Your Thoughts On Towels!

janny444

Hi....bit of a different question but what are your thoughts on the towels in the bathroom...the ones provided for the shower/bath specifically.

I personally find that the towels provided on cruise ships.... and hotels.... are usually not bath towels but bath sheets...thick....white(ish).....BIG....and for me unwieldy. Even lifting them never mind trying to dry myself with them leaves me " shattered"....I just can't manhandle them.....why do cruises/hotels think that we need such big cumbersome things when normal bath towels of a reasonable thickness will suffice....would have thought that the saving on laundering costs would have been a consideration.

At home I don't use cheepo towels...Sheridan normal bath size ...which are more than adequate even for my hubby. When on holiday in this country I have resorted to taking my own micro fibre towels which gets the job done but not able to do that when cruising.

• Like 2

I agree, bath sheets are almost as bad as duvet covers for handling. I bought a microfibre normal sized one and take that. Packs really small and amazingly absorbent.

Thinks, where did I put it 🤔

edit - found it, might buy another as well 🙂

Edited by davecttr

1 minute ago, MX-Drew said:

Really! A discussion on towels, the pandemic must be over. 🤣  🤣🤣   🤣🤣   🤣🤣   🤣🤣   🤣🤣 

No it hasn't, don't throw the towel in just yet :classic_wink:

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

Really! A discussion on towels, the pandemic must be over. 🤣  🤣🤣   🤣🤣   🤣🤣   🤣🤣   🤣🤣 

Don't be too hasty. The time to celebrate is when this disscusion deviates to 'Face cloths or Flannels?'😁

Avril

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, janny444 said:

Hi....bit of a different question but what are your thoughts on the towels in the bathroom...the ones provided for the shower/bath specifically.

I personally find that the towels provided on cruise ships.... and hotels.... are usually not bath towels but bath sheets...thick....white(ish).....BIG....and for me unwieldy. Even lifting them never mind trying to dry myself with them leaves me " shattered"....I just can't manhandle them.....why do cruises/hotels think that we need such big cumbersome things when normal bath towels of a reasonable thickness will suffice....would have thought that the saving on laundering costs would have been a consideration.

At home I don't use cheepo towels...Sheridan normal bath size ...which are more than adequate even for my hubby. When on holiday in this country I have resorted to taking my own micro fibre towels which gets the job done but not able to do that when cruising.

Why can’t you take your own towels when cruising?  Especially if there are self service laundry facilities. 

17 minutes ago, sandancer said:

Why can’t you take your own towels when cruising?  Especially if there are self service laundry facilities. 

Mmmmm....suppose I could but my hubby complains now about the amount of "stuff" I take on a cruise/holiday ....if I was taking extra luggage....bath towels ....he may decide to leave me at home!

3 minutes ago, janny444 said:

Mmmmm....suppose I could but my hubby complains now about the amount of "stuff" I take on a cruise/holiday ....if I was taking extra luggage....bath towels ....he may decide to leave me at home!

That’s the best thing about cruising from Southampton. I drive my DH totally nuts when we are flying. I’m constantly rearranging the luggage and weighing it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, janny444 said:

I agree with you and thought I was the only one who doesn’t like bulky, heavy and fluffy towels. I don’t mind the size as such, but they are very heavy in a confined space. We use bath towels at home, not bath sheets. 

12 minutes ago, sandancer said:

That’s the best thing about cruising from Southampton. I drive my DH totally nuts when we are flying. I’m constantly rearranging the luggage and weighing it. 

Even though we only cruise from Southampton now, we travel down by coach....not car....so are limited to how many cases we can take and I couldn't possibly leave any clothes at home....the ones that you take just in case but never use....they would certainly be the ones that I would  definitely need ! 😃

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

I'm amazed this thread is still going.  I thought it would have dried up long ago. 

I might just be able to wrap this up! ....pool towels are certainly not thick and fluffy, but not sure of the size. Would they do for janny444, perhaps??

FiL used to work for a well known shipping company ( engineer) and during the voyages to Australia they used to stop off at Bombay (Mumbai.) When there he used to stock up with shirts, towels & even boiler suits. The quality of the cotton was first class. The towels were usually Binny or Bombay Manu & Dying Co.  When we were married (early ‘80s) we were given some of the towels- they were fairly soft but not ridiculously fluffy, but had incredibly good drying capabilities. We’ve only recently got rid of some originals which must have been bought late ‘60s early ‘70s, so they were certainly durable. P&O used to supply Binny towels in cabins in the ‘80s then changed to a German supplier in later years. 
Not a fan of mega fluffy towels, I’m afraid. Good drying qualities are more important to me. 
Just away to put on my anorak😂

Edited by Ranchi
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ranchi said:

FiL used to work for a well known shipping company ( engineer) and during the voyages to Australia they used to stop off at Bombay (Mumbai.) When there he used to stock up with shirts, towels & even boiler suits. The quality of the cotton was first class. The towels were usually Binny or Bombay Manu & Dying Co.  When we were married (early ‘80s) we were given some of the towels- they were fairly soft but not ridiculously fluffy, but had incredibly good drying capabilities. We’ve only recently got rid of some originals which must have been bought late ‘60s early ‘70s, so they were certainly durable. P&O used to supply Binny towels in cabins in the ‘80s then changed to a German supplier in later years. 
Not a fan of mega fluffy towels, I’m afraid. Good drying qualities are more important to me. 
Just away to put on my anorak😂

Aaaahhhh....Binny towels....my mother used these towels. last year I managed to find some....brand new...on Ebay. Not overly large but my goodness more than adequate for drying oneself after a bath/shower....goes to show that " size doesn't matter" 😁

binny.jpg

On 7/24/2021 at 8:16 AM, janny444 said:

When on holiday in this country I have resorted to taking my own micro fibre towels which gets the job done but not able to do that when cruising.

I'm sure a microfibre towel laid flat would fit in the pocket on the lid of the case. You can also use the smaller towel P&O provide to dry off. 

As we don't have robes in the cabins we use I like the big towels. Dry off with the smaller one which is also easier changed, then wrap up in the other as said before and have a cuppa.