All inclusive. Not really. Expensive, YES!

ALWAYS CRUZIN

48 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Nice comparisons...you make great points..

That comparison is really not correct. NCL charges a massive cost in gratuities added to there so called include beverage package. They have been doing that for years. However, you can opt not to take it and get the lower cruise cost. No longer with Celebrity.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

That comparison is really not correct. NCL charges a massive cost in gratuities added to there so called include beverage package. They have been doing that for years. However, you can opt not to take it and get the lower cruise cost. No longer with Celebrity.

I know how NCL works...it adds up to $40 US a day for 2 for the drinks..try getting a bottled water or a nice coffee with their package, you can’t..they were stingy with canned soda too the last time I was on NCL with the package...IF you have kids, they might like the larger NCL ships. 

• Like 1

On 5/2/2021 at 11:36 AM, cantstopingcruising said:

I took a look  at Royal Carib.

Jan/23 they have a 14 day cruise on the Rhapsody out of Barbados. The price is amazing (at least yesterday it was!) and we can add a week in Barbados and still come out ahead of our usual 21 days on Celebrity.

Question is:  Would we like the Rhapsody?  I have no idea.

Thank you to those who responded.

I spoke to a friend and she said the cabins are small and there isn't enough space for all our clothes.

Don't forget this is a 14 day cruise and we would add a week in Barbados.

Dh said No!

the all in cost of Celebrity compare to Royal  was higher for Royal  for  a 2022 TA cruise from FL  to Barcelona I think it  Anthem, vs M  Class both balcony,adjusted for drinks and internet and grats.

Also did a compare of Reflection  11 night to Edge 7 night, and dollar wise Reflection was just  slightly more but of course 4 more nights. Aqua Class and the indulge package for both. Cost per day is another good metric.

We all have our own views, thankfully, as to (perceived) value. And for me that can change like the direction of the wind.

And once you decide on that you are going to do something, then its a matter of finding the right package, including cruise line, ship, itinerary and class of service.

On 5/2/2021 at 4:47 PM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Agree. If you are going to charge for luxury, you better provide it. The past pricing and the past experience was well worth it. No longer. Again, I do not want to pay for others to enjoy what I do not want or need.

Awfully hard to get this point across to some folks. You are not paying one red cent for me or anyone else to enjoy something you don't want or need. It reads Always Included on my booking just as it does on everyone else's. Somewhere in my final payment there are dollars spent for that, how much I don't know. I don't care, If it's any consolation, I'm going to enjoy the cruise and AI with or without your money.

• Like 2

NCL may be all inclusive, though does not matter to me, I don't sail on her.  But when you say all inclusive "as well", are you referring to Celebrity?  If so, not a fair comparison, Celerity is always included, NOT all inclusive, big difference.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just an aside.

If everyone has free drinks, do you think there will be much more drinking on the ship?

In the past, I have met some pax with the drinks package and they were a little tipsy!

I met one woman whose husband spent the entire time at one bar or another.

The same mentality as the people who overflow their buffet plates.

Asking if since drinks are prepaid as part of the cruise cost (not free), do I think there will be much more drinking? More, of course. Much more? No. And you met some people who had drinks packages and they were a ‘little tipsy’? I guess that means since they were ‘a little tipsy’ means they had a bit more, but not much.

And if some woman’s husband spent the entire time at one bar or another, it sounds as if he has a major drinking issue, not caused by a drinks package or inclusive drinks. 

And yes, on vacation on a cruise, I do have more wine and drinks than I do at home. And it has nothing to do with a drinks package or included drinks, it has to do with being on vacation on a beautiful ship going to places I haven’t been to with a beautiful wife, looking out at sea and seeing that cutting edge of the horizon and smelling the sea, and……..I’ve Got to Get Back to Cruising….I’m losing it!

Den

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Asking if since drinks are prepaid as part of the cruise cost (not free), do I think there will be much more drinking? More, of course. Much more? No. And you met some people who had drinks packages and they were a ‘little tipsy’? I guess that means since they were ‘a little tipsy’ means they had a bit more, but not much.

And if some woman’s husband spent the entire time at one bar or another, it sounds as if he has a major drinking issue, not caused by a drinks package or inclusive drinks. 

And yes, on vacation on a cruise, I do have more wine and drinks than I do at home. And it has nothing to do with a drinks package or included drinks, it has to do with being on vacation on a beautiful ship going to places I haven’t been to with a beautiful wife, looking out at sea and seeing that cutting edge of the horizon and smelling the sea, and……..I’ve Got to Get Back to Cruising….I’m losing it!

Den

Den:  LOL-losing it.  We all are.

Do not forget the relaxed casual dinner where you or your better half do not have to drive anywhere, days at sea where one can sit at the sunset  or oceanview bars reading or listening to music or having a 3 hour happy hour (with the same better half), or have a drink at lunch knowing the afternoon is not work.

Or listening to music late night with a nice cup of specialty coffee. Or playing a game, etc.

Its not the tipsy aspect, its the reality in the morning you have to work out a bit extra to take care of it all. Or walk around an island or city you port at.

Yep: it is vacation.

Edited by HMR74
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Denny01 said:

How would the poster know "some woman’s husband spent the entire time at one bar or another"...?  Wouldn't the poster also have had to spend the same time at one bar or another?  Not judgin'...just sayin'....

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 5/3/2021 at 10:54 AM, CroozFanatic said:

Seems the main sticking point with AI is from including drinks. Virgin Voyages did not include drinks in their AI package. Easy for Celebrity to modify/copy...and they should.

I know a lot of folks disagree, but Edge, Apex, and Beyond and the AI package are "most like" Virgin Voyages and the Scarlet Lady, Valiant Lady, and Resilient Lady.

X needs to copy VV's approach to inclusions, you believe?

What are the most similarities you see in E-Class vs VV's class?

bon voyage

15 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Sounds like NCL is made just for you.  Enjoy

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, cantstopingcruising said:

Just an aside.

If everyone has free drinks, do you think there will be much more drinking on the ship?

In the past, I have met some pax with the drinks package and they were a little tipsy!

I met one woman whose husband spent the entire time at one bar or another.

The same mentality as the people who overflow their buffet plates.

...🙄

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

I do.

VV has (tips, wifi, sodas, fitness classes, specialty restaurants)

X has (tips, wifi, drinks)

VV does not offer an unlimited drink package. As a non-drinker, I prefer this.

VV does post some drink prices on their website - something X should also copy.

Drinks are the sticking point and I'm sure the most expensive of the inclusions. Folks that don't drink, or don't drink much don't want to be forced to pay for those that do.

14 minutes ago, CroozFanatic said:

Drinks are the sticking point and I'm sure the most expensive of the inclusions. Folks that don't drink, or don't drink much don't want to be forced to pay for those that do.

Don't tell or push that concept to the 537 elected officials in DC. Any 537, at any time.

Edited by HMR74
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

What are the most similarities you see in E-Class vs VV's class?

bon voyage

All are brand new ships - Scarlet Lady, Valiant Lady, Resilient Lady, Edge, Apex, Beyond.

Very similar in cost - E-Class around $1B and VV ships around $850M, but VV ships are slightly smaller.

VV is run by a Disney exec. It appears they are branding themselves (like X) above Royal, Norwegian, and Carnival in hopes of getting Disney like prices. I also think they are going to sell to Comcast/NBC/Universal, but that is another post.

Disney does get a significant premium to NCL, RCL, and Carnival. They do it with better service, food, and entertainment. It appears VV is trying to do this as well, but obviously, it's too early to tell.

• Thanks 1

Remember, business is about brand differentiation, however, good ideas are copied. Once they play out as good ideas.

As I say this, I wonder how many Cruise line execs will take a cruise on another line to get a feel for what they actually deliver. Then travel on their own to compare.

I think its called benchmarking.

~20 years ago I had lunch with the exec VP of a restaurant chain. Went to one of his places. Upscale. He ordered, of all things, Mac and Cheese. When he got it, he tasted it and excused himself from the table and said he  would be right back. He returned, and like out of a movie, said the food was not prepared properly and took the manager into the kitchen to show the staff  how to cook and prepare and serve it.

CNBC has a show called undercover boss which basically is the same thing. The CEO getting his or her hands "dirty".

After I left he stayed back to work more with them.

So I hope all the lines do this although on Celebrity I have not seen too many issues. But the devil is in the details. Little problems have a way of  turning into big problems if they are not caught early.

• Thanks 1

Den

Not losing it at all, Den. Expand on the the above. I see a possible Nicholas Sparks of the high seas. "A Cruise To Remember" or "Sea Me" perhaps.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, CroozFanatic said:

I do.

VV has (tips, wifi, sodas, fitness classes, specialty restaurants)

X has (tips, wifi, drinks)

VV does not offer an unlimited drink package. As a non-drinker, I prefer this.

VV does post some drink prices on their website - something X should also copy.

Okay, I understand your position, yet mine being is that I do not drink as much as I did when I first started cruising, yet still prefer PBP.

Since having a BP, looking online for prices of drinks is not an issue and if or when I become a non-drinker, pricing of drinks are still not an issue as they will have them on-board, more than enough time to decide if I would want to order or not.

I do keep reading where "Folks that don't drink, or don't drink much don't want to be forced to pay for those that do." in various incarnations, while in fact those who choose not to drink and have to purchase the AI package, are not "subsidizing" those who choose to drink, they are only getting a package which they can choose to use or not as alcohol is NOT the only beverage in the package, or as far as I can remember??? LOL

Ultimately it is the availability not the use. As such there are upgrades which one can purchase if they desire, which can add to the overall enjoyment and convenience of our sailing.

For some of us here on CC, AI is not a deal breaker only itinerary, pricing or experiences or the lack thereof are.

Cheers and bon voyage

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, CroozFanatic said:

Disney does get a significant premium to NCL, RCL, and Carnival. They do it with better service, food, and entertainment. It appears VV is trying to do this as well, but obviously, it's too early to tell.

Disney gets an intangible premium price because its the Disney "thing". Kids want to go on it and thus families too. And it also has the "keeping up with the neighbors" aspect going for it.

Having said that, It might be interesting to go on a Disney cruise when schools are in session. Assuming the prices are not too premium. I wonder if they adjust the theme of the cruises to fit adults. Got to go over to a Disney thread.

19 minutes ago, HMR74 said:

CNBC has a show called undercover boss which basically is the same thing. The CEO getting his or her hands "dirty".

It's called an " Infomercial "----

A one hour " Promotion " of the Company showing empathy from the CEO for 3 employees enduring hardship --They all get rewarded ,  hug  Mr/ Ms " Big " etc.etc.  Same theme on every show. 

Late to this party, but it hits close to home. I drink and love drink packages, but my wife has an a-fib condition triggered by alcohol and caffeine, even decaf (among other things). She discovered a rooibos tea on Reflection that was available in the PBP, but we later found a non-premium one on RC that was available like regular tea.

Having read through the entire thread, I am surprised no one has commented on the prior policy with drink packages that required every adult in a cabin to get the package EXCEPT you could call for an exception for medical reasons (and I think get a soda package instead).

As I recall, virtually everyone thought it was very fair to allow the exception for medical reasons. Most people understood the "everyone gets it" policy as stemming from excessive sharing when packages started.

I am disappointed to see so few people having understanding of people who want to be on Celebrity but are unhappy at having to pay for drinks that they cannot have. Yes, they can go elsewhere, but that is pretty drastic. No one blithely dismissed concerns like this in the prior price--you all routinely offered help to anyone asking about it.

As to "this has been discussed many times" that fact does not mean the OP should have waded through the entire Celebrity forum to find such threads. There are also dozens of threads, if not more, about cancellations, FCCs, refunds, the CDC, Celeb Air, ship sightings, buffets, and virtually all newly offered threads raising someone's concerns. Not everyone takes the time to read all new posts, and I think people should just leave a thread alone if they don't want to rehash something rather than rebuking someone for bringing things up.

There seems to be a lot of unhappiness motivating more snarkiness than I recall seiing before in threads that are not about the usual fire pits like tips and dress codes.

So far, 260+ posts in, not one person has suggested a good reason for eliminating exceptions.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

So far, 260+ posts in, not one person has suggested a good reason for eliminating exceptions.

You may not like it but the good reason for AI and increased prices is increased revenue for the company.  They will continue along these lines until there actual revenue decreases if they lose market share.  Then you will see changes.