This Does Not Work For Me: Free Roam Port Ban

Cruiseathoning

10 hours ago, SOCACRUISEGUY said:

The major lines here in the States can easily offer the same option as MSC. 3 excursions for roughly $100. Gives them control and some revenue. I think that’s wise. 

Do you really think the cruise lines in the US are going to sell these excursions at that bargain rate, especially when they are the only option for getting off the ship at a port?

9 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

It may be different when cruising resumes, but staying on the ship on port days is a great experience in my book. The ship is usually not crowded any where to include bars. Many of the relationships with bartenders I keep in touch with began on a port day when I spent hours talking to them at a bar when the bar was basically empty fie most of the day. 

When cruising resumes, ships won’t be “crowded” on sea days. Seeing some of these MSC cruises in Europe, they look practically empty. 

• Like 1

At least carnival is letting people switch cruises at no additional cost. no free roam will be a factor for many including us. Like many, we are still passing forward paid off cruises pre covid. had we known things were going to get this bad we would have never booked. But not being able to free roam in port seems like another hastily contrived decision. Doesnt much of "free roaming" occur outside anyway?

Considering its looking like we all have to get tested before boarding, temp check at boarding, and wears masks when not able to social distance. So we board the ship test proven covid free,, and still restricted where we can go in port, even with masks.  Let the ports decide. . With a 12 hour day in Juneau or whatever port it may be,  and 4 hour excursion, are we just supposed to go back to the ship for 8 hours? I mean come on. 

• Like 2

Agree - we are taking a cruise to Norway  in 2021.  Most of the excursions are around $200/person and there are four of us.  That adds $800 per port which we were not expecting.  And many of the excursions are things you can easily do on your own without being herded onto a bus and led around like kindergarteners.

I'm not saying we NEVER take excutions, but I always look to see if it can be done on our own, where we can go on our own timetable and under our own power.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, v3cruiser said:

Considering its looking like we all have to get tested before boarding, temp check at boarding, and wears masks when not able to social distance. So we board the ship test proven covid free,, and still restricted where we can go in port, even with masks.  Let the ports decide. . With a 12 hour day in Juneau or whatever port it may be,  and 4 hour excursion, are we just supposed to go back to the ship for 8 hours? I mean come on. 

Just FYI, my 39 yo son  just recovered from COVID and he never had a fever.  He was pretty sick for about 3 days. But never ran a fever.  In fact, he didn't want to get tested because he didn't have a fever.   I made him go and he tested positive.   So anyway, the reason for this post is that temp checks are not reliable. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I'm glad you don't have an issue.  Enjoy your cruise. 

My issue with moving mine was I have a dec 2021 cruise and a b2b march 2022. Didnt really want to move my feb 2021 a year later. Didnt want to cancel as I booked very good rates between 700 to 750 including solo fees and taxes. Typically prices are higher and will be again if things get more normal. Also booked april 2021 by which time I plan to be vaccinated and carnival sept 2021.

So it wasnt a easy decision for me either. I think the offers of being able to move cruises for free will expire sept 30, and oct 1st more heck breaks lose when people find out they really are stuck now with these new restrictions and the options to move are gone.

Cruising in February I decided was cutting it short to get vaccinated.. older will be allowed before the rest they say, but February was too soon to be sure of getting vaccinated for me, so I moved mine, and it was a b2b I was looking forward to. I felt like I had to decide by sept 30th.

Carnival doesnt have it in writing but has been letting people move their funds. But I expect that to stop. 

As I've said on other threads my parents are 94 and 102 and I do their shopping, so I also did it for them. I wouldnt have minded quarantine when i got home but I buy their food too. 

No easy decisions, and I expect going forward once the no sail order lifts and the lines come out with protocols the level of complaining will rise. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

My issue with moving mine was I have a dec 2021 cruise and a b2b march 2022. Didnt really want to move my feb 2021 a year later. Didnt want to cancel as I booked very good rates between 700 to 750 including solo fees and taxes. Typically prices are higher and will be again if things get more normal. Also booked april 2021 by which time I plan to be vaccinated and carnival sept 2021.

So it wasnt a easy decision for me either. I think the offers of being able to move cruises for free will expire sept 30, and oct 1st more heck breaks lose when people find out they really are stuck now with these new restrictions and the options to move are gone.

Cruising in February I decided was cutting it short to get vaccinated.. older will be allowed before the rest they say, but February was too soon to be sure of getting vaccinated for me, so I moved mine, and it was a b2b I was looking forward to. I felt like I had to decide by sept 30th.

Carnival doesnt have it in writing but has been letting people move their funds. But I expect that to stop. 

As I've said on other threads my parents are 94 and 102 and I do their shopping, so I also did it for them. I wouldnt have minded quarantine when i got home but I buy their food too. 

No easy decisions, and I expect going forward once the no sail order lifts and the lines come out with protocols the level of complaining will rise. 

Everyone's reasoning and issues are different and we need to respect that.  I always hated hearing people complain on the boards about what I thought were insignificant things.  Well here I am complaining. 🙃  I have gotten good information regarding our options to postpone our cruise that I wasn't aware of. 

You're right, no easy decisions.  We all have to evaluate what will work for us. We are entering our "golden years" and we do not plan on getting vaccinated.  We don't get the yearly flu shot and we're not starting now.  Again, what works for the individual.  Anyway, God bless your parents and you for taking care of them. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mulege said:

Cruise ship prices for excursions are usually much higher than private excursions. Anxious to  see if ship prices will go up or stay the same. They certainly will have a “captive” audience. 

I doubt they will go up.

One of the more popular reasons for not taking ship excursions is they can be crowded. That often isn't my experience, but they certainly won't be going forward for a while. I expect the excursions will be run more frequently will smaller numbers of people so that can maintain distancing and some level of control.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

We have a B2B booked in Jan 2021.  We will not get on the ship and wear a mask and pay for Carnival excursions in the port.  We like being able to go and roam on our own.  I'm praying they cancel my cruises.  They already canceled my March 2022 cruise???

You will likely know before final payment what the rules will be. You might want to be prepared to cancel on your own. If you are betting on Carnival to cancel, be prepared to lose. Consider buying cancel for any reason insurance.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

My point is that being "stuck" is a mindset. Everyone has options. 

It is. Also proof that marketing works. People hate to let "free money" go, even though it was never their money to begin with. All they "lose" is a marketing incentive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MommytoAsquared said:

Agree - we are taking a cruise to Norway  in 2021.  Most of the excursions are around $200/person and there are four of us.  That adds $800 per port which we were not expecting.  And many of the excursions are things you can easily do on your own without being herded onto a bus and led around like kindergarteners.

I'm not saying we NEVER take excutions, but I always look to see if it can be done on our own, where we can go on our own timetable and under our own power.

We were supposed to do a Norwegian fjords cruise this past summer. And you are absolutely correct that the ship excursions are very expensive, And I cannot say that any really appealed to me.

• Like 1

I don't love the idea of having to take an excursion offered by Carnival.  We have done so and had a good time.  Sometimes it is just easier because I don't have the energy to plan much before leaving due to work load or life.  🙂  But I will do it because I cruise for the ports most of the time.  We enjoy sea days to recover from excursion days, but not too many.  I need to get off the ship and enjoy or discover the ports.  One of our best days was getting caught in a rainstorm in Martinique that drove us into a tiny bar across from the port, full of Australians from a different cruise ship.  There is nothing like drinking with a bunch of Aussies in the rain that will lift your spirits. I will miss that spontaneity until we can cruise that way again- but I will cruise with all the restrictions until spontaneity returns.

Edited by pjhootch
  • Like 4

47 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

It is. Also proof that marketing works. People hate to let "free money" go, even though it was never their money to begin with. All they "lose" is a marketing incentive.

I was given the "free" money.  We all have our reasonings and situations and I find it difficult to give up $800.  I am not asking for anyone to agree or disagree with me. I certainly don't need for you to explain to anyone else why my unwillingness is silly because I feel like I'm "losing" money.  If giving up $800 dosen't bother you, then God bless you. Opinions are like bellybuttons, everybody has one.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

It may be different when cruising resumes, but staying on the ship on port days is a great experience in my book. The ship is usually not crowded any where to include bars. Many of the relationships with bartenders I keep in touch with began on a port day when I spent hours talking to them at a bar when the bar was basically empty fie most of the day. 

3 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I agree to a certain extent.   We stay on the ship when it goes to Nassau and Belize and we throughly enjoy it.  We're booked on our first southern Carib, going to 2 new islands.   We actually have friends who live 6 months of the year in Aruba and were looking forward to seeing them and having them show us around. 

Agree. Sometimes it’s nice to stay on the ship. I still get off in Nassau but no longer get off in Belize. I’m just not a fan and it’s not worth the tender ride, to me. 

3 hours ago, lagienomai said:

I thought of this but what about when more than one ship is in port? If they are wanting to keep us in the bubble how can that be when there is another cruise ship there. I have wondered that about alot of the islands where beach space is often shared with another ship.

I wonder if they won’t worry about this too much as you’re outdoors and the risk is less on a beach like GT. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I was given the "free" money.  We all have our reasonings and situations and I find it difficult to give up $800.  I am not asking for anyone to agree or disagree with me. I certainly don't need for you to explain to anyone else why my unwillingness is silly because I feel like I'm "losing" money.  If giving up $800 dosen't bother you, then God bless you. Opinions are like bellybuttons, everybody has one.

A week or so ago I booked a hump balcony april 25, to give myself time to get vaccinated. I don't get flu shots either, but I'm afraid of covid at my age. I got it for I think $887 total. Including port fees and taxes. I figure I saved at least $600 to $800.  Solo rate, but still saying pushed back my start date and saved close to the $ you say you would lose by sticking with carnival and February date. 

I'm agreeing with the think outside the box to get what you want.

• Like 2

If I cruise to somewhere that I want to get off the ship, making my own arrangements is certainly my first choice. But there're some cruises that I'd be happy to go on that I really don't care if I ever get off the ship at the ports. In those cases, the ship is definitely my destination. 

2 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

You're right, no easy decisions.  We all have to evaluate what will work for us. We are entering our "golden years" and we do not plan on getting vaccinated.  We don't get the yearly flu shot and we're not starting now.  Again, what works for the individual.  Anyway, God bless your parents and you for taking care of them. 

If, and this is just hypothetical right now, cruise lines required passengers to have a COVID vaccination, would you give up cruising?  If you are entering your golden years its obvious not getting a flu vaccine has worked well. 

25 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

If, and this is just hypothetical right now, cruise lines required passengers to have a COVID vaccination, would you give up cruising?  If you are entering your golden years its obvious not getting a flu vaccine has worked well. 

I don't see that happening, but if it does,  then sadly our cruising days are over. 

• Like 2

I can see the cruise lines requiring either proof of vaccination or taking a covid test before boarding.   I think by requiring one or the other, the cruise lines will be able to get the maximum number of passengers.  I don't have a problem with either one, so I am flexible and willing to do what it takes to cruise again.

• Like 1

If passengers are allowed off the ship only by a "bubble", then cruise lines need to offer the excursions well in advance of final payment dates. I do not want to sail to certain ports that I have already been to and then forced into excursions that take me to the same places I have previously visited. What is the point of sailing in Europe and the offered excursions are to only the highlights of each city? I have been to the Coliseum in Rome and the Parthenon in Athens, for example. I would cancel our Legend sailing next fall if this is the case. I have no problem understanding this approach, it just won't work for me and my husband. Carnival must list the available excursions well in advance of our final payment date or we may have to cancel. 

3 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Consider buying cancel for any reason insurance.

While policies differ, most cancel for any reason policies have to be purchased between 24 hours and 31 days after putting deposit down.  Unless Anyislandwilldo meets this criteria cfar insurance can't be added onto an existing policy, or be bought after whatever time period the travel insurance company allows.