P&O vaccine update - both jabs required

Stu UK

I feel sorry for those who have children or grandchildren that they would like to take on a cruise but on the other hand I would not be comfortable going on a ship with unvaccinated people whether they are adults or children, passengers or crew.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Riddoch said:

There is no (published) UK government policy or they would have been very clear to reference it.
By all questions referring to the “policy” it makes the page easier to update as they only have to make any updates in one place and the rest of the page stays the same.

I was referring to this. Perhaps "policy" was the wrong word.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/coronavirus-vaccine/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7-PstPm27wIVtGDmCh2kvACaEAAYASAAEgK7g_D_BwE

I do share some of the concerns expressed here but if the chance to get on a ship in August and sail away, especially the 7 night Scottish islands ones on Iona, then count me in. The fact the only two ships being used are the biggest may test the resolve of those who vow never to step anywhere near such monstrosities. 😏😉

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The actual wording states the following, and I take the term "requirements" to mean UK government policy, despite what Ludlow says. 

"There is no age restriction on this series of UK coastal cruises but all guests of all ages must meet the requirements of the Covid-19 vaccination policy."

#Catch22

• Like 1

Unsurprisingly, they have made a hash of the communications:

1) School holidays, family friendly ships: no children.🤦

2) You have to be double jabbed and prove it: but not us of course.🤦

3) We recognise that you may be medically exempt from vaccination: fine, but you aren't travelling.🤦

4) We will sail where the sun shines for a full week: in Scotland 🤦

5) We welcome you on board: but not if you are under 50 and don't know if you have 13 weeks left to be double vaccinated before you book 🤦

6) Thank you for your loyalty: all cruises go on general sale from 8.30am on the 22nd March 🤦

7) We recognise that many of our traditional passengers appreciate the intimacy of our smaller ships: for this reason your choices are Britannia or Iona🤦

8) Come try our balconies for £150pppn minimum: or travel on other itineraries under the Carnival umbrella for cheaper 🤦

9) Welcome to Liverpool: today's excursion is Anfield only 🤦

10) Our coastal cruises around UK waters: all require a passport (and there's a backlog)🤦

However, my favourite -- You need evidence of being vaccinated: but we won't tell you what it is before you book, whether you have to pay for the evidence, and just in case anyone does get the virus, then rest assured, you will be quarantined and repatriated via your own travel insurance 🤦

I could go on...

Does anyone feel that these are good value for money cruises?  Being fair, I can possibly see that the actual maiden on Iona is, but not the rest.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

Does anyone feel that these are good value for money cruises?  Being fair, I can possibly see that the actual maiden on Iona is, but not the rest.

Never been on a maiden cruise so obviously can't comment on whether they are significantly over and above the usual fare apart from  bragging rights.

I can't help but feeling that unfortunately this maiden cruise is going to be a bit of a damp squib.  Apart from the bragging rights, the only other attractive thing may be the reduced number of passengers on board.  I would rather pay the £779 for a later cruise - or potentially less if the cruises don't sell well.  Only time will tell.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Never been on a maiden cruise so obviously can't comment on whether they are significantly over and above the usual fare apart from  bragging rights.

I can't help but feeling that unfortunately this maiden cruise is going to be a bit of a damp squib.  Apart from the bragging rights, the only other attractive thing may be the reduced number of passengers on board.  I would rather pay the £779 for a later cruise - or potentially less if the cruises don't sell well.  Only time will tell.

I know what you mean.

I was thinking that they might chuck in a celebratory Wedgwood teapot or something like they used to do, got to be worth £20 or so...maybe now it will be Iona themed facemasks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, upwarduk said:

https://www.pocruises.com/ultimate-escape?cid=11aa:12bl:13af:14:15ag:16staycationteaser2:17staycationteaser2video&utm_content=sf243984445&utm_medium=spredfast&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=P&O Cruises&sf243984445=1&fbclid=IwAR06Y7y65ZWq5Vf0KUkqzL9dHzvDd3y0K-Udxj8htUcY6SJbVosSGgGNjwE&otprrf=http_m.facebook.com

Interesting to read that. you have to provide proof, so at the moment it has to be the card you were issued with when the vaccine was administered, as GOV.UK hasn’t yet decided on the vaccination passport.

Also that you MAY have to have a negative COVID-19 test, but that will be done at P&Os expense.

No cards issued here in Scotland.  I have nothing at all to prove I have had the vaccine.  It will be on my medical records that is all 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fragilek said:

No cards issued here in Scotland.  I have nothing at all to prove I have had the vaccine.  It will be on my medical records that is all 

I would guess that P&O are hoping that some sort of electronic record (dare I say the words vaccine passport), will be in place by the time they sail. 

• Like 1

I was just pointing this out - I have no intension of being on any ship until at least the end of 2022 

2 hours ago, upwarduk said:

https://www.pocruises.com/ultimate-escape?cid=11aa:12bl:13af:14:15ag:16staycationteaser2:17staycationteaser2video&utm_content=sf243984445&utm_medium=spredfast&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=P&O Cruises&sf243984445=1&fbclid=IwAR06Y7y65ZWq5Vf0KUkqzL9dHzvDd3y0K-Udxj8htUcY6SJbVosSGgGNjwE&otprrf=http_m.facebook.com

Interesting to read that. you have to provide proof, so at the moment it has to be the card you were issued with when the vaccine was administered, as GOV.UK hasn’t yet decided on the vaccination passport.

Also that you MAY have to have a negative COVID-19 test, but that will be done at P&Os expense.

Please do not refer to those of us who are hoping to be able to book these scenic cruises as being insensible.

I enjoy sea days, am used to the mask restrictions having worn one most days for a year, so not phased by this,  I know the cruise won’t be the same as my previous cruise experience. 

I am happy to put my trust in P&O, under the Carnival UK umbrella to do their best to make this a safe and enjoyable experience. 
your choice is different I respect that.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

The actual wording states the following, and I take the term "requirements" to mean UK government policy, despite what Ludlow says. 

"There is no age restriction on this series of UK coastal cruises but all guests of all ages must meet the requirements of the Covid-19 vaccination policy."

If true and the govt don't amend it before the cruises, then I would agree that children will meet the Covid vaccination policy, as indeed would anyone with a legitimate health exclusion.

6 minutes ago, fragilek said:

Had my first jab on Saturday.  Didn't get a card either - the surgery had run out of cards and were issuing black & white photocopies of the details side of the card.  The Ole Lady had her jab a week before and got a proper card.

23 minutes ago, Bedruthen said:

Correct. And that’s why we won’t be cruising anytime soon.

Although how is that different to going to a hotel or restaurant where the staff may not have been vaccinated ?

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Windsurfboy said:

If they must follow UK vaccination policy , "all adults over 18 but children do not need to be vaccinated ".  Then vaccinated grandparents can take children on a cruise, but unvaccinated parents  can't come.

Which at least has some logic behind it, even if the parents may not be happy!

42 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

Please do not refer to those of us who are hoping to be able to book these scenic cruises as being insensible.

I enjoy sea days, am used to the mask restrictions having worn one most days for a year, so not phased by this,  I know the cruise won’t be the same as my previous cruise experience. 

I am happy to put my trust in P&O, under the Carnival UK umbrella to do their best to make this a safe and enjoyable experience. 
your choice is different I respect that.

I'm still hoping for a nice med cruise from Athens, but will book one of these in a heartbeat, but not just yet 

3 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Just read this on BBC news page. Like thornegirl(#2) won’t be cruising. Although we will be vaccinated our grandchildren won’t be.

I am not surprised with their decision really 
Michelle

There has to something wrong here, as children aren't being vaccinated, so that set me thinking. I'm trying to be as tactful as possible here without causing offense, but could it be that they would prefer to start the first trial cruises with adults only, as children can unknowingly carry the virus. If they were to ban certain ages outright there would be an uproar, so stating 'vaccinated passengers only' would cover them. Just my thoughts.

Avril

• Like 9

55 minutes ago, Britboys said:

You'll wake each morning with a new view beyond your balcony of a different bit of (likely very grey) sea and a distant coastline that you can spend hours debating over what bit of land you are seeing...😄

When I look out of my cabin window in the English channel I expect to see herds of wilderbeest sweeping across the plain, or the Sydney opera house.🤣

• Haha 5