Vaccination poll

lux4me

I canceled a Mediterranean cruise I had booked on MSC and booked on Norwegian instead specifically because they are requiring vaccination. I do not want to wear masks and be limited to canned shore excursions because of unvaccinated people on board, nor do I want to risk being denied docking at a port or other such issues. Cruises are a particular no brainer but I will go out of my way to patronize any business that only allows vaccinated people in the door.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Sinbadssailors said:

I appreciate the reply, and understand your reasoning, even if I disagree.

Unfortunately, the Celebrity cases, in fully vaccinated passengers, means vaccination isn't the answer we hoped for. 

Asymptomatic vaccinated people, and yet those cases led to quarantine for them and the people on their shore excursion, until negative tests. 

Makes me wonder what the answer even is. Will it ever end? Doesn't look like it.

I disagree. A full-blown outbreak on the ship was avoided because everyone was vaccinated. It's unfortunate for the select few that had to be in isolation, but at least the cruise was only disrupted for a few passengers and not thousands of them.

• Like 8

I would cancel. Not out of worry for becoming ill myself (fully vaccinated) but the company I work for has a very strict time and attendance policy and I would most likely be terminated for being on vacation and if I have to quarantine. It’s just too much time away. My husband works for a government contractor and even they have loosened some restrictions, cruising is still a big fat NO. We tried for a late Alaska cruise. 😢

• Like 1

I think the key is going to be how cruise lines respond when a positive case is detected on board. For all intents and purposes, the Millennium was 100% vaccinated yet the virus still boarded. I don’t think we can keep the virus off ships.

The question becomes, not if the virus will board, but when. And when it does, how will the ship respond? I feel the millennium was a success. It doesn’t appear the ship over reacted. 

I would not board a ship that does not have a PCR back up testing lab. Antigen tests are preformed because they are cheaper, but have very high false positive results. Any guest will want the ability to have a PCR test ran in the event their antigen test is positive. It doesn’t appear to me all ships have this technology.

I think those who have cruises booked in the near future will be best served by realizing that no matter what precautions are taken, covid will get on some sailings. The best hope is that when it does board, quarantines are minimal and actual sickness is all but eliminated. Who knows- In the future, covid maybe onboard and the general population won’t even know (like a low number of noro cases).

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I disagree. A full-blown outbreak on the ship was avoided because everyone was vaccinated. It's unfortunate for the select few that had to be in isolation, but at least the cruise was only disrupted for a few passengers and not thousands of them.

So when does it end?

When does the testing end? Because as long as they're testing, there's always the chance of doing everything right, but becoming one of those "select few".

I hate the idea of spending a lot of money to be healthy, vaccinated, and confined to my cabin.

Much as I love cruising, I don't think I want to roll those dice.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Sinbadssailors said:

So when does it end?

When does the testing end? Because as long as they're testing, there's always the chance of doing everything right, but becoming one of those "select few".

I hate the idea of spending a lot of money to be healthy, vaccinated, and confined to my cabin.

I agree that anyone sailing now is taking a risk. How much of a risk is the question. As long as we test, cases will be detected (even on 100% vaccinated cruises). I fear many have been lured Into a false sense of security by the promise of 100% vaccinated.

With that said, I think the millennium was a success. The ship didn’t over react. Yes, close contacts were inconvenienced, and yes if you happened to be the two unlucky enough to test positive while vaccinated the trip sucked. But statistically the risk of being effected by positive cases on fully vaccinated ships seems quite low. Obviously, anyone sailing now has assessed this risk and determined it acceptable. I’m not there yet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

According to science, it would make no sense to cancel at this point. ~60% vaccination rate in US has proven to bring Covid to pre March 2020 levels. Shouldn’t expect any different results on a cruise ship. Combine limited ability to catch and spread covid with awareness we have today and new protocols, Diamond Princess days are over. 

Would be very curious to see what all the cancels would do in place of a cruise vacation?

Right, because all cruises only sail with American passengers and crew and only stop at American ports....

My husband and I are both vaccinated. We are booked on a small cruise line, American Cruise Line, for a New England cruise starting July 4th.The ship is sailing at 75% capacity. Maximum capacity is 200. They were requiring vaccinations, but changed to allowing non vaccinated passengers testing negative 4 days prior to the cruise, with additional testing during the trip. All staff and crew will be vaccinated. Masking is required in pubic areas, except for when seated for drinks or eating. Also for group tours. While we would prefer everyone to be vaccinated, we feel we can be safe by masking when not being able to socially distance. This is pretty much what life is like here at home.

We have renewed our Medjet insurance just in case.

If all goes well we have another cruise on the same ship in October.

And we are booked on the Regent Explorer in December. 

I would not cancel my cruise.  We are vaccinated and a majority of people are vaccinated.  I know that if I get Covid at this point, it will not kill me.  I am more likely to die in my daily commute from a car crash, and yet I still drive it twice a day.  There is never a "no risk" situation.  

It's time for us to live our lives while we are still here.

• Like 4

Not that it's ideal, but honestly being stuck in my cabin on a cruise doesn't even sound THAT bad. At least I still wouldn't have to cook, and still getting a break from work. But I also booked a balcony room specifically in the event that we do need to quarantine. Being stuck in an inside cabin with 2 kids would be a new kind of torture. 

• Like 2

On 6/11/2021 at 11:12 AM, mpk218 said:

Would NOT cancel .. Why ? we're vaccinated ..  Dont you trust the science ???  And I wont wear a mask or social distance .

I wont eat green eggs and Ham..   Ill go about my life un afraid of the Boogyman .    Peace 

I guess you are not listening to what vaccinated people say about why they will cancel. I will not cruise on any ship that does not have at least the 95/98% of vaccinated crew and passengers. Why? Certainly NOT because I fear for my health and safety. It has everything to do with not wanting to wear a mask on board anywhere, not having to distance on the ship, not having to deal with limited capacity in entertainment venues, maybe being traced to a positive person on board and having to quarantine until my Covid test comes back negative, possibly missing ports because of a Covid outbreak on board, etc, etc.

No, I do not believe there is a boogey man that is out to get me. I'm fully vaccinated. I feel protected from Covid and to a great extent, the variants that have emerged so far. Please, do not think that people who prefer an all vaxxed cruise are afraid of the disease. That is not it at all.

• Like 10

18 hours ago, Sinbadssailors said:

So when does it end?

I think it ends when all the testing, contact tracing etc. ends.

I am hoping these early cruises go well because having missed a cruise last April and recently booked a cruise for April next year we are ready to go. Being optimistic, we booked  hoping that by the time final payment is due the covid protocols will have ended. If not, we will cancel and not cruise until things are like they were before this pandemic started.  

It depends on the protocol needed.  More than likely, I would cruise regardless, but I would hesitate more if the protocols required masks and distancing.  I am vaxed and I've gotten used to things gradually going back to normal.  Fewer places require covid procedures for the vaxed, so I haven't had to wear a mask in a hot minute.  I'd hate to have to go back to that.  But that would be the only reason.  I would not be concerned with health and safety because of the unvaxed on the ship... 

On 6/13/2021 at 12:47 PM, Sweetnspicy said:

I would cancel. Not out of worry for becoming ill myself (fully vaccinated) but the company I work for has a very strict time and attendance policy and I would most likely be terminated for being on vacation and if I have to quarantine. It’s just too much time away. My husband works for a government contractor and even they have loosened some restrictions, cruising is still a big fat NO. We tried for a late Alaska cruise. 😢

This.  I'm a contractor that does not get leave.  If  I don't work, I don't get paid.  It's one thing to budget for taking time off but if I have to stay longer than expected, we'd take a financial hit we got stuck at sea or had to quarantine at a port location.  We'd cancel.  Plus we cruise so that we can enjoy the ports.   As things are right now, we would cancel (even that Celebrity ship was only 95% vaxed, not 100%).   We might change our minds after sailing starts back up again but we're in no hurry for now...