Multiple countries COVID-19 test required

silversurf

Due to go on a Baltic cruise next year (very unlikely), visiting multiple countries. Most of these countries at the moment require a COVID test 72 hours prior to entry. This seems to be an impossibility, but hasn’t been mentioned by any of the cruise companies.

Comments please.

The only way it would be possible is if covid test was done on the ship, however in view of there not be any real sight of cruising starting then it doesn't matter so much. We don't really know what will happen next week, too many ifs and buts to do much more than guess.

Hi....on the off chance that cruising gets under way next year I would agree with yorkshirephil....covid test would have to be done on the ship and more than once....for peace of mind testing everyone daily would be a positive thing but the practicality of doing that I would think makes it  impossible to do.

I honestly can't see cruising resuming any time soon ....possibly  until the vaccine has been rolled out 

5 hours ago, silversurf said:

Due to go on a Baltic cruise next year (very unlikely), visiting multiple countries. Most of these countries at the moment require a COVID test 72 hours prior to entry. This seems to be an impossibility, but hasn’t been mentioned by any of the cruise companies.

Comments please.

If those countries still require a CV19 test around the time of your cruise, I would assume the cruise would be cancelled.

• Like 2

I suspect that travel corridors will be re-established as rates reduce due to vaccine roll out and seasonal factors. IIRC the UK closed the corridor to counties at about 20 / 100000 cases (seems so unbelievably low now), so proof may not be required by countries. However I can see the cruise lines wanting vaccine proof and multiple testing.

I see on the news today that Spain will be introducing a register of those who have refused the COVID vaccine. Getting vaccinated remains your choice of course. The register will be secure and not available to the public or to businesses, however it will be available to other EU countries on a strictly confidential basis.

Imagine the scenario, you are a Spanish citizen going on a cruise happy in the knowledge that your COVID vaccination certificate that you bought on the internet will allow you to cruise. However immigration in Italy etc find you are on the list, no entry, for you or the ship.

With the new even more scary variants of the virus appearing this may become the new norm

As for the UK, we refuse to 'join' the scheme so we don't get to cruise anywhere in the EU 🤔

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, silversurf said:

Thanks for your opinions folks. Very interesting.

Apparently you don’t get an official vaccination certificate (as you do with yellow fever) from the NHS, so how do you prove it?

You are allowed to ask GP for online  access to medical records , it will be in there. Print it out. 

1 hour ago, silversurf said:

Apparently you don’t get an official vaccination certificate (as you do with yellow fever) from the NHS, so how do you prove it?

A few weeks ago it was said that you would be issued with a record card. Has that changed?

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

You are allowed to ask GP for online  access to medical records , it will be in there. Print it out. 

That depends on who did your vaccination.  I am unsure about English records but certainly in Scotland GP records and Health Board records are two separate things.

Boots did my flu jab a couple of weeks ago.  Had to fill out a form providing my NHS number and GP surgery details.  The person doing the jab told me that Boots would notify my GP that they had done my flu jab and the surgery would then be able to update my NHS record - which I can access online.

6 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Boots did my flu jab a couple of weeks ago.  Had to fill out a form providing my NHS number and GP surgery details.  The person doing the jab told me that Boots would notify my GP that they had done my flu jab and the surgery would then be able to update my NHS record - which I can access online.

In the UK jabees will be given an NHS Covid vaccination record card showing date given and batch number of first and second doses

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, silversurf said:

I'm sure on one of the briefings we were told that an official vaccination certificate would be issued when your one or two dose vaccination  course was completed.

Avril

Here in the US, we will get an official vaccination card that will be our record.  I plan to keep it with my yellow CDC immunization card that shows my yellow fever vaccination and all other immunizations that I have received for international travel.

With about half of our population saying they will not get the vaccine, I can foresee some sort of system wherein one will need to show proof of vaccine as a condition of employment or to attend large commercial events such as games and concerts, perhaps even indoor movies.

Darwin will take care of those who won't get the jab.

42 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I'm sure on one of the briefings we were told that an official vaccination certificate would be issued when your one or two dose vaccination  course was completed.

Avril

Last I heard that was still the case. I wonder where folks got the opposite view?.🤔

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

Last I heard that was still the case. I wonder where folks got the opposite view?.🤔

I got my opposite view from my first vaccination just under 3 weeks ago.  I asked about informing my GP and was told not to bother as they were not informing GP's of who has had the vaccine or not.  Just the same as the flu vaccine.  I used to get a slip of paper from the hospital to let my GP know but they stopped that a few years ago.     If needed I will do a Subject Access Request to my health board asking only for my vaccination record.   I could of course access my own record and print it out but given I current job in part is to investigate such incidents I don't think I will!

47 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

I got my opposite view from my first vaccination just under 3 weeks ago.  I asked about informing my GP and was told not to bother as they were not informing GP's of who has had the vaccine or not.  Just the same as the flu vaccine.  I used to get a slip of paper from the hospital to let my GP know but they stopped that a few years ago.     If needed I will do a Subject Access Request to my health board asking only for my vaccination record.   I could of course access my own record and print it out but given I current job in part is to investigate such incidents I don't think I will!

I must admit to being surprised. On the NHS England website there is an image of the record card with a warning for you to keep it safe. Has anyone who has had the Covid jab in England anything to add. ?

5 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I must admit to being surprised. On the NHS England website there is an image of the record card with a warning for you to keep it safe. Has anyone who has had the Covid jab in England anything to add. ?

Apparently looks like thisimage.png.64e292f532121c97c98bc1918037b2e3.png

We got back from the Canary Islands yesterday (should have been a Caribbean cruise). They require a test 72 hours before you arrive which we managed to do, I paid £70 each for a private test and also got one on the NHS, the NHS one came back negative after 48 hours and the private one due to posting it over a weekend was emailed to me with 18 hours to spare, also negative. I had my temperature taken on arrival in Lanzarote which was fine and now we are back I am currently self isolating.

It is possible but is also a bit nerve wracking in case you get a positive result or dont get the notification in time.

Various assumptions have been made about what may/may not be needed for travel and possibly also off the cuff comments by ministers etc., but as far as I am aware nothing has been formally decided what will happen and more to the point what will/will not be accepted as proof of vaccination, or indeed if it will become necessary to be vaccinated for any travel or holiday.  Not that it really matters at present.

What the situation will be for travel in the future is something that will be decided in the future.  I am also thinking that what may be acceptable to some countries may not be accepted by others, but only time will tell that.  Personally I think any definitive proof of vaccination for travel purposes would be chargeable, like the yellow fever certificate and the covid tests for travel at present, but I could be proved wrong.  The card which records vaccinations of certain holiday jabs etc. was only ever meant as a personal record and none of the jabs, (other than Yellow Fever), were required to enter a country, though they are recommended and insurance policies do tend to make them essential to ensure complete insurance coverage.

Edited by tring