The Daily for Thursday Apr 08, 2021

richwmn

57 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

Books - @VictOriann Have you read the book When We Were Young and Brave? I thought of you when I read it. I am currently working through the Sue Henry series that are set in Alaska. She passed away this past fall and I hadn't read any. Now I've read 11 of the mysteries and have 4 of the Maxie and Stretch ones to read. 

Birthdays - Happy Birthday and Anniversary to all who are celebrating! Our 44th anniversary is tomorrow and we got married on the Saturday between Good Friday and Easter Sunday in Coquitlam, BC. It was a long weekend so it made traveleing easier for our guests. Another bonus was it was my 24th birthday so I'm 68 tomorrow. 

Karen

I haven't read that book, Karen, it looks interesting.  There are so many books about "camp" - even my mother wrote one (for the family, it hasn't been published).  I don't remember any of it, of course, I was just a baby, but, something like this pandemic, maybe, it affected my parents' generation for the rest of their lives.

Happy birthday and happy anniversary tomorrow!😀

And Happy anniversary, @Overhead Fred

• Like 12

When we lived in Kenya we used to go on safari about once a month - the animals, birds, and even the insects were just amazing.  Zoos can't compare!

I did paint a couple of hippos once,  but threw it away when we downsized - just too big!  My favourite bird was the lilac-breasted roller.  DS took my painting of it, but I asked him to send me a picture of it to share with you!

IMG_6475.thumb.jpeg.53c0e36a9b41e5e27072db90bc31e47d.jpeg

• Like 26

Good afternoon, Dailyites and once again thank you for all the recipes, photos, and other fun contributions.

We San Diegans are justifiably proud of our world-class zoo.  When traveling, we'd often skip zoos because we have such a great one at home.  BUT...that all changed after we popped into a zoo in the Highlands of Scotland.  There were many local animals, looking very comfortable in their more native climate, and we were just thrilled by the experience of seeing them there.

It was amazing how much more lush and healthy the animals' coats were.  So now it's our habit to prioritize visiting zoos or animal rescue centers wherever we travel.

We skip the ones with bad reputations as far as caring for the animals, though.

• Like 14

Happy birthday to @StLouisCruisers and twin.

Happy Anniversary to @Overhead Fred and wife.

Thanks to everyone who posted photos of Japan. I probably will never get there but I sure enjoyed looking at the photos.

We celebrated our 50th anniversary aboard the Eurodam in 2008 after being shown all the sights of Bergen, Norway, then spending the rest of the day on a private island owned by my T.A.'s cousin Swen. When we got back to our cabin it had been decorated by our stewarts with a  huge balloon bouquet then after everyone at our table of 8 had finished dinner, including dessert, the waiters bought a decorated 1/4 sheet cake and sang to us. We had them take the cake back and hold it for the next evening. It was delicious.

• Like 13

Thank you Rich, Roy, the drinks and recipe ladies and all who enjoy the Daily.

Another grey day in the low 50s.  Did have a bit of sun very early on my way to a doctor checkup with a nice bit of rainbow. 

I've been trying to find a pic of me and my siblings riding a camel at the SF Zoo when we were kids to no avail.  It was a special treat.

I will definitely leave the drawing to others.

Prayers to those on the care list and those who need them.  Best wishes to all.

20210408_070348.jpg

• Like 13

2 hours ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning everyone, 

I've been meaning to post for several days but got sidetracked. 

Zoos - We went to the Anchorage Zoo in 2019 when we were on the Amsterdam. We did a ship's tour (we have a scooter for DH for mobility so it's easier ) and we did a behind-the-scenes tour. It was fun and the staff was great. We've been to the San Diego Zoo and Woodland Park Zoo multiple times. Stanley Park, in Vancouver BC, had a small zoo when I was growing up. 

Pool - our local Health Club opened up water aerobics this week so I've been there 3 times and loving it! I've done Aqua Freestyle once, Aqua Arthritis twice and Aqua Zumba today. It's so nice to be back in the water and it's good for my body. 

Books - @VictOriann Have you read the book When We Were Young and Brave? I thought of you when I read it. I am currently working through the Sue Henry series that are set in Alaska. She passed away this past fall and I hadn't read any. Now I've read 11 of the mysteries and have 4 of the Maxie and Stretch ones to read. 

Birthdays - Happy Birthday and Anniversary to all who are celebrating! Our 44th anniversary is tomorrow and we got married on the Saturday between Good Friday and Easter Sunday in Coquitlam, BC. It was a long weekend so it made traveleing easier for our guests. Another bonus was it was my 24th birthday so I'm 68 tomorrow. DH has had many medical issues so I'm just grateful to have him with us (and he'll be 81 next month). 

Have a great day!

Karen

I was sorry to read that Sue Henry had passed away.  I knew she had been having health issues.  I was introduced to her books in a campground in Fairbanks many years ago.  A fellow camper gave me his copy of her book featuring the Alaskan Highway, and I was hooked.  I have read all of her books except one.  Her last book, Cold As Ice, has never been available on line.  The last time we were in Juneau in 2018, I dragged DH to several book stores looking for it.  Finally, one bookseller told me that in all probability it was never published.  According to what I was told, just as the book was finished, her publisher dropped her for some reason.

An early Happy Birthday 🎂and an early Happy Anniversary.🥂 🎈 🌹

Lenda

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

When we lived in Kenya we used to go on safari about once a month - the animals, birds, and even the insects were just amazing.  Zoos can't compare!

I did paint a couple of hippos once,  but threw it away when we downsized - just too big!  My favourite bird was the lilac-breasted roller.  DS took my painting of it, but I asked him to send me a picture of it to share with you!

Beautiful.  Thanks for sharing this.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, sailingdutchy said:
Good morning all , another nice port today from Rich , Nagasaki , we were there on Oct 18 , 2017 on the Volendam . As a matter of fact we were suppose to go there for a second time a couple of weeks later but for political reasons , “ bad”  weather and an extra day in Shanghai our itinerary was changed and we had to cancel our tour for the second day in Nagasaki .

So our tour through Nagasaki was likely quite different than what many others have done , with our small group and Miyuki our guide we first went by streetcar to the Mt Inasa Observation platform ( 333 m )  to have a great view of Nagasaki and learned of its history.DSCN4206.thumb.JPG.666f7c87e474b09384d3a02791320461.JPG

DSCN4210.thumb.JPG.5d7319b423772064944f51a4c0e80c95.JPG

DSCN4217.thumb.JPG.3fbc780e99f60bcfdfb9d609e37be7d2.JPG

From there we visited Dejima , formally a small island first occupied by the Portuguese and taken over by the Dutch . From this small island all the trade was conducted between Europe and Japan in the 1800’s .

DSCN4229.thumb.JPG.0d8c5f3cb34f81cd20c5378a012ba584.JPG

DSCN4235.thumb.JPG.4f6c32b5a61b7fd028f90922e4be26aa.JPG

DSCN4232.thumb.JPG.c5630e99190685a0f3a41855435b02e9.JPG

739436797_DSCN42282.thumb.JPG.d6ea687d3a16f486e60dcfb65cd0dfcf.JPG

After a nice lunch in Chinatown , we went by streetcar to Teramachi where we visited a number of temples all very close to each other . The most famous one the Kofukuji temple ( Zen Sect.- 1620  ) 

DSCN4247.thumb.JPG.c8e1bb99e646bae72c8d453a79f4d72e.JPG

DSCN4256.thumb.JPG.d06431841cf8ec26ba04dadf8491140f.JPG

985280827_DSCN42552.thumb.JPG.657ae6ae88e8d4feaf96d39cdfe15170.JPG

DSCN4260.thumb.JPG.36b44dda8274c9d8681b640bdc4c9c76.JPG

94116413_DSCN42532.thumb.JPG.edcabce98013f1c51b5a698acdf3e7dc.JPG

DSCN4271.thumb.JPG.9ff93056e8b7fd275ab4482fb3dad720.JPG

DSCN4266.thumb.JPG.58038957b835a5bd22203e05620e0d88.JPG

Last place for the day we visited the “ Megane - bashi “ the Spectacles bridge 

DSCN4274.thumb.JPG.db39c7587f5d94c53a14ae325772a754.JPG

DSCN4278.thumb.JPG.6e1dc6194a9cc5554d64a7fa3a2aac2a.JPG

A great day was had by all back into port the skies broke open but we received a farewell from the school band anyways ! 

DSCN4285.thumb.JPG.82fdfd7ca3038f59c1c25ece96f4169e.JPG

DSCN4286.thumb.JPG.f904cf5b36ac9751ed8290409a98f0d9.JPG

In 2019 we were suppose to go back to Nagasaki on the Westerdam  , instead we roamed the seas for a large number of days , you all know what happened .......

Tony 😀

DSCN4248.JPG

Thank you for posting those beautiful pictures.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

@StLouisCruisers happy birthday to you and little sis.

@Overhead Fred happy anniversary Fred and Mitzi. 

Hey, Colin, just received a fat envelope from you today!  Thank you very much for the lovely stamps.  Those Irish artifacts are so interesting. And Lady Wilde is gorgeous. 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Hey, Colin, just received a fat envelope from you today!  Thank you very much for the lovely stamps.  Those Irish artifacts are so interesting. And Lady Wilde is gorgeous. 

Glad you received them ok.  We don't receive much snail mail nowadays, so hard to 'harvest' the stamps!  More will follow.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

That’s gorgeous Ann ❤️ 

• Like 3

Thanks to Rich for the Daily and to Roy for the lists, alternative menu and the photo.

Have not been to Japan, enjoying viewing the photos that have been shared.

@StLouisCruisersWishing you and your twin a very Happy  Birthday.

@Overhead Fredcongratulations on your Anniversary..........we celebrated our 43rd yesterday.

It's a lovely sunny day after fog this morning.

Keep well, stay safe everyone.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, erewhon said:

Thanks to Rich for the Daily and to Roy for the lists, alternative menu and the photo.

Have not been to Japan, enjoying viewing the photos that have been shared.

@StLouisCruisersWishing you and your twin a very Happy  Birthday.

@Overhead Fredcongratulations on your Anniversary..........we celebrated our 43rd yesterday.

It's a lovely sunny day after fog this morning.

Keep well, stay safe everyone.

Thanks, and Happy Anniversary to you!

• Like 1

Tomorrow’s daily will be written soon so I am really late today.

came back to the coast today.  Working on home projects for our family’s visit in June.  A little complicated getting everything done when going back and forth each week.  But weather here on the coast was awesome today.  Sunny but cool. 
Blessing to everyone..  Happy Friday almost!

stay well and safe. 

• Like 7

I’m a little late to the party today (or actually yesterday). We were in Nagasaki in 2014 when the Amsterdam was Our Slow Boat to China on our way to our tour of China. What follows is my blog for the day. 

Slow Boat to China - Day 17 - October 8

This morning it was bright and clear as we arrived in Nagasaki, Japan two hours earlier than originally scheduled - a change made as a consequence of our altered itinerary.  Gene, the cruise director announced, bright and early, that the ship was cleared and to expect temperatures in the low '80's.

We had booked a tour to the Peace Park, Atomic Bomb Museum and Ground Zero.  I, somehow, felt compelled to do this - and it was a very emotional day for me -- filled with all manner of conflicts;  no question in my mind about the imperative to win the war but my how we opened Pandora's box by using a nuclear bomb - and how it changed the world.

Our tour started at Peace Park - built on the site of a government prison that was totally destroyed by the bomb.  The colorful green lawns showcase a large bronze statue erected in 1955 of a man who has one arm pointing to the sky and his other arm stretched out seeking peace.  Between the statue and a large fountain that is erected to symbolically represent Nagasaki and the effects of the explosion are numerous smaller monuments donated to the park by countries from all over the world.  

The first monument we visited represented the people who were injured and died and how they begged for water.  An 84 year old gentleman who was fourteen at the time of the attack stood at the front of the monument greeting visitors, telling his story, and asking folks to ladle water from buckets at his feet over a bucket of flowers to quench the everlasting thirst of the victims.  He survived only because his boss at the Mitsubishi Ohashi Arsenal where he worked sent him out to another building to retrieve something.  He was standing behind a large pillar which shielded him from the blast.  He was one of only two survivors in his work group.

In Japan the Crane represents happiness, peace and health.  At the Peace Park and again at the museum we saw many groups of strings full of colorful origami cranes.  The custom is to string 1000 cranes together - and most school groups who visit bring such a gift with them, and hang it in a shrine next to the large statue.

The Atomic Bomb museum contained pictures of Nagasaki before and after as well as artifacts.  I sat and watched a slide show of pictures drawn by children who survived the blast as they narrated what they saw and did that day.  Enough.  DH went on to ground zero.  I passed.

Nagasaki itself is a pretty little city situated at a protected harbor and is the western most city in Japan.  The harbor is surrounded by hills and small mountains.  

As I sat in the Crows Nest during the late afternoon the sun reflected off of the windows of the homes and buildings that line the hills and I watched a large hawk (or some other sort of raptor) repeatedly fly over the windows at the bow proudly displaying his feathers.  

Later, at the sail away we were treated to the music of a children's school orchestra which played songs like "La Bomba" - they were mostly young women who wore navy school uniforms and white blouses.  Some of them did a "dance routine" with pom poms to one of the songs - very charming but definitely not the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders.

As the sun finally set we sailed away in the warm evening under the large suspension bridge at the harbor's entrance.  The cables on the silver bridge twinkled in the light of the mercury vapor lamps that illuminate the bridge at night.

Tomorrow is Juju, South Korea.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, arzz said:

I’m a little late to the party today (or actually yesterday). We were in Nagasaki in 2014 when the Amsterdam was Our Slow Boat to China on our way to our tour of China. What follows is my blog for the day. 

Slow Boat to China - Day 17 - October 8

This morning it was bright and clear as we arrived in Nagasaki, Japan two hours earlier than originally scheduled - a change made as a consequence of our altered itinerary.  Gene, the cruise director announced, bright and early, that the ship was cleared and to expect temperatures in the low '80's.

We had booked a tour to the Peace Park, Atomic Bomb Museum and Ground Zero.  I, somehow, felt compelled to do this - and it was a very emotional day for me -- filled with all manner of conflicts;  no question in my mind about the imperative to win the war but my how we opened Pandora's box by using a nuclear bomb - and how it changed the world.

Our tour started at Peace Park - built on the site of a government prison that was totally destroyed by the bomb.  The colorful green lawns showcase a large bronze statue erected in 1955 of a man who has one arm pointing to the sky and his other arm stretched out seeking peace.  Between the statue and a large fountain that is erected to symbolically represent Nagasaki and the effects of the explosion are numerous smaller monuments donated to the park by countries from all over the world.  

The first monument we visited represented the people who were injured and died and how they begged for water.  An 84 year old gentleman who was fourteen at the time of the attack stood at the front of the monument greeting visitors, telling his story, and asking folks to ladle water from buckets at his feet over a bucket of flowers to quench the everlasting thirst of the victims.  He survived only because his boss at the Mitsubishi Ohashi Arsenal where he worked sent him out to another building to retrieve something.  He was standing behind a large pillar which shielded him from the blast.  He was one of only two survivors in his work group.

In Japan the Crane represents happiness, peace and health.  At the Peace Park and again at the museum we saw many groups of strings full of colorful origami cranes.  The custom is to string 1000 cranes together - and most school groups who visit bring such a gift with them, and hang it in a shrine next to the large statue.

The Atomic Bomb museum contained pictures of Nagasaki before and after as well as artifacts.  I sat and watched a slide show of pictures drawn by children who survived the blast as they narrated what they saw and did that day.  Enough.  DH went on to ground zero.  I passed.

Nagasaki itself is a pretty little city situated at a protected harbor and is the western most city in Japan.  The harbor is surrounded by hills and small mountains.  

As I sat in the Crows Nest during the late afternoon the sun reflected off of the windows of the homes and buildings that line the hills and I watched a large hawk (or some other sort of raptor) repeatedly fly over the windows at the bow proudly displaying his feathers.  

Later, at the sail away we were treated to the music of a children's school orchestra which played songs like "La Bomba" - they were mostly young women who wore navy school uniforms and white blouses.  Some of them did a "dance routine" with pom poms to one of the songs - very charming but definitely not the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders.

As the sun finally set we sailed away in the warm evening under the large suspension bridge at the harbor's entrance.  The cables on the silver bridge twinkled in the light of the mercury vapor lamps that illuminate the bridge at night.

Tomorrow is Juju, South Korea.

We visited Nagasaki in March, 2018 and visited with the survivor of the Atomic Blast. (Volendam Feb. 28-Mar. 28 Far East itinerary) 

FB_IMG_1617946271385.jpg

• Like 6