MSC resume cruising

Cathygh

The first one visits ports in Italy, the next one goes to Italy and Greece. People will be allowed off with extra protection in place. There's a whole raft of protocols in place but I'm a  bit too far a into a bottle of wine to find them atm🍾

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It seems to say that you can only get off on a ship's excursion and they will provide each person with three complimentary. Not sure if this is a bold or stupid move. It is certainly a high risk strategy and if it backfires could shut down European Ocean cruises for the rest of the year...

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Britboys said:

It seems to say that you can only get off on a ship's excursion and they will provide each person with three complimentary. Not sure if this is a bold or stupid move. It is certainly a high risk strategy and if it backfires could shut down European Ocean cruises for the rest of the year...

As a private, family company,  I guess MSC can do what they like. However, I can't imagine a cruise from Italy, with everyone having to go on a ship excursion,  ending well.   

• Haha 1

On 8/8/2020 at 11:31 PM, wowzz said:

As a private, family company,  I guess MSC can do what they like. However, I can't imagine a cruise from Italy, with everyone having to go on a ship excursion,  ending well.   

Greece are talking about allowing cruising soon. A cruise featuring Italy and Greece may prove interesting.🤔

• Like 1

On 8/8/2020 at 9:21 PM, Britboys said:

To be allowed off ship only on ships excursions does not sound like fun to me. Should P&O follow suit I am unlikely to pay the balance on my Jan cruise.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Denarius said:

To be allowed off ship only on ships excursions does not sound like fun to me. Should P&O follow suit I am unlikely to pay the balance on my Jan cruise.

I wonder if MSC or P&O will offer 3 free accessible tours for full time wheelchair users, as well?

• Like 1

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/heres-how-genoas-stazioni-marittime-preparing-cruises-restart

Here's some details of the MSC boarding process.  It doesn't sound like the most relaxing start to a holiday.

An allotted check in time is key to their process. I'm not sure if P&O cruisers will turn up at allotted times. When this was introduced a few years ago,  I remember a right old kerfuffle when people were given a 3.30pm check in time 

I normally get a 1pm boarding time and usually get there about 15 minutes before hand, and the hall is normally heaving with people at this time.  There'll need to be a change in passenger behaviour if P&O go down the 'rapid testing' route. 

Another thought that struck me is that the ports will need a lot of coaches.  Even if onboard passenger capacity is reduced, a large percentage will now do the shore excursions. The coaches will be at reduced capacity for social distancing. I did a coach trip the other week (booked pre COVID), and the maximum capacity was 50% 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/heres-how-genoas-stazioni-marittime-preparing-cruises-restart

Here's some details of the MSC boarding process.  It doesn't sound like the most relaxing start to a holiday.

An allotted check in time is key to their process. I'm not sure if P&O cruisers will turn up at allotted times. When this was introduced a few years ago,  I remember a right old kerfuffle when people were given a 3.30pm check in time 

I normally get a 1pm boarding time and usually get there about 15 minutes before hand, and the hall is normally heaving with people at this time.  There'll need to be a change in passenger behaviour if P&O go down the 'rapid testing' route. 

Another thought that struck me is that the ports will need a lot of coaches.  Even if onboard passenger capacity is reduced, a large percentage will now do the shore excursions. The coaches will be at reduced capacity for social distancing. I did a coach trip the other week (booked pre COVID), and the maximum capacity was 50% 

Sounds like a nightmare. And what about fly cruises, where passengers may arrive en mass from a connecting flight? What would P&O do for example in the Caribbean, where charter flights bring hundreds of passengers at a time to be ferried on coaches to the ship? And when flights can often arrive around the same time. Does not seem practicable to me on large ships, although could possible work on small ones.

Edited by Denarius

5 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I won't be cruising if I can't go ashore independently.  Thought that might happen.  I also won't be even considering it if it includes masks and social distancing.   Just won't be the same at all.

Agree. I want a holiday not an ordeal.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

I won't be cruising if I can't go ashore independently.  Thought that might happen.  I also won't be even considering it if it includes masks and social distancing.   Just won't be the same at all.

At the moment we think we will go if our Feb cruise takes place.  We have a balcony cabin and if masks are needed inside the ship, we will undoubtedly spend more time in the cabin.

Masks will not be needed in the restaurants, so that takes up a big chunk of the day, but not being able to go ashore for a wander would be a big issue for us, especially if the ship is just poodling around the channel and western approaches, rather than the Canary islands.

• Like 1

We are booked onto the Iona Canaries cruise on 16th Jan and if it goes ahead under these conditions I think Id definitely go! A 45 minute wait for a test doesnt seem such a big deal when you consider the waits at airports, and would make me feel safer. Equally a daily temp check should take seconds so no great hassle. Shore excursions are fine by me-especially of we get some for free! We are in the lower risk age bracket however and do have a higher grade cabin with balcony so these are all factors in favour. I suppose its all about us all doing our own individual risk vs benefit assessment!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, NaomiW said:

We are booked onto the Iona Canaries cruise on 16th Jan and if it goes ahead under these conditions I think Id definitely go! A 45 minute wait for a test doesnt seem such a big deal when you consider the waits at airports, and would make me feel safer. Equally a daily temp check should take seconds so no great hassle. Shore excursions are fine by me-especially of we get some for free! We are in the lower risk age bracket however and do have a higher grade cabin with balcony so these are all factors in favour. I suppose its all about us all doing our own individual risk vs benefit assessment!

Not sure about the 45 minute checks. No proof that these are reliable.

Temperature checks -  inconclusive.

Shore excursions in a hermetically sealed environment.  Why bother?

MSC have an awful reputation for refunds.

Be thankful that your Iona cruise will be cancelled.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

Not sure about the 45 minute checks. No proof that these are reliable.

Temperature checks -  inconclusive.

Shore excursions in a hermetically sealed environment.  Why bother?

MSC have an awful reputation for refunds.

Well if my cruise is cancelled then I will be grateful for the refund. I am realistic enough to know that it is still unlikely to happen but this news offered just a little slice of optimism in what has been a pretty bleak few months. The cruise is still 5 months away, which is an age in pandemic terms, so whilst the rapid tests arent perfect at the moment, I am hopeful there will be improvements by then. I have to say, whilst this forum seems friendly for the most part, this sort of occasional mean spirited post is what puts me off posting-I guess Ill go back to being a lurker!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, NaomiW said:

We're booked on Iona at the tail end of November.  If she sails, we'll be onboard.  From what you've said, the only thing that doesn't appeal is the shore excursion issue, even if they are free.  But that said, there are a couple of trips that would appeal, though in ordinary times we would do the sameish thing independently.  

There's plenty of us on here who have a similar positive attitude to yourself, don't be put off!

• Like 8

20 hours ago, wowzz said:

As you seem to know what will happen in another 5 months time,  Can you let me know the lottery numbers this Saturday please?! 

If our cruise happens in December, we’ll happily go

If it’s cancelled I’ll take the refund

However, lockdown only commenced 5 months ago, and since then a lot has happened... now people are piling into resorts with sadly no social distancing near us (we live in a tourist area) and few masks seen outside of shops

Who knows what the next few months will bring?  

The Govt. has a tough balancing act with deaths/infection rate vs the economy/protecting businesses... 

GBM

• Like 9

On 8/16/2020 at 11:34 PM, NaomiW said:

Until the announcements about temperature checks and tests are accompanied with clarification about what they would do in the event of you failing either test, I would not consider a cruise.   Imagine you fly all the way to the Caribbean and get told you cannot board because you have a 38 degree temperature.    

I know that it is safer for everyone on the ship/plane.  I am quite happy to social distance,  I don't even complain about wearing a mask.  I just cannot bear the thought of paying out £5000 for a trip and then finding I am unable to board the ship, unable to get on the plane back home (because of my temperature) and unable to claim insurance because the insurance company will not have anything to do with COVID.  

For once I agree with my other half when it comes to travel.  The next few trips will have to be all by car.  

57 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

Well done MSC

• Like 3