21 years on Cruise Critic! But few cruises in my future now.

GottaLuvCruising

Popped into CC to see what's cooking and realize TODAY is my 21st anniversary with Cruise Critic.  I've seen a lot of changes over the years - on this board as well as in cruising.  

We have two Princess cruises booked for next year and they might be our last.  I had a stroke March 27th and was diagnosed with cerebrovascular small vessel disease.  It is likely that I'll have more strokes, develop dementia and have shortened lifespan.  The most critical factors are blood pressure and stress.  I'll do my very best with self care, but expect that we'll need a quieter lifestyle going forward.  

It is what it is.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, GottaLuvCruising said:

Popped into CC to see what's cooking and realize TODAY is my 21st anniversary with Cruise Critic.  I've seen a lot of changes over the years - on this board as well as in cruising.  

We have two Princess cruises booked for next year and they might be our last.  I had a stroke March 27th and was diagnosed with cerebrovascular small vessel disease.  It is likely that I'll have more strokes, develop dementia and have shortened lifespan.  The most critical factors are blood pressure and stress.  I'll do my very best with self care, but expect that we'll need a quieter lifestyle going forward.  

It is what it is.  

Happy Cruise Critic Anniversary!!  I am sorry about your diagnosis and prognosis!  So your next two cruises need to be the BEST EVER!!!  I Look forward to following your journey!  Happy sailing!!

• Like 8

Congratulations on your 21st anniversary on CC.  I feel sad, based on your screen name, about your health problems necessitating a quieter life without cruising, going forward.  Hopefully medication will prolong your good years and you can still enjoy life.  I was just put on BP pills this week.  I didn't even know I had a high BP.  I guess that is why it is called the silent killer.

I hope your next cruises will be wonderful and maybe you will be able for more than 2.  Take care.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, memoak said:

We have been cruising since 1990 through Crohn’s and Lung Cancer. 5 cruises now scheduled in 2022 and 2023. Never give up

Good for you!  I appreciate that encouragement.  

We feel like we need to slow down and just make the most of every day.  This year we had already planned a two month cross-country national park camping trip.  We've extended our time a bit as hubby now has to do all the driving.  Hoping to go forward with this trip.  

We are taking granddaughters on western Caribbean Spring Break, then doing Alaska cruise tour with my sister and BIL.  After those cruises, we're just thinking we'll stay closer to home and enjoy family time.  I'm just trying to emotionally prepare myself for a lifestyle that's slower than what we've enjoyed together for 48 years.  

• Thanks 1

I wish you well on your journey.  Many of us "older folk"  have had a frightening diagnosis for one or more of the terrible diseases.  It is scary and I am glad that you have a supportive family to help you through.  You may be surprised at how many more cruises you can do. My diagnosis was 2 years ago and I am bummed that I had to waste a year while this covid mess has stayed and stayed.  As soon as I was able, we cruised like crazy and got off the last ship on March 13, 2020 and avoided a ship quarantine. Cruising is one thing that is good for us less able folks.  We just substitute those ship bus tours for the 5 mile plus hikes we used to take.  We thoroughly enjoy the shows and socializing with new friends on ships.  Now we have 7 more cruises scheduled for the next 2 years and hope we can do them all and more.  You might benefit from a good support group. I follow one for my disease online so it is aways available.  Again, I wish you well and some very good years ahead.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Congrats on your CC anniversary! 😄  Enjoy your cruises!  Adjusting to a new lifestyle will be a learning curve but the tone of your post leads me to believe you'll figure it out and do well.  Aging isn't an easy process sometimes but approaching it with positivity is a huge step!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, johnmik1 said:

My start date on CC is 5/1/00 which I believe is the date CC transitioned from an AOL site to the internet.I was on the AOL site from 1995-2000.

Wow!  I've been through two rebuilds where we lost our post counts, but I used to be far more active than in recent years.  You've seen LOTS of changes!  

I started out with AOL, too and also lost post counts.  I remember when the 3 main cruise forums put together group cruises and I did a few of those.  Cruise Critic prevailed though, thankfully, by keeping up with the changing internet times, always updating, upgrading their systems.  Good for them! 😄

• Like 3

54 cruises since 1994( one coming up next month) with Colitis and P.S.C ( rare liver disease) and hubby's 9 surgeries. We have two cruise booked for next year and one more in Nov this year. Never give up!!!

• Like 2

Live one day at a time Gotta Luv Cruising and Happy Anniversary

My husband had a stroke 4 years ago and yes there is a chance of another and yes his memory is not near what it was but the secret is stay active body and mind. I totally hate that saying It  Is What It Is.

We cannot change what has happened in the past but think positive and I bet you will have many more Cruise Critic Anniversaries.

Arlene

• Like 2

On 5/24/2021 at 7:44 AM, gmjc2 said:

54 cruises since 1994( one coming up next month) with Colitis and P.S.C ( rare liver disease) and hubby's 9 surgeries. We have two cruise booked for next year and one more in Nov this year. Never give up!!!

On 5/24/2021 at 7:44 AM, gmjc2 said:

PSC is rare (how well I and my Grandaughter know) but you might visit https://www.livingwithpsc.org/ and meet with others...

16 hours ago, TNTLAMB said:

PSC is rare (how well I and my Grandaughter know) but you might visit https://www.livingwithpsc.org/ and meet with others...

Wow! I have never meet another P.S.C patient before. When I was first diagnosed in 2010 I was my local Gastro Doc's only patient. I attend the Mayo clinic 2X a year. I am lucky to be very stable and have been since 2014! Good Luck to you and your Granddaughter.

Just wanted to say this is where you can see the good side of the internet, we all know there can be a dark side sometimes.  Sharing information is great, connecting with others in the same situation.  Best of luck to all of you.