MSC resume cruising

Cathygh

19 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Having watched the whole interview (rather than the carefully edited scaremongering sky version), he acknowledged that we could have a vaccine this year and that's not something I've heard from him before. 

Not this side of winter and not before Christmas is what he said.

I’m just wondering what people think will happen when/if a vaccine is found. We have no idea of the effectiveness of an vaccine. It’s highly unlikely that it’ll be a one jab, 100% effective, goodbye Covid situation.  It may be something we’ll have to have each year, and might just give us protection so that we get a less severe case of Covid. Not to mention that it’ll take time to vaccinate everyone, both in this country and overseas. Meanwhile, the virus will still be at large and will still be as infectious as ever. Therefore, even if a vaccine is approved for general vaccination next year, we’ll still be living a socially distant life with restrictions for some time to come.

A vaccine isn’t going to reset the clock to December 2019. Too much has happened to go back. Life has fundamentally changed and even a vaccine isn’t going to change it back to the old way. 

I know some might think this is pessimistic, but I think it’s realistic. 

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I’m just wondering what people think will happen when/if a vaccine is found. We have no idea of the effectiveness of an vaccine. It’s highly unlikely that it’ll be a one jab, 100% effective, goodbye Covid situation.  It may be something we’ll have to have each year, and might just give us protection so that we get a less severe case of Covid. Not to mention that it’ll take time to vaccinate everyone, both in this country and overseas. Meanwhile, the virus will still be at large and will still be as infectious as ever. Therefore, even if a vaccine is approved for general vaccination next year, we’ll still be living a socially distant life with restrictions for some time to come.

A vaccine isn’t going to reset the clock to December 2019. Too much has happened to go back. Life has fundamentally changed and even a vaccine isn’t going to change it back to the old way. 

I don't think most people underestimate the scale of the challenge. But the first step in the right direction would be a vaccine, a treatment or a sign that the virus is weakening. I think what people want is a bit of hope, and that might provide it. 

Even Professor Jonathan Van Tam has recently said that we could have something resembling normal by Easter next year if things go in the right direction. And he's normally very realistic.

• Like 2

The original SARS, plus MERS, have been around for years (2003/2012 respectively)

There has been ongoing research into both diseases, including search for a vaccine.

The common cold is a coronavirus, like Covid-19 and SARS and MERS .  The UK govt funded  a research programme searching for a cold vaccine from 1946 - 1989 before closing it due to lack of progress.

I would (as Kevin Keegan said) luv it if an effective vaccine could be found.  Hopefully, as a relative oldie, I’d be near the front of the queue.  I’m not optimistic though.  Something might happen - possibly something quite left field, like personal hazmat suits - but not winter 20/21

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Even Professor Jonathan Van Tam has recently said that we could have something resembling normal by Easter next year if things go in the right direction. And he's normally very realistic.

He's the one I really listen to. He's straight to the point and tells it how it is with no sugar coating. That's why we saw a lot less of him during briefings, he wasn't political.

Avril

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Adawn47 said:

He's the one I really listen to. He's straight to the point and tells it how it is with no sugar coating. That's why we saw a lot less of him during briefings, he wasn't political.

Avril

I imagine they had him locked in a cupboard 🤣 he does say what he thinks, which is exactly what we need in this situation, whether it's good or bad news. That's why I was quite surprised about what he'd said. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Spin. 

Prof. Whitty said he would be quite surprised if we had a highly effective vaccine ready for mass use in a large percentage of the population before the end of winter certainty this side of Christmas.

He said while people were developing a vaccine at extraordinary fast speed the virus would continue to pose a really serious challenge for at least the next 9 months. As reported by the BBC.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

I imagine they had him locked in a cupboard 🤣 he does say what he thinks, which is exactly what we need in this situation, whether it's good or bad news. That's why I was quite surprised about what he'd said. 

I like to know where I stand, good or bad, I can take it. I'm a big girl and don't need mollycoddling. When he stood on that podium and replied to  the question that everyone else was told avoid I actually applauded him. A man of integrity.

Avril

• Like 5

Useless factoid of the day: his grandfather was Prime Minister of the State of Viet Nam. 

Marvellous man, who mysteriously vanished after telling us all that Cummings was subject to the same rules as the rest of us.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

I thought he was probably joint 3rd for appearances on the Covid Chronicles with Jenny Harries, behind Whitty and Vallance.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I remain unconvinced. You could get infected towards the end of the cruise and have left the ship before you know. As for masks, I wear them where the law requires It, but really struggle with them and can’t wait to get them off. I would rather not go on any holiday, cruise or otherwise, where they are required. It would be an ordeal not a pleasure. TBH I’d rather stay at home than endure that. 

I feel the same about masks.  We have done click and collect for the last few months, but have had a few weeks away in our touring caravan and have been in supermarkets for our groceries etc.  Can't wait to get the mask off.  Normally we would browse the shops when we are away, but really couldn't face putting a mask on unless it was a necessity we wanted.  I can't imagine we would be happy on a cruise with the situation as it is at the moment.  We have one at the end of January to decide on, but unlikely we will go if it is still on.  Cancelled this October cruise and transferred to 2021 but of course P&O have cancelled now.

19 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I thought he was probably joint 3rd for appearances on the Covid Chronicles with Jenny Harries, behind Whitty and Vallance.

Not once he transgressed. Not a single solitary further appearance. Ditto the Chief Nurse, who also wouldn't toe the party line and was removed from a press conference at the last minute; we were told she was "held up in traffic". 

Edited by AnnieC
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Not once he transgressed. Not a single solitary further appearance. Ditto the Chief Nurse, who also wouldn't toe the party line and was removed from a press conference at the last minute; we were told she was "held up in traffic". 

I don't think she was held up in traffic, it was more like red tape.

Avril

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I don't think she was held up in traffic, it was more like red tape.

Avril

Avril, you cynic! There was loads of traffic about during lockdown so it must have been true, even if the lady herself says it wasn't...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Avril, you cynic! There was loads of traffic about during lockdown so it must have been true, even if the lady herself says it wasn't...

I do apologise. I keep forgetting.😵

I am a sheep, I must believe what the ministers say.🐑

😁

Avril

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I remain unconvinced. You could get infected towards the end of the cruise and have left the ship before you know. As for masks, I wear them where the law requires It, but really struggle with them and can’t wait to get them off. I would rather not go on any holiday, cruise or otherwise, where they are required. It would be an ordeal not a pleasure. TBH I’d rather stay at home than endure that. 

I fully agree with you on this. We have no intention of paying £4k plus (our usual price range) for a cruise holiday that is not enjoyable and with a number of restrictions and additional risks. Along with what seems to becoming the norm of only ship excursions to be the only way of getting off in ports. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I do apologise. I keep forgetting.😵

😁

Avril

Hang on in there Avril I think the ministers will soon say ........

"Fear not, for we have a Cumming plan !" :classic_wacko::classic_wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

You are spot on and as well as the virus itself the social distancing,mask wearing,2 metres apart, lockdown and shielding will have affected lots of people psychologically already and in some cases forever.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Not to mention that it’ll take time to vaccinate everyone, both in this country and overseas. Meanwhile, the virus will still be at large and will still be as infectious as ever. 

I agree with your post and think the reality is we will also have to live alongside the anti-vaxers who

will for their own reasons refuse a vaccine as they have with measles flu etc .

For that reason my thoughts are it's going to be around for a very long time but hopefully not in 

pandemic  proportions.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

MSC  Magnifica proposed  August sailing cancelled, reported by posters on there boards.

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/environmental-health/msc-magnificas-restart-delayed-late-september

ironic that they mention the reduced interest due to the testing requirements as the reason for delay, but then in the next sentence saying there's plenty of interest....so which is it?!? 🙄

Edited by Captain_Morgan

12 minutes ago, Captain_Morgan said:

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/environmental-health/msc-magnificas-restart-delayed-late-september

ironic that they mention the reduced interest due to the testing requirements as the reason for delay, but then in the next sentence saying there's plenty of interest....so which is it?!? 🙄

The extra testing and the cancellations are due to the infection increases in Greece, which is the problem.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, mercury7289 said:

MSC  Magnifica proposed  August sailing cancelled, reported by posters on there boards.

These sudden cancellations or changes will be something that those who wish to cruise will need to get used to, as the situation is fluid