The Daily for Saturday Jun 12, 2021

richwmn

56 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

When Sam is released from the hospital will he go to a rehab center or do rehab while living at home?

Roy

He’s going to Kessler in W. Orange. It’s a great rehab, 

rated number  4 in the country and the best for 150 miles from here. He’ll probably be there for 2 weeks. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I make a similar recipe for Low Country Boil but in foil packets. I’ve made it twice in the past few weeks and Craig always wants it at the cabin. Here’s the recipe I use:  

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/katie-lee/low-country-boil-packets-2482370

That is similar to something we do with chicken.   Everyone gets their own packet with chicken, onion, potatoes and vegetable.   It is done on the grill.   We called it Hobo Chicken.

• Like 16

18 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@mamaofami Carol, Woo Hoo on the shot.  I know you've waited a long time for it.  Sorry that Sam couldn't be released as planned, but it is wise they erred on the side of caution with a headache.  Hope all is good, and he is released today.

@Seasick Sailor Joy, the pictures are lovely.  It looks like it was worth the wait.

With the exception of one cruise, we have rented cars and toured the island, even going around the northern tip a couple of times and once to Hana.  Of course, we also visited Iao Valley twice and Haleakala and the observatory.  The cruise when we did not rent a car in 2007 was roundtrip to Tahiti from LA, so we called at Lahaina twice.  The first time we did the Atlantis submarine, which was okay, but not like in the Caribbean.  On the return visit, we took the Sugar Cane Train, which is no longer running.  

We've been to Hawaii on several BHBs and on a couple of Princess ships.  Only once, in 2014, on Veendam was it too rough to tender into Lahaina.  We sate in the Crow's Nest and watched the waves and the one tender that went into port because a passenger had to be medically evacuated.  That was the cruise that we had to head back to San Diego the first sea day to get into range for the Coast Guard helicopter for a medical evacuation, and we were met in every port by an ambulance.  When it was obvious that the seas would not calm down, Captain Peter Bos (one of our favorites) opted to leave early and give us extra time in Ensenada.

All these pictures are from our various calls into Lahaina.

The charter/tour boat harbor

IMG_1211.thumb.JPG.89410728444c9238673d13f0b6fdb31f.JPG

P1040036.thumb.JPG.582af0c6133e144af0513a568e4011ca.JPG

And a view of the harbor from the second story of the Old Courthouse.  This was from Ruby Princess in 2016, and the line for the tender.  That is what you get when on a 3600 passenger ship.  We headed to the Pioneer Hotel outside cafe for a coke and fries until the line shortened.  And it got longer before it got shorter. 

DSC04532.thumb.JPG.110e8bddaba756dfda4850a32493beac.JPG

The old courtroom with it's displays in the Old Courthouse

DSC04530.thumb.JPG.1f54ed4cce89fc85059308b8899a6331.JPG

And I couldn't resist a picture of the banyan tree.  It made a nice shady place for the craft market.

IMG_1233.thumb.JPG.7165831a10356d0374d9f4bde74d9853.JPG

The Sugar Cane Train that took us up the coast.

IMG_1756.thumb.JPG.a77f863491e14e0fa061e776a8da0e05.JPG

IMG_1754.thumb.JPG.8ba8f2e5f6e369feef380c3605ccdb2f.JPG

IMG_1768.thumb.JPG.d787952058bfdc484289adcceef406e8.JPG

Scenes from our visits to Haleakala.  The state bird the nene.

DSC03083.thumb.JPG.edfbce7626761bf1d2cfc993e6e3128d.JPG

Haleakala Observatory.  The second picture is a new telescope under construction, and I think it is the solar telescope.

DSC04513.thumb.JPG.071bd997f69acc93a3371d4f651cee39.JPG

DSC04514.thumb.JPG.6ecaa1b078971b02e8b436a8649f1dd7.JPG

In the distance you can see Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa above the clouds on the Big Island.

DSC04515.thumb.JPG.db0d0fd189414eab22bccfad78c90512.JPG

A view of the crater

DSC04526.thumb.JPG.675f059143429290ee7d13038f5895dc.JPG

Looking up the coast from the tender dock..

DSC08572.thumb.JPG.36364452db61ed67674d0b2f2f421dcb.JPG

Maui as we sailed for the next port.

IMG_1771.thumb.JPG.aed3993cb74f428f5f037a567d5dfcbe.JPG

Lenda

I love all your photos.

Graham.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, dfish said:

That is similar to something we do with chicken.   Everyone gets their own packet with chicken, onion, potatoes and vegetable.   It is done on the grill.   We called it Hobo Chicken.

Sounds good!  What seasonings do you use?

• Like 9

Good morning, all! Jerky and peanut butter sounds like prepping for a road trip. Our province should be moving up one level in reopening soon, so road trips may be possible once more. Red roses are lovely, but as Jacqui has mentioned, the deer love them too.

Yesterday I made gluten free baklava with honey syrup made with homemade rose water infused with lemon peel and cardamom. The less said about the baklava the better, but that syrup is fit for the gods! I see a Bundt pan poke cake with that syrup in my future. 
Low country boil sounds like what DS and I had at The Crab Pot in Seattle. They dump it on your paper covered table and you both dig in. It was very messy and very, very good.
My cousin came through lung surgery with flying colours! She is feeling good, and said yesterday that she’s hoping to go home today. It seems a bit soon, but certainly indicates that she’s lost none of her spunk.
Today’s port is very familiar. DH and I spent our honeymoon at a resort near Lahaina, and returned there on a cruise about three years ago. Thank you to all who posted pictures, especially of the banyan tree. There was a local craft fair in the square under the banyan tree while we were there. It was beautiful there, and a lovely breeze by the ocean. A couple of blocks away from the water it got very hot though, and back to the waterfront we went.

Happy Saturday, and enjoy the weekend, although it would be more enjoyable on a BHB!

946C6B87-EDE3-4533-908D-D87AA4451D7A.thumb.jpeg.3de83baaea47e8d7e9fd6ef1ccc51a93.jpeg

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 27

Good morning from the sunny Pacific Northwest.  Should get to 75 today, then the rain comes back.  My mother was born in Lahaina in 1910.  Her parents lived in Siberia and one day saw a flyer encouraging people to migrate to Hawaii.  The neighbors tried to discourage them, telling them there are cannibals there.  They decided to do it anyway but when they got there they found that they were looking for people to work in the sugar cane fields.  My grandfather thought he could do better than that, so they moved to Honolulu, where he got a job with the Hawaiian Electric Company.  

Last year our DD sent us some red tea roses for Mother's Day.  I planted them in the back yard and they are in bloom again.

• Like 27

Thanks to everyone who posted pictures of Maui. They bring back great memories of six visits there over about 40 years....They are a real treat.

Edited by DFD1
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

For those in our Daily family who suffered thru my complaining... Our patio is finally finished! And a photo of our rose bush outside our bedroom.

0612210929_HDR.jpg

0612210933_HDR.jpg

0612210935.jpg

0612210935a.jpg

0612210936.jpg

0612210936a.jpg

0612210936b.jpg

Gorgeous!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Good news today about DB and his heart issues.  After more extensive testing and CT scans they feel he has no coronary artery anomaly so he does not need to go through the cardiac catheterization.  He can be treated in other ways for his issues with some pain and rapid heart rate.  His earlier stress test had shown abnormalities. So it was a good thing that the insurance company wanted further testing and approvals.  I'm so glad this didn't come back with bad news because we sure don't need it, do we?

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

My cousin came through lung surgery with flying colours! She is feeling good, and said yesterday that she’s hoping to go home today. It seems a bit soon, but certainly indicates that she’s lost none of her spunk.

That’s wonderful news 👍 

• Like 10

1 minute ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good news today about DB and his heart issues.  After more extensive testing and CT scans they feel he has no coronary artery anomaly so he does not need to go through the cardiac catheterization.  He can be treated in other ways for his issues with some pain and rapid heart rate.  His earlier stress test had shown abnormalities. So it was a good thing that the insurance company wanted further testing and approvals.  I'm so glad this didn't come back with bad news because we sure don't need it, do we?

YAY 🙂. You so needed some good news 😄 

• Like 11

28 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I make a similar recipe for Low Country Boil but in foil packets. I’ve made it twice in the past few weeks and Craig always wants it at the cabin. Here’s the recipe I use:  

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/katie-lee/low-country-boil-packets-2482370

Yum!  That’s similar to my seafood bake which has mussels in it.  I never knew it was Low Country Boil 😉. I’ve always called it Seafood Bake.  LOL.

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Some good news for you at last after a sad few weeks.

Take care.

Graham.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

That is great news.

• Like 7

We enjoyed many Hawaii, Kauai, Oahu visits over the years & when we finally visited Maui, we understood why so many people speak with love for the island. Especially as our Maui visit was on our most recent (and last ☹️) HAL adventure, April, 2019 on the Eurodam. Love Kona the most (a DD and family live in Kailua-Kona) but any chance to visit Hawaii is a blessing! 

• Like 18

5 hours ago, dfish said:

I filled out the form for HAL on our cancelled cruise to Norway in order to move the deposit over to a cruise next year.   According to my PCC, HAL will do that and it might take a month.   We did get Alaska booked and we are all looking forward to that.  

Debbie are you requesting the permitted transfer to a 2022 cruise at your 2021 pricing?  If you are, did your PCC mention if you would retain your perks & / or OBC?  Thanks if you know the answer.

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

He’s going to Kessler in W. Orange. It’s a great rehab, 

rated number  4 in the country and the best for 150 miles from here. He’ll probably be there for 2 weeks. 

Kessler is a great place. I took several courses their long ago while in graduate school.Great care, positive atmosphere and latest technology.

• Like 9

Good Morning.

It is looking like another day of rain and sunshine.

We have been to Lahaina twice.  Both times on the Zaandam.

These photos are from 2011.  I will post photos from our second visit in a separate post.

No photo description available.

We rented a car and visited the Maui Ocean Center.

Val

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

24 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Awesome news on both fronts!  I'll keep the cousin on the care list until she's discharged and take the brother off right away.

Roy

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, superoma said:

Good morning to all. Worked in the garden pulling weeds early today but now officially too hot and humid to continue.will finish early tomorrow. A ray of sunshine from my perennial  garden 

0DC8379A-24F9-4541-9DB2-F8EB379EC9D7.jpeg

This is what I am attempting in my front garden.  It is a work in progress.  So far I have started filling space with lavender, daylilies, poppies, shasta daisies, and various echinacae.  Not sure what else will find its way in there, but I am hoping that once the space fills up there will be less weeds.

Val

Edited by Marmot@Sea
spelling error
  • Like 15

Good morning, and thank you to all who organize and post on the Daily!  Lots of roses blooming here, I love peanuts (especially dry roasted) but not so much the cookies.  DH will not go near peanut butter, so it's all mine!  

We were on the island of Maui a long time ago on the beautiful Statendam, on our way to New Zealand.  We went to the Ocean Centre, too, and to the Io (?) Valley.  I remember that beautiful banyan tree, too, with the vendors keeping cool under it.

P1000061.thumb.JPG.aff8f4985cdc157dd173c3448a334275.JPG

IMGP0643.thumb.JPG.0fd4111ed0e607cca52879c01885e02c.JPG

IMGP0652.thumb.JPG.df128109d01d38a00db1a2eee883a548.JPG

IMGP0647.thumb.JPG.5abc37a5d8933c4c8c2b10c4a3fcedf0.JPG

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks all.  Love red roses,  carried them when I was married,   Peanut butter cookies not so much.  
We love Hawaii  and like @Norseh2o we like Kona the best!    You can see Haleakala on Maui from the big island, but Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa are on the big island.    We were lucky to meet a Canadian whose 731A2123-EAF3-465E-961B-7044EF3D0EF7.thumb.jpeg.b063cbb75b4d097f23c825c86f62556d.jpeghusband worked at the observatory,  and if you ever get a chance to visit at sunset and stay for the stars it is truly spectacular!   You are above the clouds! Even when upside down, apologies! 

98E3369F-DFE4-4C04-9D99-E82D6650C533.jpeg

7C1D1886-5418-46E1-8204-A705C92AE4D8.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 25