The Daily for Friday 02/04/2022

richwmn

Today is Bubble Gum Day, Create a Vacuum Day, and Stuffed Mushroom Day

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.--Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan

Meal Suggestion for today - Steamed Curried Fish(Amok trey)
Drink of the Day - First Class 0
Wine of the Day - laboure-roi chablis 1er cru, burgundy, france
Destination of the Day - Maputo, Mozambique

Ships With Passengers

At Sea Caribbean

Nieuw Statendam   Destination Philipsburg SX eta 2/5
Rotterdam   Destination Port Everglades FL eta 2/5

At Sea Pacific

Koningsdam   Destination Honolulu, HI

Cozumel MX

Eurodam  

Huatulco, La Crucecita, Mexico Riviera

Zuiderdam   08:00 - 14:00

Ships Without Passengers

At Sea Caribbean

Nieuw Amsterdam   Drifting off Freeport BS

At Sea Mediterranean Sea

Volendam   Destination Cadiz SP eta 2/8
Volendam is now moving toward Cadiz

Corfu GR

Zaandam   Destination Cadiz SP eta 2/9
Zaandam is now scheduled for Cadiz but does not appear to have left the dock yet.

Freeport BS

Noordam  

Limassol CY

Oosterdam   Anchorage

Long Beach CA US

Westerdam   Anchorage

0204NAmerica.thumb.png.24109931d7e6c15a762b2ddb20b1c7ce.png

0204Europe.thumb.png.6376955c1cb04c6efdc96d51f6e6035b.png

• Like 33
  • Thanks 15

Happy Friday all.  Thanks for the daily report. Supposed to get icy rain later, Winter is making itself known this week for sure.  Fun collection of days but I thought that nature abhors a vacuum.  If you remember the old Chiffon margarine ads you don’t want to be upsetting Mother Nature!  Interesting quote.  The meal suggestion sounds very tasty.  Haven’t been to today’s port, I hope to enjoy the photos later.  I’ll pray for everyone on our list today.  Cheers to all of you celebrating happy events! 

• Like 30

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

I'll pass on the bubble gum, I don't know how to create a vacuum and I don't have any mushrooms.  I guess this is not my day.  Oh well, better luck tomorrow.🙂

Love the quote.

I'll pass on the meal, not sure about the drink but hope the wine is good.  But no worries, I have some wine in the wine rack.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of today's port.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful Friday.  Stay safe.

272889019_1765926666941074_7853011162715673423_n.jpg

Edited by puppycanducruise
  • Like 30
  • Haha 12

Good afternoon from a cold 41°F and cloudy NE England.

Thank you for today's daily Rich.

As a kid I used to buy Bazzoka bubblegum and blow big bubbles from my mouth with it.

Strange quote.

Nice food of the day.

Never been to Mozambique so curious to see photos.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone they can help.

I hope everyone has a safe and pleasant day.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220204_120634.jpg

Screenshot_20220204_120405.jpg

Screenshot_20220204_120348.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 38
  • Thanks 5

Good morning.  I love Bubble Gum, will pass on the other two days.  Interesting quote by Wilde.  Will pass on the meal, not a big fish eater.  Can't wait to see the photo's of Mozambique.  Major prayers for all of our dailyites.  Toasts for the celebration list.

Please continue to stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.  People are beginning to get complacant.

First Class O:

Ingredients
2 parts
Sauza® 901® Tequila
1 part
DeKuyper® Blue Curacao Liqueur
1 part Fresh
Lemon Juice
1/4 part
Agave Nectar
1 dash
Orange Bitters

Instructions
Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass with ice. Shake well for 10 seconds. Strain and pour into a martini glass. Rim glass with sugar.

Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 7.05.52 AM.png

• Like 32
  • Thanks 9

Good morning to all and thanks for The Daily, can't remember the last time I had bubble gum but sure chewed a lot of it back in the 1950s when I was collecting Topps Baseball Cards. 5 cents for 7 cards and a stick of bubble gum, what a deal!

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Thanks for our TGIF Daily, Rich.

Interesting collection of days.  No bubble gum here & not skilled to create a vacuum, love stuffed mushrooms but alas I have none in the house right now.  No one is going anywhere in this stormy mess so I will have to celebrate another day.

9EC07DDB-EAE3-4F10-B701-B945CA70F8F6.thumb.jpeg.3ed012841b628365b3f972c11243bda9.jpeg

Like the quote and the meal sounds good.  If our power holds, I’d be tempted to try it.

We have another major storm for the 4th time in 5 weekends.  Warnings are already in effect to stay off the roads, schools & businesses closed and long power outage warnings issued.  Southern New Brunswick is being projected to get 60 cm (2’ ) of snow.  It looks more like icy snow to me.  Oh well, as long as it doesn’t change to freezing rain 🤞 

C19A6FB6-AA6D-42BE-8A3C-2147CB56C45A.jpeg.ffa797042ccf40588766ddc298dc9987.jpeg

I feel for anyone who has been in the path of this very lengthy storm.  Hope everyone is safe.

ED46E8C9-9ECC-407B-B5CA-51935DAC2F5E.jpeg.1b0f29c4a8dafab0a187cc73328037d3.jpeg

@ger_77I know you’re not in Winnipeg but since they are in the frozen tundra, I thought of you when I saw this one.

004647A7-7926-46FD-83D0-FB1A227A512D.jpeg.6cbcb6fd591175b44e8927b546606b73.jpeg

Hopefully I will hear on Marley’s blood test today and will have to call DH - no way can I get into the hospital in this stuff until it stops and things are really cleaned up.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Friday everyone !!!!!!

E2114FB4-90B2-4E43-825C-E5FC3CB59F7F.thumb.jpeg.d2c8b2bb649c77f624da7e2cdfa31daa.jpeg

Stay safe (and especially those in the path of the storm) and please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 26

Thank you for the TGIF Daily, Rich.  I think I'll pass on all 3 of today's days, as well as the fish.  I love the Oscar Wilde quote but have not been to Mozambique. 

It's raining here now but warm.  The cold is due here late morning with a possibility of freezing rain and does not really appear to be reliably safe to be outdoors until sometime tomorrow. 

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui, dealing with more than should be on anyone’s shoulders
Healing for the Dailyite family

Welfare of furloughed crews
Safety for those in the path of winter storms, especially Texas and Seasick Sailor
ger_77 DH Cardiac issues and cancelled cruise
Numerious dailyite friends and family with covid
From the rotation:
kakalina with spreading lung cancer in hospice
NextOne  DDIL with mystery illness
summer slope BCC surgery in February
rafinmd recovering from radiation side effects

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Occasional contributors including Copper10_8
Mobile vet
5 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Carnival Group  hospital ships Nieuw Amsterdam, Crown Princess, and Queen Victoria
Sam problem less serious than expected
Cruiser Bill (Koningsdam to 2/20) HighlandCruiser (Nieuw Statendam to 2/13), and Cruising single at sea  (Zuiderdam to 2/13)
1 day for Lady Hudson (Enchantment OTS to 2/25)
Tana making video call
Several dailyites booking cruises
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 12

Good morning all. Watching the opening ceremony of the Winter Olympics! Some advantage to being old, waking early when the time difference is 12 or so hours!

Hopefully every one who was/is in the path of the latest storm still has power and heat. We had snow and wind but not as much as predicted, maybe 10 inches. It means the city will plow our residential street some time today but the main city roads are already clear. dodged the bullet again!

stay safe all.

• Like 33

Good morning everyone. Sam came home last night after our lengthy usual fight with the hospital ER admitting doctor who always orders a PT eval after 4pm when PT is closed for the day. I am on a first page name basis with the patient advocate who goes to bat for us each time to get him released without the PT eval he doesn’t need. Yesterday, 4 hours after his cardiologist said he could leave, they finally let him go without feeding him all day and when he got home we discovered they hadn’t listed his meds taken there and when we called they said he was dismissed and they no longer had a record. We had to hope we weren’t doubling up on anything.

We’re expecting an ice storm today.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 23
  • Thanks 18

Happy Friday!  Today should be another beautiful day here!

I used to have a diet recipe for stuffed mushrooms with cottage cheese which was really good.

I haven’t been to Maputo.  I was just looking for songs by Eliza Soares a Brazilian singer who recently died and found okayafrica.com which had lots of info.  

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. Sam came home last night after our lengthy usual fight with the hospital ER admitting doctor who always orders a PT eval after 4pm when PT is closed for the day. I am on a first page name basis with the patient advocate who goes to bat for us each time to get him released without the PT eval he doesn’t need. Yesterday, 4 hours after his cardiologist said he could leave, they finally let him go without feeding him all day and when he got home we discovered they hadn’t listed his meds taken there and when we called they said he was dismissed and they no longer had a record. We had to hope we weren’t doubling up on anything.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

That is just so wrong.

Roy

• Like 34

22 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

Oh my heavens on them not letting you know on his meds.  OMG 😱 

Discharged or not, they should have had a record IMO.  Sheesh 😡 

• Like 24

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy. Morning everyone. A beautiful morning here. It is already 65 here! What a difference from Sunday morning. 

Inside and outside chore day. Need to trim some of the plants damaged by last weekend’s freeze. And I foresee a long walk in Bindi’s future. 

The animal series continues….

5E81CB6B-C646-437A-B0ED-B03DC84732A4.jpeg.936c7fb9198afb4a3811119816832dc6.jpeg

526868D0-A381-4E71-826D-C81A96458FA6.jpeg.2de9e297d8d480f6ba040d047c8b850f.jpeg

77C53F00-7454-442C-9502-1D55F35E73DD.jpeg.ffd23d7d1cd3d989e13853295564e92f.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

laboure-roi chablis 1er cru
Good to very good ratings are assigned to this somewhat elusive Chablis. A bit too expensive to tempt me. A few online distributors with prices starting at $45.99.

Distributor Notes

The wines of Chablis are renowned far beyond french borders. The downside: The very name Chablis is spoofed on five continents, often to describe wines of low quality. Close to the vineyards of Champagne, Chablis appellation covers the eponymous village and the 19 municipalities and hamlets that surround it. Made of Chardonnay grown on Kimmeridgian limestone hillsides, the wines owe their character to the nature of the climate, cool and mainly continental - cold winters, warm summers. There are four appellations, Chablis Petit Chablis, Chablis, Chablis Premier Cru and at the top, Chablis Grand Cru. In total, the vineyards of Chablis cover 4845 hectares, what means 17.5% of the total area of the Burgundian vineyard. Often of a pale color with hints of green, the wines of Chablis offer a nice freshness in their youth. After a few years of cellar, they become round and develop a large aromatic panel consisting mainly of fresh fruits, white flowers and dried fruit. The mineral aromas, of flint in particular, are also one of their main characteristics. The best climates are Montée de Tonnerre, Fourchaume, Mont de Milieu, Butteaux and Léchet. 

• Like 31
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 11

In honor of stuffed mushroom day, a few facts about mushrooms I learned in Kennett Square PA. 

·       Mushrooms are the #1 cash crop in PA.

·       One acre of land can produce 1 million pounds of mushrooms annually

·       Mushrooms are good for you.  They can help in the fight against cancer; they have anti- aging properties; they can reduce the odds of cognitive decline.

My favorite stuffed mushroom recipe includes MD crab meat.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 4

Good morning all!

It’s a balmy 14 degrees, but at least it stopped snowing. It looks like we got about about 9-10 inches. Love the comment @superomathat your main roads are clear of 10 inches. Not so here. In fact one of our issues is that our main road is also a state highway, we have to wait for the state to plow it and we are low on their list apparently. So it usually works that you struggle to get out of your subdivision, have nice clear side streets and then turn onto Telegraph Rd (aka Hwy 231) and plow through the mess. 

I will take a pass on the days and the food although the drink sounds good and I rarely reject a wine 😉. The description of bubblegum day from @grapau27 reminded me that our kids won’t be chewing gum in school today because, with the bad weather, they’ve switched to a half day of virtual learning after which they can go sledding.

I have not been to Mozambique, but I have a lot of friends who have traveled there. My church here in Missouri has something called the Mozambique Initiative where we pledge to support individual pastors or whole churches. My church paid the salary of one pastor for quite a few years. Some have traveled there to meet the friends they made. One thing that stayed with me was the comment that when it’s time for the church offering, Mozambicans come down the aisle singing and dancing, they are so happy to give their offering. That does not happen at my church. One friend said, after church, one of the farmers came to him and gave him a live chicken to take back to his church in St Louis, because that man wanted to help. Poor Tom, what a dilemma, delighted for the gift, but knowing he could not get a live chicken on the plane. Looking forward to any pictures shared.

Prayers for all on our care list 🙏 and a toast to celebrations everywhere 🍷.

Take care all,

St Louis Sal

• Like 37

Good Morning from a sunny and warm day at the beach

Suppose to be a really nice day with rain and cooler weather over the weekend. We will see. Scheduled to play golf in early AM so hope it holds off.

No bubblegum for me, but I love stuffed mushrooms. Have not been to todays port.

The quote is interesting. It reminds me of what my Dad used to tell us. He would say, stand on the curb while everyone else is swimming in the gutter.  I still say it .  Makes sense and a much better approach to life's controversies.

Have water aerobics this AM. This afternoon, we are heading down to Jetty Park. DD loves it there. 

We  can watch the ships leave.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 33

Good morning, everyone!

It is a snowy morning here.   Schools are all closed and side roads are still full of snow.  I shoveled twice yesterday to try to keep up with the snow.  Plow company never came.  Hopefully, they'll make it today.  Otherwise I'll be looking for a new company.

Today's meal is rather interesting.  I think this is one that I'll have to wait for someone else to make as I would never find some of the ingredients here.   

Trey Amok considered to be Cambodia’s national dish is a lovely steamed fish curry that is typically steamed in banana leaf. This recipe is made in one pot and placed in a banana leaf boat for presentation. The result is pretty darn close to the real thing.

This classic trey amok dish is served with steamed white rice for a fantastic meal. This recipe utilized the technique of making a paste using a mortar and pestle, which is used quite a bit in Khmer cuisine.

https://www.internationalcuisine.com/cambodia-trey-amok/

831797740_AmokTrey.thumb.jpg.98737d50f6802548b2c0a978828d9059.jpg

This one is a bit simpler and has suggestions for substitutions along with more history of the cuisine.  https://grantourismotravels.com/cambodian-fish-amok-recipe/

2120441459_amoktrey2.thumb.jpg.03c1d9327ae01a20a78dc67c65331f83.jpg

Prayers for all who need them and cheers for those who are celebrating.  Wishing everyone a wonderful day!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 10

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the TGIF Daily, Rich.  I think I'll pass on all 3 of today's days, as well as the fish.  I love the Oscar Wilde quote but have not been to Mozambique. 

It's raining here now but warm.  The cold is due here late morning with a possibility of freezing rain and does not really appear to be reliably safe to be outdoors until sometime tomorrow. 

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui, dealing with more than should be on anyone’s shoulders
Healing for the Dailyite family

Welfare of furloughed crews
Safety for those in the path of winter storms, especially Texas and Seasick Sailor
ger_77 DH Cardiac issues and cancelled cruise
Numerious dailyite friends and family with covid
From the rotation:
kakalina with spreading lung cancer in hospice
NextOne  DDIL with mystery illness
summer slope BCC surgery in February
rafinmd recovering from radiation side effects

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Occasional contributors including Copper10_8
Mobile vet
5 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Carnival Group  hospital ships Nieuw Amsterdam, Crown Princess, and Queen Victoria
Sam problem less serious than expected
Cruiser Bill (Koningsdam to 2/20) HighlandCruiser (Nieuw Statendam to 2/13), and Cruising single at sea  (Zuiderdam to 2/13)
1 day for Lady Hudson (Enchantment OTS to 2/25)
Tana making video call
Several dailyites booking cruises
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for supplying the care, celebrations and shout out lists Roy.

Graham

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I haven't had bubble gum for ages, but loved blowing bubbles with it.  I was going to say I have no idea how to create a vacuum, but then realized I do it every summer when I inject marinade into a roast that is cooked on the barbecue.  Love stuffed mushrooms!

Another frigid day on the frozen tundra with a temp of -32C; if there's one saving grace to all of this, it's that we usually have bright sunshine.  It would be awfully depressing if we had grey skies along with the constant cold - we wear our sunglasses year 'round up here.  I feel for all of you who are facing the wrath of another storm - usually your storms bring along ice that can be so damaging.  

@mamaofamiwhat an inept group of people you are having to deal with!  Unbelievable that they wouldn't have the list of the meds he received shortly after he was released - I'm shaking my head over that one.  I think someone just didn't want to be bothered to look it up because I can't believe they'd remove the record.

@summer slope I'm sure I'd like today's drink, or practically anything that has sugar on the rim - I dislike salted rims.  

Not sure about today's menu suggestion, I'll wait to read the recipe.  It's Friday night, pizza night at our house, so we'll see what looks good on the delivery menu.  Pizza sounds like a great meal for a cold winter's night.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  We'll clink the glasses to cheer on everyone on the happy list.  Wash your hands, be safe, wear your masks, get your boosters, stay well and keep warm!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 38