Next round of cancellations

1 hour ago, flyguyjake said:

Given what we know today that these rapid tests do not prevent outbreaks, I don't see how cruising can resume. Football teams have players testing positive, Colleges having outbreaks and now today New York shutting down all non-essential businesses in 9 zip codes. Many states are seeing big spikes and WI says hospitals are near capacity. Things are clearly not moving in the right direction. So taking temperatures and giving everyone a rapid test prior to embarkation would not prevent an outbreak.

Testing does not prevent outbreaks.  Masks, social distancing, wash hands and avoid touching face is what prevents outbreaks.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yes, I agree with your thoughts.  They will want to hold onto hope that december holiday sailings will happen.

Even if they do get to sail by then the sailings won’t be the cash cow that they ususlly are.  I’m on the Christmas Oasis cruise and I’d guess that it’s at most 20% sold and I’m being generous.  Holiday cruises are a lot of multi generational families where if one cancels, they all do.  They are also a lot of first time cruisers who have already bailed on the sailing.  Very few die hard cruisers anxious to get back on board.  I would say that Christmas and New Years will be the two weeks with the lowest occupancy of cruising resumes by then.   Me, if it goes, I will enjoy a near empty ship.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, flyguyjake said:

Given what we know today that these rapid tests do not prevent outbreaks, I don't see how cruising can resume. Football teams have players testing positive, Colleges having outbreaks and now today New York shutting down all non-essential businesses in 9 zip codes. Many states are seeing big spikes and WI says hospitals are near capacity. Things are clearly not moving in the right direction. So taking temperatures and giving everyone a rapid test prior to embarkation would not prevent an outbreak.

To correct your post from news I heard in last hr.  NY did Not shutdown 9 zip codes that are hot spots.  The Mayor said if numbers dont improve they May have no choice but to shutdown indoor dining, gyms, pools and schools.   There is another 11 zip codes that are being closely watched too as they want to keep the positivity % well under 3%.

6 hours ago, molly361 said:

I feel bad for those sailing or think they are sailing on Nov 1 cutting down to only 3 weeks notice soon

We are booked November 2nd and November 13th out of PC. We are not expecting to sail but were hoping we'd hear something definite by now. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Even if they do get to sail by then the sailings won’t be the cash cow that they ususlly are.  I’m on the Christmas Oasis cruise and I’d guess that it’s at most 20% sold and I’m being generous.  Holiday cruises are a lot of multi generational families where if one cancels, they all do.  They are also a lot of first time cruisers who have already bailed on the sailing.  Very few die hard cruisers anxious to get back on board.  I would say that Christmas and New Years will be the two weeks with the lowest occupancy of cruising resumes by then.   Me, if it goes, I will enjoy a near empty ship.  

If the border isn’t open and the ship goes, can you cancel and get a full refund or only a FCC?  Also, if you go what about the 2 week quarantine when you return?

We would love to go in January without Owen but ON provincial limitations used to state that Owen can not go to school even if he doesn’t go with us. He would have to stay with the in-laws for an extra two weeks.  If he stayed with us upon our return he would also miss 2 weeks of hockey because we have traveled internationally and are considered a risk.  I could only work from home.

To us an exotic trip might be as far as Collingwood, just to do the same thing at home. So over this. 

• Like 2

Just now, A&L_Ont said:

If the border isn’t open and the ship goes, can you cancel and get a full refund or only a FCC?  Also, if you go what about the 2 week quarantine when you return?

We would love to go in January without Owen but ON provincial limitations used to state that Owen can not go to school even if he doesn’t go with us. He would have to stay with the in-laws for an extra two weeks.  If he stayed with us upon our return he would also miss 2 weeks of hockey because we have traveled internationally and are considered a risk.  I could only work from home.

To us an exotic trip might be as far as Collingwood, just to do the same thing at home. So over this. 

Unless Royal cancels it is a FCC only.

hoping that with the increased testing they will start waiving the quarantine period if you get tested upon returning, if not that would be a dealbreaker for us.  This quarantining thing is BS, I could head to Toronto or Peel and be at a greater risk than if we drove through nonstop like we usually do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

We normally avoid holiday cruises because we would rather not cruise with numerous large family groups.  After reading your post, I will keep an eye on the holiday sailings for this year - thank you! 

8 hours ago, flyguyjake said:

I think the argument can cut two ways - if people are having all sorts of outbreaks just living their lives without having social distancing, masks, and PCR testing, then maybe there's no added danger of people having vacations in the highly controlled environment of cruises where everyone has PCR testing, is socially distanced, and are forced to wear masks properly and where there is careful surveillance and isolation protocols in place.

Edited by garywatson
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, garywatson said:

I think the argument can cut two ways - if people are having all sorts of outbreaks just living their lives without having social distancing, masks, and PCR testing, then maybe there's no added danger of people having vacations in the highly controlled environment of cruises where everyone has PCR testing, is socially distanced, and are forced to wear masks properly and where there is careful surveillance and isolation protocols in place.

There is no proof that it will work under normal conditions. The ships sailing are limited to age, nationality, and ports. Also, there is no proof, or guarantee that everyone will abide to the rules or that the cruiseline will  strictly enforce them. The past history says no.

Try it and it fails, cruising is history as they could never survive another shutdown which would be longer. Do they feel lucky?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Me, if it goes, I will enjoy a near empty ship.  

Everyone says that but when reality sets in and you are there it's a very different vib. On my first tip back to Manhattan in June the trains were empty which was great. However, when I stepped out on 7th Ave and there were no cars on the road and no crowds of people it was very eerie. Be careful what you wish for. 

NCL just cancelled all their November sailings and some through March 2021. This is the banner at the top of their web page. I'm guessing the rest of the lines will follow suit.

Due to the current global environment, we are extending the suspension of 2020 cruises to include all cruises embarking through November 2020. Additionally, we'll be suspending sailings on Norwegian Star, Norwegian Spirit, and Norwegian Dawn through March 2021.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Everyone says that but when reality sets in and you are there it's a very different vib. On my first tip back to Manhattan in June the trains were empty which was great. However, when I stepped out on 7th Ave and there were no cars on the road and no crowds of people it was very eerie. Be careful what you wish for. 

Maybe NO crowds but 2,000 passengers and about 1,000 crew members on the Anthem wouldn't exactly look like NYC during a 50's air raid.. LOL

9 minutes ago, disneykins said:

NCL just cancelled all their November sailings and some through March 2021. This is the banner at the top of their web page. I'm guessing the rest of the lines will follow suit.

Due to the current global environment, we are extending the suspension of 2020 cruises to include all cruises embarking through November 2020. Additionally, we'll be suspending sailings on Norwegian Star, Norwegian Spirit, and Norwegian Dawn through March 2021.

Come on Royal but I would prefer it thru December 15th please

• Like 1

Are any of the Florida sailing ships fully crewed right now and ready to sail with passengers?  The way I see it is, November is just 3-weeks away.  It's going to take a fair amount of time to get crew members to Florida, go through any quarantine requirements and finally get them on the ships and scheduled at their venue.  Not to mention stocking the ship with goods.  I can't see Royal Caribbean going through the enormous expense to make all of that happen if there is no guarantee from CDC that the no sail order will not be extended.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Grumpus said:

Are any of the Florida sailing ships fully crewed right now and ready to sail with passengers?  The way I see it is, November is just 3-weeks away.  It's going to take a fair amount of time to get crew members to Florida, go through any quarantine requirements and finally get them on the ships and scheduled at their venue.  Not to mention stocking the ship with goods.  I can't see Royal Caribbean going through the enormous expense to make all of that happen if there is no guarantee from CDC that the no sail order will not be extended.

And Fain just put out a video saying that the first few sailings will be non revenue and reviewed by some independent people so "assuming" a Nov 1 start that probably brings us to mid November for any revenue sailings.  Not gonna happen

2 minutes ago, molly361 said:

And Fain just put out a video saying that the first few sailings will be non revenue and reviewed by some independent people so "assuming" a Nov 1 start that probably brings us to mid November for any revenue sailings.  Not gonna happen

And that it will be 1 or 2 ships to start

• Like 1

I know I am like everyone else but I just wish they would make the call.  I am booked on the Oasis 11/8 and the Allure 11/15.  I am in Canada so it will be incredibly unlikely I can go even if the sailings go ahead, but I want the cruiseline to cancel, not me.

• Like 1