The Daily for Friday July 30, 2021

richwmn

1 hour ago, durangoscots said:

Evidently the reaction to cilantro is genetic. I am fine with it myself, but have a friend who can't stand it. I really can not even taste it.

Interesting!  Some people are genetically able to taste more,   My DS and self sometimes find that some shrimp taste off, while DH  says they’re fine.  

• Like 7

3 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

Actually, they left 2 dogs when they moved.  The landlord took the dogs to the local vet (we don't have a Humane Society in our small town) and he checked the dogs out and put out a sign "dogs need homes".  Well, we didn't see the sign until the afternoon, so by the time we stopped in, the other dog had been adopted.   My husband said that if we had seen both dogs, we would have adopted both dogs.  We would not have split them up.  

Our DS had something similar happen - they have a basement suite that was rented to what they thought was a nice family.  Except for the fact that he saw them on his security cameras, sneaking out in the middle of the night with their bags packed, skipping out on rent and leaving their tabby cat.  He thought perhaps it was a family emergency or something, but after a couple of days, heard the cat crying, so unlocked the suite and went in.  In addition to a gigantic mess, there was a note on the counter saying someone would be by within the week to feed the cat and they were not coming back.  No food, no water.    DS picked up some cat food and fed the kitty for a few days,  and when nobody showed up, he called the SPCA who sent someone out to pick up the sweet little furball.  They took the names of the villains and reported it to the police, as the kitty could have died, had our DS not cared for it.    That kind of stuff just riles me up.

Bless you for giving this sweet little doggo a loving home.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂 

Gerry

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

They took the names of the villains and reported it to the police, as the kitty could have died, had our DS not cared for it.    That kind of stuff just riles me up.

I’m with you on being riled on that stuff.  I don’t understand some people.

If people have animals, I can tell a lot about them fast by the way they treat them.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Evidently the reaction to cilantro is genetic. I am fine with it myself, but have a friend who can't stand it. I really can not even taste it.

There are many articles about it being genetic, here's one.  Apparently Julia Child detested it as much as I do. 😄

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/14/dining/14curious.html 

• Like 6

Thanks to Rich for the Daily, to Roy for the lists and for all  the photos of Skagway, which bring back lots of good memories, having twice visited on the beautiful Volendam.

@Crazy For Cats wishing you a fabulous cruise, very fortunate that you were home at the time of the electric problem.

Some sunshine here today, temperature 12 C.

Stay safe and take care everyone.

• Like 14

Good evening.  Its been a long day, and it didn't help that while our high was 94F, the heat index was 100+F.  We have a heat advisory for tomorrow afternoon, so I guess I'll need to mow the grass early and be inside by about noon.  

The Daily has been busy today, so I'll probably miss someone in my comments.

@rafinmd Roy, after seeing the plaque on the Zaandam makes me feel  better about my typos on here.  

@durangoscots Good grief, charging you three times for the door!  After all the delays, they should give you a discount.

@crazyforcats. Glad you were home when the appliance gremlins struck. Hope you get a good night's sleep.  Bonaire voyage and enjoy your cruise.

@cat shepard. Your Icelandic adventures are fascinating,  and the pictures are outstanding. 

@lindaler Glad you had little damage from the storm.

@sailingdutchy The organ on the Zaandam is wonderful.  In 2018, they played it at noon on sea days.  Dh talked to the production manager about it after both did some research on the organ.  By the last sea day different disc's had been found and they played "Ghost Riders in the Sky".

@puppycanducruise Bertie Woofster is lucky he found his forever home with you.  It's hard to understand how people can just abandon their pets.

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Afternoon, we are in the air and I got a comforting email from JetBlue that my bag is on the plane.  Interestingly we got an offer to the Pinnacle Suite.  By the time I got DH agree it was gone.  Oh well, money saved for a new freezer.

Darn on the offer, that would have been special but I do understand DH’s hesitation. Someone else must have grabbed it fast. 

So sorry about the freezer and for that to happen the night before your flight, oh my!  Have a super time and enjoy everything!

• Like 10

11 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Our DS had something similar happen - they have a basement suite that was rented to what they thought was a nice family.  Except for the fact that he saw them on his security cameras, sneaking out in the middle of the night with their bags packed, skipping out on rent and leaving their tabby cat.  He thought perhaps it was a family emergency or something, but after a couple of days, heard the cat crying, so unlocked the suite and went in.  In addition to a gigantic mess, there was a note on the counter saying someone would be by within the week to feed the cat and they were not coming back.  No food, no water.    DS picked up some cat food and fed the kitty for a few days,  and when nobody showed up, he called the SPCA who sent someone out to pick up the sweet little furball.  They took the names of the villains and reported it to the police, as the kitty could have died, had our DS not cared for it.    That kind of stuff just riles me up.

Bless you for giving this sweet little doggo a loving home.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂 

Gerry

It riles me up too.  I can't believe how cruel and heartless some people are.

Fortunately, there are good people like your DS around too.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Evening, we landed safely and all our bags made the journey with us.  We have a wonderful meal at Mango Thai.  If you are staying near the airport I recommend it very much.  

YAY 🙂. Have a wonderful time on the N Amsterdam and in Alaska 😄 

• Like 2