Updated Mask Guidance from CDC

elcuchio24

11 minutes ago, elcuchio24 said:

Thanks for posting. I really think people have wasted too much time worrying about mask requirements way before cruising resumes. I can’t wait until Aug.or later to when I expect masks to be in the past.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, elcuchio24 said:

24 minutes ago, mondello said:

Thanks for posting. I really think people have wasted too much time worrying about mask requirements way before cruising resumes. I can’t wait until Aug.or later to when I expect masks to be in the past.

Well, the CDC supposedly still requires masks for flying on an airplane.

"There are a handful of instances where people will still need to wear masks — in a health-care setting, at a business that requires them or on an airplane — even if they’ve had their final vaccine dose two or more weeks ago, CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky told reporters at a press briefing."

My bold.  I honestly can't think why they left that condition there.  If sitting side-by-side with a mask on was supposedly safe with no vaccine, surely with the vaccine the masks can completely go away.

So let's see if they update guidance for cruising.  I need to find the original CDC doc/press release, if available.

• Like 1

They want to save face and not open everything up immediately. Give it 2-3 weeks and all restrictions will be over. It's all being done this way so they don't look like the idiots they've proven to be.

Edited by bamaone
  • Like 18

3 minutes ago, bamaone said:

They want to save face and not open everything up immediately. Give it 2-3 weeks and all restrictions will be over. It's all being done this way so they don't look like the idiots they proven to be.

Spot on.  Perhaps they're indeed moving from 'follow the séance' to their 'follow the science' stuff afterall?

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, bamaone said:

They want to save face and not open everything up immediately. Give it 2-3 weeks and all restrictions will be over. It's all being done this way so they don't look like the idiots they proven to be.

It will all be over by the time cruising resumes. Once the weekly death average drops to around 200 or so and everyone who wants the vaccine has had a chance then all restrictions will be dropped. They would do it now but are worried it would cause people to skip getting vaccinated.

Edited by HaveWeMetYet
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, bucfan2 said:

Spot on.  Perhaps we're indeed moving from 'follow the séance' to follow the science?

They have known the science all along.

They have been guided by teacher unions not science has been the problem.

• Like 10

57 minutes ago, mondello said:

here here!

I would hold off before I start to pack for a mask-less cruise..  It was specific to point out that business can require it and transportation is a must.  Cruises can fall under both those headings.  A cruise is so different than going to Aunt Janet's for a BBQ.  There are thousands of people in close quarters.  I'm just saying I would wait for specific direction on cruising before I celebrate.   Again, the CDC still can dictate the ports of call for re-entry into the US.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Caps_Shield said:

I would hold off before I start to pack for a mask-less cruise..  It was specific to point out that business can require it and transportation is a must.  Cruises can fall under both those headings.  A cruise is so different than going to Aunt Janet's for a BBQ.  There are thousands of people in close quarters.  I'm just saying I would wait for specific direction on cruising before I celebrate.   Again, the CDC still can dictate the ports of call for re-entry into the US.

I agree but the more restrictions lifted on land, the harder it becomes to keep them on a cruise.  I mean, if people can go to a bar, no mask, no social distance, etc, then it makes it hard for the CDC to say, not you cruise lines, everyone must wear a mask at all times etc.   I think the restrictions will be in place for a cruising restart in July, then one by one removed by November and by Jan 2022,  it will be back to normal 100% on the cruise lines.  

1 minute ago, Cowboys4ever said:

I agree but the more restrictions lifted on land, the harder it becomes to keep them on a cruise.  I mean, if people can go to a bar, no mask, no social distance, etc, then it makes it hard for the CDC to say, not you cruise lines, everyone must wear a mask at all times etc.   I think the restrictions will be in place for a cruising restart in July, then one by one removed by November and by Jan 2022,  it will be back to normal 100% on the cruise lines.  

There is a difference, IMO, between going to a local bar without a mask and going to say St. Kitts on a cruise.  One is a foreign land where you have no idea what variant or amount of vaccines have been given out.   I'm just saying that a cruise is different than on land thing.   For example, I'm going to Universal soon.  I do not expect anything to change there because of what the CDC says.   At least not for some time and that is within the US, Florida, but still the US I guess.  I just think people may be jumping the gun at the moment.  

Airplanes and public transportation can't/don't require vaccination for passengers, so I'm sure that's why they were singled out.

With the CDC essentially requiring cruise lines to require vaccination in order to sail, it puts them in a different space than airlines.

• Like 3

A little common sense goes a long way.  If the vaccines work, then masks shouldn't be required for people who are vaccinated.  If I can lounge by the pool on a cruise ship without wearing a mask, see a theater show without a mask, and enjoy a meal without a mask, then I don't have a huge issue with wearing a stupid mask going to and from places.   I think no masks should be required inside or out on vaccinated cruises though.

The risk of catching the virus on a vaccinated-only cruise where everyone was tested before boarding comes nowhere near the risk of catching the virus with untested and unvaccinated people traveling on a plane or even at an amusement park.  

It's good to see the CDC finally coming around to common sense.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

But it still begs the question who has had the vaccine and who has not.  Without some record or required physican's note, who's going to know.  My word versus your sneezing.

I think the only way is for cruise lines who want these relaxed mask rules to have vaccinated-only cruises where people need to show their vaccination card and sign a form attesting to the accuracy of the the vaccine information.  If they let children under 12 cruise, then I guess those kids will sadly have to wear masks.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, topaz123 said:

Let's see....it's No Mask, to one mask to possibly 2 or 3 masks and now back to no masks. Spin the wheel for the mask of the week from CDC.

Yeah, they have a big wheel like on Wheel of Fortune!

20 minutes ago, Jasonsterling said:

Well, finally, getting the vaccine is paying off- I mean aside from the whole not dying thing, lol. This is positive news and a good step back to normal. 

haha my daughter's words exactly 😄

• Like 1

I think there was a large percentage of the ones that haven't been vaccinated yet, that didn't see the point of the vaccine if all the restrictions were still in place.  I think we will see an increase in vaccinations now.

• Like 1

Dr. Walensky was asked about travel in the q&a session after the announcement, and she did say that they would be updating travel guidance very soon. I also liked how she kept emphasizing in response to several questions that if you are fully vaccinated, the science shows that you are now pretty much free to do as you please -- and that if you're not, "with vaccines now universally available to everyone 12 and older in our country", then that is on you. As it should be!

• Like 1