Cruise lines requiring COVID-19 vaccination

In addition to covid and flu jabs in the last month, couple of months ago had zoster jab for shingles as shingles nearly killed me 40 years ago. The injection site really hurt for a week, more than AZ and Flu. Depends if they get close to or hit the nerves.

15 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

What I'd like to see is every time a new blood clot case is announced they also announce  the number of non-vaccine related blood clot cases that week, and possibly YTD totals on both. That might put it into some sort of perspective.

BTW the average is about 570 cases per week or 30,000 cases a year.

Perhaps, instead of stating that the vaccine has about a one in a million chance of causing a blood clot, they should market the vaccine as cutting the blood clot risk versus Covid by 8 to 10 times. 
Oxford Study Shows Covid Causes 8-10 Times More Blood Clots Than Vaccine

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MamaFej said:

Perhaps, instead of stating that the vaccine has about a one in a million chance of causing a blood clot, they should market the vaccine as cutting the blood clot risk versus Covid by 8 to 10 times. 
Oxford Study Shows Covid Causes 8-10 Times More Blood Clots Than Vaccine

One small, interesting point in that article is that blood clots also happen with mRNA vaccines - one case was Pfizer, the other was unspecified. Yet we never hear about those. I wonder why?

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

One small, interesting point in that article is that blood clots also happen with mRNA vaccines - one case was Pfizer, the other was unspecified. Yet we never hear about those. I wonder why?

Interesting, but I don't think article has peer review yet. 

38 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Interesting, but I don't think article has peer review yet. 

True. It wasn't making a big thing about it just comparing mRNA stats and AZ and J&J stats to Covid stats. It differentiated between the two types of vaccine. 

Just now, OzKiwiJJ said:

True. It wasn't making a big thing about it just comparing mRNA stats and AZ and J&J stats to Covid stats. It differentiated between the two types of vaccine. 

Agree.  I thought it was an interesting article.  

On 4/15/2021 at 11:04 AM, Blackduck59 said:

Best not post erroneous information a "facts"; at this point in time I have heard of no "research" to suggest an efficacy of 6 months for the vaccine. 

You missed my point - which was the vaccine does not last very long regardless of if it's 2,4 or 6 months. The Australian dept of health actually said about 6 months for the Astra Zeneca vaccine, so not something likely you would have heard in Canada as you would be hearing from your own health dept not ours & secondly in April, Pfizer did announce on their website in the news section that they have seen 91.3% vaccine efficacy so far up to 6 months after the 2nd shot.

2 hours ago, avalon007 said:

You missed my point - which was the vaccine does not last very long regardless of if it's 2,4 or 6 months. The Australian dept of health actually said about 6 months for the Astra Zeneca vaccine, so not something likely you would have heard in Canada as you would be hearing from your own health dept not ours & secondly in April, Pfizer did announce on their website in the news section that they have seen 91.3% vaccine efficacy so far up to 6 months after the 2nd shot.

It is not known how long the vaccines will be effective for. Research is still ongoing  - Covid Vaccines

Leigh

• Like 2

11 hours ago, possum52 said:

It is not known how long the vaccines will be effective for. Research is still ongoing  - Covid Vaccines

Leigh

COVID vaccines haven't been around long enough for there to be a definite answer to the question on how long they will be effective for. The experts say "at least six months".

• Like 3

On 5/6/2021 at 10:01 AM, OzKiwiJJ said:

It's interesting to hear how the side effects differ from person to person.

A group of my friends where talking about the differences in their reactions to the Covid shot. A theory was if you didn't usually have flu shot or take medication, they seemed to get the high temperature and feel off for a few days. Ones like me how always gets flu shot, am immune suppressed and on several drugs, only reaction was the sore arm. Only a theory of some late middle aged women. 

12 minutes ago, kate59 said:

A group of my friends where talking about the differences in their reactions to the Covid shot. A theory was if you didn't usually have flu shot or take medication, they seemed to get the high temperature and feel off for a few days. Ones like me how always gets flu shot, am immune suppressed and on several drugs, only reaction was the sore arm. Only a theory of some late middle aged women. 

I must be the exception to that theory. I have had flu shots for years (but didn't have this year's until after my Covid shot) and I take various types of medication. I had a very sore arm for four nights that turned into a tender lump which has taken weeks to go away, I had lethargy and a headache for two days and chills for a few hours.

17 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I got my flu shot today and the only thing I have to show for it is a band aid spot on my upper arm. My normal reaction to flu shot is no reaction.

A few days after having my flu shot I had a few hours of that "I think I'm coming down with something" feeling but it didn't last. That's a normal reaction for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kate59 said:

I have been getting the flu shot since 1988. I take medication for high blood pressure and asthma. Contrary to the theory expressed, I had an elevated temp and felt 'off' for a couple of days. 

26 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I have been getting the flu shot since 1988. I take medication for high blood pressure and asthma. Contrary to the theory expressed, I had an elevated temp and felt 'off' for a couple of days. 

Yes only a theory based on those chatting. Hope you are now feeling better.

My husband and I must be exceptions as well. We have been having flu vaccinations for many years. We had our first AstraZeneca on April 6th and for 24-48 hours had chills, headaches, runny nose. Two weeks later we had our flu vaccination with very little reaction except a sore arm for a day. 

Leigh

I had very little reaction to az. My arm was more sore from the flu shot.

I do know 2 people who had quite severe reactions — chills, dizziness, sore joints, etc from az.  One a few hours later, one about 12 hours.  Lasted about 5-6 hours and then abated.

One, a neighbour, talked to the nurse hotline.  Went through the symptoms and was told they were not too uncommon, and that they would pass. Unsettling.

Neither had breathing or swallowing issues, which would lead to worry of more serious reactions.

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

My husband and I must be exceptions as well. We have been having flu vaccinations for many years. We had our first AstraZeneca on April 6th and for 24-48 hours had chills, headaches, runny nose. Two weeks later we had our flu vaccination with very little reaction except a sore arm for a day. 

Leigh

From what I have read and from what my friends in the UK told me with AZ after the second jab there was much less reaction. It is supposedly the reverse with Pfizer and Moderna, a slight reaction after the first and possibly a couple of days of symptoms after the second.

One of my friends in the UK had a similar reaction to you after the first jab and just mild arm tenderness and tiredness for a few hours after his second. 

Edited by frantic36
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, kate59 said:

I've never had a flu shot in my life and had very mild symptoms after my covid vaccination so there goes that theory.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, frantic36 said:

From what I have read and from what my friends in the UK told me with AZ after the second jab there was much less reaction. It is supposedly the reverse with Pfizer and Moderna, a slight reaction after the first and possibly a couple of days of symptoms after the second.

One of my friends in the UK had a similar reaction to you after the first jab and just mild arm tenderness and tiredness for a few hours after his second. 

Thank you, hopefully that is what happens. Our second shot is in 6 weeks.

Leigh

So I just registered for my vaccination. 
I’m a nurse working in a NSW Health major hospital, (just above 50), I think due to the AZ concerns staff over 50 were reluctant to have it, recently we were advised that health care workers can have the option of both vaccinations and that close contacts of health care workers can also have the jab earlier and also choose what one.

I’ve just registered both my husband and myself, the first available date was 21/6 and I had no option but Pfizer (as did my husband when I registered him). 
Im surprised that my date is a month away and that I had no option, so maybe the rollout is ramping up more than we think?

32 minutes ago, gogo65 said:

Im surprised that my date is a month away and that I had no option, so maybe the rollout is ramping up more than we think?

I agree with your comment. I think the roll-out is ramping up more than it was and more than has been reported in the media.

• Thanks 1

My wife and I had our AZ shots on Wednesday, apart from just a vague feeling of a bit off it would appear I've come through OK, but my wife has been very off all Thursday and woke with a very strong headache and nausea today. 77&72.

Edited by Russell21
  • Like 1