Vaccination by Christmas? Many takers?

Harry Peterson

According to today’s Times, reporting comments from the deputy chief medical officer for England, a coronavirus vaccine may be licensed for older people first and be made available “this side of Christmas”.

Jonathan Van-Tam said that as the elderly were much more likely to die of the virus, regulators would probably need less assurance about the safety of a vaccine before giving it to them. Vaccinating the 20 per cent of adults most at risk could eliminate up to 90 per cent of deaths, his calculations suggested.

Good news maybe for cruising again?  Happy to have the vaccine?  I’ll take a chance on it if it gets my freedom back.

• Like 6

Definitely have one BUT still surprised how many people will actually refuse to have one.

I have an elderly friend who has refused to have the Flu vaccine as long as I can remember and has said he definitely won't have the Covid 19 vaccination when/if it is released. His reasoning, "Don't believe in vaccines they make you ill. Better off taking you chances'.  Beggars belief but at least he is, reluctantly, agreeing to wear a face mask when shopping but not until 24th July!!

Edited by Pine Man
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

At one point I seem to recall during one of the No. 10 daily briefings, that over 50's would also be prioritised for vaccines.

As I am now in this category, I will be happily joining the queue to receive a vaccine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We would definitely have them. Hubby would likely get his free with the first batch, due to previous cardiac arrest. I am now just in the over 50s category, so hopefully I’d get one early. If not, I’d pay as I have had pneumonia 3 times now (most recent in February) and I can’t face it again yet as I still feel the consequences 

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Good news maybe for cruising again?  Happy to have the vaccine?  I’ll take a chance on it if it gets my freedom back.

So would we Harry. I don't want to spend the next xxx number of years we have left in hibernation. Anything offered that could give us back a relatively normal life we would grab with both hands. 

Avril 

• Like 2

Just now, Adawn47 said:

So would we Harry. I don't want to spend the next xxx number of years we have left in hibernation. Anything offered that could give us back a relatively normal life we would grab with both hands. 

Avril 

And us---------------- Once we checked out that you are both okay!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

We'll happily be your guinea pigs mercury 😆. Owt forra mate😉

Avril & Frank 

Brilliant, so once Jean has gone on her April cruise and reported, we will be in a position to make a decision!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mercury7289 said:

Brilliant, so once Jean has gone on her April cruise and reported, we will be in a position to make a decision!

Definitely. If I'm still here that is😂.

Avril 

• Like 1

Put me down for it ! 

The vaccine is a modified one that was tested on chimps a few years ago and has no risk to humans ,

it's now been modified to the covid 19 strain ,with excellent results . Bring it on ,the sooner the better for me .

• Like 3

My October and December cruises are still on at the moment, already had COVID so shouldnt need a vaccine. Hopefully this will mean its more likely we will go.

I'll have the Covid vaccine jab if countries/airlines/cruise lines make it compulsory, but have never had the flu one and don't want it either. The wife is an "anti vaxxer" so I guess I maybe cruising alone in future 😂

Edited by Esprit

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

According to today’s Times, reporting comments from the deputy chief medical officer for England, a coronavirus vaccine may be licensed for older people first and be made available “this side of Christmas”.

✂️ 

Not just the selfish ‘gets my freedom back’ but the essential ‘gets normal life back for the young ones & lets the economy revert to normal’

So - hospital & care workers likely to meet Covid first, then care home residents who want it and those of all ages who’ve been shielding, then meeeeeeeee (and other CCers)

See you in the Crows Nest and the first round is on me

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Hopefully the Cruise Lines would be allowed to say  no vaccination no cruise and make it mandatory like Insurance.

Would that rule be legal and enforceable I wonder?

That assumes that people could pay to jump the queue to get vaccinated, just so that they can go on holiday.

To me, that seems plain wrong. Surely at first the vaccine should be given to those most at risk, and those working in essential services.

I personally would not even consider paying for the vaccine unless I was sure that I was not depriving someone more in need of it, cruise or no cruise.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Esprit said:

I'll have the Covid vaccine jab if countries/airlines/cruise lines make it compulsory, but have never had the flu one and don't want it either. The wife is an "anti vaxxer" so I guess I maybe cruising alone in future 😂

I assume your wife is anti polio, smallpox, TB, Yellow Fever jabs as well then? Is she OK with blood transfusions?

• Like 1