Global Entry

margoula

6 minutes ago, margoula said:

Is Global Entry worth it for cruising....or only for Airlines?

if you have GE can you be checked in through Haven....even if you are not booked in Haven?

asking for a friend....LOL

TIA

Getting a Global Entry card solely for cruising purposes is a waste of money. No, you don't qualify for Haven check in because you have a Global Entry card. Haven check in is for those with Haven accommodations. 

IIRC Global Entry could speed your trip through customs/immigration upon disembarkation in Fort Lauderdale, and possibly Miami, but not in any other ports.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, margoula said:

if you have GE can you be checked in through Haven....even if you are not booked in Haven?

Global Entry is run by US Customs and Border Patrol to expedite reentry into the USA. It won't do anything when you're checking into a cruise... that's just the cruise line checking your docs and making sure you have a credit card on file, etc. Global Entry is a bit of a pain to get... you need to book an appointment (in NY they're all at JFK Terminal 4), and get out there for the interview and fingerprinting and photos. 

I've seen signs for it at one or two ports on disembarkation, but I don't know that the Global Entry lines are ever OPEN in these ports (including when we got off Oasis of the Seas with thousands of other people). 

That said, if you travel regularly it's great, especially if you can get it paid for by a credit card (Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve). When you get global entry, you'll also get into the TSA Pre-Check program, which lets you go into a usually shorter line at airport security, and not have to take out anything from your cary ons.

• Like 1

Global Entry is a good option to have if you travel a lot.  It is great for flying back from International flights into the US.  I have also used twice when sailing back into the US on Trans Atlantic cruise Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. Also, have used when flying into Vancouver for a sailing out of there down the west coast to LA.  You also get TSA Pre-check for 5 years which is great for flying in the US.  This is something you have to say is it worth it for you and your family. Just like with having a passport or not when you cruise out of US ports.  It works great for the wife and I as we have traveled a lot over the last 10 years or so.

Vic

• Like 2

1 hour ago, margoula said:

TIA

No use for cruising. Entry for cruises is now paperless. Normally a 30 second ID check with CBP agents standing in front of their booths (not in them). 

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

No use for cruising. Entry for cruises is now paperless. Normally a 30 second ID check with CBP agents standing in front of their booths (not in them). 

Normally for closed loop cruises perhaps, but for the two open jaw Panama Canal itineraries we took just prior to the COVID-19 shutdown that included non-WHTI countries such as Colombia we still had to go through traditional customs and immigration screening in which the CBP officers were in their booths and our passports were electronically scanned just as if we arriving from overseas on an airline flight. 

Specifically in regard to the OP's question, there were not special Global Entry lines in either LA nor NY for those cruises and as I said in my prior post, AFAIK only the Fort Lauderdale, and possibly Miami, cruise ports have separate Global Entry lines.

Global Entry is great for air travel.  I believe it’s an  extra $15.00 or so added to the cost of the TSA pre check.  Can’t remember.  Some credit cards do help with that cost as a perk feature.

Appointments for the interview are the difficult part.  They are mostly at major airports and some of land border crossings.  The other option is to have the interview when you return to the US  and clear customs.  That option I read is more available now and offered at more airports.  

• Like 1

It's a pain and a half just for the whole process. My family applied. My mom applied on a Friday night and got conditional approval by that Sunday. I and my sis have been waiting almost two months. I don't even want to know how long it'll take for the interview unless we're flying back in from an international flight. 

Edited by ColeyCola
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ColeyCola said:

It's a pain and a half just for the whole process. My family applied. My mom applied on a Friday night and got conditional approval by that Sunday. I and my sis have been waiting almost two months. I don't even want to know how long it'll take for the interview unless we're flying back in from an international flight. 

The wait time is because of the covid virus staffing of the personnel doing the interviewing

and processing your credentials.

Like a lot of things having to wait and process credentials documents the wait will pay a

dividend in not having to wait to use it later.

One thing to note as more travelers get the TSA Global Entry Eye Scan Clear the number of

travelers in the common check points are going to be reduced -

so maybe you don't need this if you only travel a few times in 5 years time. 

For $100 (5 year term) $15 more than the TSA Pre-Ck  ($85) it is worth it and consider if your

affinity credit card (AMEXCO) is covering it all that much better.

Like the TSA program you will get a Known Traveler number to put on file with the airline(s)

you travel on. Result your E-ticket will have recorded to pass the TSA check-point. 

The interview in itself is quite intense asking a lot or real personal questions taking about 10 or so minutes.

Satisfied that everything about you is in order your photo is taken and fingerprints placed on file.

You receive back in the mail a credit card size ID card with your photo

and a bar scan on the back.

Your Passport and fingerprints are scanned at the Customs Entry Point.

There being no red flags you are welcomed back in the country.

If you have duty items or questionable imports you will still have to visit that office.

Edited by don't-use-real-name
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

The wait time is because of the covid virus staffing of the personnel doing the interviewing

Like a lot of things having to wait and process credentials documents the wait will pay a

One thing to note as more travelers get the TSA Global Entry Eye Scan Clear the number of

For $100 (5 year term) $15 more than the TSA Pre-Ck  ($85) it is worth it and consider if your

affinity credit card (AMEXCO) is covering it all that much better.

Like the TSA program you will get a Known Traveler number to put on file with the airline(s)

you travel on. Result your E-ticket will have recorded to pass the TSA check-point. 

The interview in itself is quite intense asking a lot or real personal questions taking about 10 or so minutes.

Satisfied that everything about you is in order your photo is taken and fingerprints placed on file.

You receive back in the mail a credit card size ID card with your photo

and a bar scan on the back.

Your Passport and fingerprints are scanned at the Customs Entry Point.

There being no red flags you are welcomed back in the country.

If you have duty items or questionable imports you will still have to visit that office.

I yes I'm aware. I think wait time pre-covid was about six months anyway. My mom used to work for the state of Texas so I'm sure that's probably why she was processed is fast. She can't get an interview until at least July in San Antonio and that's two hours away. My family and I as of late (again precovid) took at least one international flight per year so I figured the extra $15 wasn't bad. And Bush International is large so less time in line the better lol. 

I just hate the waiting game. 

2 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

The wait time for a renewal pre-pandemic was over 6 months.

With the pandemic, fewer people are willing to fork over cash when they won’t use it. At some airports, the regular security screaming is faster than Pre-Check because they have significantly reduced staff for a service that is not being used. 

24 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The wait time for a renewal pre-pandemic was over 6 months.

With the pandemic, fewer people are willing to fork over cash when they won’t use it. At some airports, the regular security screaming is faster than Pre-Check because they have significantly reduced staff for a service that is not being used. 

I just flew and at one of the airports they just merged the lines but gave me a laminated "pre check" card so I didn't have to empty my bag or take off my shoes.  For me, that in itself makes it worth having at least  TSA Pre check.

Edited by julig22
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

Not true, we used it in our last cruise (Nov 2019) to skip very long customs line in FLL. It’s not well advertised. Also, you have to carry physical card because they can’t verify it’s ok for you to skip without it. 

Would recommend in a heat beat for cruising!

I think she meant boarding the ship. 

Global Entry is great for air travel.  It usually takes less than 60 seconds to get through immigration.  They don't even use the fingerprints anymore - you just take a photo of yourself and it gives you a receipt with your personal information to hand to the officer.  A quick check of your passport and you're on your way.

• Like 2

I got GE a few years ago, as I wanted Pre-Check, and GE was only $25 more for a 5 year card.  At the time, there was not a GE Enrollment Center at PDX, my home airport, but on a connection through SEA, I did my interview and fingerprints then.  I've used GE a few times, namely Vancouver Airport, Dublin, Shannon.  Ironically, all of them offer Pre-Clearance too.  I was very happy to have GE in Vancouver as the regular line was backed up for more than an hour.  When I showed my GE Card, gate opened, and I skipped to a completely different line and was waiting for my flight within 10 mins.  

If you are near a Global Entry Enrollment center and want Pre-Check, its worth the $25 if you occasionally travel abroad, simply because you get Pre-Check with it.

Was completely worthless for cruising though.  Other than Pre-check on my flights!  I waited in the same line as everyone else.

An advantage overlooked about the TSA Global Entry program is that when going thru the

Airport security check-points - a sort of disrobe check is not required - leave your shoes

and belts on - no need to remove that laptop/tablet from its carrying case - that does speed

things along - that's why it is called a "Trusted Traveler" program. The security check is not

so invasive. 

See if your Credit Card pays for it.  I just renewed my Global Entry for the 3rd time and it was a free benefit with one of my Chase CC's. I paid the $100 got refunded on CC within hours.  The renewal process is very easy and is totally online.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cruisingrandy said:

See if your Credit Card pays for it.  I just renewed my Global Entry for the 3rd time and it was a free benefit with one of my Chase CC's. I paid the $100 got refunded on CC within hours.  The renewal process is very easy and is totally online.

Don't let the expiration date pass causing maybe a whole re-do of the registration.

This past year though with the covid virus the personnel to process the renewals 

was hindering the timely renewals. My case fell into this situation and was grandfathered

into a -1- year extension to renew.

$100 for 5 years at $20 a year is well worth it.

One comment with some airlines traveling in First or Business class gives you an

automatic TSA Pre-Ck pass. Take advantage of everything offered to get you to the

departure gate on time. 

• Like 2

Global Entry is great. My wife has had it for years. But don't forget about Mobile Passport (App). I've used it a few times flying back from Europe. At least at JFK and Newark they have separate lines for people using it. Hold your phone up, they scan your bar code and off you go. I have not had the opportunity to use it at any cruise port yet. 

6 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

That is true, unless you are one of the folks randomly selected to come in for an interview as part of the renewal process.  

We’re two seniors, both with squeaky clean pasts, and we both got called in for an interview.

4 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

We’re two seniors, both with squeaky clean pasts, and we both got called in for an interview.

Suggest you watch Clint Eastwood’s ‘The Mule’ for background on how the supposed random choices are made.

On 4/19/2021 at 11:35 AM, don't-use-real-name said:

leave your shoes

and belts on

Maybe sometimes...but the last few times I went thru the scanner, I still tripped the alarm, and had to remove shoes and/or belt, even though I have Global Entry....