Would you go iv everyone is not vacinated?

Tennessee Titan

Would you go on a cruise where everyone is NOT vaccinated?  

419 members have voted

1. 1. Would you go on a cruise where everyone is NOT vaccinated?

• Yes
    • No

On 4/26/2021 at 11:58 AM, mightycruisequeen said:

So then, what about a vaccinated passenger getting sick; do they get put off at the next port?

They don't if they have the flu, and being vaccinated should alleviate the worst of the illness and the grave danger to other passengers.  At least that is how the flu shot has affected me.  I still get the flu but only a mild form.  The cruise lines could live with that if such is the case with the Covid shots.

What perplexes me about HAL is they aren't requiring vaccinations prior to cruising while almost every other cruise line is.  HAL has a typical older crowd, so you'd think they'd be first on board to require everyone be vaccinated.   I'm shaking my head at this.

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Agreed and I think it will be interesting to see what happens to bookings if they don’t require it.  In our limited poll, almost 80% want it.

Agree as well.  I know what I will be doing if it’s not required.  I will be putting my money where my posts have been in this regard or it that I will be taking my money away 😉 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Agreed and I think it will be interesting to see what happens to bookings if they don’t require it.  In our limited poll, almost 80% want it.

It's kind of interesting to look at this poll/thread and the one over on the Carnival board basically asking the same question 😉 

As of right now HAL votes

image.thumb.png.9968cc54a2dc7a99f46d24b18fe9c3ab.png

Right now on the Carnival board

image.thumb.png.4e815e78033b307ab52691066dc78eb9.png

Carnival is more evenly divided - wonder if their yes replies are more based on families traveling with kids?

Edited by SeaHunt
clarity
  • Like 2

A big concern with not requiring vaccinations is that shipboard protocols will need to be more stringent to protect unvaccinated guests. Already, there are places where restrictions are being relaxed in cases where everyone is vaccinated. I really don’t want to have to wear a mask everywhere on-board for 127 days on a Grand Voyage to indulge a few people who are scared of needles.

• Like 8

11 hours ago, SeaHunt said:

It's kind of interesting to look at this poll/thread and the one over on the Carnival board basically asking the same question 😉 

Carnival is more evenly divided - wonder if their yes replies are more based on families traveling with kids?

I would expect the HAL and Carnival poll results to be different, given the nature of the two cruise lines.  But to me it's notable that even many of the Carnival cruisers, young and wild as they sometimes are, do want to be on a vaccinated ship.  It's surprisingly even.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

I would expect the HAL and Carnival poll results to be different, given the nature of the two cruise lines.  But to me it's notable that even many of the Carnival cruisers, young and wild as they sometimes are, do want to be on a vaccinated ship.  It's surprisingly even.

Never make the mistake of thinking a forum sample is significant statistically.  There is already a selection bias in play just by posting it to the forum of avid cruisers.  It is sort of like taking a poll on a democrat website then concluding that some liberal agenda is supported by the general population

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Never make the mistake of thinking a forum sample is significant statistically.  There is already a selection bias in play just by posting it to the forum of avid cruisers.  It is sort of like taking a poll on a democrat website then concluding that some liberal agenda is supported by the general population

Agreed, I would guess the general population would be more risk adverse to cruising.

• Like 4

If there is a vaccine mandate, I wonder how the cruise lines will confirm their passengers are actually vaccinated. Will it be an honor system? Will they enter the business of obtaining and maintaining protected health information (PHI) under HIPAA? How will they address counterfeit CDC cards?

It might be that temperature checks are the only reasonable thing they can accomplish.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SeaHunt said:

I think so plus Carnival Cruisers are younger than HAL Cruisers.  The average age of it's Cruisers on their 3 - 7 Nite Cruises are in their 40's and HAL's are in their mid to late 60's. The Lower Risks Groups aren't as paranoid about being around non-Vaccinated people.  Carnival's longer Cruises such as the Journey, Med and Hawaii Cruises attract older Passengers so a Poll on them alone would show more are Vaccinated.  

• Like 3

OMG! ACL had changed their vax policy for cruises suddenly back in March. Gave just a week's notice that pax had to be vaccinated!!!

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2775024-acl-requiring-vaccinations-now/

Negative test not required?

Hope that CCL doesn't do a sudden about-face on its first cruises. Best to comply with the industry standard. 👍

25 minutes ago, SumoCitrus said:

If there is a vaccine mandate, I wonder how the cruise lines will confirm their passengers are actually vaccinated. Will it be an honor system? Will they enter the business of obtaining and maintaining protected health information (PHI) under HIPAA? How will they address counterfeit CDC cards?

It might be that temperature checks are the only reasonable thing they can accomplish.

"Honor system".  Now there's an oxymoron. 

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

My assumption would be that the avid cruisers here would be more likely than others to "take a chance" on an unvaccinated ship because we are die-hard cruisers here.  People who aren't all that into cruising are surely even less into it right now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, SumoCitrus said:

I've wondered the same thing about nursing homes, medical facilities, colleges, and any business who requires vaccinated patrons or employees.

I recently discovered the US Virgin Islands accept antibody testing.  I wonder if this could be the future of confirmation testing.

So here is the question. Right now India is going through a horrendous time with the virus. If you show up for a cruise Saturday and there is a group of 100 citizens from India also on that cruise and there is no vaccination requirement do you go? At present it is India. Who knows what the next country is where Covid is out of control. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Just a small note on this. It might actually be more than 80% in our limited poll want it.  For example I voted that I would cruise even if vaccines were not required, but that does not mean I don't want them to be required. I am just comfortable enough with the risks to cruise either way.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mary229 said:

1 hour ago, Brentt_M said:

Just a small note on this. It might actually be more than 80% in our limited poll want it.  For example I voted that I would cruise even if vaccines were not required, but that does not mean I don't want them to be required. I am just comfortable enough with the risks to cruise either way.

There is also inherent bias in the way a poll question is framed.  In this case it is a dichotomous choice question being posited: "Sail or no sail."  In this poll, respondents are being asked to decide will they get on a cruise ship or not?  Another more accurate measure might be "which ship would you sail on?"  (A) 100% vaccinated, (B) A mixture of vaccinated and unvaccinated, or (C) None at all.

I think you would most likely get significantly different results if that is the way the question was framed.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

There is also inherent bias in the way a poll question is framed.  In this case it is a dichotomous choice question being posited: "Sail or no sail."  In this poll, respondents are being asked to decide will they get on a cruise ship or not?  Another more accurate measure might be "which ship would you sail on?"  (A) 100% vaccinated, (B) A mixture of vaccinated and unvaccinated, or (C) None at all.

I think you would most likely get significantly different results if that is the way the question was framed.

Or as I initially responded, if safeguards are in place I don't care who is vaccinated.  I am fine with the EU guidelines.  Most respondents have assumed the cruise would abort if someone had a positive test, that is not necessarily a good assumption

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, JeffElizabeth said:

I wouldn't have a problem being on a ship with unvaccinated passengers and crew. We are fully vaccinated and should be safe.

So your ok with your cruise being canceled two days in because multiple unvaccinated passengers get Covid?  Also since you have unvaccinated passengers, you need tighter protocols like masks, reservations only for eating, the gym, the theater, no trivia, limited bar seating....you get the picture.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Or as I initially responded, if safeguards are in place I don't care who is vaccinated.  I am fine with the EU guidelines.  Most respondents have assumed the cruise would abort if someone had a positive test, that is not necessarily a good assumption

One positive probably not but Covid rarely travels alone.  So far, the cruises I am aware of that have had Covid have aborted.  With unvaccinated onboard the ease of transmission is too great plus the likelihood of severe cases only exists with the unvaccinated.  Look at India and you see what happens with an unvaccinated population.

4 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

One positive probably not but Covid rarely travels alone.  So far, the cruises I am aware of that have had Covid have aborted.  With unvaccinated onboard the ease of transmission is too great plus the likelihood of severe cases only exists with the unvaccinated.  Look at India and you see what happens with an unvaccinated population.

As stated I like the EU guidelines and would sail under those protocols.  Just my humble opinion for me.  I am not trying to convince anyone to do other than their risk profile tolerates

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1