Hurtigruten stumbles on restart

RubyCam

Yesterday (or the day before) it sounded like it was the crew and all the disembarking passengers had been quarantined.  Now, things seem to have taken a different turn?

Here is the link to the story which RubyCam is referencing - https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/at-least-40-infected-with-covid-19-on-norway-cruises-amid-scramble-to-trace-passengers/45942592

6 minutes ago, kazu said:

Yesterday (or the day before) it sounded like it was the crew and all the disembarking passengers had been quarantined.  Now, things seem to have taken a different turn?

Here is the link to the story which RubyCam is referencing - https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/at-least-40-infected-with-covid-19-on-norway-cruises-amid-scramble-to-trace-passengers/45942592

Thanks for sharing the link.  On my FB feed a day or so ago it did sound like just crew.

Add Paul Guaguin to the list of stumbled restart. I believe this is their first cruise :(. Currently all onboard are being tested.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23323-paul-gauguin-has-a-covid-19-case.html

39 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Thanks for sharing the link.  On my FB feed a day or so ago it did sound like just crew.

First report was only 4 crew. Then 33. Today the number rose to 36 and added 4 passengers for a total of 40 infected. To the best I can gather from translation, some of the passengers from the second sailing are quarantined in Tromso at the Clarion hotel. Two cruises are effected. All passengers from both cruises (who are not at the Clarion) are being asked to self quarantine. 

Let's stop and think about this for a while.  How can any sizable group of people anywhere, not just on a ship, not have some type of illness that could be passed on to other people?  People are naturally "germy".  Covid-19 makes the issue more serious.  

The question is "how to deal with this".  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Geez, it’s so important to get a restart right and they clearly failed.  We have sailed on Hurtengruten before and having a booking with them for the summer of 2021.

Seems a shame that getting things done fast and being first takes precedence over getting it right.

You would hope the same dynamic is not in play for the various companies developing a vaccine.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Let's stop and think about this for a while.  How can any sizable group of people anywhere, not just on a ship, not have some type of illness that could be passed on to other people?  People are naturally "germy".  Covid-19 makes the issue more serious.  

The problem is that the ways to deal with it, are not conducive to a cruising environment.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

You would almost need everyone go into a pre-cruise quarantine, with zero change of exposure.  The same for the crew.  That way, anyone recently exposed, would have time to test positive, safely away from the other passengers.

4 months after getting passengers off of ships the cruise lines were still dealing with COVID cases on board (recent CDC report).

The characteristics long incubation time, number of asymptomatic cases, ease of spread, high rate of testing false negatives.  all combine to make this extremely difficult to control.  You would not only need quarantine, you would need isolation.

Bottom line.  Would you want your children, your grandparents, your other loved ones to have booked this cruise at this time?   

Yet there are still people out there who expect to be able to board a cruise in a US port in the Oct/Nov/Dec time frame.  

I do not understand the logic given the current numbers and the anticipated trajectory.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

OMG - I think we need a reality check here.  Remember when it was not all that unusual to have 100+ with a Nor Virus or any other kind of flu?  People are going to get sick when they are with other people.  Common sense says we will never be "sick/flu" free.  This is serious, I understand but people die of flu everyday on cruise ships and everywhere else.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, npcl said:

The problem is that the ways to deal with it, are not conducive to a cruising environment.

No disagreement from me with your thinking!  

However, if the cruise industry does not find a way to adequately deal with it, the cruise industry as we know it will be "toast".