New vaccine

hollyjess

7 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Interesting. Am I correct in thinking that far fewer people had side effects from the Phizer jab? None of the folk that we know (all Phizer) had any reaction at all. Seems like quite a few are getting a reaction to the Oxford AZ one? Personally I will take any of them, but it’s interesting to see the difference. 

These are the side effects of one of the ingredients of the AZ vaccine. The Pfizer vaccine does not contain this ingredient. I would expect that some people getting the second dose of the Pfizer vaccine would have some of these symptoms as the immune system reacts having built up antibodies to the virus.

Common side effects may include:

• pain where the medicine was injected;
  • fever, chills, tiredness, general ill feeling;
  • muscle or joint pain;
  • headache, tremors;
  • nausea, vomiting, thirst, loss of appetite;
  • sneezing, stuffy nose, watery eyes; or
  • mild skin rash.
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

These are the side effects of one of the ingredients of the AZ vaccine. The Pfizer vaccine does not contain this ingredient. I would expect that some people getting the second dose of the Pfizer vaccine would have some of these symptoms as the immune system reacts having built up antibodies to the virus.

Common side effects may include:

• pain where the medicine was injected;
  • fever, chills, tiredness, general ill feeling;
  • muscle or joint pain;
  • headache, tremors;
  • nausea, vomiting, thirst, loss of appetite;
  • sneezing, stuffy nose, watery eyes; or
  • mild skin rash.

Well of course you are going to get the pain at the injection site. Sadly we have not yet developed the hypospray as they call it on star trek or a needleless injector sad to say.

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

You're spot on about availability but there has also been the issue of holding back until all cohort targets have been reached. In my vaccine hub we were instructed not to commence on our aged 65-69 age group until all possible efforts to contact un-vaccinated over 70s had been reached. Thankfully this has now been achieved and we can commence the 65+ from tommorow.

Chatting with practice nurse yesterday, she said that they will ready to vaccinate the over 65's next week, but are still waiting for a delivery of the vaccine which is being held back for some reason. 

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Well of course you are going to get the pain at the injection site. Sadly we have not yet developed the hypospray as they call it on star trek or a needleless injector sad to say.

Not necessarily, lots of people have no pain and no side effects.

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, kalos said:

Wrong ..   Try ..Could or maybe 

I have had flu jab not for the last for a couple of years but for about 10 out of the last 12 years and I felt that soar arm after the jab every time. It is stupid to even list it as a side effect they are sticking a needle into the flesh of course it is going to hurt afterwards.

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Interesting. Am I correct in thinking that far fewer people had side effects from the Phizer jab? None of the folk that we know (all Phizer) had any reaction at all. Seems like quite a few are getting a reaction to the Oxford AZ one? Personally I will take any of them, but it’s interesting to see the difference. 

My Father had the Pfizer in the county hub (we spent an hour there and I didn’t see one single BAME person, not surprising because the very very few around here are of working age) and my Mother had the AZ locally and both have been fine with no reaction at all.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Hello Arlowood. You're spot on about availability but there has also been the issue of holding back until all cohort targets have been reached. In my vaccine hub we were instructed not to commence on our aged 65-69 age group until all possible efforts to contact un-vaccinated over 70s had been reached. Thankfully this has now been achieved and we can commence the 65+ from tomorrow.

I didn't see the particular news item from last night but I know the guy to whom you are referring. His name is Martin and yes he's a Trauma Consultant at King's College Hospital in London and is also working in a vaccine centre. I'm not sure if it's a centre within Kings or not. He did a news article earlier during the week and came down very heavily on the anti-vaxxers. Let's hope his attempts to reach the concerned members of the BAME community are successful.

Best wishes

Jane.x

Hi Jane.

Many thanks for the clarification. I'm sure in the current situation, where there are several factors that impinge on the vaccine roll-out, there are bound to be hiccups along the way. Supply issues, coupled with some local variations in administration strategies, are inevitably going to give rise to differences in the national picture. Nevertheless I think we are doing a great job in our target to vaccinate the most vulnerable groups as quickly as possible.

Keep up the good work

• Like 1

Frankly, I think it’s all pretty unbelievable 

Look back 3 months and who would have foreseen a successful vaccine so early?

Look back to when Pfizer and AstraZenica were approved and who would have thought the practical rollout of the vaccination programme would have been so speedy?

I remember thinking “Yeah - maybe I’ll be sorted by June/July, if I’m lucky.”I’m already v+8 days and looking forward to March, when my initial immunity will be maximised and then v+10-12 weeks, when I’ll have completed the programme (for this year?) and have as much immunity as possible at the moment, with the current knowledge and facilities.

Fantastic!

• Like 12

I got a text off my GP hub last week for the covid  vaccine, as I want it to be local 

and same time as Mrs K  ,I was advised to not reply and the GP Practice should 

contact me soon . 

Yesterday I got a letter from my GP but not what I was expecting .

I will get a needle but this one will be taking out not putting in :classic_rolleyes:

Looks like they have got the annual blood tests up and running again .:classic_smile:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kalos said:

I got a text off my GP hub last week for the covid  vaccine, as I want it to be local 

and same time as Mrs K  ,I was advised to not reply and the GP Practice should 

contact me soon . 

Yesterday I got a letter from my GP but not what I was expecting .

I will get a needle but this one will be taking out not putting in :classic_rolleyes:

Looks like they have got the annual blood tests up and running again .:classic_smile:

Get them to put the vaccine in the same hole the blood came from, it won't hurt as much.😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

On the BBC website showing analysis of vaccine status for over 80s in Bradford. Only 46% of Pakistani heritage have had the vaccine and a shocking 23% have refused, the other 31% are undecided. Only 3% of white ethnic group have refused.

It really is bad news.  There is clear lack of trust from certain sections of the community.  It affects everyone if we can't reach a certain level of herd immunity.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Michelle had Pfizer and was quite ill for a couple of days after, but she is on so much medication, it could have been any of them that caused it or one reacting to another. 

Andy 

Sorry to hear Michelle was unwell after her vaccine  Andy.

Hopefully she is feeling a lot better now.

Graham.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Sorry to hear Michelle was unwell after her vaccine  Andy.

Hopefully she is feeling a lot better now.

Graham.

Thank you Graham. 

She is always up and down, so wouldn't expect her not to have some sort of reaction, but she is OK. 

Andy 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Thank you Graham. 

She is always up and down, so wouldn't expect her not to have some sort of reaction, but she is OK. 

Andy 

Pleased to hear Michelle is ok today. 
Look after yourselves.

Gill.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Beckett said:

Hello Everyone

A message for:

Avril - glad to hear you and Frank are both ok and not suffering side-effects from yesterday.

Graham - hope your eye continues to improve. Good decision not to go out today.

Good luck to everyone who's being jabbed today and I hope the snow doesn't prevent too many of you from attending. No snow at all in sunny North London but bitterly cold. 

Have a warm day.

Best wishes all.

Jane.x

Thank you Jane.

Graham x

37 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Thank you Graham. 

Andy 

Please let her know we are sending her lots of  love and hugs.

Graham & Pauline xx

• Like 2

Had last week off as A/L, didn't do much just a bit of decorating😒. Back this week- notified that we would be vaccinating 65+. Didn't have much vaccine over the weekend, in fact closed Saturday and Sunday had limited numbers as a problem with the booking system [ nothing to do with us, independently organised] but full steam ahead tomorrow. 950 booked in [hospital hub] 

Anecdotally , Pfizer causes more side effects [ most very minor] than AZ. Second doses seem to be more intense than the 1st. However if you have had Covid, both seem to produce a robust reaction!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

Frankly, I think it’s all pretty unbelievable 

Look back 3 months and who would have foreseen a successful vaccine so early?

Look back to when Pfizer and AstraZenica were approved and who would have thought the practical rollout of the vaccination programme would have been so speedy?

I remember thinking “Yeah - maybe I’ll be sorted by June/July, if I’m lucky.”I’m already v+8 days and looking forward to March, when my initial immunity will be maximised and then v+10-12 weeks, when I’ll have completed the programme (for this year?) and have as much immunity as possible at the moment, with the current knowledge and facilities.

Fantastic!

I agree. Quite incredible. A few months ago I was saying that we would be lucky to be jabbed by the Autumn, Summer at the earliest, and now I reckon my Wife and I could be as soon as March if the current rate is maintained. Even the cynical media are having to reluctantly admit that it’s going very well. I still think that cruises are many months away, but that’s very much secondary to our health and, in many cases, lives. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

On the BBC website showing analysis of vaccine status for over 80s in Bradford. Only 46% of Pakistani heritage have had the vaccine and a shocking 23% have refused, the other 31% are undecided. Only 3% of white ethnic group have refused.

Interesting and almost exactly the same percentages that I posted on here a few days ago from a GP in Harrow who was talking about this on Sky News. 

I read a couple of days ago a scientist commenting on ethnic groups refusing to have a Covid vaccine and stating the desease will seek these groups out and they will be decimated in time. Community leaders are trying to encourage take up but they cannot be forced, maybe when they see their numbers dwindling they will change there mind.