Chefs Table

After 30+ cruises, we’re finally going to try Chefs Table on our June 19th Adventure cruise.    I can’t eat a lot at one sitting but figure the experience may be worth it.  Can anyone give me any hints or suggestions?  Is it really worth it?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sellwingri said:

After 30+ cruises, we’re finally going to try Chefs Table on our June 19th Adventure cruise.    I can’t eat a lot at one sitting but figure the experience may be worth it.  Can anyone give me any hints or suggestions?  Is it really worth it?

We finally tried the Chef's Dinner on Royal about two cruises ago. We enjoyed it. The food is delicious, the wine pairing is excellent. The Chef comes out before each serving and gives a little description. The service was top class. On our evening only one other group showed up so we we were an intimate group of six. 

Skip lunch and snacks that day and you'll be fine. 

Jonathan 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cruiserking said:

We finally tried the Chef's Dinner on Royal about two cruises ago. We enjoyed it. The food is delicious, the wine pairing is excellent. The Chef comes out before each serving and gives a little description. The service was top class. On our evening only one other group showed up so we we were an intimate group of six. 

Skip lunch and snacks that day and you'll be fine. 

Jonathan 

My husband is a very picky eater and would never enjoy this but I would like to try it.  I wonder if people ever go alone?

4 minutes ago, mek said:

My husband is a very picky eater and would never enjoy this but I would like to try it.  I wonder if people ever go alone?

Sure, why not. But, you can certainly tell the Chef before the dinner that you only like chicken and fish. It's a fun night. Give it a shot. 

Jonathan

We've eaten at Chef's Table on many cruises and always really enjoyed it. The food is definitely way above what you would get in the MDR and the experience of having the dishes explained to you, along with the choice for wine pairing make it a special experience, particularly if you get a fun table.

However, my only hesitation would be based on where it is located. The Chef's Table on Radiance class ships has a dedicated and really nicely appointed dining room which makes the experience all the more special. We had Chef's Table on Explorer which was held in a curtained off section of Chops, where we found it difficult to hear what the chef and sommelier were saying due to noise from the restaurant. We were quite lucky as we heard that sometimes they held it in a section of the Windjammer which would not have made it special at all. I believe it's also sometimes held on the staircase area of the MDR - again doesn't seem very special. It's not a cheap option and I wouldn't pay again unless I knew it was in a dedicated dining room.

As for dining alone, we have known people dine alone. The other guests have always been very inclusive and eager to join in with everyone. If you choose to dine alone I would speak with the person organising the tables on your cruise to ensure you don't end up dining there on a night with a large group who are travelling together and may be less inclusive. If you join your roll call there are often people asking if anyone would like to form a group for Chef's Table.

Edited by Bobal
  • Like 1

The Chef's Table experience is certainly worthwhile.  Although there are multiple courses, each with the paired wine, the plates are not overly abundant nor heavy.  You will not leave there stuffed unless you ask for seconds and not many people do. From my experience, there are single / solo people who go and have no problem interacting with the small group.  The socialization aspect is part of the overall experience and is encouraged. 

Some of my favorite dishes I've had on RCI are the Chef's Table scallop carpaccio and roasted branzino -- highly recommended.  If you check YouTube there are some videos posted of Chef's Table by passengers, which give you a pretty good idea of what it's like. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bobal said:

However, my only hesitation would be based on where it is located. The Chef's Table on Radiance class ships has a dedicated and really nicely appointed dining room which makes the experience all the more special. We had Chef's Table on Explorer which was held in a curtained off section of Chops, where we found it difficult to hear what the chef and sommelier were saying due to noise from the restaurant. We were quite lucky as we heard that sometimes they held it in a section of the Windjammer which would not have made it special at all. I believe it's also sometimes held on the staircase area of the MDR - again doesn't seem very special. It's not a cheap option and I wouldn't pay again unless I knew it was in a dedicated dining room.

I would not enjoy it either in these "public" areas you describe.  Aren't true chef's tables traditionally in the kitchen?

We had an terrible and amusing experience on Allure -but not because of the food. Two or three days before sailing I received an email that our very-low bid upgrade request had been accepted. Originally in a Grand Suite, I had bid $200 on an Owner's Suite. To our surprise we were upgraded to a 1250 sq foot suite  that was simply stunning and gave us the Star class benefits and Genie. The Chef's Table was included with Star Class so we gave it a try. We were seated across from the world's biggest blowhard ( he was the universe's gift to the legal profession and claimed to be married to a super model whom we would recognize if he told us her name -sure, dude ) and his 14 yo and 9 yo boys, both of whom were permitted to drink glasses of champagne . We also had 2 couples who hit  it off and they proceeded to leave the table every 10 minutes and came back high as hell and NOT mellow-they were tossing things about the table, were loud and sharing some sort of smoke-free cannabis device at the table  as well. The braggard and another couple soon joined them on these little trips leaving my husband and me  alone with the 2 kids and an elderly couple who were seated at the opposite end of the table. 

The food was quite good but not overwhelming in amount. They had substituted the branzino with another fish. Service was below what we expected but that is because the server would not bring the next course until everyone was back from their mind-altering  mini-sojourns. We had to grab a quick  bite of the desert ball and run as the continued delays added up and dinner was extended at least 45 minutes .and we wanted to make it to the show.

The wines we were served were not included in the beverage package and we recived a check for the wine for around $45 plus the tip for the maitre D/host. I cant remember if it was per person or for both of us. 

The table was located in a loft  above the diamond lounge.

Edited by forgotmyCCname

28 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I would not enjoy it either in these "public" areas you describe.  Aren't true chef's tables traditionally in the kitchen?

True Chef's Tables are - but this is not a 'literal' Chef's Table, just an opportunity for the Chef to present his menu then go away and cook it, not cook it in front of you as in a true Chef's table.

4 minutes ago, sellwingri said:

My Royal app says it’s located on 5th floor aft.  3rd floor of the MDR is there so it may be in the back of dining room.  

Well some ships have a kind of room built on to the back of the MDR (I know they had this on Grandeur). Perhaps someone who has done Chef's Table on Adventure could chime in here.

My DD and  her hubby and a few of their friends did this on a cruise a few years ago and loved it.  DD is a real wine lover and a food snob to boot, and in general is not a fan of cruise food, but she and all of their party LOVED everything at Chef's Table.  I have no personal experience, but DD was definitely impressed and I would trust her judgment.  If you go, I hope you have a great experience!  🙂

Have never done the Chef’s Table, but we cruise on Harmony so often that we’ve become good friends with one of the Chefs that does the Chef’s Table there (it’s in the Solarium Bistro). Every time we have dinner in the Bistro when he’s on board, he always brings us one or two of the entrees that he’s serving at the Table to sample, and if we order off of the Bistro menu, he personally oversees the preparation of our meals.

Edited by orville99

3 hours ago, cruiserking said:

Sure, why not. But, you can certainly tell the Chef before the dinner that you only like chicken and fish. It's a fun night. Give it a shot. 

Jonathan

My daughter and I did this a few years ago on Brilliance.  They approached us about signing up for Chef's Table, but we mentioned that neither of us loved seafood, and that maybe the experience would be wasted on us. He informed the chef, and when plates were brought out with seafood, we had something different, and nobody drew attention to us either. They handled it very professionally. Food and wine were wonderful and service was top notch. If you have an opportunity, it really is a very nice evening.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

The Chef's Table experience is certainly worthwhile.  Although there are multiple courses, each with the paired wine, the plates are not overly abundant nor heavy.  You will not leave there stuffed unless you ask for seconds and not many people do. 

You can ask for seconds?!? Why have I never tried that. 

• Haha 1

I would recommend at least once

The one time, we did Chefs table, was on the Allure

Food was incredible, the wine great and the service impeccable

There was 2 couples from Sweeden, that sang happy b-day to me, after finding out about it

It was fun and would do it again for a special occasion

I am wondering, to those that have done it multiple times, is it only one pour of wine per course?

I thought it would be more, like when we had dinner with the first officer and not having an empty wine glass 🤔

4 hours ago, forgotmyCCname said:

The wines we were served were not included in the beverage package and we recived a check for the wine for around $45 plus the tip for the maitre D/host. I cant remember if it was per person or for both of us. 

We do the Chef’s Table most cruises and really enjoy it.  At the end, you do get a “bill” for you to leave a tip if you want, but have never been charged for the wines.  That is what you pay for in the Chef’s Dinner fee.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, death_star said:

You can ask for seconds?!? Why have I never tried that. 

LOL - if you want to mortify the guests at your table, the chef will oblige. 🤣 There are enough courses to satisfy mostly everyone but I’ve seen someone ask for an extra dessert.  

1 hour ago, Seville2Cabo said:

We do the Chef’s Table most cruises and really enjoy it.  At the end, you do get a “bill” for you to leave a tip if you want, but have never been charged for the wines.  That is what you pay for in the Chef’s Dinner fee.  

That has been my experience as well. 

1 hour ago, Seville2Cabo said:

I reread that post three times before I (think) I connected the dots.  They were Star Class which includes all speciality dining including Chef’s Table and the Deluxe Alcohol Package.  Some of the wines served at Chef’s Table are not included in the Deluxe Alcohol package and I assume wines are not included in the specialty  dining a star class perk.  I believe they were charged only for those wines.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Hoppy2cruise said:

I reread that post three times before I (think) I connected the dots.  They were Star Class which includes all speciality dining including Chef’s Table and the Deluxe Alcohol Package.  Some of the wines served at Chef’s Table are not included in the Deluxe Alcohol package and I assume wines are not included in the specialty  dining a star class perk.  I believe they were charged only for those wines.

Isnt the wine pairing  included with the meal.

Now if you take a bottle to go you will be charged😁

10 minutes ago, jonbgd said:

Isnt the wine pairing  included with the meal.

Now if you take a bottle to go you will be charged😁

The wine pairing is included when you pay for Chef’s Table, but possibly not when it is a Star Class perk?  

We've done it 2x and enjoyed it.  We spoke with someone in advance about my food allergies (no fish) and my husband's restrictions and they were wonderful and very accommodating.   Never been charged extra for wine. 

1 hour ago, Hoppy2cruise said:

Star Class is usually charged $25 for the wine.

3 hours ago, jonbgd said:

I would recommend at least once

The one time, we did Chefs table, was on the Allure

Food was incredible, the wine great and the service impeccable

There was 2 couples from Sweeden, that sang happy b-day to me, after finding out about it

It was fun and would do it again for a special occasion

I am wondering, to those that have done it multiple times, is it only one pour of wine per course?

I thought it would be more, like when we had dinner with the first officer and not having an empty wine glass 🤔

Our entire table was poured as much wine as they wanted. My daughter found one that she really liked and drank that one the entire time. 

• Like 1