The Daily for Wednesday Feb 17, 2021

richwmn

today is Ash Wednesday, Random Acts of Kindness Day, and National PTA Founders Day

Facts are stubborn, but statistics are more pliable.

Meal suggestion for today - Chicken & Dumpling Casserole

Drink of the Day - Martini

Wine of the day - Silverado Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Grown - California - Red

at Sea Pacific
Koningsdam
Nieuw Amsterdam destination Long Beach eta 2/17
Noordam destination La Paz MX eta 2/20
Westerdam destination San Diego eta 2/17

La Paz MX Anchorage
Zuiderdam

Great Stirrup Cay Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam

Portland UK
Volendam

Torquay
Eurodam
Oosterdam
Zaandam

0217world.thumb.png.0355189f6e89fdb1376ae879ed850f5b.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 7

Thank you for the Ash Wednesday Daily, Rich.  Cheers for both PTA's and Random Acts of Kindness.  The quote is so true; I'll pass on the Chicken Dumplings.  My alternative is Chilled Mixed Berry Soup, Orange and Avacado Carousel, Rotisserie Half Chicken with Louisiana-Style Rice, and Brioche Toast with Caramelized Apricots as served on MS Zaandam February 17, 2012.

Today's care list:

NextOne DH awaiting ankle reconstruction

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

myself facing cardiac surgery

RIP D. Roger Ferguson

Seasick Sailor’s friends

Those losing power

superoma recovering from lumpectomy

HAL (and other crews)

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Me home temporarily

Sharon seeing her mother

Debbie’s sister visiting

Lent

Vaccinators

This community

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Ash Wednesday - first day of Lent.  Hope those that partake have a blessed one.  Acts of Kindness and PTA certainly deserve to be celebrated.

Love that quote - it is so true.  Statistics certainly have been plied in their time.  The meal suggestion sounds good but I think we are going to try the skiers skillet tonight with some additions 😉 

I’ll wait until I am on a ship for a good martini - I hope it isn’t a long wait 🤞 I keep reminding myself:

C873D942-BE7C-4211-807E-193812203E62.thumb.jpeg.bcda5e64c74347b8faf15f72a4f16b4e.jpeg

So many people south of the border still without power.  I hope it can be restored quickly for them.  

Punxsutawney Phil said:

433875ED-64A8-4333-925D-092B12C06BBF.thumb.jpeg.1c943cb3047f96786c28267304afbffd.jpeg

My reply to him:

3FB99892-2F85-4E40-B0D8-ED4DC72D7970.jpeg.859ccec376dd371d96930c13af5f48cc.jpeg

There’s been lots of pics of penguins so I thought I would add one of my favourites.  An oldie but a goodie:

C3BD444E-83F0-4CD4-81CE-DD748EC22058.thumb.jpeg.a4833ff742447c7e2f89eac5eaa391ef.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and a toast to those on his Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Wednesday, everyone.  Good luck to those digging out whether it be shovelling or ice.  Stay warm and safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 30

Good morning!  

It looks like my driveway shoveler was a day early for Random Acts of Kindness Day.   No worry, I still am thrilled about it.  And every day can and should be Random Acts of Kindness Day.   Imagine the world if we were all kinder to one another, especially strangers.  

Today, my sister is meeting with a financial guy about her retirement.  The dental practice where she works is being sold, so the selling dentist is closing out all the retirement accounts.   She has to do something with it.  Then, we are braving the world and heading up to one of our favorite stores.  The last time I was there in June, I was the only person in the store.  Mid week during the day seems to be ok.  I don't go to stores on the weekend.

Today's meal reminds me of the chicken and dumplings my mom used to make.  I wasn't a huge fan, but the rest of the family enjoyed it.  

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/chicken-dumpling-casserole/

Chicken-Dumpling-Casserole_EXPS_OPBZ18_1213_E06_05_7b-2.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Thank you Rich and Roy for your lists.  Debbie that recipe is just YUM!  Happy Ash Wednesday, I always try to do an act of kindness, even if it's just waving and smiling at cars that go by.  The PTA was an important part of our school.  Prayers for the lists.  They both need them.  DD and DGS were exposed to covid.  DGS tested negative, he's 3, and DD is still waiting for results.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Martini:

Ingredients: 1/2 oz (1 part) Dry vermouth, 3 oz (6 parts) Gin
Preparation: Straight: Pour all ingredients into mixing glass with ice cubes. Stir well. Strain in chilled martini cocktail glass. Squeeze oil from lemon peel onto the drink, or garnish with olive.
Served: Straight (or on the rocks)
Standard garnish: Lemon twist, Olive

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 7.48.44 AM.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! A wonderful combination of days, though it is always a great day to practice & celebrate random acts of kindness. 

Roy, thank you for keeping the lists. Hope you are doing well. I also hope the surgeon has a straightforward plan to offer you tomorrow. One that gets you back on track quickly. Good morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Great quote & meal. I only do vodka martinis, so I will be skipping Summer’s version.

Another murky morning here. Going to dinner to celebrate some birthdays - postponed from last year.  More and more restaurants finally have figured out how to stay in business by offering a variety of socially distanced seating options as well as takeout & delivery. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. Stay well everyone!

This Napa Cab has excellent ratings and a decent price. A good number of online distributors with prices starting at $37.99.  The reviews are for the 2016 vintage, but all released vintages have excellent ratings. I have enjoyed a very good Sauvignon Blanc from this vintner for a decent price - for you white wine fans.

Winemaker Notes

The 2016 Silverado Cabernet Sauvignon opens with aromas of blackberry crisp and flavors of cherry, clove and a hint of dark chocolate. Full-bodied and smooth with a lingering finish.

JS93 James Suckling: Attractive cassis here with a wealth of plush and nicely ripe blackberry and red-plum aromas and flavors. The palate has fine, firm tannins that carry long and fresh. Drink or hold.

WE92 Wine Enthusiast:  Soft in texture and accented in smoky, toasted oak, this estate wine blends in 13% Merlot and 3% each of Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot. It offers lush layers of tangy black fruit, clove, sage and a touch of warmth.
  • Like 22

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Three good reasons to celebrate the middle of the week - I took part in our DS's PTA for a while, and we have practiced random acts of kindness for a number of years, even before it became a "thing".

Another cold day on the "frozen tundra", but at least it's warming up a bit - right now we only have a wind chill of -33C.  The one thing we don't have to contend with are the storms that are plaguing a lot of North America right now.  We feel terrible for those who aren't prepared for nature's wrath, especially those who have lost their lives to it.  

Menu suggestion - well, I'll take the chicken casserole, but really I can't do dumplings; they make me gag.  I know, TMI, but they really do.  LOL  If I had a choice, I'd go with Roy's alternate suggestion - chicken without the, you know.  We had a great dinner last night and DH has suggested we have the leftovers for breakfast, which will be fine (pancakes, bacon, whipped cream and saskatoon berries).  Because it's Ash Wednesday, I think I'll burn something for dinner tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers and hugs for Roy.  Be safe, stay well, keep warm, wash your hands and wear your mask(s).

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 24

Good morning everyone. Another sleepless night trying to get DH an appointment because someone told him CVS opens up every night at midnight. Not true. Not at midnight, or 1am or 4 am, etc. 

I love random acts of kindness. It reminds me of my father who has been gone since 1973. Sometimes he would pay the toll for a person in a car who was behind him who he didn’t even know. He also used to call ahead and pay for our restaurant meals. 

We’re  expecting another snow storm tomorrow .The ice storm came and went and it was warm yesterday, so some of the snow melted. The rest is turning brown and ugly. 

I would try the chicken and dumpling recipe , but not tonight. Last night I started watching Mad About You from season 1, episode 1. It’s very funny and they often mention my home town, New Rochelle, New York.

Prayers for everyone who needs them. Stay safe and double mask.

Carol

• Like 22

Good Morning everyone and thank you for the updates and the laughs.  

I hope everyone, who wants one, can get their vaccine quickly and without too much stress.  Our 2nd was postponed because of the inclement weather.   After hearing others' weather woes I think we can soldier on.  

Comfort and hope to those in pain, kudos to those who have recovered and to those who made the recovery possible

Today is potato/ham/corn chowder

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 18

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

Yes to Random acts of Kindness (daily) and PTAs.

I've never made chicken and dumplings; one day.

Another snow storm tomorrow night into Friday. I won't complain as I have power and heat; I so feel for those in Texas who are without power or water.

@summer slope Hoping for good results for DD.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe, stay warm, social distance and wear your mask(s).

• Like 16

Good morning.  Today our dinner will be very close to the meal suggestion.  I’d already planned on making chicken and dumplings, southern style with rolled dumplings.

The quote is so true.  I had a professor tell our class that statics can be skewed which ever way you want.

@rafinmd  Just wanted to say I hope everything goes well with your appointment tomorrow.  I may not have time to post tomorrow before you go see the doctor, since we will be driving to Phoenix to get our second Pfizer shots.

@summer slope Hope your DD’s test is also negative.

@kazu As always, thanks for the 

Just got a text from our oldest DD and SIL, they now have power, but no hot water.  The other DD and SO still have power.  It is supposed to get above freezing in Austin this afternoon, then dip into the upper 20s tonight.  

Lenda

• Like 16

We are having a warming trend! We saw double digits (positive instead of negative) yesterday. By Sunday or Monday, we might get above freezing...

Chef salad with the leftover steak from Valentine's day is on the menu for tonight. Since I have leftover roasted chicken from Monday, I might give the chicken and dumplings a try, or maybe a pot pie...

Here are some random shots of Ketchikan, Alaska from 2004 (Celebrity Mercury) -

343658063_DSC02236(2).thumb.JPG.1ca1f96d012c17e1e7c7259c4de2d71d.JPG

685906546_DSC02240(2).thumb.JPG.ba59296b03155c8d9879dd3ad47e7ab6.JPG

1129049889_DSC02239(2).thumb.JPG.8719ae4543faef58d5f98c7dcdf3e8b1.JPG

1634552043_DSC02244(2).thumb.JPG.db86495e15c4d5d5661c2d991f4dd481.JPG

DSC02256.thumb.JPG.88b9d1c217cb46255b735a49f3c35868.JPG

DSC02269.thumb.JPG.85d3bba0b466e1cfc923c778b5485413.JPG

• Like 23

Good morning all!

@richwmnlove the photo of your kitty.  Our last cat loved to lie in the sink too, because one of the heater vents was right under it. 😉  

@summer slopeprayers for a negative test for your DD.

@ger_77I have to agree about dumplings....I have a vivid memory (I must have been about 7) of having dinner at a friend's house and excusing myself from the table...and flushing those dumplings down the toilet. 😲  Looking back as an adult, I'm sure I wasn't as sneaky and clever as I thought. 😉 

We're having a very welcome dry day today, and expected highs in the mid 40's F.  

Have a great day everyone, prayers for all dealing with winter storms and messes.

• Like 15