MSC resume cruising

Cathygh

3 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

I do agree but then no one gives a t055 on other threads such as Iona construction either. So it appears the forum is now a free-for-all. That said, most cruising related topics are coronavirus influenced at present so not unrelated.

Totally agree with you it’s the same topic on multiple threads hence why it becomes boring reading through them to get something different, we all know what’s happening but the earlier post of mine about Emma was something current and it adds to the debate should we start cruising or not.

5 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

I do agree but then no one gives a t055 on other threads such as Iona construction either. So it appears the forum is now a free-for-all. That said, most cruising related topics are coronavirus influenced at present so not unrelated.

I would suggest that in these trying times the mods are using their common sense, keeping traffic on the site up for their advertisers, and giving some of us, who would otherwise be climbing the walls, something to do.

You are absolutely right that numbers as a percentage is the only worthwhile way of interpreting stats - if you don't test anyone, you have no cases.😕

• Like 3

I think we should have a COVID thread and keep this thread just for the original topic

When I suggested this on the Iona Construction thread I was ridiculed and felt the forum is very clicky and I was not welcome so I mainly lurk these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

When I suggested this on the Iona Construction thread I was ridiculed and felt the forum is very clicky and I was not welcome so I mainly lurk these days.

I don't think there is any deliberate intention to ridicule or block anybody out, but perhaps a misguided intention to encourage others to join in the spirit of not taking it all too seriously at the moment. 

My own opinion is talk about what you like, join in when appropriate and appreciate that times are different.. 

If I get bored, I scroll on by. 

Andy 

• Like 10

18 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I don't think there is any deliberate intention to ridicule or block anybody out, but perhaps a misguided intention to encourage others to join in the spirit of not taking it all too seriously at the moment. 

My own opinion is talk about what you like, join in when appropriate and appreciate that times are different.. 

Andy 

Totally agree Andy I spend an awful amount of time just scrolling by,I know the subject of COVID is current but does it add to peoples view of cruising.

changing the subject my doctor told me this morning I must drink more water for my blood pressure jokingly I replied I refuse to drink John Smith’s 

Edited by Bazrat
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

What he said. We all need a release at the moment and this is it for some of us. I'm sorry if I offended you, but the last thing I need right now is someone trying to pour cold water on our attempts at a bit of normality. Everyone welcome and there are a lot of new or new-ish posters who have been welcomed with open arms.

I lurked for a long time before saying much (most probably wish I had carried on lurking...) - my normal home is the Cunard boards, but they are pretty dull at the moment, so, as I've been on a few P&O cruises, I transferred my affections. Please join in with us - you might enjoy it. If they'll let me join in, they'll admit anyone.😂

• Like 10

29 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

You will always get that Just smile and carry on

Although I’ve been a member of the forum for many years, for various reasons I didn’t post, although I often read what people post.

I’ve  recently come out of the closet and have started posting and I’m really enjoying the experience. 

In my experience, threads often drift, like conversations, but they usually return to the original subject.  In the current situation, I didn’t think it was an issue, but now I feel ever so slightly anxious that I might accidentally take the thread away from the originally subject and therefore inadvertently upset someone! 

• Like 8

I still feel that serious questions are addressed and answered in the spirit of why we all joined the forum, it just, more often than not, drifts away. 

I certainly never mean to offend anybody but am often party to the subject changing. 

A while ago, there was nothing but Covid threads with everybody worried. Lots of posters stepped up to help others with advice, humour and support. 

Does it really matter if Kalos posts a picture of himself in a frock... 😊

Certainly brightens my day. 

Andy 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I still feel that serious questions are addressed and answered in the spirit of why we all joined the forum, it just, more often than not, drifts away. 

I certainly never mean to offend anybody but am often party to the subject changing. 

A while ago, there was nothing but Covid threads with everybody worried. Lots of posters stepped up to help others with advice, humour and support. 

Does it really matter if Kalos posts a picture of himself in a frock... 😊

Certainly brightens my day. 

Andy 

Just today we've sorted acid reflux/trapped wind/escaping frocks plus the option of paying for a 'flu jab. I know of no other forum that covers such a wide range of topics with such a cornucopia of knowledge.

Edited by AnnieC
  • Like 10

2 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Some other cruise line sections are almost dead.  Ours is not.   That must say something.

It has lifted my spirits ,many times over the past 5 months.

Well said - it's kept me (almost) sane.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Azura and Britannia will not undertake their repositioning voyages as planned. There was questions over whether they would sail empty of passengers on the previously scheduled dates. This is not happening.

Presumably that means no Caribbean cruises ?

43 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Just today we've sorted acid reflux/trapped wind/escaping frocks plus the option of paying for a 'flu jab. I know of no other forum that covers such a wide range of topics with such a cornucopia of knowledge.

This shows we are all now a closer group of friends who are all in this together helping each other in these difficult times.

I feel all of our threads have helped most of us enormously these last 5 months of coronavirus lockdown.

Hopefully everyone feels comfortable posting and lurkers feel free to post too.

Graham.

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

In March we only had a few deaths, and look what happened.

i thought, as a Society we would have learned from that, which is why most of us are doing everything that is asked of us, in order to stop it happening again. 

I agree.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

The intention is still to try but the ships won’t reposition as planned. They will travel later, if they go.

Do you know whether the two 35 night cruises on Ventura in Jan and Feb 2021 will go ahead?

I presume some of the concern is due to Aruba and now Trinidad and Tobago being added to the need to quarantine list?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kalos said:

The only thing that disappoints me on these posts is that a poster feels unwelcome or left out.:classic_sad:

I was also guilty of lurkerism🙂for some time and was reluctant to gate-crash into .what seemed like an established group, but it was the best thing I could have done. I've never felt snubbed, everyone was friendly and I felt accepted from my very first post. Since the pandemic this forum has been an extra lifeline, somewhere to go to raise my spirits with a laugh or two, to help others where you can, to be able to  ask for advice when needed, and when  we all went into lockdown it was a large virtual family so you didn't so isolated. So all in all a little thread drift is minor in the grand scheme of things. When cruising resumes the threads will return to normal, but the strong bond that has developed between us all will remain I'm sure.

Avril

• Like 10

5 hours ago, molecrochip said:

This is positive cases as a proportion of tests done.

image.thumb.png.258f8425e4899a7286138cb5347770d7.png

You'll  note that actually, very little change since the start of July. This is despite:

• Increased foreign travel
  • Decreased lockdown

The only difference is that our sample size has gone up. (i.e. number of tests).

When you take this together with the fact that the number of Covid-19 ventilated patients has remained well below 100 for some weeks now (did go as low as 56, but is currently around 70), the death rate, even using the old method remains the lowest it has been on a rolling average, and our death rate on the new method is comparable with the rest of Europe as they eased lockdown, it says that we're not doing too badly.

But the government will not say that, as it will cause people to become complacent. 

Excellent post.

Shows that all this frenzy about a second wave, spikes caused by teenagers being too close together on a beach etc. is just silly.

I went to our favourite pub on Wednesday for a Ravi special. Next to us were a table of 10  people, obviously friends meeting up.  They spent 90 minutes or so , chatting, all closely bunched together. No need for any masks - but, if they stopped in the local M&S foodhall on the way home, for 2 minutes, they would need to wear masks.

Someone explain the logic of that! 

We are in danger of being led into a dictatorial state,  based on suspect science and an acquiescient public.

Yes, we need to take precautions, but too many  believe the fictional data fed to us by the government.  Look how long it took for the death figures for CV19 to be reduced because PHE decided that once you had tested positive for CV19, however you died, you would be included in the CV19 death toll.

Testing is up, cases of CV19 are up (no surprise because increased testing is being carried out in hotspots), but related hospital admissions are way down,  and deaths are in single figures.  

Having said all of that,  I still cannot see any way that cruising will resume  any time soon. I thought I should at least take cognisance of posting on a cruising forum. 

Sorry for the rant! 

2 hours ago, ann141 said:

Do you know whether the two 35 night cruises on Ventura in Jan and Feb 2021 will go ahead?

I presume some of the concern is due to Aruba and now Trinidad and Tobago being added to the need to quarantine list?

I can't see any possible way that either of those cruises will go ahead. Far too many unknowns,  and what do you do if you gave a case of CV19 mid Atlantic? 

Moley has already hinted that the winter Caribbean sailing schedule is in doubt - can't see why P&O would do a 35 night cruise in the current environment. 

• Like 1