The Daily for Friday July 30, 2021

richwmn

Today is National Cheesecake Day, Father-in-Law Day, and International Day of Friendship

Conduct is three-fourths of our life and its largest concern. - Matthew Arnold

Meal suggestion for today - Steak and Potatoes with 5 Minute Chimichurri Sauce

Drink of the Day - Glowtini

Wine of the day - Granbazán 2019 Etiqueta Verde Albariño (Rías Baixas) Galicia

Destination of the Day - Skagway Alaska US

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam Destination Seattle

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Gulf of California
Noordam Destination Los Angeles eta 8/3

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Drifting
Westerdam Destination La Paz MX
Zuiderdam Drifting

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Piraeus GR
Eurodam Anchorage

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0730NAmer.thumb.png.44b035050dcf17ebf01dd0070661e645.png

0730Europe.thumb.png.29ba44ca2ecae11b8f92e8e0bd67cf54.png

• Like 30
  • Thanks 3

I usually read the daily late in the day but don’t comment. Circumstances have me up early to care for an ailing dog. Great collection of celebrations today! Who doesn’t like cheesecake, I had a great father-in-law, and every day should be a day of friendship. The meal sounds good and the drink interesting. I’ve been to Skagway twice but don’t think that I have any digital pictures. Thanks for the daily Rich.

Edited by jayhawk66
  • Like 22

Thank you for the TGIF Daily, Rich.  I'll pass on the cheesecake and have probably had 2 Fathers in Law since Roger was married twice.  A special salute to International Day of Friendship and it is every day on the Daily..  I like the meal and the Arnold quote.  I expect to see a lot of photos of Skagway.  My alternative is Mixed Seasonal Greens, Top Sirloin Center Cut Steak, and Tiramisu as served on the Elegant Explorer July 30, 2011

Today’s care list:

RIP FF Thomas Royds last alarm 7/24/21
Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires
smitty34877's Miss Camilla in NICU(hopefully not long
DurangoScots shelter manager in hospital (but out of ICU}
Kazu’s friend with fall and brain bleed(Improving)
bennybear DSIL infection
Ger_77's friend facing mastectomy
From the rotation:
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe
Scout Jamie C recovering from major surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Welcome Rotterdam
Front Line Health Care Workers
CrazyForCats off to Seattle
A great report from Cat Shepard’s Ortho Doc
Crew News winning contest
The new policy on mixed vaccines
Michael’s (atexsix’s “adopted brother”)spry family friend coordinating arrangements
rain for cruisin single
Sharon booked for 28 August
garlictown in Maui
Denise on her wilderness adventure
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Good Friday Morning. Thanks for the daily and the lists. I, especially, like the nod to international friendships. Both meal selections are for steak and that sounds good to me.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 15

Good early morning to all from St Louis!

Been a busy week here what with teaching Vacation Bible School, my last trial dose on Wednesday and, yesterday, a home visit to be measured for an electric wheelchair. I’ve tried to keep up, but haven’t responded much.

Love the three days. My father-in-law has been gone since 1980. He was a wonderful man and he had such fun with his two granddaughters. His other grandkids all were born and living in St. Paul MN, so he lavished a lot of attention on my two; we only lived about 5 minutes apart. I just chatted the other day with my oldest friend. She and I met in kindergarten in 1955; she was my maid of honor in my wedding. I am craving some cheesecake.

Looking forward to hearing about food and drink (glowtini??).

I have been to Skagway many times, not sure if there are pictures on this IPad as my last cruise did Sitka, not Skagway; will check if I get on the computer later.

As I type this, I have not seen our daily lists, so I will come back later.

Take care all,

St Louis Sal

p.s. Does anyone else think about writing their Daily post, but then later forget if you sent it or just thought about it?

• Like 22

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Love cheesecake, I guess I'll have to buy some to eat today.   A virtual hug to all my international friends here on the Daily.  I didn't really have a father-in-law.  My husband's father died the year before we were married.

Both meal suggestions sound good. 

Looking forward to reading about the Glowtini.  Hope the wine is good too.

Hope to see lots of pictures of Skagway, it's been a long time since we were there.

Sending prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a great Friday.

Stay safe.

• Like 18

Happy Friday everyone and thanks for today’s report.  What a nice collection of days, I love cheesecake and nothing better than friends,  Although my FIL was deceased before I met my SO, I did visit his gravesite in Haverhill MA for the first time this year.  I’m not so sure that I agree with today’s quote, 3/4 seems a bit much to be obsessed with something that should just come naturally.  Had steak for dinner last so maybe another day. Loved our visit to Skagway as I hope all of the returning visitors do.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today with the hope that it gets shorter soon.  Cheers to all celebrating a happy event today!

• Like 17

Happy Friday.  Love Cheesecake.  Never met my FIL, and all of us on the Daily celebrate International Days of Friendship everyday. ♥️  The meal sounds interesting, can't wait to see Debbie's recipe.  Have been to Skagway, off to look for photo's.  Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and continue to wear your mask.

Glowtini:  It seems it got it's name from the glowing "ice cube" placed in it.  It can be different colors.

This one is blue:

Ingredients
1 shot Skyy Citrus Vodka
1/2 shot Blue Curacao
1/2 shot Peach Schnapps
1 shot Sweet & Sour Mix
1 shot Pineapple Juice
Instructions
Combine everything in a shaker with ice.
Shake well and serve in a martini glass rimmed with sugar, preferably with a glow cube set to blue.

Screen Shot 2021-07-30 at 7.05.40 AM.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, jayhawk66 said:

I usually read the daily late in the day but don’t comment. Circumstances have me up early to care for an ailing dog. Great collection of celebrations today! Who doesn’t like cheesecake, I had a great father-in-law, and every day should be a day of friendship. The meal sounds good and the drink interesting. I’ve been to Skagway twice but don’t think that I have any digital pictures. Thanks for the daily Rich.

Welcome to posting on the Daily.  Best wishes for your dog.

Roy

• Like 12

Good morning, everyone.

Great set of days today.   I love cheesecake, but the cheesecake loves my waist more.  I don't have a father in law, but do cherish my friends, including and especially my Daily family and friends.  

I've been to Skagway, but have no idea where those pictures might be.  That would be a major search mission.

Today's meal sounds familiar, but it sure looks good.  Lots of good way to fix flank steak and this is one of them.  

https://damndelicious.net/2020/02/09/steak-and-potatoes-with-5-minute-chimichurri-sauce/

974562958_Steak-and-Potatoes-with-5-Minute-Chimichurri-SauceIMG_0285(1).thumb.jpg.c8a86e162573bc69acbba1f5acb71704.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Good  morning  and  thanks  for  the  Daily, Rich. Thanks  also  for  the  lists,quotes  and  the  wonderful  food  and  beverage  department.

I  love  cheesecake  but  should  not  eat  it and  I  had  a  really  nice  father  in  law. Roy  is  correct. This  thread  celebrates  international  friendship every  day  and  is  a  bright  spot  for  me.

We  have  been  to  Skagway a  few  times  and  I  will  look  for  pictures.

Enjoy  the  day  everyone,  but  please  be  careful

Terry

• Like 20

57 minutes ago, jayhawk66 said:

Welcome to the Daily 🙂 Hope your fur baby recovers quickly 🤞 

• Like 10

Good morning everyone. A nice collection of days. I had the nicest father in law who died way too young. My daughter, Lori is named for him. Sam’s father in law, my father, also died way too young from cancer. My grandsons, Matthew and Misha are named for him.

We were on a severe tornado watch last night. Having no basement, Sam, the aide and I waited it out in the master bathroom. We were lucky and had no damage. Other places in New Jersey and Pennsylvania not so lucky.

Crazy weather lately.

Carol

• Like 25

Thank you for an interesting daily Rich and care reports Roy.

It was my Father in laws 13th memory yesterday since he died of cancer in 2008.

Cheesecake is lovely.

Not sure what the drink is.

We have never been to Alaska.

We should all ensure good conduct at all times.

International friendship Day is important and practiced excellently on here.

We have had a lovely lunch in a nice hotel.

IMG_20210730_120528.jpg

IMG_20210730_121906.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 26

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our TGIF smile 🙂 

Great collection of days!  We miss my FIL (RIP) and it’s friendship day every day here on the Daily as it should be everywhere.  And cheesecake?  

D02BF703-D1C7-449F-93A3-CD50964699AD.jpeg.a98261a7b3def76316b56d5c42260367.jpeg

I know too many people that would celebrate whenever they can 😉 

3595324F-0701-4B0A-86C0-71C527A58803.jpeg.5b903797a43ba74b31944daf72243b6c.jpeg

Not sure about the quote but the meal suggestion for today sounds great!

Today’s wine comes from a great area in Spain which is well known for it’s grapes..  If it hadn’t been for covid, we would have been there testing all their vintages!  Oh well.  Maybe next year (3 times is the charm, right?)

Saw this the other day and had a little chuckle.

DCA76668-50C1-49F0-96BB-1D0F7641FED9.thumb.jpeg.84e06eca2294f2a09413916a46d31192.jpeg

The kitty should be grateful it didn’t get this firefighter to rescue it 😉 

3A762CAA-BE74-4E2E-A128-A9600CF4CB11.jpeg.6380f634d3d2dd745aa93301020eb006.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out List.

Have a great TGIF everyone!!

95B69754-1BC9-4177-B5A8-46D12D2516B6.thumb.jpeg.7d93b81c081ff3ac992e49c2ffdedcd3.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Good morning from central Texas, where our temperatures will not be in the triple digits for a few days.

I love cheesecake, but usually wait until I'm on a BHB to have it.  I really lucked out in the father-in-law department but sadly he died in 1997.  I will celebrate all my interantional friends including those in the Daily family just as I do everyday.  🥂

The quote is intereresting, but I'm not sure about the percentages even though we should watch our conduct.

The meal looks good, but will pass on the drink.  

We have been to Skagway many times both on land trips in the motorhome and on cruises.  I'll just post a few pictures.  In the first pictures of town there are not many people on the streets.  We drove down from Whitehorse in 2017 for the day.  It was a raw, windy cold day, and those not on an excursion were either in the shopsm restaurants or on the ship.

P1010155.thumb.JPG.7f9556e6bbbcaaf902553b1e72252052.JPG

P1010157.thumb.JPG.efe9341fac147f000ff9e78f17f55cf6.JPG

P1010159.thumb.JPG.de6dc44039b8d262b483701e5d332500.JPG

P1010162.thumb.JPG.223486d54da8d0b803b0dc1f5a39b264.JPG

We were in Skayway on a Friday in 2010 and could take the train ride with the steam locomotive.

P1010160.thumb.JPG.35c5db57f3d4fe4e8747d3424da70d03.JPG

The Amsterdam waiting for our return in 2010,  0n our last cruise to Skagway

P1010163.thumb.JPG.3b5ecaa015cccc27aca15a54dbb39ff9.JPG

Lenda

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning all on a much cooler morning here in sw Ontario. Cheers to those on the celebration list and prayers for those on the care list.

i don’t often respond to the port of the day, many I haven’t been to and those I have I don’t have interesting pictures. But Skagway is special. We have been a couple of times, in 2001 and 2007 both on RCI. But 2007 was the highlight. We went with 3 other couples. We (all of us) have a friends who live in Skagway and she was the town nurse for many years. He works for the white pass railroad. Mike was able to get us VIP passes on the train and we rode in the front car with the conductor and the announcer, so our own private car. It was great being able to move from side to side and outside. When we got back to Skagway mike had reservations at a local restaurant near the train dock. We bypassed the long line waiting to get in - truly like VIPs. Doesn’t happen often in an ordinary life. We had a great visit with mike and Mary. Skagway will always be special to us because our friends live there.

• Like 32