Judge dismisses lawsuit brought against RCCL

On 7/14/2021 at 12:59 PM, Ashland said:

The law does at times reach the right decision.

No one should feel sorry for the grandpa...it was completely his fault no matter how some have tried to spin this !!! 

Agreed. He needs to have dumb a$$ written across his forehead. It's just mind boggling that he did that.

• Like 3

I do think the family signed with the lawyer when they weren't "in their right mind", and I'm going to assume that contract would have had them pay for his (and his employee's time) if they decided to drop the suit before it went to court.  That's why I think they never dropped the suit.  

I'm guessing (hoping) an appeal won't actually be filed.  The claim that it will is just "lawyer speak". 

2 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I do think the family signed with the lawyer when they weren't "in their right mind", and I'm going to assume that contract would have had them pay for his (and his employee's time) if they decided to drop the suit before it went to court.  That's why I think they never dropped the suit.  

If I remember correctly the mom was a district attorney and the father was in law enforcement, perhaps it was a sheriff.  They may have been distraught but both of their minds should have known their way around the legal system and what type of agreement to sign with a lawyer. 

2 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I'm guessing (hoping) an appeal won't actually be filed.  The claim that it will is just "lawyer speak". 

I hope it won’t be either.  This family has been through enough, for no fault of anyone other than her father in-law. 

I was an avid reader and poster on this forum's threads when this needless situation occurred. I'm relieved and thankful Royal Caribbean has been found not responsible for the death of Cloe, may she RIP.

I found myself "liking" many posts as I read through this thread. I see everyone who has posted so far is in agreement with the decision of the judge. We all finally agree on something!

• Like 3

If you want to take risks , you should do it with your own life , not someone elses.

If you want to drive really fast , do it with nobody else in the car , or go sky diving. 

You should not subject others to your reckless behavior .

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

If I remember correctly the mom was a district attorney and the father was in law enforcement, perhaps it was a sheriff.  They may have been distraught but both of their minds should have known their way around the legal system and what type of agreement to sign with a lawyer. 

I hope it won’t be either.  This family has been through enough, for no fault of anyone other than her father in-law. 

Oh, I totally agree they "should have known better" before signing with the ambulance chaser.  But, I'd rather believe they really couldn't get out of the contract than they really thought Royal was at fault. 

34 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Oh, I totally agree they "should have known better" before signing with the ambulance chaser.  But, I'd rather believe they really couldn't get out of the contract than they really thought Royal was at fault. 

I understand the impulse to not think the worst of the parents, but they've gone "above and beyond" just allowing the lawsuit to go forward because they couldn't get out of the contract they signed in a moment of weakness.

They did televised media interviews where they went on and on about how they want the cruise ships fixed so they're not so dangerous so this doesn't happen to someone else's child, etc., completely glossing over the fact that in spite of hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of children having cruised on ships designed exactly this same way for a few decades, nobody ever once has dropped a child out an open window on a cruise ship.... until Grandpa Anello did it.   

Edited by brillohead
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I understand the impulse to not think the worst of the parents, but they've gone "above and beyond" just allowing the lawsuit to go forward because they couldn't get out of the contract they signed in a moment of weakness.

They did televised media interviews where they went on and on about how they want the cruise ships fixed so they're not so dangerous so this doesn't happen to someone else's child, etc., completely glossing over the fact that in spite of hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of children having cruised on ships designed exactly this same way for a few decades, nobody ever once has dropped a child out an open window on a cruise ship.... until Grandpa Anello did it.   

Right.  You want to make a bet the lawyer made them do that?   I honestly have no idea how these kind of contracts are written.  But saying "we believe grandpa is at fault" basically submarines the case.   I'm just guessing.  

I've thought since the start RCI should have zero culpability, it was all the grandfather.  I'm disappointed the parents, who have some legal background, would get suckered in by an ambulance chaser to begin with.

That poor little baby girl could of banged on the glass , in a bar smoking area , till the cow's come home ... but a step grandfather picked her up after already leaning over a handrail and ....

RiP little Angel 🙏

21 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

That poor little baby girl could of banged on the glass , in a bar smoking area , till the cow's come home ... but a step grandfather picked her up after already leaning over a handrail and ....

RiP little Angel 🙏

She could have banged on the glass [in the same spot] at floor level.

5 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

? Is that not what I said.? no one picked here up at the hockey game ? 

FYI

Homicide - Homicide is the act of one human killing another. A homicide requires only a volitional act by another person that results in death, and thus a homicide may result from accidental, reckless, or negligent acts even if there is no intent to cause harm.

Murder - Murder is the unlawful killing of another human without justification or valid excuse, especially the unlawful killing of another human with malice aforethought.

Homicide was the most likely the proper charge.  Hard to prove malice aforethought.

On 7/16/2021 at 10:39 AM, Another_Critic said:

Like she did in the photos the family shared of her doing so at hockey game.

On 7/19/2021 at 6:56 AM, matj2000 said:

I just cannot understand why they would leave a window open in a "children's play area'..

Have you read the threads and seen the pictures and such?

It was NOT a children's play area.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, SRF said:

Have you read the threads and seen the pictures and such?

It was NOT a children's play area.

Methinks the previous poster was speaking tongue in cheek (or at least that's how I took it).

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Methinks the previous poster was speaking tongue in cheek (or at least that's how I took it).

Ya , i think so too .

I enjoy reading Matt`s posts . Always thought provoking .🙂

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/14/2021 at 8:37 AM, jamon said:

Just read that lawsuit brought by family of daughter who died when falling out of window, while being held by grandfather was dismissed by judge. Tragic event, but decision seems to be the right one....they say they will appeal.

looks like they did and some Judge said OK

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2023/07/11/court-allows-toddler-dropped-through-cruise-ship-window-lawsuit-resume

This is nuts.  Exactly what liability can they possibly assign to Royal?   We all know who is at fault and it's not Royal.  The family ought to be suing the step-grandfather if anyone at all.

• Like 10

I don't mind saying it at all....money grubbers with no case.  Takes some cheek to exploit and profit from the death of your own child.  But doesn't surprise me...that's the world we live in now.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 8