MSC resume cruising

Cathygh

The WHO are saying 2 years before we can hopefully get thru the pandemic.

same report quotes a SAGE member saying it will be here forever and will need regular vaccinations.

Prof Sir Mark Walport, a member of the UK's Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) - on Saturday said that Covid-19 was "going to be with us forever in some form or another". 

"So, a bit like flu, people will need re-vaccination at regular intervals," he told the BBC. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-53870798

And Harvard remind us of the reality of it and again stating it wont necessarily stop transmission anyway and merely make you less symptomatic with it.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hsph-in-the-news/covid-19-vaccines-unlikely-to-be-cure-all/

Edited by Chrisdriving

And not much has been said about this report i believe.

The Oxford University vaccine tipped as a "front runner" in the race to develop a coronavirus jab does not stop the virus in monkeys and may only be partially effective, experts have warned.

A trial of the vaccine in rhesus macaque monkeys did not stop the animals from catching the virus and has raised questions about the vaccine's likely human efficacy and ongoing development.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/doubts-oxford-vaccine-fails-stop-coronavirus-animal-trials/amp/

Edited by Chrisdriving

16 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

The extra testing and the cancellations are due to the infection increases in Greece, which is the problem.

Spot on John.

This second ship was due to undertake Greek itineraries. With the increase in Covid cases in Greek territories, Italy, along with other countries, have implemented testing and quarantine requirements. This has led to a significant number of cancellations according to various sources.

There does come a point where running a near empty ship becomes pointless especially if stops in Greece have to be cut to avoid an un-necessarily high Covid risk to the ship.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chrisdriving said:

The Oxford University vaccine tipped as a "front runner" in the race to develop a coronavirus jab does not stop the virus in monkeys and may only be partially effective, experts have warned.

A trial of the vaccine in rhesus macaque monkeys did not stop the animals from catching the virus and has raised questions about the vaccine's likely human efficacy and ongoing development.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/doubts-oxford-vaccine-fails-stop-coronavirus-animal-trials/amp/

In a way this is a bit of a non article. These are not new results. The previous suggestion had been that the Oxford Vaccine would require two shots to be effective. Also it has previously been announced that they have continued to develop the vaccine since the initial animal trials in April.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chrisdriving said:

The Oxford University vaccine tipped as a "front runner" in the race to develop a coronavirus jab does not stop the virus in monkeys and may only be partially effective, experts have warned.

That was 3 months ago and a lot has been said about it since then. Oxford vaccine group did a live q&a to fully explain how the trial works. The macaques were directly infected with huge amounts of the virus, much higher than we'd ever be subjected to. And none of the vaccinated macaques went on to get pneumonia, the main illness that has led to the most deaths through covid. I did post a link to the video a while back but you can find it on YouTube if you search for Sarah Gilbert. The results from the phase 3 trial shouldn't be too much longer now though and will show how much protection the vaccine offers to humans. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

That was 3 months ago and a lot has been said about it since then. Oxford vaccine group did a live q&a to fully explain how the trial works. The macaques were directly infected with huge amounts of the virus, much higher than we'd ever be subjected to. And none of the vaccinated macaques went on to get pneumonia, the main illness that has led to the most deaths through covid. I did post a link to the video a while back but you can find it on YouTube if you search for Sarah Gilbert. The results from the phase 3 trial shouldn't be too much longer now though and will show how much protection the vaccine offers to humans. 

Even if it just reduces the severity of the disease it IMO would be worth using. I have just received my flue jab reminder and as I understand it even if it is not a perfect match for this years flu viruses it can reduce the severity of the disease.

ps - is there a 'gibbering wreck' emoji

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Even if it just reduces the severity of the disease it IMO would be worth using. I have just received my flue jab reminder and as I understand it even if it is not a perfect match for this years flu viruses it can reduce the severity of the disease.

ps - is there a 'gibbering wreck' emoji

Absolutely. If it reduces the risk of death then that should be enough to allow some normality to return. I doubt there'll ever be no risk but, like you say, the same can be said for flu. 

Professor John Bell, from Oxford University, has been interviewed this morning and he thinks we'll get the first results from the last stage of the vaccine trial by early autumn. 

• Like 1

Having read through the last few posts, I would like to  pose a genuine question. How does anyone actually know anything?  Everything being said by the professors, scientists and doctors are their own personal theories and they are constantly contradicting each other. It's basically guesswork. This new and deadly virus has been with us for only 6 months so we're still learning. We've seen for ourselves how many times the advice has had to change over that time as they've learnt more. The only thing that I'm going to do is  keep following the safety guidelines and wait and see. Otherwise I stand more chance of dying from a stroke with all the worry than I  ever would from Covid 19.😷

Avril

• Like 6

I agree, Avril; the Department of Guesswork has been working tirelessly, night and day.😂

I've now chosen my expert (the sainted Jonathan Van Tam) and only listen to him.

Edited by AnnieC
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Adawn47 said:

Otherwise I stand more chance of dying from a stroke with all the worry than I  ever would from Covid 19.😷

Whilst I know you  made the comment in jest, you are absolutely right. 

There are far more dangers out there than CV19.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

That's one of the major web problems, data remains available forever and you need to check the date of issue before you start quoting it as relevant to any current discussions.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

I've now chosen my expert (the sainted Jonathan Van Tam) and only listen to him.

Me too. Unfortunately though, because he's not melodramatic he's never given much air-time. He's not 'newsworthy'

Avril

• Like 2

For all those who have expressed reservations about buffet dining and the hazards it creates for passing on Covid19, and wondered if we will we ever see it back on board in the same format as before. We went to M&S in Pudsey yesterday and decided to take advantage of Richi's largesse, but I was taken aback to find that the desert counter was still self serve, where there no gloves or even paper napkins to handle the same serving utensils and lift the covers from the gateaux.

I will let you know in a few days if we develop a nasty cough.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

For all those who have expressed reservations about buffet dining and the hazards it creates for passing on Covid19, and wondered if we will we ever see it back on board in the same format as before. We went to M&S in Pudsey yesterday and decided to take advantage of Richi's largesse, but I was taken aback to find that the desert counter was still self serve, where there no gloves or even paper napkins to handle the same serving utensils and lift the covers from the gateaux.

We had exactly the same experience in M&S and were also very surprised. Especially given that this was in Leicester! No symptoms thankfully. I considered it was a risk I was prepared to take for a slice of cake 🤣

• Like 1

latest on MSC is one new passenger tested positive twice on the first turnaround day. He and the other 15 passengers on the 'bus' which took them to Genoa were denied boarding.

don't go to Southampton on a coach or the train 😱

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

In our M&S there's usually an assistant on hand if you want something from 'under the dome'.  

11 minutes ago, davecttr said:

latest on MSC is one new passenger tested positive twice on the first turnaround day. He and the other 15 passengers on the 'bus' which took them to Genoa were denied boarding.

Doesn't this just illustrate yet again how difficult it will be to restart cruising in the current environment. 

There are so many possible contamination points, that it is impossible for anyone to truly avoid contact with anyone else.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, davecttr said:

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

Doesn't this just illustrate yet again how difficult it will be to restart cruising in the current environment. 

There are so many possible contamination points, that it is impossible for anyone to truly avoid contact with anyone else.

Makes me wonder whether the cruise lines could make it a condition of travel that pax do not use public transport to get to the embarkation port?  Which of course may also raises the question of whether or not pax could stay in a local hotel prior to departure?  And of course there would be the issue of airports for the fly cruises.  Presumably lots of red tape and self-declaration as well.

We're travelling by car for our next cruises (if they go), but we do like to stay in Southampton the night before.  But it's only 2.5 hour drive to Southampton for us, so not hotelling it is not a problem.  In the past though we have often got the train, and I would be miffed if that option were taken away.

12 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Makes me wonder whether the cruise lines could make it a condition of travel that pax do not use public transport to get to the embarkation port?  Which of course may also raises the question of whether or not pax could stay in a local hotel prior to departure?  And of course there would be the issue of airports for the fly cruises.  Presumably lots of red tape and self-declaration as well.

We're travelling by car for our next cruises (if they go), but we do like to stay in Southampton the night before.  But it's only 2.5 hour drive to Southampton for us, so not hotelling it is not a problem.  In the past though we have often got the train, and I would be miffed if that option were taken away.

To be honest, it makes  no difference how you get to the port. There is always the chance you could pick up the disease anywhere, although at present, that chance us almost Infitessmal.

You  could ask every passenger to self quarantine for 14 days and then drive directly to the port, but I can't see that working.

In the recent  international cricket matches, when the teams moved from Southampton to Manchester,  the English players were allowed to drive themselves between grounds, but they were only allowed to stop at designated service areas, and use specific "facilities".  Somehow I can't see P&O operating cruise only toilets on motorway services.

6 hours ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

We had exactly the same experience in M&S and were also very surprised. Especially given that this was in Leicester! No symptoms thankfully. I considered it was a risk I was prepared to take for a slice of cake 🤣

We got a Rashi Costa coffee today. My DW purchased a Belgian bun to share between us after our sandwich. She ate her half before me. I knew as it came from Belgium we should quarantine it, but as she had already whoofed her half I thought what the heck. 

Reckless of Woking😁

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, davecttr said:

How gutting would that be to be one of the 15 passengers denied boarding as well 😩

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

It would seem that a test taken a day or two prior to joining your cruise is probably the best way to ensure no one with the virus travels to the port, in that way the above issues should not occur.