3rd jab / booster jabs

23 minutes ago, little britain said:

Friend has booked booster for Monday and we cruise on following Saturday..... I don't think so! 

The FDA hasn’t approved booster shots for those who are not immune deficient or have underlying conditions so unless you lie the average person can’t get the booster shot in the US. That being said, the 14 day wait period only applies to the second dose. Anything extra is gravy. Now don’t be surprised if you have to explain this to a supervisor because the person checking you in is not sharp enough to figure it out and is only looking at the date of the third shot. I wouldn’t even bother ringing the cruise line because they never have a clue and even if the tell you the same thing I started you will not have proof.

38 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

The FDA hasn’t approved booster shots for those who are not immune deficient or have underlying conditions so unless you lie the average person can’t get the booster shot in the US. That being said, the 14 day wait period only applies to the second dose. Anything extra is gravy. Now don’t be surprised if you have to explain this to a supervisor because the person checking you in is not sharp enough to figure it out and is only looking at the date of the third shot. I wouldn’t even bother ringing the cruise line because they never have a clue and even if the tell you the same thing I started you will not have proof.

You don't even have to lie.  Walgreens is doing walk-ins for booster shots and at least in my region, no questions asked.  

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I'm not sure this is true. I heard its approved for anyone over age 65 which is a lot of cruisers. Me for instance. 

This from the CDC website......

When can I get a COVID-19 vaccine booster?

Not immediately. The goal is for people to start receiving a COVID-19 booster shot beginning in the fall, with individuals being eligible starting 8 months after they received their second dose of an mRNA vaccine (either Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna). This is subject to authorization by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and recommendation by CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). FDA is conducting an independent evaluation to determine the safety and effectiveness of a booster dose of the mRNA vaccines. ACIP will decide whether to issue a booster dose recommendation based on a thorough review of the evidence.

The red highlighting is my doing to emphasize that the FDA has not yet authorized a booster for anyone other than those that are immunocompromised. Stores are giving the booster as it is a revenue generator and people ask for it (being told by the media that they have to get it). There is hype from both sides as to whether you need one or not (if you do not have an underlying condition which suppresses the immune system). 

Please don't let this get political, this is all developing, so allow time for the facts to be agreed upon.

21 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'm not sure this is true. I heard its approved for anyone over age 65 which is a lot of cruisers. Me for instance. 

I didn't realize they added the age. It seems like they are rolling it out the same way they did when it was first offered. That makes the most sense since those are the people who would be due for the booster.  I overheard the Pharmacist where I work explaining it to a patient who wanted it yesterday. I guess I didn't hear her include 65 and over.  I just went for an antibody test today to see where I stand. My second dose was at the end of March.  We are traveling to Florida mid Oct so I want to know where I stand.  I was planning on getting the booster before we left but now I don't know if it will be available. My wife is able to get her booster because she works for a hospital. 

Edited by Iamcruzin

40 minutes ago, cured said:

You don't even have to lie.  Walgreens is doing walk-ins for booster shots and at least in my region, no questions asked.  

32 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

11 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I didn't realize they added the age. It seems like they are rolling it out the same way they did when it was first offered. That makes the most sense since those are the people who would be due for the booster.  I overheard the Pharmacist where I work explaining it to a patient who wanted it yesterday. I guess I didn't hear her include 65 and over.  I just went or an antibody test today to see where I stand. My second dose was at the end of March.

The over 65's were always part of the request that was being considered by the FDA and CDC. The CDC confirmed on Monday that the 65+ group were included in the booster eligible group. We both got our booster (Moderna) on 9/11 at our local Publix and had to supply our qualifying health conditions when we registered for the shots online. DW (67)has an autoimmune disease and I (73) have CHD, so we would have qualified on all three counts. BTW, the side effects of the booster (at least for us) were the same ones we experienced for the second dose - just ratcheted up in intensity and duration. If your side effects laid you low for a day or two before, plan on being laid low for about a week with the third dose.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, cured said:

35 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Exactly. I was able to get my booster at CVS no questions asked.

3 minutes ago, orville99 said:

The over 65's were always part of the request that was being considered by the FDA and CDC. The CDC confirmed on Monday that the 65+ group were included in the booster eligible group. We both got our booster (Moderna) on 9/11. DW has an autoimmune disease and I have CHD, so we would have qualified on all three counts. BTW, the side effects of the booster (at least for us) were the same ones we experienced for the second dose - just ratcheted up in intensity and duration. If your side effects laid you low for a day or two before, plan on being laid low for about a week with the third dose.

I got my booster through CVS who had it on their website that those 65 and over could get the booster under Emergency Use Authorization. Side effects were the same but not as bad. I feel great and glad I got the booster. It should not be a big deal.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, orville99 said:

The over 65's were always part of the request that was being considered by the FDA and CDC. The CDC confirmed on Monday that the 65+ group were included in the booster eligible group. We both got our booster (Moderna) on 9/11. DW has an autoimmune disease and I have CHD, so we would have qualified on all three counts. BTW, the side effects of the booster (at least for us) were the same ones we experienced for the second dose - just ratcheted up in intensity and duration. If your side effects laid you low for a day or two before, plan on being laid low for about a week with the third dose.

Agree. Mom 75 yrs old has Heart Disease, Emphysema, recovering Breast Cancer 2 times. She will get Booster soon, me 56, healthy, 2 Shot Vax last March, unless new Strain will prob never need a Booster...

50 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Agree. Mom 75 yrs old has Heart Disease, Emphysema, recovering Breast Cancer 2 times. She will get Booster soon, me 56, healthy, 2 Shot Vax last March, unless new Strain will prob never need a Booster...

I wouldn’t say never.  Most vaccines need booster shots eventually, even among healthy folk.  But the COVID vaccine is too new to know whether that window is one year or 10.

• Like 1

I don't understand how some over 65 are able to get a third jab. CVS website for scheduling clearly states... "I need to schedule an extra dose (weakened immune system only). Remember, you're eligible if you've received a complete vaccine and have a weakened immune system. By selecting this, you're confirming this applies to you."

Our CVS pharm are turning away people. Seems they rather toss unused doses in the bin than stick people. 

19 minutes ago, smarcbie said:

I don't understand how some over 65 are able to get a third jab. CVS website for scheduling clearly states... "I need to schedule an extra dose (weakened immune system only). Remember, you're eligible if you've received a complete vaccine and have a weakened immune system. By selecting this, you're confirming this applies to you."

Our CVS pharm are turning away people. Seems they rather toss unused doses in the bin than stick people. 

Try Publix website - that's where we got ours.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Booster shots ok'd for those 65 and over.