The Daily for Friday 02/11/2022

richwmn

Good morning all!

Nice collection of days today, but I'll pass on the meal, drink and wine. Dinner tonight will be at DD's house, I don't know yet what she has planned.  We're bringing some Valentine goodie bags for the grandsons.

I hope someone has photos of Lautoka to share.  Never have been to Fiji, but will be for the first time on the Grand Australia in a couple years.  I'm looking forward to seeing the beauty and flowers, the heat and humidity not so much...Looking at the weather for there and Australia, we'll be having 90+ F most days.  Years ago I bought one of those neck cooler wrap things (sorry don't remember the correct name) when we did the Panama Canal cruise.  I should look for one of those again, and stock up on hot weather clothes. 😉  

@smitty34877thank you for another great photo of beautiful Camilla.  She's a doll!  And those eyes....😍

@Cruzin Terriyou've gotten some good advice re your mail situation.  All I can add is that if (and this is a big if) you have a good PO, you could get a PO box for while you're gone.  A couple years ago we were gone for 75 days and did that.  But in our case I learned the hard way that our PO here isn't so great and they messed up big time. 😞  Luckily I had a neighbor who also checked our box periodically, because they never stopped delivering our mail, and the mailman even left a note on our front door complaining that our mail was piling up!   When I complained to the supervisor after returning home, all I got was an apology, not even a refund of the cost of the PO box.  So now we have a neighbor collect our mail, or use the forwarding to another address (our daughter's address). 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

Am I first with pictures of Lautoka?  We were there on Statendam.  Now I will try to post them really quickly! And come back later, after we get our batch of wine bottled

We took a ship's tour and visited Raymond Burr's home and beautiful garden.  Also saw a lot of sugar cane growing and waiting to be picked up by train.

IMGP0866.thumb.JPG.a7a0f725b242d6c5db5916d5d3513522.JPG

IMGP0858.thumb.JPG.dd6ed7cec81e77afe8cdf0c96d516018.JPG

IMGP0828.thumb.JPG.45e9217cf86717fadb1a61b3bccc079e.JPG

IMGP0815.thumb.JPG.8f9ba243123807128b87b45293410b16.JPG

P1000298.thumb.JPG.dc4dfa61fc61e58fdb2c1c30ca7c1b45.JPG

IMGP0864.thumb.JPG.4bf1d68bfa32ee43e6fa66f8da6b2b6d.JPG

P1000285.JPG

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 6

12 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

I just came across this. Nothing to do about cruising but I would have never imagined this was coming.

I can see where this could cause issues with police looking for a particular coloured vehicle if they don’t have a license plate number as an identifier. 

• Like 14

@Cruzin TerriI second the idea of talking to the supervisor at the post office.  We (before covid) often cruise as long as 71 days and usually more than 30.  I asked my local mail deliverer about it and he said "No problem, just fill in the date you want us to stop delivering and when you will pick it up on the yellow form and we will take care of it".  We also live in a small city, so that may help.

Ray

• Like 16

The quote is perfect for today.  "I have not failed".  We both did our Binax now tests this morning and we are both negative.  Mine went off without a hitch.  John's took almost an hour and a half.  He had the wrong Binax app (the green one needed the blue one) so he couldn't scan the bar code on the back to start the test.  Finally we got a live person on the phone and finished his.  

The drink sounded like for a party, the dish is ok, and the Malbec is a nice wine.  We have a couple of bottles at home.  I have been off CC so I will have to try to find out what is going on with the NS azipods.  

We are celebrating a clean COVID test at The Boatyard tonight for an early dinner.  🍾 We did Happy Hour there yesterday, DF had lots of oysters I can't have them except from Canada or Washington so I had calamari.  Kelly's Landing for dinner tomorrow.  

We drove south through Bowling Green KY and I forgot to share what we saw north of the town.  It was a beautiful sunny day and I noticed about 30' up in a standing tree a piece of shiny red and silver sheet metal.  It was 4' by about 30' wrapped around the tree trunk.  Next to it were blown over trees from the tornado that hit Mayville KY.   There was FEMA housing in an old Sears store.   It will take a long time to get things anywhere near back to normalcy.   

Prayers for everyone on Roy's care list.   🙏

• Like 19

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

I can see where this could cause issues with police looking for a particular coloured vehicle if they don’t have a license plate number as an identifier. 

I was thinking the same thing.  And with the way my brain has gone lately, i’d probably forget what colour I changed the car to when I tried to find it in the parking lot 😉 

• Like 4
  • Haha 21

28 minutes ago, bennybear said:

@kazu does the medication timing have any impact?  

No idea but something to try Brenda.  He gets it twice a day.  I usually give him the last dose around 5 pm.  Will try for earlier and see if that helps tomorrow. Or perhaps it would be better later in the evening.  I play by guess and by gosh.  

• Like 19

6 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Makes one wonder when a dozen roses are cheaper than chicken wings bought for Super Bowl Sunday???

Does this mean chicken wings will become a delicacy?   Who'd a thought?

6 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning to  all. My niece(Camilla 's  Grandma) was married to a Portuguese  man and has made this delicious  dish for us many times. We have a great fish market nearby and I could get the Cod there.Thanks, Debbie @dfish.

I have a new baby picture.She was watching her Grandma and  shifted to the side.Her sitting balance is improving  and she is  such a joy to us all.

7090.jpeg

I'm glad you enjoy today's meal.   Miss Camilla is a real looker.  She is going to break hearts, that is for sure!

3 hours ago, lindaler said:

I was gone about 60 days this last time. Usually I take my request to hold my mail in and have a chat about my trip. They just put, hold until picked up. But I am at a small post office so don't know how it works in a big city.

That is what I do.   The last time I had mail held they told me they could not start it back up until the held mail was picked up and I gave them the order to restart delivery.   The postmaster did tell me to send them a postcard close to the 30 day mark asking to continue to hold my mail.  It has always worked.

2 hours ago, kazu said:

I was wracking my brain to figure out why this was sounding so tempting.  We’ve had that in Madeira and it’s delicious.  

I was wondering if this was a dish you were familiar with.

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Cmd + p didn’t work for the photos but I am a 10 finger typist and like my keyboard - so all the Ipads have always had keyboards.  They work great.  

Plus their protective covers help protect the Ipad from a bad fall (and I have had that happen a few times 😉 )

Back when the CC gremlins wouldn't let me like or post, I bought a bluetooth keyboard for my Kindle.  That was the only device I could use to post the daily meals.  Of course, as soon as I bought and used it once, CC decided to let me back in.  

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Years ago I bought one of those neck cooler wrap things (sorry don't remember the correct name) when we did the Panama Canal cruise.  I should look for one of those again, and stock up on hot weather clothes. 😉  

They are called Neck Cooler Thingies.   You were close!    When I had my first knee replacement the physical therapist came out to the house the first two weeks.  I kept calling the sock assist device a Sock Putter Oner and he kept correcting me.  I also showed off my Grabby Reachy Thingy.   I explained to him that in my house we used correct terminology for medical devices.  He said, "Excuse me.  I have to get my Therapy Measury Thingy."   

• Like 6
  • Haha 18

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

I just came across this. Nothing to do about cruising but I would have never imagined this was coming.

Just because something is technically possible doesn't mean it is a good idea! 

E-Ink is an electrophoretic display technology that is decent at grayscale but not so good with colors. It is the same type of display technology used in black and white Kindles. Covering a car with films of this material (not to mention all the electrical interconnections and control circuitry) sounds crazy to me. It would make a cool showroom demonstration but I don't expect to actually see one on the road. 

• Like 15

Whew!!! CC has decided to let me in. I could read, but it would not let me post.... not that I have much to say today. Am house cleaning.... a job I hate.

I have not been to Fiji. Looking forward to it in 2024. The meal looks interesting but not really my style. Probably would be fine with it if someone else cooked it. Guess I am just feeling lazy.

I note that some of you are tackling your taxes. I filed mine a couple of weeks ago. Got my Fed refund  in 7 days. That has to be record. The State tells me it will be about 60 days. Neither refund is large but every bit helps.

Susan

• Like 19

Well today has been an exciting day so far.

Part One -

We awoke to the sound of chainsaws. It was the city cutting down Ash trees in front of our house (and the neighbors). Along our road, people don't actually own all of their front yard although they treat it as they do. It goes back to the original platting of the neighborhood in 1886. The original road was set back from the lake with lots on both sides. At some point, the city converted the lakeside lots into parkland and put the current road much closer to the lake. But they kept the original lot-lines from the 1886 plat corresponding to the original road plan. So technically, the area between the 1886 lot-line and the current road is owned by the city. 

To make a long story marginally less long, Saint Paul is removing diseased Ash trees on city property. We had 4 marked for removal and today was the day - 

20220211_091937.thumb.jpg.4bbd533fd99de61bdb2066502a9049e7.jpg

It will certainly change the look of the yard. They do plan to replace the trees but I don't when and with what and whether we have any say in the matter.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

@Cruzin TerriI second the idea of talking to the supervisor at the post office.  We (before covid) often cruise as long as 71 days and usually more than 30.  I asked my local mail deliverer about it and he said "No problem, just fill in the date you want us to stop delivering and when you will pick it up on the yellow form and we will take care of it".  We also live in a small city, so that may help.

Ray

Thanks for your advice.

Terri

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

@Cruzin Terriyou've gotten some good advice re your mail situation.  All I can add is that if (and this is a big if) you have a good PO, you could get a PO box for while you're gone.  A couple years ago we were gone for 75 days and did that.  But in our case I learned the hard way that our PO here isn't so great and they messed up big time. 😞  Luckily I had a neighbor who also checked our box periodically, because they never stopped delivering our mail, and the mailman even left a note on our front door complaining that our mail was piling up!   When I complained to the supervisor after returning home, all I got was an apology, not even a refund of the cost of the PO box.  So now we have a neighbor collect our mail, or use the forwarding to another address (our daughter's address). 

Thanks for your advice.

Terri

• Like 11

Exciting Day Part Two -

Our PCC got back to us while I was drinking coffee and watching the tree cutting extravaganza.

She was able to move us to the March 16 - April 6 Nieuw Statendam sailing! The cost was actually less by $144 per person and she got the free gratuities (72 hour sale) applied! And when she redid the airfare through Flight Ease it came in at less than 1/2 the previous airfares. And she and her family will be sailing with us on the second leg. Win, win, win, win. I think @sailingdutchy may be on this cruise as well! 

Maybe I had better go and buy some lottery tickets before this luck wears off...

• Like 28

19 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

Exciting Day Part Two -

Our PCC got back to us while I was drinking coffee and watching the tree cutting extravaganza.

She was able to move us to the March 16 - April 6 Nieuw Statendam sailing! The cost was actually less by $144 per person and she got the free gratuities (72 hour sale) applied! And when she redid the airfare through Flight Ease it came in at less than 1/2 the previous airfares. And she and her family will be sailing with us on the second leg. Win, win, win, win. I think @sailingdutchy may be on this cruise as well! 

Maybe I had better go and buy some lottery tickets before this luck wears off...

To clarify here, is his March 16 or March 18.  I thought the ship was going out of service for 2 days for the azipod repairs beginning March 16.  Not sure if you want to start your trip off with 2 days in the hotel.

Roy

• Like 6