The Daily for Sunday August 15, 2021

richwmn

39 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Well I think it is time to start my Aloha day. God bless to all, stay healthy and have a POSITIVE HEALTHY ATTITUDE FOR LIFE!!!

Mahalo🌺

Denise😊

Aloha kaikaina!

I was wondering how you and David like your E Bikes? 

Love to you and have an Aloha day! 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! I have relaxation down to a science! Maybe I should write a book. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy. Morning Dailyite family! @Mr. Boston, keeping your SIL and the entire family in my prayers. Hold on to the special memories. @StLouisCruisers, Sandi how are Brenda & Copeland doing? @kazu, Jacqui I might have to pick up a bottle of that wine!

Fred is dead - according to our local weather guru. But not before he drenched Bindi and I in a 3 minute pop-up downpour. Let’s just say Bindi’s drowned rat look is much better than mine. 

Another day of taking it easy. Still working off leftovers, so no need to plan a meal. Pass on the drink. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Bonterra 2018 Made with Organic Grapes Merlot

All vintages of this wine share the same excellent ratings and very reasonable prices! Lots of online distributors with prices starting at $11.94.  Stock up time!

Winemaker Notes

#75 Wine Enthusiast Top 100 of 2020

The resulting wine has aromas of black currant, black cherries and a touch of wood smoke with flavors of plums, dark berries, toasty oak and vanilla spice. In the mouth, this wine has an elegant and restrained style with nice structure and balance, soft tannins and a long finish.

WE91 Wine Enthusiast: The black-fruit flavors in this full-bodied and moderately tannic wine go deep and broad, filling the palate with rich berries and black cherries. Hints of cocoa and dark chocolate add interest and complexity, too.

JS91 James Suckling: Aromas of spiced plum, licorice, black olive, savory meat and earth. It’s medium-bodied with smooth tannins and fresh acidity. Juicy finish. From organically grown grapes. Try from 2021.

The wine sounds…interesting. The Wine Enthusiast describes a wine I would love. James Suckling? Not so much. Licorice, black olives, meat, earth? The saving grace is that I lack an educated palate (all those HAL wine tastings just didn’t take) so I probably wouldn’t identify any of that 😂.

St Louis Sal

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!   

Today is definitely relaxation day here.  We stayed quite late at the picnic yesterday and afterwards Matt and Laura came over and we were up till early morning.   But, it was a great visit.  

Today's meal is an interesting one.   I like spaghetti squash and I'm willing to give this preparation a try without the buns.  

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/bbq-spaghetti-squash-sliders-5266438

1458530333_BBQSpaghettiSquashSliders.jpeg.8d981183ab7b38e25ce5580a59102251.jpeg

Have to be honest, the buns would be the best part 😂. Never have become a big fan of spaghetti squash.

St Louis Sal

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Just minutes ago I spoke with Brenda by phone.  She was crying when I got her on the line and said the hospital had called at 8:30 and said Copeland's heart had stopped beating.  He has gone to his reward in heaven she said.  We are shocked and deeply saddened to hear this.  I really expected him to get better and come home.  Poor Brenda won't know what to do without him there - she said he'd lived with them for 20 years since her Mother had passed on.  DH used to spend lots of time sitting and chatting in the garage with him and he couldn't believe it when I told him.  Brenda is still not feeling well and has some fever lingering unfortunately.  She also said her eldest brother is in the hospital and not expected to live much longer.  Yes, Covid.

So please pray for them as they go through this trying time.  🙏

So sorry to hear this. My prayers go out to Copeland’s family and his friends as well. 🙏😢

St Louis Sal

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just minutes ago I spoke with Brenda by phone.  She was crying when I got her on the line and said the hospital had called at 8:30 and said Copeland's heart had stopped beating.  He has gone to his reward in heaven she said.  We are shocked and deeply saddened to hear this.  I really expected him to get better and come home.  Poor Brenda won't know what to do without him there - she said he'd lived with them for 20 years since her Mother had passed on.  DH used to spend lots of time sitting and chatting in the garage with him and he couldn't believe it when I told him.  Brenda is still not feeling well and has some fever lingering unfortunately.  She also said her eldest brother is in the hospital and not expected to live much longer.  Yes, Covid.

Oh Sandi, I am so, so sorry to hear this. My deepest condolences to Brenda and her family.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, St. Louis Sal said:

The wine sounds…interesting. The Wine Enthusiast describes a wine I would love. James Suckling? Not so much. Licorice, black olives, meat, earth?

The only thing really missing is ‘ash tray’. 😂

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 6
  • Haha 7

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Relaxation Day sounds like a good one to me - still getting the house back into shape after the last week.  My DFIL worked with leather; his specialty was making harnesses, riding crops and bull whips.  Some of his creations were shipped as far away as Spain where they were used in exhibitions.  He also made things that were useful around the house - footstools that were small enough for children to sit on, and leather covered boot boxes that still have a place at our front door and on our back deck.

Today's quote is good - unless it's family, then they can stay as long as they like.  The best guests are ones that help by keeping their room tidy and contribute to the daily meals, not sitting back like royalty expecting to be waited on.  As far as the wine descriptions go, I think I'd prefer the one from Wine Enthusiast to James Suckling's . . . like @Horizon chaser 1957 said, it's just missing the ash tray.   LOL

@StLouisCruisers I audibly gasped when I read your entry about Copeland's passing - I can't imagine what a shock it must have been to you.  Please accept my sincere sympathy, and prayers for his family and all who knew him.  

Bon Voyage to all embarking on the Eurodam today; hopefully things will remain safe so we can enjoy her ambiance for our trans-Atlantic in October.

We're under another heat warning today and tomorrow - I've already gone out and watered all the plants so I don't have to be there in the heat of the day.  Our power went out last night around 8PM and didn't come back on until near 1AM; we still don't know what caused it, just happy it didn't happen during the heat of the day.

I think I'll pass on today's menu suggestion . . . not a real fan of squash, and if you saw the inside of the fridge, you'd realize there's no cooking to be done for a couple of more days.  Tonight it'll be leftovers with a fresh Greek salad served at our kitchen table instead of out on the deck because of the heat.  And Grandma Juice.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Clinking the glasses together tonight to celebrate all on the happy list.  Be well, stay safe, wash your hands, wear your masks, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!   🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Ugh. My post just went poof! Trying again.

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Good days. I will relax now that the lawn is mowed. I admire good leathercraft and picked up a belt at a local art fest.

The quote is sometimes true.

Not sure about the meal or drink, but I'll take the wine.

I have been to today's destination on my SA & Antarctica cruise on the Zaandam in 2018.

Today is my weigh in day for WW online. Down 15 lbs since I started on June 6th! Yay!

@StLouisCruisers Wow, long power outage. Mine was 30 hours and I had to toss most of the fridge contents. Luckily the freezer and chest freezer were ok.  So sorry to hear about Copeland; my condolences. And oh no about Brenda's brother. I can't understand the people who think Covid isn't more than the flu, when people are dying!

@Horizon chaser 1957 I'm glad to hear the air quality is so much better.

Prayers for the care list and the people of Haiti after the earthquake. Cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe, social distance and wear your mask.

Cruising the Chilean fjords.

Ship Captain Leonidas, grounded 1963, Messier Channel

454459499_006-12_22.18ShipCaptainLeonidasgrounded1963MessierCanalChileanFjords.thumb.jpg.2f06b6ec18f27329b026e8d740c57f07.jpg

Cruising to El Brujo glacier

2094950631_010-12_22.18ChileanFjords.thumb.jpg.70459f298b5736a44ed9372faa6f3bde.jpg

1248626910_001-12_23.18CruisingtowardElBrujoGlacier.thumb.jpg.3cbe662e4b3331bb3820052cd586aa16.jpg

1375260177_009-12_23.18CruisingtowardElBrujoGlacier.thumb.jpg.cd5d3c5f2124447552be3ef8ba58ece2.jpg

El Brujo glacier

305406149_022-12_23.18ElBrujoglacier.thumb.jpg.2b8005ee1feca859a0d065a6629fefbc.jpg

1101650152_032-12_23.18MeatElBrujoGlacier.thumb.jpg.21b01f8dea104aec3935f8c7d0271bf9.jpg

Hulk of SS Santa Leonor, wrecked 1968, Smyth Channel

869416327_046-12_23.18HulkofSSSantaLeonorwrecked1968SmythChannelChile.thumb.jpg.0ef577281af1fb4425cc22ad7933ef9a.jpg

Sarniento Channel

2095138923_055-12_23.18SarnientoChannel.thumb.jpg.a44f753e837ef689647053ec01a7f59a.jpg

031 - 12.23.18 Passengers on the verandah deck at El Brujo glacier.jpg

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 30

😢🙏😢

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Sunday Daily, Rich.  My denomination does not really seem to celebrate the Feast.  Leatherwork is great but I was never good at it.  I will try to relax.  Today marks 3 months since my hospital discharge.  Love the quote.  I want to see what Debbie says about the meal.  My alternative is Freshly made lido waffle with mixed berry topping which could have been my final meal on SS Rotterdam as an active ship.

Today’s care list:

RIP Frederick Fire Captaiin Josh Laird, Last Alarm 8/11/21
Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires    
Mr Boston’s DSIL in hospice
NextOne with shingles
Copeland and Brenda with breakthrough Covid
From the rotation:
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe
Tana back recovering courtesy of smitty34867

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Eurodam loading passengers
Boytje on a BHB
Front Line Health Care Workers
A new rescue for Heartgrove
Debbie off to Michigan
Aliaschief in Seattle
6 days for cruisin single
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Roy - you should put yourself on the celebration list!!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I can't like this, but I'm praying for Brenda & the rest of her family. Thanks for letting us know.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, St. Louis Sal said:

So sorry to hear this. My prayers go out to Copeland’s family and his friends as well. 🙏😢

St Louis Sal

2 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Oh Sandi, I am so, so sorry to hear this. My deepest condolences to Brenda and her family.

2 hours ago, kplady said:

@StLouisCruisersSandi, I'm so sorry to hear of Copeland's passing.  Hoping Brenda will continue to recover quickly. Prayers for her family as they go through this loss, and praying for her brother also.

Laura

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

@StLouisCruisers I audibly gasped when I read your entry about Copeland's passing - I can't imagine what a shock it must have been to you.  Please accept my sincere sympathy, and prayers for his family and all who knew him.  

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

@StLouisCruisers Wow, long power outage. Mine was 30 hours and I had to toss most of the fridge contents. Luckily the freezer and chest freezer were ok.  So sorry to hear about Copeland; my condolences. And oh no about Brenda's brother. I can't understand the people who think Covid isn't more than the flu, when people are dying!

1 hour ago, dobiemom said:

😢🙏😢

47 minutes ago, NextOne said:

I can't like this, but I'm praying for Brenda & the rest of her family. Thanks for letting us know.

44 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good day and thanks all!  The smoke and heat  has come our way sadly.   What a year! 

@StLouisCruisers I’m so sorry to hear about Copeland.  
@Mr. Boston  I’m sorry to hear about your DSIL,  may you all find  peace and comfort. 

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

@StLouisCruisersso sorry for your loss. I’m watching a tennis match from Montreal and no one is wearing a mask in the stands. 

Thank you once again everyone for your kindness.  We, and they, appreciate your condolences.  DH is taking it hard because he considered Copeland his "buddy".  

The two of us put on masks and took flowers and sympathy card/note to them.  Paul answered the door since Brenda was still on the phone telling friends the sad news.  We stayed on the front porch.  We asked him to let us know when the funeral is, and he said Brenda's brother was put into hospice today, so they are going to wait a bit because it looks like there will be a double funeral.  He did not know if her brother was vaccinated but said he hadn't taken good care of himself over the years.  What a sad, sad time this is.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 6

5 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Just minutes ago I spoke with Brenda by phone. 

<snip>🙏

I didn't want to give a thumbs up, but sending love and sympathy to you and your neighbors and their family and friends. Really sad, awful news, we're so sorry to hear it. May Copeland's memories (as a friend of mine says) "be for a blessing." 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, dfish said:

@StLouisCruisers  I am so sorry to hear of Copeland's passing and Brenda's brother.  Poor Brenda.  Her heart must be breaking.  Let her know we all are holding her close to our hearts in this sad time.

Thank you Debbie.  Brenda is the type of person who loves making new friends.  She is a very sweet and chatty lady.  It's so sad to hear this very uplifting woman feeling so devastated and crushed.  😪

• Like 7

3 hours ago, St. Louis Sal said:

The wine sounds…interesting. The Wine Enthusiast describes a wine I would love. James Suckling? Not so much. Licorice, black olives, meat, earth? The saving grace is that I lack an educated palate (all those HAL wine tastings just didn’t take) so I probably wouldn’t identify any of that 😂.

St Louis Sal

I hear you! Rarely does my palate pick up the same nuances. I do get excited when my nose recognizes a certain aspect of the wine’s nose, though. 

• Like 10

54 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thank you once again everyone for your kindness.  We, and they, appreciate your condolences.  DH is taking it hard because he considered Copeland his "buddy".  

The two of us put on masks and took flowers and sympathy card/note to them.  Paul answered the door since Brenda was still on the phone telling friends the sad news.  We stayed on the front porch.  We asked him to let us know when the funeral is, and he said Brenda's brother was put into hospice today, so they are going to wait a bit because it looks like there will be a double funeral.  He did not know if her brother was vaccinated but said he hadn't taken good care of himself over the years.  What a sad, sad time this is.

Oh Sandi. I do not know what to say that could make anyone feel better. Just keeping you all in my prayers. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1