Unvaccinated Due to Doctor's Advice - A Strategy?

ricka47

My wife and I contracted Covid on the last Riviera sailing out of Miami.  I am vaccinated but she is not due to advice from her doctor. She has had severe allergic reactions in the past and he says that she simply does not need the vaccine as we both can prove that we have anti-bodies. Plus, there is a very good chance that the vaccine will send her to the hospital.

I’m hoping that between now and when our final payment is due (August 11 for the October 18th Riviera sailing) that Oceania/NCL offers some kind of exception for Covid survivors.

Plus, I show on our invoice that we have the “Travelers Assurance Program” which I think allows us to cancel up to 48 hours and receive FCC for what we paid.

So, my strategy is to hope that they have an exception policy before our final payment is due. But, if not, go ahead and pay it with the plan of using the “Travelers Assurance Program” if there is no change. Is this a good way to go? Or should we just cancel now and let the dust settle on ever-changing rules?

Edited by ricka47

Has your wife been tested recently for the Antibodies?

If she did not have the vaccine how does she know  she would have a reaction?

My niece is allergic to most drugs  but did not have a problem with the pfizer shot

In another forum people that had covid  do not have antibodies  after  6mths

I would just cancel your cruise  & book on a line that allows less than 100% vaccinated

JMO

• Like 4

Unless you get the "exception policy" in writing, Oceania could ding you at check-in and your wife could be denied boarding, but at least you have some kind of evidence for financial restitution.  I would assume an antibody test report taken two weeks before embarkation would suffice as evidence of anti-bodies.  You are literally at the mercy of Oceania.  Good Luck!  

19 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Has your wife been tested recently for the Antibodies?

If she did not have the vaccine how does she know  she would have a reaction?

My niece is allergic to most drugs  but did not have a problem with the pfizer shot

In another forum people that had covid  do not have antibodies  after  6mths

I would just cancel your cruise  & book on a line that allows less than 100% vaccinated

JMO

We both have antibodies as of last week. The 6-month statement is not true as we are at about 15 months. Due to past allergic reactions, her doctor strongly advises against it.

This is a special anniversary cruise and we obtained a good price, perks, and some OBC for catching COVID on the last cruise. So, we're holding off on cancelling until it's clear that we have no other option.

1 minute ago, deadzone1003 said:

Unless you get the "exception policy" in writing, Oceania could ding you at check-in and your wife could be denied boarding, but at least you have some kind of evidence for financial restitution.  I would assume an antibody test report taken two weeks before embarkation would suffice as evidence of anti-bodies.  You are literally at the mercy of Oceania.  Good Luck!  

Yeah, we would have to get something in writing well ahead of time. Showing up at the port (in Istanbul) with just our anti-body results in not a good idea for sure!

15 minutes ago, ricka47 said:

Yeah, we would have to get something in writing well ahead of time. Showing up at the port (in Istanbul) with just our anti-body results in not a good idea for sure!

As disappointing as it may be for you, there will be a shipload of crew and passengers (including us) who were promised a 100% vaccination requirement. Can you imagine the issues/anger/etc if O now makes exceptions?

AND the unlikelihood that you still have antibodies this long after Covid is no consolation (particularly to a passenger demographic full of vulnerable individuals). It is very surprising that any reputable MD would suggest your wife doesn’t need the vaccine.

As a first course of action, I suggest that you seek out an infectious disease (and or epidemiology) MD or clinic (preferably one affiliated with a university teaching hospital). Other “allergies” may be a non-issue here.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like a case of "get-there-itis" which never ends well.  Especially trying to embark in Turkey which likely has its own set of protocols over and above those provided by Oceania.  Have searched for some time and been unable to find any reputable medical institution claiming that the vaccine should not be taken.  In fact, all recommend anyone with any kind of underlying or pre-condition get vaccinated.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Sounds like a case of "get-there-itis" which never ends well.  Especially trying to embark in Turkey which likely has its own set of protocols over and above those provided by Oceania.  Have searched for some time and been unable to find any reputable medical institution claiming that the vaccine should not be taken.  In fact, all recommend anyone with any kind of underlying or pre-condition get vaccinated.

Absolutely.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ricka47 said:

We both have antibodies as of last week. The 6-month statement is not true as we are at about 15 months.

Of course, there may be different outcomes for different folks. That said, the consensus of the scientific community is that the staying power of the antibodies is a great unknown for now.

Sorry, but I would not want you on the same ship as me without your having been vaccinated. That is part of the reason why I recommend that you see an infectious disease and/or epidemiologist MD at a university hospital. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ricka47 said:

We both have antibodies as of last week. The 6-month statement is not true as we are at about 15 months. Due to past allergic reactions, her doctor strongly advises against it.

This is a special anniversary cruise and we obtained a good price, perks, and some OBC for catching COVID on the last cruise. So, we're holding off on cancelling until it's clear that we have no other option.

It does vary.  We (both) had one of the first COVID cases and our antibodies were gone within 9 months.  We have since been vaccinated.

• Like 2

Most of us who have a booking are planning to evaluate the situation at final payment time.  Each cruise line appears to be doing things differently and the protocols are changing.  It is hard dealing with the unknown but hopefully it will work out as more time passes.

• Like 3

I think your issue might be more complicated then just dealing with "O"s policy.  Your cruise involves quite a few different ports in countries that have their own requirements.  Many countries will not accept an unvaccinated visitor without a recent test plus quarantine.   It may be that O's hands would be tied because of requirements of one or more countries on your itinerary.   If you do not want to cancel you may want to give O a call and discuss your situation.   As to antibody tests, that is not relevant for any port of which we are aware.  Some will accept a physicians note attesting to a person having recovered from COVID within the prior 6 months but apparently that would not be helpful in your situation.

Hank

• Like 1

And the problem can't be solved merely by staying on the ship.  Windstar just discovered that BVI will not let their ships dock because some of the crew aren't vaxxed.  They offered to keep them onboard:  no dice.  Two cruises had to be canceled while they divert to San Juan to get J&J shots.

• Like 1

I think for at least a good few years, or until a safer vaccine is found for your wife the zero sum of only allowing vaccinated passengers is going to be a block. Passengers expect

everyone to be vaccinated, and I am sure most if not all countries will expect that as well. 

• Like 1

In the UK your wife would have been offered the Astrazenica vaccine as v. very limited anaphylaxis. Pfizer had a higher risk. Surely the J&J should be safe! Have the vaccination at a hospital near ER. Anaphylaxis is easily managed with access to correct drugs and skills. 

I read that having COVID with one vaccination  dose provides good coverage ( whilst waiting for 2nd vaccination). Also younger people arguably may maintain antibody cover longer than older folk with poorer immune systems. More reason to speak to another doctor and get suitable vaccination. 

MSC is running cruises with unvaccinated people.  An option? Am told their Suite Class is great. 

Good luck. 

• Like 1

On 6/24/2021 at 12:26 PM, ricka47 said:

Keep in mind that just because she has antibodies now, doesn't mean that she will in October.  You may not really know for sure one way or the other ahead of time, even if O were to allow it.  

I questioned our TA about the Oceania policy.  She told us that O fully intends to hold to the 100% vaccinated policy through December 2022.  This policy will allow us to sail with Oceania and we fully expect O to keep their word on this matter.

The subject of antibodies is of little value.  Antibodies from the disease are continually diminishing.  Even the antibodies she has today may not be at a significant titer level to protect her and by October that titer will be even less.  

But here is the final problem with antibodies.  The antibodies you both currently have offer protection for the specific strain with which you all were originally infected.  Those antibodies offer NO protection from the many variants now circling the globe.  Only vaccines offer protection from other variants/strains.  And then in varying degrees. (Choose carefully)

Bottom line:  Good price and perks would seem to be paltry offerings compared to the risk incurred that could threaten your sweetheart and future anniversaries.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

You all know who I speak to often and I trust him when he says 100% vaccinated..he just told me again yesterday....and it is still in the courts,,

By the Way the feedback on the poll that was taken down was much appreciated..

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

You all know who I speak to often and I trust him when he says 100% vaccinated..he just told me again yesterday....and it is still in the courts,,

By the Way the feedback on the poll that was taken down was much appreciated..

Jancruz1

Please thank "him" for us.

• Like 4

But here is the final problem with antibodies.  The antibodies you both currently have offer protection for the specific strain with which you all were originally infected.  Those antibodies offer NO protection from the many variants now circling the globe.  Only vaccines offer protection from other variants/strains.  And then in varying degrees. (Choose carefully)

Pfizer and Moderna both state, as do epidimiologists, that their vaccinations are effective against all variants including Delta and Delta-plus.

36 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Pfizer and Moderna both state, as do epidimiologists, that their vaccinations are effective against all variants including Delta and Delta-plus.

Let's  hope  so as  they are  ramping up here  in Canada

If Oceania strays from it's 100% vaccinated policy for passengers and crew they'll be losing my business. 

Assuming that a doctor actually advised someone not to get vaccinated, the correct action is to stay home.  Anything else is just selfish and irresponsible. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1