Vaccination poll

lux4me

We don't have a cruise booked until 2023 so it's not likely to matter much to us one way or the other. By then, I am hoping my kids can be vaccinated otherwise we would cancel, regardless of what the cruise requires. As long as we are vaccinated, I am fairly comfortable either way and it's not the policy exactly that would make is reconsider. it's more watch and wait for us to see how everything goes with the cruises that first start out. Vaccines or no, I want to see what port experiences are like and how often entire ships have to quarantine. I'd prefer if we could do no masks, but I could live with them if it means the cruising protocols are otherwise close to normal. If it seems there's always frequent/widespread quarantines, then I'll cancel. What happened with the Celebrity test cruise doesn't bother me the least and I could live (and peacefully vacation, ha) with that small risk. 

We are booked on three cruises right now, and if vaccinations are not required, we will cancel.  We do not relish the notion of being in a situation where a few, unvaccinated passengers suddenly test positive halfway into our cruise and we are, all of us on board, quarantined to our cabins and stranded for heaven only knows how long, international pariahs with no port willing to allow us to dock and disembark.  That is simply not my idea of a vacation.

• Like 6

I would cancel. I don't want to mask, socially distance, test, have someone test positive, quarantine and wait to be tested, have my cruise cancelled mid way through, etc. Too many variables even for a vaccinated cruise, much less unvaccinated.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Level six said:

To all those who would go.....would you then want a refund or to be accommodated if you had to quarantine in your cabin?  Or would you want to be compensated for missed ports that won't allow unvaccinated, or if someone onboard has covid?  I bet most of those who say they will go will be first in line at customer service asking for refunds. 

I mean, I am no longer fearful of getting covid.  But, I don't want to spend my vacation in my cabin, or wearing masks or missing ports.  Why even go?  

My honest opinion is that there would be just as many people on each side of this acting in the way you say.

For what it's worth, I would like unvaccinated kids to be allowed onboard (at least until they get offered the vaccination) for the reasons described above. If there were Covid issues then I would not expect any of those things that you suggest that I would.

I would expect the queue of people expecting that to be the usual suspect, unrelated to their view on whether the cruise should have allowed unvaccinated people onboard.

For those saying they would cancel because they don’t want their vacation ruined if someone tests positive, I totally understand. I don’t want my vacation ruined, either. However, the risk of that is clearly still there on a vaccinated cruise (although likely a smaller risk).  Have your feelings on cruising changed with the current incident on Celebrity?

• Like 1

Had I been one of the contact traced persons, yea, I would have really thought this sucks.  I understand the need for the process, but it can happen too easily.  A cruise can't be relaxed with this concern always present.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, FLcruisergrl said:

For those saying they would cancel because they don’t want their vacation ruined if someone tests positive, I totally understand. I don’t want my vacation ruined, either. However, the risk of that is clearly still there on a vaccinated cruise (although likely a smaller risk).  Have your feelings on cruising changed with the current incident on Celebrity?

My feelings have not changed.  I am willing to take the risk of enhanced protocols (social distancing, potential masks, potential quarantining, potential loss of port stops etc)  on a 100% vaccinated cruise.  I am not willing to take the risk of enhanced protocols if unvaccinated people are allowed on board.  Its not about eliminating COVID, its abut minimizing its impact.  Clearly the Millennium is an example of how the virus cannot be eliminated.  IMO, the Millennium incident is strong argument for 100% vaccinated cruises.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

My honest opinion is that there would be just as many people on each side of this acting in the way you say.

For what it's worth, I would like unvaccinated kids to be allowed onboard (at least until they get offered the vaccination) for the reasons described above. If there were Covid issues then I would not expect any of those things that you suggest that I would.

I would expect the queue of people expecting that to be the usual suspect, unrelated to their view on whether the cruise should have allowed unvaccinated people onboard.

I agree somewhat.  There will always be that no matter what the problem is. 

I would not be one because I will not cruise in the near future without fully vaccinated cruise. 

I asked this because I was scheduled on the last HA Asia cruise that was only able to dock at one port last FEB 2020.  I canceled before the sailing due to the risk of this sailing from Hong Kong to Shanghai.  All the people on my roll call said they would go no matter what and enjoy themselves........not expecting a thing from HA.

Then, when this happened, they all wanted a free cruise(which they got I think), a future free cruise, airfare, hotel, food, etc.  It was all the very same people who said they would go no matter what and thought I was crazy to cancel. They were the most vocal on CC about what the cruise line owed them, even though they knew the risks. 

So, my point is.  Go on the cruise if you want vaccinated or not. But don't expect all the other stuff.  You know the risks. 

2 hours ago, FLcruisergrl said:

For those saying they would cancel because they don’t want their vacation ruined if someone tests positive

For me that's the problem. The cruiseline must know what to do if there are positive cases onboard and they must tell me before I cruise. I don't want my vacation ruined.            

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ysolde said:

We are booked on three cruises right now, and if vaccinations are not required, we will cancel.  We do not relish the notion of being in a situation where a few, unvaccinated passengers suddenly test positive halfway into our cruise and we are, all of us on board, quarantined to our cabins and stranded for heaven only knows how long, international pariahs with no port willing to allow us to dock and disembark.  That is simply not my idea of a vacation.

My feeling exactly. We do have NCL cruises schedule this fall and early next year. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WarfRatWA said:

IMO, the Millennium incident is strong argument for 100% vaccinated cruises.

I need someone to help me understand the logic behind this statement since I've read it numerous times  (so not directing this post toward @WarfRatWA), but I'd like to understand this viewpoint.

It appears the Millennium had only 8 people onboard who were unvaccinated (all children) and those 8 children needed to go through extensive testing protocols (see exact Celebrity policy for boarding the Millennium in St. Martin at the end of this thread). 

Do people believe that the 2 positive cases are a result of the 8 non-vaccinated children? I would suggest the chance of this is extremely low. Instead, I would propose that it is far more likely the 2 positive cases came from interaction with the public on one of the port stops. 

I believe that the Millinnium's incident is a strong argument to suggest that we can't keep covid off ships regardless how strict policies are. For all intents and purposes, I believe the Millennium was "100% vaccinated". 

How cruise lines respond when covid is detected is the real key here. I would think the Millennium is a victory for those who want to cruise soon since it appears that even with covid found onboard, there was very little impact to the great majority of guests. Certainly, those temporarily quarantined due to close contact were negatively effected, but anyone sailing within the next few months certainly knew that was a risk prior to booking your cruise.

I understand not allowing a free for all of unvaccinated guests which would possibly make it necessary to wear masks. That's an entirelly different topic. I'm truly wondering how so many people believe there is a difference between Celebrities 95% policy and NCL's 100% policy? It seems the 100% policy offers nothing more than a false sense of security. Cruisers must realize that there is no absolute guarantee your ships will be covid free (especially with such rigorous testing policies in place).  

In other words, I don't see how keeping the 8 unvaccinated children off this sailing (therefore making it absolutely 100% vaccinated) would have had any effect on the outcome of the cruise. What am I missing?

Celebrity Boarding Requirements:

• Celebrity Cruises requires all guests age 16 and above to be fully vaccinated at least two weeks prior to sail date. As of August 1, 2021, all guests age 12 and older must be fully vaccinated. Proof of vaccination is required in the form of the original vaccination card. No photocopies or photos accepted.
  • All guests ages 2 and up must present a negative RT-PCR test taken 72 hours prior to arrival to St. Maarten. This requirement differs from St Maarten entry requirements which are 120 hours prior to departure. Name on test results must match those on government issued identification.
  • Unvaccinated children between the ages of 2-15 must complete an RT-PCR test at the terminal prior to boarding. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I need someone to help me understand the logic behind this statement since I've read it numerous times  (so not directing this post toward @WarfRatWA), but I'd like to understand this viewpoint.

It appears the Millennium had only 8 people onboard who were unvaccinated (all children) and those 8 children needed to go through extensive testing protocols (see exact Celebrity policy for boarding the Millennium in St. Martin at the end of this thread). 

Do people believe that the 2 positive cases are a result of the 8 non-vaccinated children? I would suggest the chance of this is extremely low. Instead, I would propose that it is far more likely the 2 positive cases came from interaction with the public on one of the port stops. 

I believe that the Millinnium's incident is a strong argument to suggest that we can't keep covid off ships regardless how strict policies are. For all intents and purposes, I believe the Millennium was "100% vaccinated". 

How cruise lines respond when covid is detected is the real key here. I would think the Millennium is a victory for those who want to cruise soon since it appears that even with covid found onboard, there was very little impact to the great majority of guests. Certainly, those temporarily quarantined due to close contact were negatively effected, but anyone sailing within the next few months certainly knew that was a risk prior to booking your cruise.

I understand not allowing a free for all of unvaccinated guests which would possibly make it necessary to wear masks. That's an entirelly different topic. I'm truly wondering how so many people believe there is a difference between Celebrities 95% policy and NCL's 100% policy? It seems the 100% policy offers nothing more than a false sense of security. Cruisers must realize that there is no absolute guarantee your ships will be covid free (especially with such rigorous testing policies in place).  

In other words, I don't see how keeping the 8 unvaccinated children off this sailing (therefore making it absolutely 100% vaccinated) would have had any effect on the outcome of the cruise. What am I missing?

Celebrity Boarding Requirements:

• Celebrity Cruises requires all guests age 16 and above to be fully vaccinated at least two weeks prior to sail date. As of August 1, 2021, all guests age 12 and older must be fully vaccinated. Proof of vaccination is required in the form of the original vaccination card. No photocopies or photos accepted.
  • All guests ages 2 and up must present a negative RT-PCR test taken 72 hours prior to arrival to St. Maarten. This requirement differs from St Maarten entry requirements which are 120 hours prior to departure. Name on test results must match those on government issued identification.
  • Unvaccinated children between the ages of 2-15 must complete an RT-PCR test at the terminal prior to boarding. 

You clearly ignored the the rest of my post.  I said "Its not about eliminating COVID, its about minimizing its impact.  I don't care were the covid came from.  They could of brought it onboard (which is the most likely cause,  given that it can take up to 7 days to test positive).  The point being, the effects of positive results are minimized from  a 100% vaccinated cruise.  I am hedging my bet by only cruising on a 100% vaccinated cruise.  Its not a difficult concept to understand, much like the efficacy of vaccines.

Edited by WarfRatWA
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, WarfRatWA said:

You clearly ignored the the rest of my post.  I said "Its not about eliminating COVID, its about minimizing its impact.  I don't care were the covid came from.  They could of brought it onboard (which is the most likely cause,  given that it can take up to 7 days to test positive).  The point being, the effects of positive results are minimized from  a 100% vaccinated cruise.  I am hedging my bet by only cruising on a 100% vaccinated cruise.  Its not a difficult concept to understand, much like the efficacy of vaccines.

Thank you for replying. I understand you want the least chance of covid possible. Of course, that makes sense on the surface.  I would propose that statistically, it is likely we will find very minimal differences in results between 95% and 100% vaccinated passengers and that insisting on 100% is likely nothing more than a 'feel good' solution. Of course, we can not entirely discount the benefit of 'feel good solutions in today's world.

I absolutely acknowledge there is some benefit to 100% in terms of risk mitigation, but I do not believe it is logical to take the extreme measure to cancel a cruise when NCL changes the policy to 95%. IMO, there will be a risk onboard regardless and suggest that perhaps it's better to accept that risk as reality before booking. 

Again, thank you for replying. I don't disagree with the premise of your argument, but I do respectfully disagree with the logic.

• Like 2

On 6/10/2021 at 7:29 PM, lux4me said:

Just wondering if the cruise lines don’t require everyone to be vaccinated…will you cancel?

I don't think it is this binary.  My first post-Covid cruise is slightly more than two months away on NCL.  Currently, the requirement is 100% vaccinated and I really don't see that changing.  That said, a lot can change in two months.  The virus could disappear faster than it has been or it could return with a vengeance.  If the former, I would likely still cruise.  If the later, I would be more concerned about 100% vaccinated.  I will also be watching the cruise lines' reactions to cases.  Quarantining those who test positive makes sense.  Attempting that silly contact tracing (which is fraught with flaws) does not.  I don't want to be quarantined because I happened to be in the same show, or on the same excursion bus, as some asymptomatic person. 

OP: is there some reason you didn't add an actual poll to this "poll" thread?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, WarfRatWA said:

I would like to see a straight poll on the subject.

Polls are fun. To be most accurate, a straight poll would have to include more than one choice, and it goes without saying that responses should change to correlate with covid cases.

It could go something like this:

I would only cruise if:

a. 100% of guests/crew are vaccinated.

b. 95% of guests/crew who can be vaccinated are, but children who can not be vaccinated can make up 5% if protocols for testing them are in place.

c. 95% of passengers are vaccinated (does not matter if 5% is adult/child)

d. No vaccination is required.

• Like 3