The Daily for Saturday Nov 28, 2020

richwmn

31 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

So sorry to hear of your Sis's diagnosis.  Oncologists are wonderful caring professionals and will do their utmost for her.  The positivity she and you will receive from this board, from people you barely know, will be succour and strength through your fight.

What a lovely way to put it!

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

@bennybearYour stockings are so good!  Very pretty!  I make stockings for my family and all 10 love and display them every year.  They are counted cross stitch.  Maybe I'll show a few photos of them as the season gears up.  

Thanks!  I bought a counted cross stitch but it looked overwhelming to me.  Will look forward to seeing yours!  

• Like 5

9 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Hflors son and daughter both ill with likely covid

7 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Roy, thank you for keeping our ever-changing lists! You might need to tweak the Care list a bit, since @Hflors

I think I was just a little bit wrong.  I think as of this morning son and daughter-in-law both still belonged on the list.  Fortunately, all can now come off.

Roy

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I think I was just a little bit wrong.  I think as of this morning son and daughter-in-law both still belonged on the list.  Fortunately, all can now come off.

Roy

See, I knew I should not have mentioned it. 😎Not sure if I would call you wrong.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Seasick Sailor, I hope you don't meet this fellow Georgetownian who posts on the Crystal forum:

15 hours ago, mrlevin said:

With all the negativity existing in the world, it was good to see people having a good time tonight.  We went to see one of our favorite bands, Shenandoah, at the Cotton Country Club in Granger.  You can tell by the crowded dance floor that people were enjoying themselves.  It was sure a "pick me up" after all scaremongering both here on CC and everywhere.

image.thumb.png.da20ad2ee69228aad55eedfa820163ba.png

Roy

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Thanks!  I bought a counted cross stitch but it looked overwhelming to me.  Will look forward to seeing yours!  

Well, how about a teaser?  This is my daughter's.  This is the only stocking I've made that included clear sequins which are sewn on and they show up as a twinkle of snow flakes on the window pane.  

image.thumb.png.dc7de1d28cd628bf8d9ad13bff40535e.png

• Like 19

Good afternoon and thanks for the update. 
I had French toast for late breakfast at a small family restaurant., then supported Small Business Saturday in Lititz. 
   also bought some pontsettias.to decorate the church as a surprise.

Hope everyone had a great day. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

My front porch.3DDF763D-C676-4727-842A-9C41BB7F5672.thumb.jpeg.a5afd031cead96f87957da81fe9b9a1e.jpeg3DDF763D-C676-4727-842A-9C41BB7F5672.thumb.jpeg.a5afd031cead96f87957da81fe9b9a1e.jpeg3DDF763D-C676-4727-842A-9C41BB7F5672.thumb.jpeg.a5afd031cead96f87957da81fe9b9a1e.jpeg3DDF763D-C676-4727-842A-9C41BB7F5672.thumb.jpeg.a5afd031cead96f87957da81fe9b9a1e.jpeg

B600EC4D-8292-4607-8604-29A77BB15C1D.jpeg

E408F39D-7D38-42EF-825D-CE4D331B261C.jpeg

615ABE0F-4D59-44E6-B851-D49A02736F54.jpeg

• Like 16

31 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Seasick Sailor, I hope you don't meet this fellow Georgetownian who posts on the Crystal forum:

Roy

I can’t like the post, Roy.  All I can say is OMG.  A prime example of what NOT to do with the virus 😢 

• Like 12

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Stuffing and gravy are also good for breakfast.

That's DH's favourite breakfast on Boxing Day, while mine is leftover cinnamon buns.  He prefers savoury, while I like sweet breakfasts.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, kazu said:

I can’t like the post, Roy.  All I can say is OMG.  A prime example of what NOT to do with the virus 😢 

23 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Wow Roy. Don't want to meet him FOR SURE! I hope he's not a neighbor!!

I hear the Crystal forum has become a bit controversial?

It's been kind of a strange place.  I don't think mr. levin posted much on the Crystal forum before the shutdown  and he's kind of symptomatic.  Crystal has been exceptionally slow with refunds and for several months probably 90% of the posts there were of the "where's my refund" variety, mostly by other than Crystal regulars, and I think many of the regulars became rather discouraged.  We had one guy who I haven't met but who lives in my area just stop posting for about 70 days because of all the negative.  I had posted one photo from our lakefront that I particularly wanted him to see, and realized that it was in the middle of his absence.  He thanked me for reposting it.

We probably have about a dozen mr levins on the forum but only one I recognized as a regular there.

Maybe I'm a sucker, but I'm pretty forgiving on the refund situation.  The  cruise lines were all faced with huge expenses taking interim care of the ships and repatriating their crews.  With no income flow where was the money to come from.  Perhaps they should have charged us more in the first place to have a reserve to handle the contingencies but is that what we really wanted?  We talk about how much we love the crews but when the cruise lines repurpose our money to get them home we get angry.  I refuse to.  My biggest loss is with Cunard but they got me home safely in an emergency with minimal out of pocket expenses.  I had a vacation loss but no real financial loss.  Same thing with Crystal.  I am only out about $300 with HAL.  Just my opinion.

Roy

• Like 16

9 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Overnight French Toast

Ingredients

Challah Bread (sliced into 12, ¾” thick)

6 eggs

1 ¼ cups Milk

¼ cup Half & Half  (to replace half & half: 1/4 tablespoon melted butter, plus enough milk to equal 1/4 cup)

¼ cup Sugar

2 tbsp Maple Syrup

1 ½ tsp Vanilla

¼ tsp Salt

Confectionary Sugar

Cinnamon & Sugar

Maple Syrup

Fresh Fruit (if desired)

1.   Arrange Challah slices in a buttered 9 x 13” baking dish

2.    In a large bowl add all ingredients

3.   Pour over bread

4.   Refrigerate, covered overnight

5.   Turn slices over once or twice to be sure they’re evenly coated with egg mixture

6.   In morning, bake in preheated oven @ 400oF for 15 minutes

7.   Turn over & bake for 20 more minutes or until golden brown

8.   Pop under broiler to brown if desired

9.   Dust with confectionery sugar

Serve with fresh fruit or maple syrup

Serves 6

I've made this and it's yummy.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Well, how about a teaser?  This is my daughter's.  This is the only stocking I've made that included clear sequins which are sewn on and they show up as a twinkle of snow flakes on the window pane.  

image.thumb.png.dc7de1d28cd628bf8d9ad13bff40535e.png

Wow!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

We talk about how much we love the crews but when the cruise lines repurpose our money to get them home we get angry.  I refuse to.  My biggest loss is with Cunard but they got me home safely in an emergency with minimal out of pocket expenses.  I had a vacation loss but no real financial loss.  Same thing with Crystal.  I am only out about $300 with HAL.  Just my opinion.

Roy

I agree for the most part Roy. When our B2B2B was cancelled in March we were only into our 1st week. HAL owed us $17,000. We were in the midst of selling our home and buying new. We saw a Viking cruise and would loved to have booked it but our money was tied up with HAL with a big question mark as to when we would sail again. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, bennybear said:

Late to the party but thanks as always Rich, Roy et al.  We had French toast with strawberries for breakfast, lol.  Psychic?  

@Hflors  I am so sorry about the pup,  but sounds like you may be far better off dealing with a more ethical breeder.    Glad your kids are ok!  

I’ve finished five stockings now!  We’re getting gorgeous sunsets!  

54114AB7-F557-46C2-B23D-AE32F3520BAB.jpeg

23EC1B4C-4B4C-43DA-919D-8E128DD0A640.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

It's been kind of a strange place.  I don't think mr. levin posted much on the Crystal forum before the shutdown  and he's kind of symptomatic.  Crystal has been exceptionally slow with refunds and for several months probably 90% of the posts there were of the "where's my refund" variety, mostly by other than Crystal regulars, and I think many of the regulars became rather discouraged.  We had one guy who I haven't met but who lives in my area just stop posting for about 70 days because of all the negative.  I had posted one photo from our lakefront that I particularly wanted him to see, and realized that it was in the middle of his absence.  He thanked me for reposting it.

We probably have about a dozen mr levins on the forum but only one I recognized as a regular there.

Maybe I'm a sucker, but I'm pretty forgiving on the refund situation.  The  cruise lines were all faced with huge expenses taking interim care of the ships and repatriating their crews.  With no income flow where was the money to come from.  Perhaps they should have charged us more in the first place to have a reserve to handle the contingencies but is that what we really wanted?  We talk about how much we love the crews but when the cruise lines repurpose our money to get them home we get angry.  I refuse to.  My biggest loss is with Cunard but they got me home safely in an emergency with minimal out of pocket expenses.  I had a vacation loss but no real financial loss.  Same thing with Crystal.  I am only out about $300 with HAL.  Just my opinion.

Roy

I agree with you for the  most part.

It does bother me that everyone is quick to take my money but very slow to refund (I am not just talking about HAL).  But I fully know how tough it is for all the travel companies.

People can complain all they want about the refunds from HAL but in comparison, my refund from HAL was received some time ago compared to other agencies.

I booked my flights long before we were flying and it was April this year.  It was just last month received my refund from Lufthansa.  Iberia’s is still in the works.

And my travel insurance is backlogged, still.

So we have to go with the times, understand and be patient even though it might grate us that they took our money so fast and are so slow to return it.  These are not normal times.

Kindness and understanding are really needed right now for all of us.

• Like 10

15 hours ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

For Roy and other Antartica fans, tonight on the History channel at 9pm, here in Eastern Time, is: "Endurance. The Hunt for Shackelton's  Ice Ship"

Just watched it. Fascinating how even with the most advanced technology of 2020, they faced some ultimately insurmountable difficulties. It makes it all the more amazing that Shackleton and his crew a) got as far as they did, and b) survived at all.

• Like 3