Do I Need Sunscreen in Solarium?

elaineb

2 minutes ago, elaineb said:

I know this is a strange question, but I have to be really careful in the sun - have had 4 basal cell surgeries.  I will be on the Reflection. Does the glass afford some type of UV protection?  Thanks!

Why take the chance. Wear your sunscreen. It can't hurt. Especially considering your past experiences and a whole lot better than the alterative.

Typically, regular clear window glass blocks only an insignificant percentage of UV-A rays. There are glass coatings, treatments and films that can increase protection, but I have no idea whether or not Celebrity uses any of them on the Solarium windows.

Why don't you contact Special Needs and ask them? I'm not sure that they'll know, but they should be able to find out for you:

Guests with Disabilities / Special Needs Email Address:  special_needs@rccl.com

Guests with Disabilities / Special Needs:  1-866-592-7225

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Typically, regular clear window glass blocks only an insignificant percentage of UV-A rays. There are glass coatings, treatments and films that can increase protection, but I have no idea whether or not Celebrity uses any of them on the Solarium windows.

Why don't you contact Special Needs and ask them? I'm not sure that they'll know, but they should be able to find out for you:

Guests with Disabilities / Special Needs Email Address:  special_needs@rccl.com

Guests with Disabilities / Special Needs:  1-866-592-7225

UVA/UVB rays can still filter through. When outdoors I wear sunscreen outdoors all year round even on cloudy days. 

6 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

UVA/UVB rays can still filter through. When outdoors I wear sunscreen outdoors all year round even on cloudy days. 

Yes, the window treatments increase the level of protection from UV rays but don't completely block them.

• Like 1

There should be plenty of loungers in the shady areas away from the pool.  Cruise Critic has dozens of photos of the solarium on reflection and you can get a better idea from that, so you should be able to see that at any given time about half of the solarium is in the shade.

F4E8534F-A764-40B8-9F2F-018FB9539BF2.jpeg

110CAEC2-0B8F-421A-A84B-D501CE151024.jpeg

Edited by cruisestitch
  • Like 1

I burn very very easily. I spend all my time in the solarium pool.  I have never even gotten pink. However, I tend to move to wherever the sun is not directly shining. If you lay in the direct sunlight, you will burn just as much as if you were outside.

There is no protection from the glass at all.

It would be good to check with you oncologist.  

The risk of sun burn are very low but the sun rays do penetrate glass.    My daughter had a Bone Marrow Transplant and sun burn can cause a rejection.   When the nurse saw her sitting in the sun on the Sofa one day she immediately brought some sun screen and told her she should use it even if behind glass. 

2 hours ago, drakes2 said:

Not UVB, but UVA makes it through tempered glass at about 65%, and ordinary glass 75+%, and that will bite you.  Ordinary glass cuts at about 300nm.

4 hours ago, nikel said:

Accorfding to my dermatologist sunscreen should even be worn on my face and arms when driving my car with short sleeves on.  So the answer is YES !!

I take 2 bottles on my cruises and go through both.  A shotglass full is needed to cover your body and reapply after a swim.

14 hours ago, elaineb said:

I know this is a strange question, but I have to be really careful in the sun - have had 4 basal cell surgeries.  I will be on the Reflection. Does the glass afford some type of UV protection?  Thanks!

Bring sun screen and use it daily.  While the glass might be UV, you might walk into unprotected areas, we also wear UV protected swimming jackets and a hat to protect ourselves.  Also if in water, we reapply sunscreen. 

In addition to other parts of his body, my DH got a precancerous lesion on his toe!  so apply sunscreen to any exposed area of your body daily.  

Edited by Cruise a holic

Just a little side note, I am allergic to most sunscreens - I have to use mineral base and absolutely no fragrance.  So rubbing on the thick stuff is very tedious.  I use it religiously anytime I am going outside. I also wear a hat & sunshine.  However, whenever I can take a little break from sunscreen, it is nice. 

And of course, what type of sunscreen one uses is just as important, as many commercial brands contain suspected or known carcinogens.

I also avoid those sprays as most spitzes wind up everywhere but on me.  I prefer the old fashioned zinc oxide based creams.

Edited by evandbob

4 hours ago, elaineb said:

Just a little side note, I am allergic to most sunscreens - I have to use mineral base and absolutely no fragrance.  So rubbing on the thick stuff is very tedious.  I use it religiously anytime I am going outside. I also wear a hat & sunshine.  However, whenever I can take a little break from sunscreen, it is nice. 

I am not allergic...but I hate the fact that the sunscreen I use ends up on various surfaces in my car...and it is hard to get off. I started using on my honeymoon back in '79. Got in a habit of putting it on first thing after a shower. Now I have never been good about reapplying. A few years ago.. I forgot my face and sat out on the veranda on a overcast day and on the shady side of the ship. Despite that I looked like a lobster at dinner. My dermatologist suggested Colorescience... which I use on my face...too expensive for all over... It is mineral oil based. I just order a version that contains foundation color ingredient..which I hope I can use instead of makeup. Still trying to figure out what to use on the rest of my body..that is effective and won't spread that white color all over any chair I sit in.  It is a pain to have to go through this routine...but I think it has helped prevent the cancers I know I am susceptible to..

• Like 1

Having a dear friend who had to watch her husband go through a horrific two years before he died of melanoma, I would highly suggest you wear sunscreen just to be sure.

(Note - This is NOT directed at the OP)-  I have to say I just go nuts on Caribbean cruises walking by so many people laying in the sun turning beet red or dark tan by the 2nd or 3rd day.  Sometimes DH has to hurry me past before I say something🙂 - not that I would but I so, so want to.  Is risking your life really worth it so you can show off to your friends that you were on a vacation and they weren't.  Ok, end of rant. 

• Haha 1

I use 50 spf on my face and neck every day, and lotion with spf 15 on the rest of my body (if I won’t be out in the sun). When I’m going to be outside for longer than walking from my house to my car and my car to my office (regardless of the time of year or whether it’s cloudy or sunny), I add 50-70 spf. I know what you mean about the white stuff, though. My black leather driver’s seat is so discolored! Any idea how to get it off?

16 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Having a dear friend who had to watch her husband go through a horrific two years before he died of melanoma, I would highly suggest you wear sunscreen just to be sure.

(Note - This is NOT directed at the OP)-  I have to say I just go nuts on Caribbean cruises walking by so many people laying in the sun turning beet red or dark tan by the 2nd or 3rd day.  Sometimes DH has to hurry me past before I say something🙂 - not that I would but I so, so want to.  Is risking your life really worth it so you can show off to your friends that you were on a vacation and they weren't.  Ok, end of rant. 

You said it so well. Showing off a gorgeous tan is not worth the risk and please don't forget to protect the lips as they burn as well. If you have had a sunburn as a child by the age of five you are 3 times more likely to get melanoma later in life.  We are so educated these days regarding sun protection there is just no excuse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kearney said:

I am not allergic...but I hate the fact that the sunscreen I use ends up on various surfaces in my car...and it is hard to get off. I started using on my honeymoon back in '79. Got in a habit of putting it on first thing after a shower. Now I have never been good about reapplying. A few years ago.. I forgot my face and sat out on the veranda on a overcast day and on the shady side of the ship. Despite that I looked like a lobster at dinner. My dermatologist suggested Colorescience... which I use on my face...too expensive for all over... It is mineral oil based. I just order a version that contains foundation color ingredient..which I hope I can use instead of makeup. Still trying to figure out what to use on the rest of my body..that is effective and won't spread that white color all over any chair I sit in.  It is a pain to have to go through this routine...but I think it has helped prevent the cancers I know I am susceptible to..

Yes, both my & hubby's inside car doors are a mess! 

Sun gets through wherever u are.. We never leave home without it..even in the winter,   we take Vit D supps to offset...  we also wear sun hats and sunglasses

Good point  made  abt quality of sunscreen..allergies too. Use what your dr recommends,  ones on ship may not be the best or induce allergic reaction.