This Does Not Work For Me: Free Roam Port Ban

Cruiseathoning

33 minutes ago, stellarose said:

I actually don't mind doing the ship excursions. we have had really good luck with the ship's excursions. I am also one of those paranoid people that would fear missing the ship  or being a pier runner. 

Get off the ship early. Just take a 2 or 4 hour AM excursion. 80 cruises behind us. On one excursion that we DID book before the cruise. We returned to the ship late. The excursion company notified the ship and no problem with waiting for us. We no longer take them, unless we visit a port we have not been to.

I wouldnt schedule a new cruise under the proposed rules, but we have one already scheduled for April, rebooked after last April was cancelled, and will deal with it for that one.

I think the testing part will be hard to make work properly. Just in the past week look at that ship in Greece, TWELVE people were told they tested positive, only to find out oops, false positive, sorry, you are fine. Same thing happened at a local school here. Kid tested positive, panicked everyone, shut down the school, mayhem in the streets........and yesterday, oops, false positive, sorry. Our whole family is scheduled to cruise in April, 11 of us. If one tests at the dock or whenever and is told no, and since we are together none of us can go, then after the ship leaves they find its a false positive, Im not promising there wont be a scene.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dltvermont said:

I wouldnt schedule a new cruise under the proposed rules, but we have one already scheduled for April, rebooked after last April was cancelled, and will deal with it for that one.

I think the testing part will be hard to make work properly. Just in the past week look at that ship in Greece, TWELVE people were told they tested positive, only to find out oops, false positive, sorry, you are fine. Same thing happened at a local school here. Kid tested positive, panicked everyone, shut down the school, mayhem in the streets........and yesterday, oops, false positive, sorry. Our whole family is scheduled to cruise in April, 11 of us. If one tests at the dock or whenever and is told no, and since we are together none of us can go, then after the ship leaves they find its a false positive, Im not promising there wont be a scene.

Will you get a refund if you are not able to board? What about all the money you spent on hotels and travel. You might want to get tested a week before you cruise and keep that report with you. If your report is negative and theirs is positive you have something to request a second test at least.

2 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Will you get a refund if you are not able to board? What about all the money you spent on hotels and travel. You might want to get tested a week before you cruise and keep that report with you. If your report is negative and theirs is positive you have something to request a second test at least.

Rcl and ncl both proposed you get a test up to 5 days before you board to give to them at boarding. Haven't seen plans from carnival. Rcl clearly hired someone to do a survey. Bunch of us got it. Among questions, would you get a covid test 1 to 5 days prior to your proposed vacation. Would you pay for it. How much would you expect the test to cost, if it costs $75 would you still go, etc. 

Might still be another test at boarding. 

5 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

That is what insurance is for.

18 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Rcl and ncl both proposed you get a test up to 5 days before you board to give to them at boarding. Haven't seen plans from carnival. Rcl clearly hired someone to do a survey. Bunch of us got it. Among questions, would you get a covid test 1 to 5 days prior to your proposed vacation. Would you pay for it. How much would you expect the test to cost, if it costs $75 would you still go, etc. 

I would prefer getting tested locally and just bringing the results to show them. Just find a place that gives results in a day or two or sooner. My Humana supplement insurance covers it 100%. No out of pocket at all.

1 hour ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I would prefer getting tested locally and just bringing the results to show them. Just find a place that gives results in a day or two or sooner. My Humana supplement insurance covers it 100%. No out of pocket at all.

Here in S Ga. it take 7-10 days to get results, so this would not work for us.  No problem paying for one, just no guarantee results would be back in time

baf

23 minutes ago, bafinegan said:

Here in S Ga. it take 7-10 days to get results, so this would not work for us.  No problem paying for one, just no guarantee results would be back in time

baf

Ouch. Took less than 24 hours to get my results with Kaiser.

Edited by pc_load_letter

We canceled Sept 30 for our cruise.  All the hype about having to test 5 days prior to sailing, then air travel to the port and test again.  Quite a crap shoot.  To test at home without any symptoms is expensive, plus if you can't board the ship for what ever the reason, then you have to quarantine at the port in order to fly home.  Plus if in some foreign port and you tested positive and went to a local hospital then had to fly home from there.  OUCH an expense!  Plus if the virus went hog wild, ship wide...what about your normal meds you needed every day?  How do you get them to live?  Just how many weeks do you need to bring from home for the cruise?  Last but not least I am sure...one of the things we really enjoy isn't ship excursions, but getting off ship and looking around in all the local shops.  Especially the out of the way shops.  Don

2 hours ago, deadmoney said:

What good is the testing?

The President and everyone he comes in contact with is tested every day and he still got it.

Food for thought.

You have to think of the cumulative effect of various protocols, not just one. 

- Testing alone doesn’t stop Covid.

- Washing hands alone doesn’t stop Covid.

- Masks alone don’t stop Covid.

- Social distancing along don’t stop Covid.

BUT

Testing + washing hands + masks + social distancing all together have proven to be very effective in controlling this virus. 

What happened to the President (and to all the people around him) shows what happens when you ignore this multi-layered approach, and you pick and choose some measures but not the others. Had he taken the test AND wore a mask, AND socially distanced, AND abided by heightened hygiene practices, the headlines today may have been completely different. But he chose to ignore quite a few of these protocols and now we’ve all seen what happens when you do that.

It’s definitely food for thought. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 10/2/2020 at 1:57 PM, hurricane0226 said:

Ah, Miss the pier runners, lol

On my first cruise on Paradise, I was shocked at how many people were late returning to the ship when we were at Cozumel. I don’t recall what time we were supposed to be back on the ship, but there were at least 50 people if not more that returned to the ship late. On dozens of subsequent cruises I have seen lots of pier runners, but never anything close to what I witnessed on my first cruise. 

2 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

On my first cruise on Paradise, I was shocked at how many people were late returning to the ship when we were at Cozumel. I don’t recall what time we were supposed to be back on the ship, but there were at least 50 people if not more that returned to the ship late. On dozens of subsequent cruises I have seen lots of pier runners, but never anything close to what I witnessed on my first cruise. 

If have never seen a pier runner on any of my more than a dozen cruises. Maybe one day soon! 

On 10/2/2020 at 4:58 PM, firefly333 said:

I don't know how it'll be in February when we cruise,  but we just had a test and it was free.  It took 2 days to get results.  

4 hours ago, deadmoney said:

What good is the testing?

The President and everyone he comes in contact with is tested every day and he still got it.

Food for thought.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason in how you or why you get infected.  My adult son is staying with us. He got it. The hubs and I did not.  I did not take any extra measures in cleaning. Just my everyday routine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Purvis1231 said:

If have never seen a pier runner on any of my more than a dozen cruises. Maybe one day soon! 

Out of our 80 plus now. We have seen several. The ship does not leave on time. They do wait, how long is the question. Do not know if the delay was called in to the ship or they just waited because the computer did not show they reboarded.