Vaccination by Christmas? Many takers?

Harry Peterson

1 minute ago, Esprit said:

Correct, but blood transfusions is a good point!

Indeed - I will not add anything else, as we are entering a highly contentious area here, and this is not the time or place!

• Like 3

The false information spread on vaccines, quite possibly Russian inspired, is highly damaging.

Measles is just one small example.  Children are being seriously harmed, thanks to the herd immunity now put at risk as a result of lies and misinformation.

Are we going to see this all over again with Covid?  I do hope not.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Indeed - I will not add anything else, as we are entering a highly contentious area here, and this is not the time or place!

Exactly. I've given up trying to defend her view. She did give birth to our two kids without any medical intervention to the surprise of the delivery doctors/nurses! 

Edited by Esprit

1 hour ago, Esprit said:

Exactly. I've given up trying to defend her view. She did give birth to our two kids without any medical intervention to the surprise of the delivery doctors/nurses! 

Has she allowed your children to be given the usual childhood vaccinations, and if not how do you feel about that?

3 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Definitely. If I'm still here that is😂.

Avril 

Avril

What would put the icing on the cake so to speak, is if you try the vaccine, Jean goes on her April cruise and reports back, and Wowzz and his ole lady, sit together on a park bench for a couple of weeks eating Camembert sandwiches.

Then if all,s well, we might come out of our hibernation.😄 wowzz----respect!

33 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Best we get back to discussing Covid, and ourselves?
The thread could go badly off ...

Exactly - I think everyone on here has strong views on the subject, and I suspect that there will be very, very few anti- vaxers. Probably best to move on.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

I will be first in queue for the vaccination if I  can.

Vaccination is not just for yourself  but to protect everyone else. it should be a free choice, get vaccinated or stay home.

To simplistic!

1 minute ago, mercury7289 said:

Camembert sandwiches.

Sorry, whilst I did sell Camembert and Brie in a previous life, I moved from the Dark Side, so Stilton sandwiches for me now.

• Like 1

So - most will proffer their arm for an accredited vaccine

Any oldies want to join the current vaccine trials?  I had a request from the Zoe app, which is tracking the spread of the disease.  They’re looking for more oldies now - have the vaccine, check it doesn’t do any harm, then get exposed to the virus

I’m not brave/unselfish enough.  Are you?

Interesting how overwhelmingly positive the response is on here to have the vaccine.  Perhaps the early horrors of confined passengers (and crew) on cruise ships brought it home to the cruising community very sharply.  Any of us could have been in that situation. 

I'm in the 'Yes' camp too.  As others have said, prioritise the order of vaccination availability but after that, the sooner the better for everyone who wants it!  

Edited by kruzseeka
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Problem is that joining  a trial invalidates travel insurance. 

Can you explain this please?  There is nothing to suggest this on out travel insurance, but feeling a bit wary in case it is introduced.

We live near one of the vaccine testing centres and I keep an eye on who they want.  Age group just gone up to max 69 from 55, but we are a matter of a few months over that.  I am partly interested as I would like the opportunity of an early jab and also my background in research work (was on their staff at one time).

Edited by tring

5 hours ago, wowzz said:

But, unless everyone on board has been vaccinated, will countries like Spain and Portugal let cruise passengers ashore ?

A  vaccination certificate would solve that. Easy.

Avril 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Esprit said:

She did give birth to our two kids without any medical intervention to the surprise of the delivery doctors/nurses! 

So did I with my three home births. However I believe in vaccinations and our children have had every one. One point I'd like to make, my husband had measles aged 7. He was left completely deaf in one ear. I also lost 4 school friends to polio.

Avril 

7 hours ago, Pine Man said:

Definitely have one BUT still surprised how many people will actually refuse to have one.

I have an elderly friend who has refused to have the Flu vaccine as long as I can remember and has said he definitely won't have the Covid 19 vaccination when/if it is released. His reasoning, "Don't believe in vaccines they make you ill. Better off taking you chances'.  Beggars belief but at least he is, reluctantly, agreeing to wear a face mask when shopping but not until 24th July!!

Have had all vaccines and really believe in them apart from one. I can understand your friend though as I have only had the flu vaccine once when I was about 35 and I have never been as ill as I was that year. As a result I have not had the flu vaccine and taken my chances and, though I have had heavy colds and the flu I have never been as ill as I was then.

When it comes to COVID19 I want to know that it is safe and hasn't been rushed through .... 

Edited by Presto2

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

Have had all vaccines and really believe in them apart from one. I can understand your friend though as I have only had the flu vaccine once when I was about 35 and I have never been as ill as I was that year. As a result I have not had the flu vaccine and taken my chances and, though I have had heavy colds and the flu I have never been as ill as I was then.

When it comes to COVID19 I want to know that it is safe and hasn't been rushed through .... 

You'll perhaps be a little concerned about this bit from the report then:

"......as the elderly were much more likely to die of the virus, regulators would probably need less assurance about the safety of a vaccine before giving it to them."

6 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

"......as the elderly were much more likely to die of the virus, regulators would probably need less assurance about the safety of a vaccine before giving it to them."

I'm not at the Heinz Variety age yet but it does worry me that they will rush though a vaccine that has risks ...

4 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Just checked the COVID-19 data for my area, it makes sobering reading. Deaths are 16.9% of positive tests. However these figures are for several months and that percentage might well be a lot less now. (1072 cases, 182 deaths, 5 new cases last week).

There will be a tipping point when any adverse reaction from a vaccine is less dangerous than doing nothing. At that point there will hopefully be advice from my doctor etc.

11 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Just checked the COVID-19 data for my area, it makes sobering reading. Deaths are 16.9% of positive tests. However these figures are for several months and that percentage might well be a lot less now. (1072 cases, 182 deaths, 5 new cases last week).

There will be a tipping point when any adverse reaction from a vaccine is less dangerous than doing nothing. At that point there will hopefully be advice from my doctor etc.

I suppose it depends on an individual's assessment of her/his own risk.  Personally, I know that the risks of the virus are very substantial because of the medications I have to take - with that very much in mind the risks from the vaccine are likely to be substantially lower and I'd sooner chance that than the virus.  Others will have different views.

As a carer for my wife, I qualify for free flu jabs and, being in my 50’s, would hope that I would be able to get the jab within a few months of it becoming widely available. I would find it a blessed relief not to have to worry about the prospect of contracting the virus and the knowledge that it could see me off and leave my wife unable to live on her own, so yes I’d be very much up for any trial vaccines as well. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

But, unless everyone on board has been vaccinated, will countries like Spain and Portugal let cruise passengers ashore ?

Brings you back to the "Covid-19 passport" model idea ... no one will force you to be vaccinated, but unless and until you are, international (and / or cruise ship travel) is restricted.

• Like 1