The Daily for Wednesday Feb 17, 2021

richwmn

Good Morning and Thank You for the Daily.😊 

No more pain in the arm that was vaccinated on Monday (yeah!). My best advice is to swing that arm like you're a pitcher on a baseball team and drink lots of water after getting the vaccine. More and more sites are opening in California.✏️

🙏 Prayers to all who are in need!

fasting.jpg

• Like 22

The sun was out today when I started my early morning walk..... and the sky was a bright blue. Still cold.... 9F, but the dogs and I were happy.  The air felt crisp and clean.

Am watching some of your summer plans....looks like the Southwest may see a bit of tourism this summer. I am thinking about revisits to some place I have not been for a few years. I love Durango, but maybe a change of scene would do me some good.

Best wishes to all who have medical appointments (vax and otherwise). We need to stay healthy so that when cruising opens up.... we can be on board.

Susan

• Like 17

I was also on Celebrity Mercury in 2004, but do not have photos to share. The Mercury was a really nice, spacious ship perfect for viewing the Inside Passage. I had a float plane trip in Ketchikan which was really fun. All in all, I prefer HAL to Celebrity, though Celebrity did have some good points. The friendliness of HAL’s crew is really special. 

• Like 15

A really quick note. The plumbers showed 8:30 last night. $300 later, still no water. They said the whole attic area is frozen tight and we have to wait for it to thaw "plain and simple". I asked if they could put a heater up in the crawlspace. Nope.

Electric came on at 10 this morning so I'm baking corn bread and cooking field peas before electric goes off again. Now down to boiling ice cubes for drinking water. 

We are blessed to have a beautiful roof over our heads! 

We are calling this "Senior camping"!

Have a great day and be thankful!!

Joy

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Seasick Sailor said:

A really quick note. The plumbers showed 8:30 last night. $300 later, still no water. They said the whole attic area is frozen tight and we have to wait for it to thaw "plain and simple". I asked if they could put a heater up in the crawlspace. Nope.

Electric came on at 10 this morning so I'm baking corn bread and cooking field peas before electric goes off again. Now down to boiling ice cubes for drinking water. 

Joy

On no.  I just hope it doesn't spring a leak once it thaws.

Roy

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

OMG 😱. Fingers crossed for you that all goes well.

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

whole attic area is frozen tight and we have to wait for it to thaw "plain and simple".

Do you have any electric blankets you could put over the pipes?  And right, have that plumbing key handy

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 10

6 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Do you have any electric blankets you could put over the pipes?  And right, have that plumbing key handy

If you don't have water it is best now to  shut off your water at the meter.  Then you won't flood when the thaw occurs.  If you can't do it call your city and see if they can send someone out.   Once you turn off the water, open all of your indoor taps so the water drains when it is turned back on

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 14

Good morning, all! Random Act of Kindness Day sound wonderful, and should come more often. Chicken and dumpling casserole sounds good, but we have pork loin chops thawed for tonight. The storm passed us by, and we are back to the perpetual chilly and damp we are used to. Prayers to all of you who are being bludgeoned with the brutal winter weather so unusual for where you live. Joy, I hope your water comes back without any burst pipes. You’ve dealt with enough already.

Well, the week is already half through, so Happy Wednesday from our beloved Amsterdam!

4F277A49-174B-43E6-B6A3-DE0834C3FE17.jpeg

• Like 19

@SeaSickSailor OH NO!  Saying a special prayer that the thawing is successful and slow!  (Can't imagine that there isn't enough insulation to protect pipes).  @rafinmd, hope that everything goes well and that surgeon can give you definite info at your appointment tomorrow.  @durangoscotsyou could always come to the Grand Valley to get away from your corner of the state!  Come see me.

I will be attending Mass today at noon for Ash Wednesday, and then going to store to find some sort of fish for dinner.  I am not fond of "fish" but since I have a shellfish allergy, I am limited somewhat.  Oh well!

Thanks to all who make this such a special place.  Rich, Roy, drink/wine ladies, and recipes!  I feel that I can come here everyday to learn something new!  Or I will put another destination on my bucket list (Antartica, Easter Island, etc.)

Have a doctor appointment this late afternoon (routine), so will have to go into "big town" twice today.

Have a great dat, everyone.

Edited by cruzn single
  • Like 16

19 minutes ago, cruzn single said:

Can't imagine that there isn't enough insulation to protect pipes).

Texas and southern States don’t normally get the freezing weather we do so most don’t insulate their pipes.

Even with insulated pipes, they can freeze up here with loss of power and a deep cold.  Not as frequent of course, but it does happen.  Ours have a very heavy insulation on them to try to protect them in case of power outages or heat loss on our really cold days. But, we live up North where freezing weather is sadly common.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all, I'm thinking of Roy and his appointment tomorrow, and @Seasick Sailor with hopefully defrosting pipes.  We had a frozen pipe burst once, fortunately out in the garden, and after the thaw, I went out to find Old Faithful geyser spouting upwards in the middle of the front lawn - you don't want something like that happening in the attic!

HAL cancelled our April cruise on January 6, and today we got our money back and all our FCDs and FCCs.  Pretty good timing....  

• Like 18

52 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Joy

Holy cow, Joy! Glad you found some humor in this. Stay well. 

• Like 8

Oh my , be careful with those pipes.  A lot of good advice here on how to take care of them.  You certainly don't want a leak after all of this.

Hope your appointment goes well, Roy.  Thank you rich for all the news.

Snow on the ground at our house in Vancouver, WA.  But roads are clear.  Sideroads were a bit tricky maneuvering this morning picking up the grandkids.  Online is going well...they have missed us..or at least the hot apple cider and snacks we provide!!

Stay well, warm and safe.  Praying for all..especially for those that need power back on in this bitter cold weather.  

• Like 12

As someone has already said.....Open every faucet to take the pressure off the pipes when they begin to thaw. I hate overhead pipes, but there are lots of them....sometimes can't avoid them.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I am so happy to be here right now!

That is funny.  I grew up in the Deep South - New Orleans and all I dreamed about as a young child was seeing snow.  My neighbors are all shaking their heads and coming to check on the "old lady" who is out there shoveling snow.  Shoveling snow is the adult version of building snowmen!

• Like 12
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

That is funny.  I grew up in the Deep South - New Orleans and all I dreamed about as a young child was seeing snow.  My neighbors are all shaking their heads and coming to check on the "old lady" who is out there shoveling snow.  Shoveling snow is the adult version of building snowmen!

And I had the exact opposite childhood.  🥶 Midwest snowstorms, ice and very, very cold temperatures, so the lack of snow is a positive now.  When we lived in Michigan in the 70's the snow piled up along the driveway from shoveling was over my head.  No thanks!

Edited to say, perhaps it would be more accurate to say more than 73% of the United States' lower 48 is covered by snow.  That's a lot of acreage!  

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 13

I am another one that will skip anything with dumplings.  I had never heard of a skier's skillet so I googled it and that sounds very good. I may buy some apples and try that. The recipe doesn't sound to complicated for this not very good cook.

All of these winter blizzards and snow almost makes me feel guilty for living in central Arizona. My son who loves in Tulsa said it was -14 when he got off work a couple of days ago. I am praying for all of you , please try your best to stay safe and stay warm.

Edited by lazey1
  • Like 14

Growing up in west Texas, we would get one or two decent snows (not northern decent snows) a year, and that was enough for us to play in the snow, and get it out of our system.  🌨️ 😀   Then, off and on between 1969 and 1985, we lived in New Jersey, Delaware, and Pennsylvania, where we'd get our share of snow, and the DDs could play in the snow.  Now, I enjoy seeing pictures of the snow.

@kazu My apologies for not finishing my sentence this morning.  that was when I got the text from DD.  So again, thanks for the laughs.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, all the advice is sound.  Broken pipes, especially in the attic are be a real mess and cause a lot of damage.  We've seen houses where water was running out of the house because of broken pipes. At the least, turn on the cold water taps to relieve the pressure when the pipes begin to thaw.

Lenda

• Like 11

8 hours ago, richwmn said:

Wine of the day - Silverado Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Grown - California - Red

6 hours ago, cat shepard said:

This Napa Cab has excellent ratings and a decent price. A good number of online distributors with prices starting at $37.99.  The reviews are for the 2016 vintage, but all released vintages have excellent ratings. I have enjoyed a very good Sauvignon Blanc from this vintner for a decent price - for you white wine fans.

Winemaker Notes

The 2016 Silverado Cabernet Sauvignon opens with aromas of blackberry crisp and flavors of cherry, clove and a hint of dark chocolate. Full-bodied and smooth with a lingering finish.

JS93 James Suckling: Attractive cassis here with a wealth of plush and nicely ripe blackberry and red-plum aromas and flavors. The palate has fine, firm tannins that carry long and fresh. Drink or hold.

WE92 Wine Enthusiast:  Soft in texture and accented in smoky, toasted oak, this estate wine blends in 13% Merlot and 3% each of Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot. It offers lush layers of tangy black fruit, clove, sage and a touch of warmth.

Coincidentally, I received a solicitation in my inbox for another Silverado wine.  It included this tidbit that I thought was interesting.

The land on which Silverado Vineyards sits is steeped in celebrity, but the wine made there is the real star of the show. The site was once owned by Harry See, of the legendary See’s Candy, before it was purchased by Ron Miller and his wife Diane Disney Miller (yes, as in that Disney—Walt was her father!) 40 years ago. The Millers fell in love with the incredible Stags Leap District terroir that they coaxed out in their estate-grown wines to show the remarkable potential of California wines.

See's Candy is Mrs. XBGuy's absolute favorite chocolate--forget Godiva, forget Ghirardelli.  I know that I can always score maximum husband points with a box of See's Milk Chocolate Covered Chocolate Butter Creams.

Back on the wine topic, it is interesting that @cat shepard's scoring information is from the 2016 vintage.  2016 was an outstanding vintage year in Napa Valley.  If anybody can snag a 2016 Silverado, do not hesitate.  It will be excellent.  However, there are fewer and fewer 2016s available, these days.  2017 was considered to be a "difficult" vintage but many makers produced excellent wines.  It is likely that 2017 wines will benefit long-term storage.  The 2018 Napa Valley vintage, however, was another very good one.  Have no hesitation about grabbing one (or more) of those.  2019s are just now being released.  I plan on grabbing selected selected Napa Valley bottlings.  The fires in 2020 wreaked serious damage to both grapes still on the vine, and recently harvested grapes.  So, availability of 2020 wines will be reduced.  You can interpret that as also being more expensive.  I read a report from one owner/winemaker that his winery's production of 2020s is reduced by 80%.  That is a staggering hit.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, richwmn said:

20210216_211045.thumb.jpg.88df3ccfe6b782eaf9c7c28e73958060.jpg

Wow!  I've never EVER seen a blue-eyed domestic shorthair tabby.  I've had registered Siamese all of my life and was under the impression that they are the only naturally-occurring blue-eyed cats. Anyway, she/he is a beauty (forgot the names of your cats)!

• Like 13