Are low capacity rates reaching a concerning level?

Schools back in Florida.  Numbers are often low this time of year and the new ship premium charges especially on Odyssey's 8 night cruises are making it less attractive.

Supposedly over 1,400 on the 6 night next week.  

• Like 1

At first I was happy at the thought of low crowds on a huge ship and uncrowded ports, but then watching some videos of the Ovation with few people in public spots and a quiet smattering of applause during a show, it feels a little sad, just like seeing a video of passengers walking around a largely-deserted Juneau. At the same time, I think Royal has the best Delta setup, not trying to cram as many people as possible on a ship as Carnival is doing, or ignoring breakthrough cases by not having inside masking at all, like NCL and Celebrity, and with table distancing. As a solo passenger, I'm also happy they're not adding a single supplement to many of their cruises now).  Extending Cruise with Confidence helps, as does refunding to those who don't like the protocols, instead of insisting on a FCC. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, rj59 said:

At first I was happy at the thought of low crowds on a huge ship and uncrowded ports, but then watching some videos of the Ovation with few people in public spots and a quiet smattering of applause during a show, it feels a little sad, just like seeing a video of passengers walking around a largely-deserted Juneau. At the same time, I think Royal has the best Delta setup, not trying to cram as many people as possible on a ship as Carnival is doing, or ignoring breakthrough cases by not having inside masking at all, like NCL and Celebrity, and with table distancing. As a solo passenger, I'm also happy they're not adding a single supplement to many of their cruises now).  Extending Cruise with Confidence helps, as does refunding to those who don't like the protocols, instead of insisting on a FCC. 

I think Ovation had 1700 guests onboard the last voyage.   Im looking forward to less crowds but I also hope its not a ghost town by 9pm.  Shouldnt be any trouble getting into shows or reserving specialty dining.

• Like 1

I think Royal will use this time with lower capacity to fine tune their protocols and just get experience with life on board during a pandemic. I do not see them shutting down any sailing but that is just an opinion and I full well know anything can happen.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

I think Royal will use this time with lower capacity to fine tune their protocols and just get experience with life on board during a pandemic. I do not see them shutting down any sailing but that is just an opinion and I full well know anything can happen.

Unlike an airline where if the bookings are low enough they can just cancel the flight (and keep staff home), once a ship is staffed, it probably makes no sense to cancel any sailing due to low bookings close in (past final payment). A bit further out and/or the ship not yet staffed, like with Vision out of Bermuda, then cancellation makes sense.

16 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Unlike an airline where if the bookings are low enough they can just cancel the flight (and keep staff home), once a ship is staffed, it probably makes no sense to cancel any sailing due to low bookings close in (past final payment). A bit further out and/or the ship not yet staffed, like with Vision out of Bermuda, then cancellation makes sense.

Ship is staffed. Provisions would have already been ordered. They'd still have to go somewhere if they canceled so it might be less fuel but still use quite a bit. Unless they started making the call a few weeks ahead, they'd save pretty much nothing canceling a cruise. And it's better to sail losing $10k than to no take passengers and lose $100k. (Making up numbers.)

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, flamingos said:

We're going on Mariner in a couple weeks (fingers crossed).  How was it?

It was great with the reduced capacity.  No waits for elevators not even people in them a lot of the time.  Didn't like the mask wearing though.  You could always find a seat at the bar

• Like 2

we just back from the first allowed cruises on the Independence from Galveston. They were slated to go at the CDC allowable maximum of 40%....but around 200 or so were refused boarding for not having proof of Vaccination or for not having a valid covid free test within 3 days....amazing! The CDC has people on board monitoring protocol compliance so the ship will take no chances. From Galveston all over 12 passengers must be vaccinated. At Roatan one woman was pitching a screaming fit at passenger services when she found out they would not allow her unvaccinated children off at Roatan.

They are not fooling around.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Airlines fly planes all the time with low numbers.  They have to move planes and crew between airports to fulfill other flights.  Flights get cancelled for weather or mechanical issues, but I've seen flights with only a few people onboard and some with just crew.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, spunks said:

we just back from the first allowed cruises on the Independence from Galveston. They were slated to go at the CDC allowable maximum of 40%....but around 200 or so were refused boarding for not having proof of Vaccination or for not having a valid covid free test within 3 days....amazing! The CDC has people on board monitoring protocol compliance so the ship will take no chances. From Galveston all over 12 passengers must be vaccinated. At Roatan one woman was pitching a screaming fit at passenger services when she found out they would not allow her unvaccinated children off at Roatan.

200 refused boarding? , Wow , that has to be  the most for 1 sailing that has been reported thus far. 

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, spunks said:

Wow I am surprised to hear that approx. 200 people were refused boarding for not having satisfied their protocols.    IMO no excuse for that these days, everyone should have been notified of what was needed via email and when they completed online health questionnaire.    

And what is the point of screaming like a brat when the answer is NO and won't change no matter how loud you get.     

Other than that I hope you had a great sailing!

• Like 3