F1036C1807C2.thumb.jpeg.2de18dc5dc151c6d960c2f9c840d97a3.jpeg

• Like 10

59 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Yesterday, we made a trip to the Linesville Spillway to feed the fish with our grandson. 

The fish were like this at the Palace of Versailles.  When they saw a human at the shore line they all bunched up. 

14 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

I agree, Coastal is usually quiet.  I think they have been getting out of control booking all these kid groups.  I know they need money but they should put them in one tower all by themselves!

Rapunzels Tower. 😁🤣? LOL

Haven't been in a long time, but I heard that ever since they built the new "conference center" they have been gearing to dance competitions, gymnastic troupes, youth team spots etc etc.

15 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Coincidences do happen too often.

We were on our honeymoon on a snorkeling trip off the coast of Waikiki.

A group of 12 of us.

We all started talking, where we were from and such.

One couple newly married as us said they were from South Dakota.

When our turn came we said we were from Youngstown Ohio

The girl then responds my best friend growing up now lives in Youngstown, do you Dr. *****

I got well she knows me more than I know her she is my gynecologist.

Like I was told years ago by my father, you never know who is around you where-ever you go, so never fart in public.  This way  no one will ever have stories to tell.

Small world

Good advice from my dad.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

St Johns Antigua I presume? 365 beaches one for every day of the year, they say. To ones we have been to, they are all nice. After all the beach hopping, lately we just like to do a day pass at Sandals. Others have recommended Jolly Beach resort, Blue waters, Pineapple Beach, we have done a lobster catamaran excursion (via the ship) which we liked, Dickenson beach (which is where Sandals is located), these are some I remember. I keep lookinga t the ferry to Barbadua but I do not believe there is enough time to go and get back.

We have also gone to the (little bit) further out (from the port) beaches: Long Bay, and a couple others. I used to like Long Bay, I haven't been there in a bit.

As you enter Heritage Quay, their port, there is  asmall tourist guide kiosk....they have good info and brochures/maps/coupons. That is always my first stop unless we are at the pier further to its right.

St Thomas: Coki, is nice, Secret Harbor (have your taxi guy pick you up as well), Lindquist is beautiful, Sapphire, ferry to St John USVI and then the beaches there (recommend you do that via ship's excursion if it is your first time there. Then you can judge for yourself how much time you need at what beach and easy to go on your own in the future). We like Trunk bay. Cinammon is also good, very nice, but there is something about Trunk Bay that I love.  You can also just relax at one of the water front cafes on Cruz Bay. Lots of other things to do also.

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 2