Yes Buffets really are gross

tocruiseguy

On 5/14/2020 at 12:26 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

I think all the buffet threads have by and large been used to pile on about the poor hygiene habits of some passengers.  I've yet to read anything that suggested that the spread of C-19 was greater in the buffet venue on a cruise ship than any other venue.

I could become exposed to the virus in the ladies room where I wash my hands before even entering the buffet.

Removing the buffet does not remove the virus...it just changes the location of possible exposure to somewhere else. 

Totally agree.  The buffet is my preferred dining location but I would never argue that it couldn't be a 'carrier' location.  BUT, I'll add to the above to say consider the bars where people lean all over them, socializing with others inches away .. also consider the many that stand 3 deep behind each other breathing down each others necks!  The martini bar comes to mind ... eek!  Our normal behavior and human interactions are constant exposure places that extend far beyond the buffet.

That said, changing the buffet to self serve wouldn't be the worst thing to happen but it certainly would slow things down for meal time.  Removing the buffet concept entirely would make me sad unless a replacement is similarly efficient, the MDR is just so brutally slow and taking 2 hours to eat is just not enjoyable to me (only go there now and then) and if all the people like me end up in the MDR ...that 2 hours will likely become 3!

Perhaps an option could be an electronic menu ordering venue and items just got delivered to the table without a lot of hoopla, I think someone else might have mentioned this.  NCL has a venue like that ... Food Republic .. it's a la cart price though but perhaps they could introduce a variation of this as a free option.  Maybe even if they lowered the cost of the pay restaurants, how about that!

Just cutting off the buffet without something similar in nature will not be good.  Celebrity, though I love you the best, free dining other than the buffet (with service) would be awesome.  Again ... NCL comes to mind with O'Sheehan's.

Edited by poffles
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, poffles said:

Just cutting off the buffet without something similar in nature will not be good.  Celebrity, though I love you the best, free dining other than the buffet (with service) would be awesome.  Again ... NCL comes to mind with O'Sheehan's.

Couldn't edit my comment to elaborate my statement above to say 'free CASUAL dining other than buffet'.  I love Celebrity but I have said different times over the years that I really wish they had a pub style location, they've had locations that they perhaps believe lives up to that but uhhhh ...no.  The Gastrobar is more often empty and personally feels pretentious and cold in design and the 'pay' food there seems silly and not enticing enough to pay for it.

I liked the buffet on the Summit.  Different stations rather than one long counter.  It was less crowded at dinner and the food was good.   During breakfast, they had staff offering breakfast breads like croissants.  They also had sinks with soap to wash your hands.  This was in January 2020.  I didn’t observe any nasty behaviour at the buffet.  It’s a nice alternative to the dining room when you just want a casual meal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bunnyette said:

I liked the buffet on the Summit.  Different stations rather than one long counter.  It was less crowded at dinner and the food was good.   During breakfast, they had staff offering breakfast breads like croissants.  They also had sinks with soap to wash your hands.  This was in January 2020.  I didn’t observe any nasty behaviour at the buffet.  It’s a nice alternative to the dining room when you just want a casual meal.

I agree, we have done the buffet for dinner at least once on our last few cruises. As you stated not as crowded as Lunch or Breakfast, actually quite relaxing. I enjoy the made to order grill and the pasta station.

• Like 2

It all depends on the public of such cruises. Its not the buffet that is bad but rather the competence of the cooking crew and the people who are being served. Some people are simply disgusting and the crew behind the counter does not feel comfortable serving them well. I never had a problem with a buffet. Maybe I was lucky 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Banjo said:

I like the buffet.

My only complaint it gets really crowded for lunch and breakfast. So it is very popular & doubt its going anywhere.

I rarely eat breakfast at the buffet. Enjoy the Elite breakfast in the Tuscan. It's many times a buffet if they have a certain number of Elites.

Also they have none paying alternatives with the Mast Grill and MDR.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the small continental breakfast buffet for elites and above in the Tuscan Grill be eliminated or become a cafeteria style where a server plates your selection(s).  

7 hours ago, deliver42 said:

Royal announced that the Buffets, as we know them, will be no longer, at least at the beginning. Probably more like a restaurant.

The Windjammer springs to mind on Explorer of the Seas. It was crowded.

I prefer the buffet layout on the S class ships, where there are stations.

D98484E4-1138-4B3D-8587-D5BD8C57BD14.jpeg

It all depends on the public of such cruises. Its not the buffet that is bad but rather the competence of the cooking crew and the people who are being served. Some people are simply disgusting and the crew behind the counter does not feel comfortable serving them well. I never had a problem with a buffet. Maybe I was lucky 

Neither have we ever had a problem with Celebrity buffets or Cunard. Maybe we were lucky on the seven cruises

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, yorky said:

Big plus to changes to the buffet would be the huge cutting back on the obscene food wastage. You see the plates left on tables with mountains of food just thrown away.

Never understood why people take more than they can eat. If still hungry you can always go back for seconds.  Nothing is ever wasted at home; guess just the way I grew up.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Never understood why people take more than they can eat. If still hungry you can always go back for seconds.  Nothing is ever wasted at home; guess just the way I grew up.  

I think that's an inherent problem with buffets, there are so many tempting dishes and some people can't resist trying a little bit of too many of them but never finish everything on their plate. The other scenario are those who take a reasonable amount but find that they really don't like it, so they leave it and return to the buffet to find something else. Of course, I've often seen that in the MDR too, where a diner asks the wait staff to take away a dish not to their liking and bring something else instead.

5 hours ago, drakes2 said:

Why? Because you can't and won't do it at home. 

48 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

Why? Because you can't and won't do it at home. 

Because I behave the same way when I'm out as I do in my own home.  Too many children going hungry every day.  

• Thanks 1

On 5/15/2020 at 8:21 AM, NonnaTLC said:

Japanese experiment with only 1

"infected" person's hands.  (Using fluorescent paint and a black light)

Only 30 minutes later, everything has been contaminated.  Pretty scary stuff!

Screenshot_20200515-091627_Chrome.jpg

I'd love to see them do a similar experiment with every day situations.  Like using a revolving door, or riding an elevator, or using a shopping cart while going through the store.  I'd be willing to bet the transference rate is MUCH higher than that of a buffet.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, yorky said:

Big plus to changes to the buffet would be the huge cutting back on the obscene food wastage. You see the plates left on tables with mountains of food just thrown away.

I wish there was a way to charge the people who do that for all that waste.  Granted, there are times you get something you do not like and you don't eat it, but not "mountains of food".

Seating at breakfast and lunch in the buffets is near impossible to find particularly on At Sea days.  So if they add social distancing rules, then there will likely be a long line just to get into the buffet.  Not everybody goes there to gorge and waste food.  Yes a lot do that for sure.  But many people also go there for a quick bite so they can do other things. Lines and waiting would make it a less useful concept to some.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Seating at breakfast and lunch in the buffets is near impossible to find particularly on At Sea days.  So if they add social distancing rules, then there will likely be a long line just to get into the buffet.  Not everybody goes there to gorge and waste food.  Yes a lot do that for sure.  But many people also go there for a quick bite so they can do other things. Lines and waiting would make it a less useful concept to some.  

It was well over due for the vruiselines to rethink the buffet concept but even with outbreaks of Noro happening from time to time the cruiselines prefered to continue to take the risks as venues such as Ocean View or Windjammer are at the end of the day the best way to feed a large number of passengers fast at their current concepts. However now with COVID-19 the cruiselines are forced to think of ways to change this concept and since it is a goo opportunity I wouln't be suprised that a lot of resources are now dedicated to such long over due project of which we will see the Buffet concept as we know it from the past disapear maybe forever.

Oceanview / windjammer could be converted into a food court / market hall wth different concepts simmilar as already now with the buffet; Asian, Indian, International, Burger bar, Sandwich / Salad station, Fruits / Deserts. food could either be ordered directly at each station crowds issue) or through your personal device with oictures of the food items. You will enter your table number and the food / drink will be delivered to your table.

In additon the MDR will need to play a more important role also for Breakfast and Lunch, by operating at full capacity to handle more guests at the time inlcuding to be open on port days during lunch with a new lunch concept. They could offer limited butsimmilar selection as foun up at the new Ocean View concept such as daily changin options as follows: 1 Asian / Stir Fry, 1 Indian, 1-2 International, Burgers and salads made to order, deserts.

In additiom Blu to be open always also for lunch for Aqua Class guests, as already the case with Luminae for suite guests.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

It was well over due for the vruiselines to rethink the buffet concept but even with outbreaks of Noro happening from time to time the cruiselines prefered to continue to take the risks as venues such as Ocean View or Windjammer are at the end of the day the best way to feed a large number of passengers fast at their current concepts. However now with COVID-19 the cruiselines are forced to think of ways to change this concept and since it is a goo opportunity I wouln't be suprised that a lot of resources are now dedicated to such long over due project of which we will see the Buffet concept as we know it from the past disapear maybe forever.

Oceanview / windjammer could be converted into a food court / market hall wth different concepts simmilar as already now with the buffet; Asian, Indian, International, Burger bar, Sandwich / Salad station, Fruits / Deserts. food could either be ordered directly at each station crowds issue) or through your personal device with oictures of the food items. You will enter your table number and the food / drink will be delivered to your table.

In additon the MDR will need to play a more important role also for Breakfast and Lunch, by operating at full capacity to handle more guests at the time inlcuding to be open on port days during lunch with a new lunch concept. They could offer limited butsimmilar selection as foun up at the new Ocean View concept such as daily changin options as follows: 1 Asian / Stir Fry, 1 Indian, 1-2 International, Burgers and salads made to order, deserts.

In additiom Blu to be open always also for lunch for Aqua Class guests, as already the case with Luminae for suite guests.

Interesting proposal.  So both the buffet and the MDR could serve breakfast and lunch so there is more seating.  And they could offer the exact same ordering and food station concept.  No difference between them.  I like it.

Edited by TeeRick
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, TeeRick said:

Interesting proposal.  So both the buffet and the MDR could serve breakfast and lunch so there is more seating.  And they could offer the exact same ordering and food station concept.  No difference between them.  I like it.

I originally thought that one of the MDR levels could be used as Buffet with same setup as found on Ocean View, just to spread the crowds between the two locations. But since buffets will likely disapear a new concept can be developed to harmonize especially the future lunch concepts. For now, breakfast offering in MDR is already now ok, they will just need to work on capacity and maybe add / adjust some of the offering.

I just think the idea of having someone serve you the food at the current buffet setup is not the solution and the dining concept around OceanView needs to be "Revolutionized" completely.

On 5/14/2020 at 9:22 AM, tocruiseguy said:

I always hated buffets on the ships, especially the time I was washing my hands in the washroom right outside the Oceanview cafe and a guy walked right out of the stall past the sinks.  Witnessed him spooning food on his plate, infected everything he touched with his dirty hands.  When cruising starts up again the buffets need to be removed permanently.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/japanese-experiment-showcases-how-quickly-viruses-can-spread-at-buffets

Do you really think things are any better behind the kitchen doors in dining rooms?  Likely much worse.  How do you know that "he infected everything he touched with his dirty hands?"  We have no idea where yours have been before you walk into an MDR.  

On 5/16/2020 at 11:59 AM, Argo. said:

Royal Caribbean ships have the worst buffet structure on the high seas.  The Oasis class buffets are a disaster.  Of course, the MDR on Oasis class is, as well.  The ship has too many passengers for the dining spaces to comfortable accommodation,odate passengers.  

On 5/16/2020 at 10:22 AM, poffles said:

Totally agree.  The buffet is my preferred dining location but I would never argue that it couldn't be a 'carrier' location.  BUT, I'll add to the above to say consider the bars where people lean all over them, socializing with others inches away .. also consider the many that stand 3 deep behind each other breathing down each others necks!  The martini bar comes to mind ... eek!  Our normal behavior and human interactions are constant exposure places that extend far beyond the buffet.

That said, changing the buffet to self serve wouldn't be the worst thing to happen but it certainly would slow things down for meal time.  Removing the buffet concept entirely would make me sad unless a replacement is similarly efficient, the MDR is just so brutally slow and taking 2 hours to eat is just not enjoyable to me (only go there now and then) and if all the people like me end up in the MDR ...that 2 hours will likely become 3!

Perhaps an option could be an electronic menu ordering venue and items just got delivered to the table without a lot of hoopla, I think someone else might have mentioned this.  NCL has a venue like that ... Food Republic .. it's a la cart price though but perhaps they could introduce a variation of this as a free option.  Maybe even if they lowered the cost of the pay restaurants, how about that!

Good suggestions - agree.  Some US restaurants have also started electronic ordering from tables - no one takes your order.  

Upon entering the buffet there are always at least one attendant making everyone wash their hands in purell.  Doesn't that work?

I love the Celebrity salad bars.  Tongs are used to pickup the lettuce and other items.  I have never seen anyone at a Celebrity buffet salad bar try to pick up an item with their fingers.

Are there germs on the tongs, perhaps, but I haven't gotten sick on 20 ocean and 4 river cruises.

I noticed after two Royal C. cruises that a large portion of the buffet is not self service, but service by attendants.

Perhaps that is the way to go, have attendants serve.

• Like 1