The Daily for Wednesday Jan 20, 2021

richwmn

Hooray for the penguins on their day.  I have thoroughly enjoyed all the penguin pictures and the landscape pictures from Antartica, et. al.  This is a bucket list for me now that I have seen so many wonderful photos from there.

A bright sunny day today, but we are expecting "some" snow over the weekend.  I know we need the moisture so desperately, but the ski areas also want a good present of some significant snow!

Still waiting for a plumber to call, so might have to call someone else, although my problem isn't urgent.  I need to get several things done away from home, so can't stay around too much longer.  I should have given him my cell phone number instead of my land line.  I do have to admit that I have gotten some paperwork done that I had been procrastinating about!

Have a great day every one.

• Like 14

I am a late arrival today. I got distracted with the inauguration and projects around the house. Organizing the workshop and starting work on refinishing an old oak office desk (the top at least) that will become my computer desk. 

Here are some more pictures from the Mounts Botanical Garden. It really is an amazing place. If you have any interest in flowers/gardens, you should visit it when you are in West Palm Beach.

1371279635_DSC_0626(2).thumb.JPG.7767c6681b11d9eed8fba6dad8f45ea0.JPG

DSC_0636.thumb.JPG.8ce4290c75933b5dd6f054a60e8db71d.JPG

DSC_0657.thumb.JPG.11ca241dd17dc05ebbd58d2beaed26ab.JPG

• Like 24

Good morning. It is Thursday morning here in Australia and a lovely sunny day. We are expecting temperatures up to 39C in the next few days. Too hot for me. I love hearing about the snow from the readers who live in Canada. Penguins are beautiful, we have seen an evening parade of fairy penguins on an island close to home and they were so cute! And cheese is my favourite, every diet I have ever been on, and there have been a few, has had to include cheese. I’d rather have cheese than chocolate! Was up at 3am to watch the Inauguration, but couldn’t stay awake, so have just watched it on the morning news. Best wishes to all in the U.S. for peace, and good health.

• Like 20

Maasdam - January 2020 - Bay of Islands, New Zealand

It was only a short distance to sail from Tauranga to the Bay of Islands.  This is the port that includes Waitangi, Paihia and Russell.  I had booked an independent van tour.  Much to my surprise it was only two people....another CC member and me.  Another group had cancelled. 

One of our stops was the Hundertwasser toilets.  They were designed by an Austrian man and completed in 1999.  It is the main attraction in Kawakawa and the most photographed toilet in New Zealand according to Wikipedia. For obviouus reasons I do not have pictures of the men's room! (I can't believe I am posting pictures of a toilet)

20200119_114604.thumb.jpg.118333154a1d9b4e9d5d13b362f3395d.jpg

20200119_114627.thumb.jpg.c6e074ccbf38562aa821680b9ca88113.jpg

20200119_114526.thumb.jpg.afe4d887800969cee4f90144534b8f27.jpg

Next we visited the Kerikeri Mission Station and Te Waimate Mission. This was started by British missionaries in the earlyy 1830's.

20200119_121351.thumb.jpg.be066644cfdc115c7f7dbd0b05597ffd.jpg

This is the Stone Store here.

20200119_142506.thumb.jpg.11d5edf8c8726ac8e469fad6f5c3b87f.jpg

During this day trip we saw a lot of these flowers everyplace and I loved them.  At the time I knew I would remember their name but cannot recall it.  Does anyone else know what they are called?

20200119_144547.thumb.jpg.625aa59abb46d51ed588f87c1d572d7a.jpg

And another beautiful sunset. 

20200119_203145.thumb.jpg.d3537b9200c8d7c644631540293d3c36.jpg

My dates of posting for this cruise do not coincide exactly with this year as the date I am posting them.  Only  @erewhon and I know this  for sure.  They boarded the Maasdam in Auckland on Jan 20 after I left. So now my secret is out.

• Like 20

Hello, Red Haired Lady. Those flowers look like agapanthus, or Lily of the Nile. We have lots of the blue ones, and a few white ones in our garden. They are now considered a weed here in south eastern Australia as they are rapidly spreading into the bush and taking over from native plants. 

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, daisybertie said:

Hello, Red Haired Lady. Those flowers look like agapanthus, or Lily of the Nile. We have lots of the blue ones, and a few white ones in our garden. They are now considered a weed here in south eastern Australia as they are rapidly spreading into the bush and taking over from native plants. 

They do look like Agapanthus.
Oddly after four years of being deer resistant in my neck of the woods, three very handsome bucks devoured them in one visit. And then hit my next door neighbor’s for dessert.   We could not believe it!

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

bDSC_0346_DE28-RFACT.jpg.d79640657cb628988dcba70a8d04389e.jpg

@TiogaCruiser  I'm loving all your pictures but I have to say this one is extra spectacular!  It almost looks fake or like it should be in a movie, a Disney one at that!

Thanks! I shot it from the LP with my telephoto, and DH showed me later how to use HDR in photoshop. That clarifies and enhances the colors.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Red Haired Lady said:

One of our stops was the Hundertwasser toilets.  They were designed by an Austrian man and completed in 1999.  It is the main attraction in Kawakawa and the most photographed toilet in New Zealand according to Wikipedia. For obviouus reasons I do not have pictures of the men's room! (I can't believe I am posting pictures of a toilet)

20200119_114526.thumb.jpg.afe4d887800969cee4f90144534b8f27.jpg

LOL. 

Looks a little like Picasso went through.

In central California there’s an infamous restroom at the Madonna Inn that gets lots of visits. I know women who have gone into the men’s to have a look. (PS Not me! I’ve never been there.)

Ive added a link in case anyone wants to put it on their bucket list.

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the daily reports, photos and humour.

@Red Haired Ladythose flowers are Agapanthus, also a white variety.  As @daisybertiementioned they are now a pest.

21st January 2020 Maasdam visited the Bay of Islands,  we have been there several times before, so had  a walk around Pahia.

It's a cool wet day here.  

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 10

HI everyone,

I'm late to the party today.  Spent some time watching the inauguration and then supervising the siding project.  It moved inside today so they could do the drywall repair around the window where the wall was rotten out.  Tomorrow will be the last day.  They'll finish a small amount of siding, replace the outdoor lighting fixtures, install the gutters,  and mud the drywall.  

I will be thankful when it is done.  

IMG_0987.jpg

• Like 16

3 minutes ago, dfish said:

HI everyone,

I'm late to the party today.  Spent some time watching the inauguration and then supervising the siding project.  It moved inside today so they could do the drywall repair around the window where the wall was rotten out.  Tomorrow will be the last day.  They'll finish a small amount of siding, replace the outdoor lighting fixtures, install the gutters,  and mud the drywall.  

I will be thankful when it is done.  

IMG_0987.jpg

Looks very nice. I like the colour.

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

In central California there’s an infamous restroom at the Madonna Inn that gets lots of visits. I know women who have gone into the men’s to have a look. (PS Not me! I’ve never been there.)

I’ve been there (as has @Copper10-8 , we discussed it when it was corned beef hash day because they have the best I’ve ever had) and have to admit I’m one of the women who have visited the men’s room.  It’s a special place for my DH and I because our first of many visits was on our honeymoon in 1974. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, daisybertie said:

That's it.....now I remember.  Thanks!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

They do look like Agapanthus.
Oddly after four years of being deer resistant in my neck of the woods, three very handsome bucks devoured them in one visit. And then hit my next door neighbor’s for dessert.   We could not believe it!

Nothing is impervious here to our deer except a fence or a gun.  We opted for the former as much as we could but they still decimate plants outside that they never used to touch.

Here are a few of them about to enter my neighbours’ yard.  They are not afraid of a human or a dog.  You can literally walk up to about 6’ of them before they leave.   (I guess they are practicing social distancing)

3D301A57-D4A8-48EF-9272-905E579D4C3F.jpeg.9ee4d118574631da41833219f691fe94.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, kazu said:

Nothing is impervious here to our deer except a fence or a gun.  We opted for the former as much as we could but they still decimate plants outside that they never used to touch.

Here are a few of them about to enter my neighbours’ yard.  They are not afraid of a human or a dog.  You can literally walk up to about 6’ of them before they leave.   (I guess they are practicing social distancing)

3D301A57-D4A8-48EF-9272-905E579D4C3F.jpeg.9ee4d118574631da41833219f691fe94.jpeg

Mine do not let Bindi and I get that close.  But she is very calm around them. Yours are a bit plumper than mine. What are you feeding them?🙃

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Tritto? @dfish, very nice!

Quattro.  @dfish.  Also a pretty good day for me.  I got an email this evening "Vaccine Request Approval" and am now scheduled for Monday morning.  Not my choice of places as it's in the next county and about a half hour drive but quite do-able.  3 busy mornings coming up, Eye doctor tomorrow, dry run to the vax place Friday, and the vax itself Monday.  If I'm late to post be patient with me.

Roy

• Like 16