Expect more Cancellations for rest of the year.

Cruiseboy06

Wow,  most of us have figured it out by now that rest of year or till late 2020 we won't be able to cruise!!  The CDC requests feedback from the public about resuming cruising and safety, AND the cruise lines needs to submit their protocols and guidelines before getting approval.  Also, COVID-19 won't be a  health emergency anymore.......... John Heald is the head of ITS ALL GOOD for October, but he needs to realize that it sends wrong message, and Carnival NEEDS to follow Princess' footsteps for canceling through Dec 15th.    By mid August they will cancel through at least mid December. 

CDC-2020-0087-0001_content-1.pdf

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Cruiseboy06 said:

Wow,  most of us have figured it out by now that rest of year or till late 2020 we won't be able to cruise!!  The CDC requests feedback from the public about resuming cruising and safety, AND the cruise lines needs to submit their protocols and guidelines before getting approval.  Also, COVID-19 won't be a  health emergency anymore.......... John Heald is the head of ITS ALL GOOD for October, but he needs to realize that it sends wrong message, and Carnival NEEDS to follow Princess' footsteps for canceling through Dec 15th.    By mid August they will cancel through at least mid December. 

CDC-2020-0087-0001_content-1.pdf 252.11 kB · 2 downloads

Nothing will sail out of a US port until after the Nov 3rd elections. And then it will take at least 5 or 6 weeks to get the ships ready so Princess knows what the real world is by cancelling until 12-15. And that date has to have everything fall into place perfectly mainly covid cases rapidly diminishing.

Cruise line cancellation dates are all about managing the money.

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

• I fully expect to have more cancellations but remain hopeful as I have a cruise in mid October on the Magic. It's a rebook of a July cruise that was originally booked in May at a "to good to be true" price. If the cruise goes in October, I will happily go as I would rather "die when I am living than live when I am dead." Truth be told though that is unlikely (dying even if I get sick) as the true mortality rate will be around .2 to .4% when it's all said and done and 80%+ are those over 65 with underlying health conditions, so I feel safe to go about living life and cruising.  If the cancellations continue, and they probably will, I will transfer the money and OBC (I just paid my final payment for October) to a premier cruise I just booked next June sailing out of Australia.  
  • Like 2

I guess I just look at it differently. 

I don't look at the "new cases" info to determine the cruise dates. A cruise ship is a finite space. The closest comparison for safety right now is Disney World. 

All the cruise lines have to prove is that people can be safe in a controlled environment. If the Disney bubble shows that it is possible to control the environmental issues enough to provide a reasonably safe space, all the cruise lines have to do is follow their example.

The next few weeks will determine how much we can protect those in a controlled environment. Then the cruise line presentations better be damn good.

Just my thoughts.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Floriduh said:

I guess I just look at it differently. 

I don't look at the "new cases" info to determine the cruise dates. A cruise ship is a finite space. The closest comparison for safety right now is Disney World. 

All the cruise lines have to prove is that people can be safe in a controlled environment. If the Disney bubble shows that it is possible to control the environmental issues enough to provide a reasonably safe space, all the cruise lines have to do is follow their example.

The next few weeks will determine how much we can protect those in a controlled environment. Then the cruise line presentations better be damn good.

Just my thoughts.

Walt Disney World and cruise ships are two completely different animals.

Does everyone forget Universal has been open for quite a while now?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cruiseboy06 said:

CDC-2020-0087-0001_content-1.pdf 252.11 kB · 23 downloads

John Heald is doing his job, that's about all there is to what he says.  If he told people not to book, or to expect cancellations, then he'd be canceled by Carnival.

I don't see cruises in the US starting until well into 2021 and that's thanks to all the people who think masks & social distancing are unnecessary.  

• Like 11

59 minutes ago, MrPatches said:

I don't see cruises in the US starting until well into 2021 and that's thanks to all the people who think masks & social distancing are unnecessary.  

I wish this was the only reason - There are many more people to blame!

37 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Yes and yet not that far apart.

Disney is restarting cruises Oct 1.

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/featured/2021-advance-booking/

So they say....I hope they do start and in true Disney form teach us all how to do it. My money would be on them to set the standard for anything and everything - except that I don’t think they will be cruising October 1 as will be the case of everyone else. 

Cruising is very different from land base entertainment. The common areas are mostly indoors and everything is meant to get people closer together. They are both entertainment but are delivered in different ways and carry different issues. One big issues on a ship is there is nowhere to go if an issue breaks out. This issue is larger with the growing number of people you put on the ship. 

happy thought...happy thoughts!

2 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

that’s what they think!!!

Those are their goals, lofty as they might be. Why try to squash those hopes and inspirations not only for Disney but all of their loyal cruisers???  You wanna be next on my ever growing ignore list? Won't bother me in the least. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Stick93 said:

So they say....I hope they do start and in true Disney form teach us all how to do it. My money would be on them to set the standard for anything and everything - except that I don’t think they will be cruising October 1 as will be the case of everyone else. 

I think watching AIDA will be informative.  The difference. being they will sail from places that managed to contain the virus, and don't stop in any ports (from what I understand).  I will be curious to see how Disney can control the port, and whether they'll be allowed to dock anywhere.  To be honest, I'm beginning to wonder if the piecemeal cancellations will cause more harm than good.  Yes, they have the deposit and payment money, but are their customers and agents starting to get burnt out?

Edited by naxer
  • Like 1

Thought since Princess announced their extension that Carnival was doing so yesterday.  Since they are both owned by the same company don't think that there is a chance in heck of one line sailing while the others do not

• Like 1

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

Thought since Princess announced their extension that Carnival was doing so yesterday.  Since they are both owned by the same company don't think that there is a chance in heck of one line sailing while the others do not

While I am less than hopeful that Carnival will resume in October, there are differences between the two brands. Princess has a much higher average age (higher risk), was the bigger problem before, and is a smaller portion of their fleet.

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing the link to the CDC's request for information in the Federal Register, cruiseboy06.  The CDC is asking some extremely important and tough questions, and I'll waste some time trying to answer them as well as I can (not here; this would be merely a thought exercise for me).

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, molly361 said:

IMHO, Carnival will restart before Princess. Carnival caters to a younger crowd where the risks of complications from a COVID infection are less. HAL will restart last with the oldest, and at highest risk, average passenger.

IMHO, I think Disney will open later too. Can't easily control the kids (keep masks on, don't touch everything, etc.). If one person has it, it will spread to all the passengers with kids in an enclosed cruise ship.

3 minutes ago, richmke said:

Carnival caters to a younger crowd where the risks of complications from a COVID infection are less. HAL will restart last with the oldest, and at highest risk, average passenger.

From a public health point of view, while who gets it and how sick they get is important, the greater concern is how to stop its spreading.  Restarting cruising will not depend on the ages and healthiness of the cruisers, as much as where they come from, their numbers, their potential interactions, and where they are going.  

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Joe817 said:

Those are their goals, lofty as they might be. Why try to squash those hopes and inspirations not only for Disney but all of their loyal cruisers???  You wanna be next on my ever growing ignore list? Won't bother me in the least. 

LOL!!! Your ignore list? 😁There is also nothing wrong with being a realist either, I'm also saying "that's what they think". No one can squash anyone's hope, unless they allow it. (said in a soft and kind voice).

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, richmke said:

IMHO, Carnival will restart before Princess. Carnival caters to a younger crowd where the risks of complications from a COVID infection are less. HAL will restart last with the oldest, and at highest risk, average passenger.

IMHO, I think Disney will open later too. Can't easily control the kids (keep masks on, don't touch everything, etc.). If one person has it, it will spread to all the passengers with kids in an enclosed cruise ship.

Young parting crowd, are you making the analogy to Florida versus retirement homes, that went well as we can see, LOL

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, naxer said:

From a public health point of view, while who gets it and how sick they get is important, the greater concern is how to stop its spreading.  Restarting cruising will not depend on the ages and healthiness of the cruisers, as much as where they come from, their numbers, their potential interactions, and where they are going.  

When any cruise line can restart will depend upon what you say. Once that threshold is met, which lines open up will depend upon the demographics of the cruisers. All else being equal, the lines with an older demographic will open later than ones with a younger demographic.