Protocols for Unvaccinated Guests on Freedom of the Seas cruises starting July 2

11 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Easy.........ONLY ALLOW vaccinated cruiser's for now.............Unvaccinated not allowed to cruise until we have Herd Immunity.

I know doesn't seem fair but not all things in life are fair but for now it's the safest way  for everyone.

Agree. Except, but for, the state of Florida. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Babr said:

If the cruise lines were allowed more leeway to set their policies, they might do things differently. The state of Florida seems to be making it difficult by insisting the unvaccinated be included from the  very beginning. Doing so puts the unvaccinated themselves at risk and diminishes the experience for everyone.

Pull up  the anchors and sail from other states. There is a large ocean out there  to sail from.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ace2542 said:

How will they know who is who in terms of vaccination once onboard, they don't really say? 

And what is to stop an unvaccinated person from bribing a crew member to get one of the wrist bands lets say? Or how do they know that crew members might not even try and sell the wristbands to unvaccinated passengers onboard the ship?  For what 100 bucks a pop? I can see that happening.

My solution is to stamp a non-permanent tattoo on the forehead of everyone who isn't vaccinated so we can avoid them on the ship.

DON

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, sugcarol said:

According to the TA site, the cost is 139.00 pp. 278.00 for 2 people.

They should also require that unvaccinated people be tested several times per cruise at $139 per person per test.  That will make the cost for the unvaccinated really add up.

DON

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

They should also require that unvaccinated people be tested several times per cruise at $139 per person per test.  That will make the cost for the unvaccinated really add up.

DON

Lets make them walk over hot coals too to board the ship...........

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Easy.........ONLY ALLOW vaccinated cruiser's for now.............Unvaccinated not allowed to cruise until we have Herd Immunity.

I know doesn't seem fair but not all things in life are fair but for now it's the safest way  for everyone.

Vaccinated only is the safest way. Now a quick explanation of herd immunity from an old biologist who never imagined herd immunity ever becoming a popular term amongst the cruise crowd:)

Herd immunity refers to the ability of a herd (group of animals, organisms, fish, people, plants) to basically reduce a virus to 0 transmission and hence its elimination. In my old biological teachings, this is usually achieved at somewhere between 95% to 99% of the "herd" having gained immunity (either through acquiring and recovering or having a natural or previous immunity), depending on how easily transmitted the virus is. With covid, there is some natural immunity, some acquired immunity, and immunity from vaccines. So you hear we will obtain herd immunity at an estimate of 70% vaccinated, the remaining 25-29% required for heard immunity comes from natural or acquired. Keep in mind this is for the "herd" comprising the United States (yes I know there will be non-US cruising, just using US as example of representative herd). When a ship embarks a passenger load, a new "herd" is created of just those on the ship (ignoring port calls..that just adds new contacts to the herd). The new herd is not guaranteed to have the same representative makeup of the great herd, you may have 400 people on board from an area that only has a local 50% immunity. So although the US (or whatever population populates your ship)  may have acquired herd immunity, the sub-population on the ship may not. The only way to guarantee that is through vaccinations, as the percentage of immunity through natural or acquired is unknown, just estimated. So vaccinations really should be required for a while after herd immunity is reached on a national level.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Catnip said:

So in your opinion,  anyone that gets covid that is unvaxx will end up either hospitialized or dead?

I think that the issue is that Covid on a ship affects more than the Vaxxed or Unvaxxed people who get sick. Collateral damage. Contact tracing will cause a large number of people to be isolated and tested once or twice. Ruining other people’s vacay. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

I think that the issue is that Covid on a ship affects more than the Vaxxed or Unvaxxed people who get sick. Collateral damage. Contact tracing will cause a large number of people to be isolated and tested once or twice. Ruining other people’s vacay. 

If that proves to be true, it would not be following CDC guidance.  Which advises/directs (whatever term you prefer), vaccinated do not need quarantine or testing unless presenting symptoms.  Even when vaccinated were exposed to a positive case.  Now, cruise line protocol could certainly require a higher level of response, but it is not based on CDC standards.

6 minutes ago, logan25 said:

If that proves to be true, it would not be following CDC guidance.  Which advises/directs (whatever term you prefer), vaccinated do not need quarantine or testing unless presenting symptoms.  Even when vaccinated were exposed to a positive case.  Now, cruise line protocol could certainly require a higher level of response, but it is not based on CDC standards.

According to a judge in FL the CDC  has no say in the matter.

2 minutes ago, broberts said:

According to a judge in FL the CDC  has no say in the matter.

I responded to previous poster speculating that positive cases onboard a cruise would necessitate isolation and testing of vaccinated passengers.  Had nothing to do with CDC actual control.

14 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

It doesn’t say if this is for each test or for all of them. I hope it’s for each, otherwise 178.00 really isn’t that much. 

• The per person cost for these antigen tests is $178 and will be applied to your onboard folio. 

I am not sure about that.  My wife read it as a total of $178 per person for all the tests for the cruise for each unvaccinated passenger.  I was not sure if that was the cost per test.  This will require clarification.

2 hours ago, sugcarol said:

According to the TA site, the cost is 139.00 pp. 278.00 for 2 people.

I have seen one price for RCCL cruises and a different one (slightly higher) for Celebrity cruises.  The RCCL one mentioned 2 tests - pre-boarding and before disembarking.  The Celebrity one added a 3rd test mid-cruise as well.

3 hours ago, MikeMSD said:

I really doubt that a crew member is going to risk being fired and barred from working again for $100. But also, they're punching a hole in their SeaPass card and probably notating it on their file. It says that cards must be scanned before entering a venue. I'm sure if someone shows up with a wristband and they scan their card with a hole in it showing they are unvaccinated, there are going to be some pointed questions as to how they came upon that wristband.

And who is gonna catch you. No one once you  cut me in on the reception? 50/50 split 200 bucks a pop. You have a partner now we just doubled our price. Do 10 people it is a grand a trip. How are they gonna catch us? I have the access on the computer and you have the approach to the people.  Like those people are going to report you? All you have to do is sell it and get them to come to me. I issue the new hole punched keycard updating the computer with my access and bob is your uncle as they say. Full access to the ship for the 2 unvaccinated customers from New York  😲😯😮😈

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

LOL, the things y’all come up with...

And the things people will do for money as well. Two staff members one with computer access one to make the approach could do it you know. Could make a lot of money or try to. And to people from crew sourcing at 200 bucks a pop doing 10 a cruise with 50/50 split would be a heck of a lot of money.

• Haha 2

We are  vaccinated and so glad  that we're not going on any cruises for the long time future;  This is going to be a nightmare for any cruises that are going out of Florida and probably Texas too  by reason of the MAGA Governors who don't want to allow proof of vaccinations, that falls under their heading as "taking away more freedoms and rights" , I'm still searching for my lost rights, etc.  If an outbreak takes place, hopefully Covid and not violence the cruise industry could suffer significantly and we'll all suffer the consequences.  Good Luck to all who have the courage to go and have a safe trip.

10 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

And the things people will do for money as well. Two staff members one with computer access one to make the approach could do it you know. Could make a lot of money or try to. And to people from crew sourcing at 200 bucks a pop doing 10 a cruise with 50/50 split would be a heck of a lot of money.

Are you that guy that just robbed the 7/11 down the street from us??

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Won't work as far as if an infection is onboard. Designated areas won't be able to contain it should it occur.

The only guarantee to 100% prevent infection is to never leave the house.  The goal on a cruise ship is to have reasonable protocols in place to 1) reduce risk of transmission as much as possible, while 2) creating a reasonable vacation experience, and 3) conducting enough business to stay in business.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

And who is gonna catch you. No one once you  cut me in on the reception? 50/50 split 200 bucks a pop. You have a partner now we just doubled our price. Do 10 people it is a grand a trip. How are they gonna catch us? I have the access on the computer and you have the approach to the people.  Like those people are going to report you? All you have to do is sell it and get them to come to me. I issue the new hole punched keycard updating the computer with my access and bob is your uncle as they say. Full access to the ship for the 2 unvaccinated customers from New York  😲😯😮😈

And that is why companies employ secret shoppers to not only check on businesses' customer and product quality, but also to catch fraud.

I did it for several years when the children were young. It was the perfect set up to walk into a store with a stroller. Nobody suspects a mom with a toddler is actually taking notes.

I did everything from check the time it took from an order to pick up at a drive up window to purchasing a new car and seeing if the sales people followed the rules.  I was always getting emails from the companies I was contracted with asking if anyone was taking a trip on such and such airline, hotel, or cruise ship.

Edited by cured
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

THEN DONT CRUISE! 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

THEN DONT CRUISE! 

90% vaccinated, 10% unvaxxed? Wonder who the demographic Royal Caribbean is going after?

Pretty sure they are the ones conveying the message loud and clear to the unvaxxed: DON'T CRUISE yet

• Like 5

On 6/18/2021 at 2:54 PM, Jimbo said:

Hope someone has video's of this..........Nice $136 charge before stepping on the ship and then all the restrictions start. Better opting out looking for a land vacation.

I'm sure that is what Royal  is hoping for?

So is it like a game of chicken at the pier, to see who goes first.........Royal can not ask you if you had a vaccine.........what do you do just walk up to check in and show that you got vaccinated before anyone says anything to each other?

What a joke ! all because of Desantis.

DeSantis has created two classes of people on cruise ships. This is the exact opposite of what his goal was for this law that he crafted. When is he going to realize that?

• Like 2

On 6/18/2021 at 3:12 PM, Jimbo said:

Isn't that against what Desantis is saying he wants

No. I don't believe it is. DeSantis does not want the vaccine to be REQUIRED to enter any business. That is not what is happening here. Un-vaxxed people or those who do not wish to produce their proof of vaccination, CAN enter a cruise ship BUT they will have restrictions, have to wear masks when indicated and social distance. Un-vaxxed people are not being denied entry to the ship. They will, however, be denied access to certain venues that are designated for vaxxed only.

On 6/18/2021 at 3:12 PM, Jimbo said:

Isn't that against what Desantis is saying he wants

DeSantis can go whistle Dixie for all I care. He has created a huge problem for the cruise lines and I am not a fan after what he has done. His stance has nothing to do with maintaining a safe environment for crew and passengers on a cruise ship. I could go on and on but will stop now before I have to go to the naughty room.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There's a simple fix to the desantis created crisis for cruising.  Cancel all the initial cruising out of Florida and move the ships to States which are cooperating with the Science requirements of the CDC and the Cruise Industry.

After the bugs are worked out of the system, then restart out of Florida if they are cooperative.  We all want to get back to cruising and the Florida way seems to point to disaster again.

• Like 1