The Daily for Thursday May 21, 2020

richwmn

today is Ascension, National Waiters and Waitresses Day, and American Red Cross Founder's Day

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
        -- Daniel Webster

Meal suggestion for today - Chicken Minestrone

At Sea Atlantic Ocean
Veendam destination Cape Town eta 5/23
Zuiderdam destination Walvis Bay eta 5/23

At Sea Indian Ocean
Nieuw Amsterdam destination Jakarta eta 5/28
Volendam destination Port Louis Mauritius eta 5/23

At Sea Pacific Ocean
Maasdam destination Labuan Malaysia eta 5/27
Noordam destination Manila 5/23
Westerdam destination Singapore eta 5/25

Cape Town Anchorage
Rotterdam

La Paz Anchorage
Oosterdam

Manila Anchorage
Amsterdam
Eurodam

Puerto Vallarta
Koningsdam

Scheveningen NL Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam
Zaandam

• Thanks 1

Good morning

Thank you for the Daily Report.

It's going to be another nice day here.  Sunny and mild (high 23C).  I think I'll do a bit of gardening.🙂

Not many waiters and waitresses around here at the moment.  And we are thankful for the service of our Red Cross in times of need.

Not sure what we'll have for dinner tonight, I'm hoping to have take-out if hubby and I can agree.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Stay healthy.

Thank you for the report.  Today is going to be in the mid 90's.  Very humid already.  Love our waiters and waitresses.  Things are beginning to open up so hopefully they will be able to get back on their feet.  Have a great Thursday.

• Like 1

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Good morning fellow Dailyites, hope all are well.

Denise - hope all is going well with Shawn’s closing & move. Joy hope you are succeeding in your simplifying & packing efforts.

Things are starting to open up here, so more waiters & waitresses will be on the job.

Tonight I am making yesterday’s suggested - zucchini pizza casserole. Who knew that the zucchini serves as the crust after grating it & mixing it with some cheese! Might even be able to individually package leftovers in pieces and freeze them! 

Stay well everyone!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Good morning fellow Dailyites, hope all are well.

Denise - hope all is going well with Shawn’s closing & move. Joy hope you are succeeding in your simplifying & packing efforts.

Things are starting to open up here, so more waiters & waitresses will be on the job.

Tonight I am making yesterday’s suggested - zucchini pizza casserole. Who knew that the zucchini serves as the crust after grating it & mixing it with some cheese! Might even be able to individually package leftovers in pieces and freeze them! 

Stay well everyone!

I’ll have to give that a try. Our zucchini plant has lots of small squashes, and I know in a matter of weeks (or less) we will be overrun.

• Like 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  With many waiters and waitresses out of work right now, when they do return to work, it might be helpful to leave them a little extra to show them we appreciate what they do.  Thanks to the Red Cross for all the places they go to help those in need.

On another note, I'm getting my hair cut today; yayyyy!!!  I'm going to look like a new woman in a couple of hours - I can't wait for the esthetics shops to open in the next phase of re-opening so I can have nice nails, too!

Dinner tonight - not feeling soup right now, so I'm thinking it will be a "freezer surprise" night.  And wine.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 3

Thank you Rich and thank you Clara Barton.  Not a lot of joy among waiters and waitresses but some beverage waiters should be reunited with their families and dining room waiters on the Nieuw Amsterdam are pretty much on the home stretch.

A tough choice between doing something and doing nothing.

A simple dinner for me, canned mac & cheese and some vegetables today. 

Still pretty cold here.  I don't generally wear a mask outdoors and it was cold enough to wear a ski cap that covers my ears so I just hold the mask in front of my face when I pass people on the trail.

Roy

PS: My Cunard safari refund Cruise was cancelled 3/16) hit my credit card this morning.

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 6

Thanks for the Daily, Rich 🙂 

Love your quote from Daniel Webster.

Hopefully our waiters and waitresses will be back here soon.  they certainly have had a tough time the last couple of months.

Dear Cat, your quote Denise - hope all is going well with Shawn’s closing & move.OMGOSH!

🌺 getting ready to leave again this am!!

Sooooo busy and believe me I am so tired and sore! The movers have been great just so much to do. Just don’t have time to get on The Daily that I miss. Hopefully by this weekend I will join up again. Miss everyone!

PS: take care Cat!I think of Joy too!

Also I think of our CC family here.

Denise😊

• Like 2

Good morning, all, and thank you Rich.  I am so out of it - I didn't even realize it was Ascension Thursday!  Must check last Sunday's bulletin.  Holy days have certainly gone by the wayside in this pandemic, and I don't know when or even if, we will ever go back to church again, as we are so old....

Pat is golfing today, and I had thought I would go to the grocery store, but perhaps I'll wait until tomorrow.  My hair salon said they are opening May 30, and I'm hoping for an appointment soon after that.  People are beginning to comment!  Shops with exterior doors are allowed to open, but not the enclosed malls.  We had a coffee yesterday at Pat's favourite place, and although it said take out only, we were invited in to sit at a table.  Pat is a regular there, and speaks Mandarin with the owners.  He really missed them while the place was closed.   Had to settle for Timmie's!

We were talking about rhubarb yesterday, and that made me remember fondly my rhubarb plant in our garden before I moved.  We called it "The Rhubarb That Ate Victoria", and I used to let it go to flower every few years to try to deplete some of its energy.  I finished up the last of what I had frozen last year (2 years after we moved) and I really miss it.  

CIMG3188.thumb.jpeg.9bc5072b83886c1363dfe14be904b523.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

I am in a new to me home so I get to discover all the past owner left for me to share. I have fifteen bushes that look like that rhubarb plant. I’ve discovered asparagus, garlic, onion, grapes and apples. BUT no berries. So sad about the lack of berries. And with our present situation I don’t think they will be having u-pick in the fields this year. 

Thanks Rich for the report. Hi everyone. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, lindaler said:

I am in a new to me home so I get to discover all the past owner left for me to share. I have fifteen bushes that look like that rhubarb plant. I’ve discovered asparagus, garlic, onion, grapes and apples. BUT no berries. So sad about the lack of berries. And with our present situation I don’t think they will be having u-pick in the fields this year. 

Thanks Rich for the report. Hi everyone. 

Can I come and steal one of those 15 rhubarb plants, please!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the Daily, Rich. It's sunny here with a high of 21ºC . We have no restaurants open, but definitely appreciating our takeout servers once a week or so. I haven't decided on supper tonight....could be grilled cheese. And wine. (I found a couple of bottles of blackberry merlot that I had hidden from DS#1 when we cleaned last week. 🍷)

• Like 3

Good day and thank you for the update.

Some of our local wait staff are back to work and more restaurants will be opening up next week as we go to 75% capacity. Very happy for them as I know these months have been rough.

I just started making some chicken and potato curry stew on this dreary day. 

All the peonies are budding or blooming now. Took this pic a couple days ago. 

IMG_20200514_130041955.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

CIMG3188.thumb.jpeg.9bc5072b83886c1363dfe14be904b523.jpeg

That’s really an attractive plant. I’ve never seen it in bloom.
Years ago I had a condo in Orange County and somehow found a couple rhubarb plants locally and planted them. It’s almost impossible to get fresh here. It used to be one of the stores sold it frozen but I haven’t seen it in years.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

That’s really an attractive plant. I’ve never seen it in bloom.
Years ago I had a condo in Orange County and somehow found a couple rhubarb plants locally and planted them. It’s almost impossible to get fresh here. It used to be one of the stores sold it frozen but I haven’t seen it in years.

You're not supposed to let it bloom, as it weakens the plant (supposedly!), but it never did to mine,  the flowers are really stunning, and the bees love them.

• Like 2